Should I start this game?

shxrpay

I'm going to be getting a PSVR in the next week, and was wondering if I should start this game. The 7.5/10 for the main game over at ps3imports.org seems daunting because I usually like to stick to games that are a ~5.5/10 at most. If the aiming accessory definitely helps to ease the difficulty, I think I'll wait to start it until I get that, if I ever do. I know that the challenges or whatever they're called are supposed to be the hardest part, and I see there are many more of those in the DLC trophy packs, and I was planning to do those aswell. Is it worth it? I don't want to start it and then quit because of the difficulty and add another game to my backlog ?.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how doable the game is without the aim accessory? I want to play it but I don't want to buy the aim accessory lmao. The game looks fun, it's a bit tedious since you need to find a partner for online but luckily the boost is not too long.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, timpurnat said:

Does anyone know how doable the game is without the aim accessory? I want to play it but I don't want to buy the aim accessory lmao. The game looks fun, it's a bit tedious since you need to find a partner for online but luckily the boost is not too long.

I feel the exact same way, if I do start it I'd be down to boost with you ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shxrpay said:

I feel the exact same way, if I do start it I'd be down to boost with you 1f601.png

Sure thing, I just want to be sure before playing, that playing without aim accessory doesn't make the game 10 times more annoying xD 50$+ is a bit much ngl

Edited by timpurnat
  • Like 1

I would assume it's *almost" impossible without the aim gun.

I have platinum in Firewall: Zero Hour, and that game is also *almost* impossible without the aim gun.
I started playing with dualshock controller in the beginning, but found out that you can't play with a controller vs people with the aim gun. The precision and speed that the aim gun offers, seems like a must in these VR games with very strict requirements.

Farpoint has no PvP like Firewall, but the challenges alone need to be perfected.
I'll start on this game as soon as I'm done with COTW, and see how hard it is with and without the aim controller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shxrpay said:

I'm going to be getting a PSVR in the next week, and was wondering if I should start this game. The 7.5/10 for the main game over at ps3imports.org seems daunting because I usually like to stick to games that are a ~5.5/10 at most. If the aiming accessory definitely helps to ease the difficulty, I think I'll wait to start it until I get that, if I ever do. I know that the challenges or whatever they're called are supposed to be the hardest part, and I see there are many more of those in the DLC trophy packs, and I was planning to do those aswell. Is it worth it? I don't want to start it and then quit because of the difficulty and add another game to my backlog 1f605.png.

I have been playing for a little and farpoint is very fun and enjoyable when discussing gameplay. I haven't even done any of the challenges except 1 coop one but it was very fun even with an unknown person. I would say the consider the challenges difficult to a point with no practice, I would expect to spend 1-3 hours on each challenge depending on difficulty with continuous practice.   would not worry about the dlc since apart from some grindy trophies all the dlc 3 medals challenges are very possible with another person when you play just for fun. Just worry about the main game challenges and you'll be good. If you have any other questions, even if dumb, I'll be glad to answer, I was also very skeptical when starting this game.

1 hour ago, timpurnat said:

The game is very playable with the controller. The only issue are certain points of aim drift but that's about it.

4 minutes ago, shxrpay said:

So just to be clear, it's possible and doesn't really add any unnecessary difficulty to just use the DS4 over the aim controller for the plat + dlc?

Not really, I never saw I reason to have the aim controller for like 3 games. I've played firewall which was another game with aim controller support but the game was not difficult. I haven't done any main game challenges and would be happy to report on that when I get there but so far from my experience it isn't overly difficult to get the the dlc done (coop or multiplayer trophies). I would say there are benefits to use the aim controller, but there are no downfalls when using the dualshock. Just focus on unlocking the good guns and switch weapons on specific missions and just memorize the missions as you go through them.

Edited by Burstawesome
  • Like 2

I have the platinum : this game is great, probably my best VR game  (aim controler is a must if you want to really enjoy this game) but be careful the platinum is really very difficult even if definitely doable with a lot of training. The videos made by Skroq are very helpful to understand how to get 3 stars in each level. Anyway, don’t hesitate to play this game and buy the controler, you’ll not regret it :)

• Like 2

I as well have the platinum, and 100%, this platinum is no joke. However, it is all skill-based, trial and error along with knowledge of the run ahead. That said, this isn't a collect-a-thon but the game will make you frustrated. I love the game and am very proud to have the platinum! I hope a second game is in the works!

• Like 4

Wanted to give an update since I just started doing the main game challenges yesterday. I started yesterday, and in 5-6 hours I have gotten 3 levels with 3 medals. Wanted to give some insight since I use the Dualshock and I'm relatively new to the game(only have done 1 coop challenge, and just completed the campaign).

Homecoming Mission: This was the second mission I did after completing flight. I managed to complete this short mission in 8 minutes of total of tries. I would consider this the easiest one I have done so far, definitely possible even if it's your first challenge.

Flight Mission: This was so far out of the 3 the longest and difficult challenge. I spent around 3-4 hours on this singular challenge and was 2k points short many times for 3 stars. This is apparently the longest mission in the game so luckily I finished this one up. I would say it wasn't overly difficult ,but the length definitely made it difficult to play. This was my first challenge out of the three so my reflexes took a while to form.

Garrison Mission: This was the one I accomplished a few minutes ago. This one took around 1-2 hours and from face-value the last segment of the mission is the most difficult part. Wasn't incredibly long and not too difficult.

For all these missions I used the shotgun(level 5) and precision rifle(level 5). For anyone wondering, these few challenges were not incredibly difficult and I had a lot of fun completing them. Only during a select few moments did I feel frustrated. When discussing the Dualshock, the controller uncentered sometimes, but majority of the time it performed well. Expect to keep the Dualshock controller close to your mouth the majority of the time. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask!

Edited by Burstawesome
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Burstawesome said:

Wanted to give an update since just a few minutes ago I finished all the challenges in the entire game. I pretty much have the plat just need random trophies and weapon levels. This game IMO is very overrated in the difficulty of the challenges. After completing flight as my first challenge all the other main game challenges were relatively easy, spend around 30-40 minutes on each, and 1 or 2 took a little over an hour. I will to put my descriptions of how each challenge went for me.

Arrival: This is apparently suppose to be the hardest challenge in the game. But apart from the grinding in some sections it was not difficult, one of the easier ones in the game. Just focus on grinding points in a few sections and this one will come naturally. Took around 30 minutes to complete.

Decent: Another difficult challenges supposedly, but 50% of the challenge is running and the last half is surviving. Just make sure to take almost not hit until the last section, and jut grind points until the timer runs out. This is one also took around 30-40 minutes.

Summit: This challenges took me 2 tries to complete. There are enough enemies in the map to just run through and kill everything, but I stayed in some spots to grind some points and completed this challenge easily. Very normal nothing special here. Took 10 minutes to complete.

Remains: If you are doing the challenges in order this should be the first challenge with drones. Apart from the drones which are the majority of the enemies this challenge, there are almost no ground level enemies. If you completed Flight first like me you might have some reflexes to face of these enemies, but if not you might find difficulty in this challenge. Took 4 tries and completed it in around 10-15 minutes.

Vestige: The final Challenge I need to complete the 3 stars trophies. This challenge was very simple no techniques or anything. Just run through the map quickly and kill everything like you usually do and you should get 3 stars first try like me. Very simple compared to others, so if you want easy trophies start with Homecoming or this challenge.

Co-op Challenges: I will make a general description for all the coop challenges from the dlc since they are all relatively the same techniques. All the challenges on solo are just run and kill challenges, don't worry about grinding. These solo challenges should be very easy  compared to main game challenges. The co-op challenges you need a decent partner (not extraordinary). Your options are either to do the challenges on hard and just reach the end with enough points, or have a good performance on medium (no hits, fast multipliers). Hard allows for many mistakes so I wouldn't worry, that's how I did it.

Hopefully this helps you guys if you're worried about starting still. IMO the platinum is not impossible or even hard, but it does require some skill. You can either practice by doing the co-op stuff then main, or you can start with Flight as I accredit that mission to helping me become a good farpoint player. GL if you wish to attempt this platinum, I'm here if you need me.

@RNumbers Hopefully this is enough to trust me, you seemed you have an issue with the challenges. 1f601.png

Thanks for the tips! Very helpful, I will start the game in the near future. Did you do everything without an aim controller?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burstawesome said:

@RNumbers Hopefully this is enough to trust me, you seemed you have an issue with the challenges. 1f601.png

Like I said, it was nothing personal. Congrats on the completion. Can you also give some pointers for That's Some Good Shootin'?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

Like I said, it was nothing personal. Congrats on the completion. Can you also give some pointers for That's Some Good Shootin'?

I'm only joking, just get your partner to make sure you get 100 kills and just use the precision rifle when going for the 100 kills. Make sure you won't miss when you shoot, a few mistakes are allowed.