rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

On 12/8/2021 at 9:13 PM, rjkclarke said:

You're very welcome!

You should absolutely be proud of that man - it's incredibly good, so detailed too.

It is patently clear just from reading even a few of the early parts how much care and attention actually went into making that guide - so all the praise and love I'm sure it is going to receive are absolutely deserved!

Well I really appreciate it ? 

I am proud of it, probably best one I've written, beating my other Sonic guide and Toy Story Mania guide.

I love that Cardboard Chewbacca - I saw that years ago, and thought it was really well done.

I reckon most of us saw so little sunlight last year - that a good proportion of people could probably rock Data's pale face - although give it about five years or so, and I might have a giant Brent Spiner forehead if I start to lose my hair 1f60f.png....

It is definitely well done. Very creative.

Ah, well there you go then. I'll have to think of another character then and let you have Data haha

It's from the 80's but it's honestly one of the most unique instances of Robin Hood that I've seen (well apart from the Disney ones where they're animals).

It's a little hokey in places - and it deals with  quite a few supernatural themes. There's a lot of thematic elements about reincarnation and spirituality. A wonderful ensemble cast, and in the first two series at least some of the best cinematography you can find in British TV - Jesus do the Blu Ray releases, really showcase how beautiful some of the imagery was in this series.

But it's an incredibly unique take on the Robin Hood mythos - and one of my favourite bands Clannad also wrote and made pretty much the entirety of the score.

I'll erm shut up about Robin of Sherwood now1f606.png

Now that is an interesting sounding take on Robin Hood, never even heard of it before. Reincarnation and spirituality in Robin Hood certainly sounds like an intriguing premise. I will have to read up about it more.

I think you hit the nail on the head that it helps if its something you feel something for - otherwise I'd worry I'd lose a little motivation, writing so much about something that I probably don't care about enough to do it justice.

Yeah definitely. I believe it's an integral part of writing a quality trophy guide personally.

It's another sweet platinum to have Resident Evil 7..... 

Before you know it you'll be on 249, the way you're going, then straight into Resident Evil 2

Seriously one of the most pleasant surprises I've had in the last few years was how much I really loved that game, I guess after Resident Evil 6 broke my spirit a bit, it was a nice change of pace.

RE6 is fine I guess - as a game at least - but as a trophy list, it is horrible, grinding out all of the currency to upgrade all of the currency felt so tedious,even with podcasts and music to keep me entertained the whole way through.

Yeah, I'm just trying to get the time and opportunity to play it at the mo. Circumstances have changed and therefore I'm not getting the opportunities to play RE7 as I thought I would. Just knocking off other platinums I had set up in the mean time hence the sudden rise from 225 lol

I liked RE6 for what it was, some parts more than others but then I never went for the platinum at the time so hearing from you about a massive grind for the platinum is a real shame.

I could use Murderified by an army of asshole moles - as a working title for that review haha - I think I've got a funny-ish one though, so we'll see. I got doubly murdered by the moles, for the small bit of time I played of the game yesterday.

Hoping to be done with that soon though - and get it reviewed, because the less I think about that game, probably the better - what is my weird fascination with completing games part of a series (although I'm still a bit pick-and-choosy with that,) even if they aren't that good. Yet I refuse to play Metal Gear Rising, even though I know it's good - I just think it really damages the franchise its a part of, undermining the end of a certain characters story arc from MGS4.

Yeah I think rants kind of have to be a little bit humorous, otherwise as you say they just get boring pretty quickly - I find the more you read of one, you essentially just start to think, okay, okay, we get it you didn't like it,you had a bad time? But some of it must have been enjoyable on some level, or why did you carry on 1f602.png

Haha well that title would work certainly but I'll be interested to see the one you come up with!

Oh, MGS Rising was fun in terms of the gameplay. The story, well MGS was pretty confusing to me as a whole tbh but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Haha that's very true. There has to be something you liked about it, otherwise why waste the time and energy ranting over it lol

That's a fair way back - Dead Space 2 must have released about ten years ago haha.

That is true - they drop in price so quickly, it's ridiculous - I end up Ebaying quite a lot of physical editions - you can get some real bargains, obviously. I picked up Lego Movie 2 the Video game, for like £6 sealed last year, which still seems too much actually - now that I've played it 1f612.png

Damn was that the PS5 version of Miles Morales? I totally would have snapped that up myself had I known about it - that's a frustrating one to miss out on for sure, I'm with you on that one.

You were so close to being first! Even closer to being second - by like a minute - how frustrating. I had a little look just now. 

Precisely! lol 

Yeah absolutely they really do. £6 for Lego Movie 2 is very good, but then you didn't like it so yeah....lol

Yeah that was for the PS5 version. Sadly my local Tesco's video game range is minimal at best and so they didn't have it. Bloody bargain that would have been.

Haha yeah I know. Originally for the first small period of time after doing it, I showed up as first on the leaderboard and then after waiting a couple more days the others appeared and I fell to 3rd lol o well.

That's fair yeah - there's no real reason to dislike certain players - well apart from Quinten Hann, that guy was a complete cock.

Nice to see Crafty Ken Doherty and John Parrott make your list - Parrott was probably one of the best players of all time of being able to pot balls when the cue ball was up against the cushion - he had an uncanny knack for that,

Ahh yeah that Dennis Vs Steve  85 final.  They actually did like a little comedy rematch in 2010 - that you can find on YouTube which is really funny - it's just them pratting about and having a laugh, but I remember seeing it on the BBC when it aired and thought it was hilarious.

Dennis really cracks me up anyway as a commentator - there was a bit in the World Seniors Championship, last year when Jimmy White was playing, and you know how they used to nickname him "The Whirlwind"......... Well, in the middle of the match after Jimmy had missed an important ball, Dennis comes out with the immortal line

" They used to say that he was The Whirlwind....... These days he's more of a light breeze"

That just absolutely had me howling for some reason.

I guess I ought to go and do my science homework  - by seeing how the latest batch of games fares against the old game science!

Quinten Hann, that name rings a bell but you will have have to remind me why....

Yeah John Parrott definitely had a knack of being able to pull those shots off.

Haha I do not remember them doing a comedy rematch but they would always bring it up when commentating together of course. That line abour Jimmy White is pretty hilarious haha

On 12/8/2021 at 10:08 PM, Copanele said:

I'll double the stake and recommend this as one other REQUIRED Robin of Sherwood that must be watched:

That image definitely seems familiar, like I've seen it advertised on TV. Guy is familiar too but don't know the name. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Well that was an experience - I can't say that I exactly loved this, but I didn't really hate it either.

In all fairness though - I feel like I'd be a bit of an arse to recommend it to fellow EuroRPG lover @Copanele- you might get so frustrated you'd actually turn into your Avatar, what a scary thought, but those Moles will make you rage man, no joke.

Hah thanks for the Euro shoutout xD 

Nice review! However, I think I will safely skip this one. There's one type of EuroRPG that I usually avoid, and that's the "Futuristic setting" or "dystopian futuristic setting where everyone is dressed in rags". Somehow I never get around to like those types of games, jank included, reason why I also skipped playing Elex, despite being done by Piranha Bytes (bless Gothic).

Also to hell with Martian Moles! I saw them in a video, they're like the Ghouls in Witcher 3 only more vicious.

13 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

That image definitely seems familiar, like I've seen it advertised on TV. Guy is familiar too but don't know the name. Thanks for the recommendation!

Robin Hood Men in Tights really is peak comedy, and Cary Elwes is one charismatic actor!

I admit, I liked him more in "Princess Bride", but that movie is legendary status anyway :D 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Robin Hood Men in Tights really is peak comedy, and Cary Elwes is one charismatic actor!

I admit, I liked him more in "Princess Bride", but that movie is legendary status anyway :D 

Yes Princess Bride, that's where I recognise him from. Not that I've seen more than a few snippits of that film in passing lol a lot of classics I haven't got around to watching lol

• Like 3

Sorry for the late-ish reply here guys - I'm Stranded Deep..... Well actually I'm playing Stranded Deep at least :lol:.... I'm writing this in between keeping myself alive with Coconuts. Like you do. I can definitely see the appeal of games like this though - it's another genre I'm very unfamiliar with, but I'm enjoying cranking out some music, and crafting bits and bobs from crap I found on a beach!

15 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Well I really appreciate it 1f44d.png 

I am proud of it, probably best one I've written, beating my other Sonic guide and Toy Story Mania guide.

That's awesome to hear!

Have you got your sights set on anymore guides coming up? Or is that your fill for now?

Ah, well there you go then. I'll have to think of another character then and let you have Data haha

Nah - I don't want to be Data yet, he's all yours buddy haha, my hair isn't quite heading into "wide parting" ? status just yet...... Nothing wrong with being follically challenged obviously - I've been rocking long hair for sixteen years - I want to avoid looking like Lynch from Kane & Lynch for as long as possible :lol:

Now that is an interesting sounding take on Robin Hood, never even heard of it before. Reincarnation and spirituality in Robin Hood certainly sounds like an intriguing premise. I will have to read up about it more.

I'm planning on writing a few non gaming related things in this thread at some point - and that Robin Hood series is probably going to be one of those things I end up writing about.

I love it so much.... Robin basically has his own Obi-Wan/ Yoda equivalent with a character called Herne the Hunter, who's loosely based on Pagan Folklore -  which I thought was a really interesting direction to go.

Fu700In.png

This shot - is what I meant about gorgeous cinematography - it's so well framed, the use of colour and lighting is just so brilliant.... It just has atmosphere straight out the wazoo

Oh dear - now I want to go and watch the show now for like the umpteenth time!

Yeah definitely. I believe it's an integral part of writing a quality trophy guide personally.

Whoever writes the guides for the Breakthrough Arcade games should probably either be given a medal then - or carted off to a sanatorium, I'm really not sure which though :lol:

Yeah, I'm just trying to get the time and opportunity to play it at the mo. Circumstances have changed and therefore I'm not getting the opportunities to play RE7 as I thought I would. Just knocking off other platinums I had set up in the mean time hence the sudden rise from 225 lol

I liked RE6 for what it was, some parts more than others but then I never went for the platinum at the time so hearing from you about a massive grind for the platinum is a real shame.

Well hopefully an opportunity opens up for you - and you can get back on the RE7 horse.

I like RE 6 too actually - I don't love it either, but I think it's a lot better than people actually give it any credit for. It's got some decent characters we aren't probably likely to see again - unless in the rumoured Revelations 3 you and I discussed before decide to bring back someone like Sheva or Jake, like when they brought Barry back for Revelations 2.

My main issue with RE6 is the trophies - it's one of those times where the act of getting the platinum can leave you pretty jaded. Or it did with me anyway.

Haha well that title would work certainly but I'll be interested to see the one you come up with!

Oh, MGS Rising was fun in terms of the gameplay. The story, well MGS was pretty confusing to me as a whole tbh but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Haha that's very true. There has to be something you liked about it, otherwise why waste the time and energy ranting over it lol

In the end I adapted  a David Bowie album title - because it seemed fairly apt, considering the developer and the setting haha.

I don't doubt I'd actually like MGS Rising - I just won't allow myself to play it. I guess I'm becoming like Decadus in Drakengard 3 and just denying myself that very specific pleasure of not playing the game ?

Don't worry you aren't the onlyone confused by MGS - just think of it like this, you can explain everything with............ "BECUASE NANOMACHINES!"

I don't usually have the problem of finding something I like - I always try to be positive where I can, negativity just isn't particularly easy for me. Unless it's a certain Saints Row spin off that has Mayhem in the title , in which case it can go and sit on a cactus.

16 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Yeah absolutely they really do. £6 for Lego Movie 2 is very good, but then you didn't like it so yeah....lol

Yeah that was for the PS5 version. Sadly my local Tesco's video game range is minimal at best and so they didn't have it. Bloody bargain that would have been.

Haha yeah I know. Originally for the first small period of time after doing it, I showed up as first on the leaderboard and then after waiting a couple more days the others appeared and I fell to 3rd lol o well.

Lego Movie 2 was alright - it just wasn't that amazing either - but neither was the film either.  At least it was a way of finding out if I could tolerate LEGO: Worlds, which it looks like I can. So every cloud has a silver lining and all that. 

I'm in a similar situation with supermarkets actually - closest one to me that has a decent selection of games is Asda- but its the entire other side of town to me, so I don't go there all that often.

That would have been a steal the PS5 Miles Morales - I'm quite looking forward tot hat one, when I eventually find a PS5.

At least you are third though - nobody else can say that.You know the trophy I'd hate to be the first achiever for in that game? The 10,000 kills trophy, that must feel like a pretty empty accomplishment.

Quinten Hann, that name rings a bell but you will have have to remind me why....

Yeah John Parrott definitely had a knack of being able to pull those shots off.

Haha I do not remember them doing a comedy rematch but they would always bring it up when commentating together of course. That line abour Jimmy White is pretty hilarious haha

I'll PM you a link to that Steve Davis and Dennis match at some point, but it'd probably make you laugh if you were particularly down or fed up that day, it's just very wholesome and funny  - although it sounds like you won't get a chance to watch it anytime soon. 

Quinten Hann was around in the mid 2000's an Australian player - arrogant little dickhead - he used to use a Pool break in Snooker. So he's essentially just smash the balls open,and hope a red went in. I think Mark King threatened to kick his head in at one point, and so did Andy Hicks, he got banned in the end for like eight years and never came back. I don't think he was well liked haha.

Yep - as everyone else has said Cary Elwes from Princess Bride....... Well, and other things too obviously!

You ought to watch Princess Bride if you get a chance it's a fantastic film.

2 hours ago, Copanele said:

Hah thanks for the Euro shoutout xD 

Nice review! However, I think I will safely skip this one. There's one type of EuroRPG that I usually avoid, and that's the "Futuristic setting" or "dystopian futuristic setting where everyone is dressed in rags". Somehow I never get around to like those types of games, jank included, reason why I also skipped playing Elex, despite being done by Piranha Bytes (bless Gothic).

Also to hell with Martian Moles! I saw them in a video, they're like the Ghouls in Witcher 3 only more vicious.

Thanks  man!

You are one of the few EuroRPG lovers that I can think of , so I couldn't resist a little tag in case you missed it!

Well - Mars: War Logs wouldn't convert you to that particular brand of EuroRPG that's for sure. The Technomancer might, and I know you said it wouldn't, but Elex might too.

Elex is pretty rough around the edges (obviously its Piranha Bytes,) but it is basically just Gothic with laser weapons. It's really tough to nail down whether it fits in with dystopian, and people wearing rags, or just futuristic. 

You know how Gothic always has joinable factions - well in Elex, they are basically, Viking Berserkers, Religeious Techno - Mages that worship a rocket, and the other guys are these sort of Mad Max inspired desert people.

I think whenever you get around to playing the Risen titles, I'd probably be able to tell better whether you'd actually like Elex or not - I think as the start of a series, which it seems to be, then it's a pretty promising start.

I don't know, I liked Elex, but then I love Piranha Bytes games as you know - so I guess there is a little bias creeping in for sure :hmm:

BLESS GOTHIC indeed!

Yep - those Martian Moles are the worst, they are fine on any difficulty other than Extreme - but y'know we like trophies, so they must be tackled on the hardest setting ?.....

Why did you have to remind me of those Ghouls - they are very similar now you mention it - those little bastards love to gang up on you too. Those were an unwelcome kick in the nuts starting out on Death March difficulty haha

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Inconceivable! 

Doc....... That put a smile on my face haha - I kind of want to watch that Film now - guess I'd better find the time to watch that and Robin of Sherwood then.

If you ever play the new Kings Quest..... Which you totally should by the way, Wallace Shawn is in that game and he's absolutely amazing..... You know the scene with the poison in Princess Bride? They kind of pay homage to that with one of the puzzles in Kings Quest, plus Christopher Lloyd voices King Graham in that bit, so it's such a cool scene for a film obsessed little tit like me :lol:

I'm going to do that review of Yesterday Origins tomorrow by the way. I've had that game on my mind a lot lately - it drops in and out occasionally, so I'd better strike while the irons hot and talk about it.

Forewarning though, I love it - so it may or may not go quite long :hmm:...... I'm actually very excited to write it though - I haven't really seen that game discussed that often on this site, outside of the few times I've seen it crop up in the Most Recent Platinum thread, to middling reception, because people seemed to just want a simple platinum from it - but as a point-and-click game, oh boy does it deserve so much more attention than that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

Doc....... That put a smile on my face haha - I kind of want to watch that Film now - guess I'd better find the time to watch that and Robin of Sherwood then.

haha - it’s wierd, but by virtue of it being the only child-friendly VHS at my grandparents house when I used to be occasionally looked after by them, my Robin Hood flick has always been the old Erroll Flynn one - I have a soft spot for the Disney animated one, and that odd, old-Robin one with Sean Connery as Robin and Audrey Hepburn as Marrion (though it’s been a while… that might just be nostalgia ?), but Erroll is Robin to me!

If you ever play the new Kings Quest..... Which you totally should by the way, Wallace Shawn is in that game and he's absolutely amazing..... You know the scene with the poison in Princess Bride? They kind of pay homage to that with one of the puzzles in Kings Quest, plus Christopher Lloyd voices King Graham in that bit, so it's such a cool scene for a film obsessed little tit like me :lol:

That’s cool - KQ is on my list, so should get there at some point…

but yeah, Wally Shawn is something else. Not every movie he’s in is great, but no movie he’s in is ever made anything less than better for his presence!

I'm going to do that review of Yesterday Origins tomorrow by the way. I've had that game on my mind a lot lately - it drops in and out occasionally, so I'd better strike while the irons hot and talk about it.

Forewarning though, I love it - so it may or may not go quite long :hmm:...... I'm actually very excited to write it though - I haven't really seen that game discussed that often on this site, outside of the few times I've seen it crop up in the Most Recent Platinum thread, to middling reception, because people seemed to just want a simple platinum from it - but as a point-and-click game, oh boy does it deserve so much more attention than that.

Nice!

I do own this one - and actually, my little foray back to Psychonauts, of all things, has kinda whet my appetite for adventure games. Obviously thats a 3D platformer really, but it’s surprising how much of the old adventure game mentality is still running through it - it’s like Schaffer couldn’t quite pull himself completely away!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 4:02 AM, rjkclarke said:

I can dig those 70's Disney movies myself, although - I do quite like some of the even earlier ones too. I think Dumbo came out in  like the early 40's or around 1950, I don't know for certain, but I love some of the insanely surreal imagery in those early Disney films, some really powerful stuff.

I'm not a big Kevin Costner guy truth be told. Somehow he's only the second worst thing in that Robin Hood movie - I always forget Christian Slater is in it, who also stinks up the show a bit. I guess he can't always be as good as he was in Heathers 1f612.png

Yep - those Native American Stereotypes are a little too on the nose - Hollywood really seem to like cultural appropriation, at least it's starting to become a little less prevalent, but it is still a problem.

DUMBO!!!

Y'know it's funny, as a kid I didn't get that the crows were supposed to be awful black stereotypes - I just thought they were cool! Perhaps subconsciously that provided the seed for my love and respect of Black culture, and Disney's racism backfired?

And of course the pink elephants sequence, that shit was stupendous. Given my love of this movie and psychedelics, I'm surprised I've never tried combining the two!

People always refer to Bambi as being the tearjerker mother/child scene, but I always said it was the one in Dumbo, with his mom caged up. I find that shit is devastating to this day.

That and Littlefoot in Land Before Time...

6HvZ.gif

I must've blocked that out, I don't even remember Christian Slater being in that movie! Oh man, what a mixed bag that fella's performances could be. Sidenote: when I first heard of Heavy Rain, I initially mistook it as being a video game adaptation of the film Hard Rain with him and Morgan Freeman. I thought "what an odd film to do that with..."

A friend of mine wrote an outstanding essay on how stereotypes in film have largely been on the decline, yet those of Native Americans have been pretty unyielding. Wish I had a link to it, he did a great job. One thing he cited that I hadn't noticed is how in movies like Dances with Wolves and Last of the Mohicans the Natives are always taking in young white dudes who just happen to be better at everything than they are?

Apparently there's a very specific glitch in the mobile version and only that version  of GTA III where Ambulances in Staunton can spawn on top of each other at the Hospital - that was one of the first things he noticed and was like, wait, is this just the mobile versions, this isn't even a remaster of the original PS2 games. 

It's a shame - but thankfully we have the old versions, so I guess we are luckier than some that didn't snap those up in time.

Last night when I got home I was watching videos about that, and it just made me mad! It was egregious enough to take away the original versions (people are missing out on something for literally no good reason), but learning WHY the remasters are so horribly bugged and, y'know, generally not good, was just infuriating. I feel like after its slowed output, milking GTA online for all its worth, and now this, Rockstar's reputation is very much on its last leg. Really makes me sad, dude.

With you on that one - I've got no wish to be wistfully looking back, thinking things were better when they almost certainly weren't.

I get what you mean about trying to embrace what's new - however, I've always been an anachronistic little oddball to be fair (watching 1970's Doctor Who, when I was like four years old 1f606.png) - I like new things don't get me wrong, and I very much don't live in the past, but I get so much enjoyment out of finding an old film I hadn't seen, or bands I hadn't heard, games I hadn't played - so I guess in a sense they are new to me. I guess I'm just stretching the definition of New a bit.

I've got plenty of those Simpsons references on hand myself -  I quote the Monorail episode  far too often, and not even with any real context, thankfully a lot of my friends tend to chime in and finish the quote instead of looking at me like I just threw their phone into their beer.

If you ever get the time, Tree of Life is well worth having a look at, I'd say.

Yeah, I am too (70s Disney movies, after all?). Agreed 100% on that. Perhaps I should have clarified a bit - you said it perfectly, new to you. Like when I went through my phase of gobbling up British Invasion bands (and realized I might love the Kinks as much as I do the Beatles) - I wasn't alive for any of that, but it was new to me and I was blown away!

That's such a great episode. It always cracked me up that he would take the time to not only draw a picture of himself with a bunch of cash and frantic citizens in a burning Monorail, but also label them "Me" and "Suckers."

"It's not Batman!!"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

That's awesome to hear!

Have you got your sights set on anymore guides coming up? Or is that your fill for now?

That's me done for now. Think I'll probably look to try and do one every 6 months or so but nothing concrete. Depends what comes out, and where my mood takes me.

Nah - I don't want to be Data yet, he's all yours buddy haha, my hair isn't quite heading into "wide parting" 1f602.png status just yet...... Nothing wrong with being follically challenged obviously - I've been rocking long hair for sixteen years - I want to avoid looking like Lynch from Kane & Lynch for as long as possible :lol:

Haha never played those games, any good?

This shot - is what I meant about gorgeous cinematography - it's so well framed, the use of colour and lighting is just so brilliant.... It just has atmosphere straight out the wazoo

Oh dear - now I want to go and watch the show now for like the umpteenth time!

Wow that sounds pretty interesting about the character and that is so interesting cinematography, the whole thing sounds like something people should experience if possible and looks like you'll watch it again for the umpteenth time lol

Whoever writes the guides for the Breakthrough Arcade games should probably either be given a medal then - or carted off to a sanatorium, I'm really not sure which though :lol:

Haha well yeah writing guides for easy games is something else entirely and has it's own appeal in a funny way in their simplicity. Just look at my Bird Game guide lol

Well hopefully an opportunity opens up for you - and you can get back on the RE7 horse.

I like RE 6 too actually - I don't love it either, but I think it's a lot better than people actually give it any credit for. It's got some decent characters we aren't probably likely to see again - unless in the rumoured Revelations 3 you and I discussed before decide to bring back someone like Sheva or Jake, like when they brought Barry back for Revelations 2.

My main issue with RE6 is the trophies - it's one of those times where the act of getting the platinum can leave you pretty jaded. Or it did with me anyway.

Nice to find someone else who actually likes RE6. Sure it did some things pretty poorly and it's overall direction was all over the place, but it did some things really well too and I've always felt a lot of people went OTT in their hate for it. Definitely the character list was refreshing, like Revelations 2 was.

In the end I adapted  a David Bowie album title - because it seemed fairly apt, considering the developer and the setting haha.

I don't doubt I'd actually like MGS Rising - I just won't allow myself to play it. I guess I'm becoming like Decadus in Drakengard 3 and just denying myself that very specific pleasure of not playing the game 1f606.png

Don't worry you aren't the onlyone confused by MGS - just think of it like this, you can explain everything with............ "BECUASE NANOMACHINES!"

I don't usually have the problem of finding something I like - I always try to be positive where I can, negativity just isn't particularly easy for me. Unless it's a certain Saints Row spin off that has Mayhem in the title , in which case it can go and sit on a cactus.

I did not get that reference lol

Again never played Drakengard so don't get that reference either lol I'll just nod along lol

Yes Nanomachines!!! They solve all plot holes!!! By fixing them lol

Maybe it enjoys sitting on a catcus?

Lego Movie 2 was alright - it just wasn't that amazing either - but neither was the film either.  At least it was a way of finding out if I could tolerate LEGO: Worlds, which it looks like I can. So every cloud has a silver lining and all that. 

I'm in a similar situation with supermarkets actually - closest one to me that has a decent selection of games is Asda- but its the entire other side of town to me, so I don't go there all that often.

That would have been a steal the PS5 Miles Morales - I'm quite looking forward tot hat one, when I eventually find a PS5.

At least you are third though - nobody else can say that.You know the trophy I'd hate to be the first achiever for in that game? The 10,000 kills trophy, that must feel like a pretty empty accomplishment.

Yeah I've watched the film, it wasn't as good as the first that's for sure. The first game was fair decent from what I can remember.

Yeah I know, when I get a PS5 I'm really looking forward to that too. Enjoyed Spiderman on PS4 though the platinum was a bit longer than I felt it needed to be. 

Sadly I am not looking forward to that 10,000 kills trophy. There will have to be some quality music being played whilst that mind numbing task is being performed lol grind, grind, grind.

7 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I'll PM you a link to that Steve Davis and Dennis match at some point, but it'd probably make you laugh if you were particularly down or fed up that day, it's just very wholesome and funny  - although it sounds like you won't get a chance to watch it anytime soon. 

Quinten Hann was around in the mid 2000's an Australian player - arrogant little dickhead - he used to use a Pool break in Snooker. So he's essentially just smash the balls open,and hope a red went in. I think Mark King threatened to kick his head in at one point, and so did Andy Hicks, he got banned in the end for like eight years and never came back. I don't think he was well liked haha.

Whenever you can, no rush. Yes things are pretty busy at the mo sadly.

O yeah now I remember lol who does a pool break in snooker? geez haha

7 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Yep - as everyone else has said Cary Elwes from Princess Bride....... Well, and other things too obviously!

You ought to watch Princess Bride if you get a chance it's a fantastic film.

Yes I think a lot of people in this thread are going to start telling me that lol

13 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha, that’s one of those that will make total sense once you see the flick… and makes no sense prior I suppose! :facepalm:?

Yep, seems like I need to watch this film at some point. Otherwise I'm going to lose some street cred.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

haha - it’s wierd, but by virtue of it being the only child-friendly VHS at my grandparents house when I used to be occasionally looked after by them, my Robin Hood flick has always been the old Erroll Flynn one - I have a soft spot for the Disney animated one, and that odd, old-Robin one with Sean Connery as Robin and Audrey Hepburn as Marrion (though it’s been a while… that might just be nostalgia 1f602.png), but Erroll is Robin to me!

Odd is definitely how I'd describe that Sean Connery one for sure :lol: - I think it's pretty good though, it's an incredibly unique idea for a Robin Hood film.

I think the Erroll Flynn one probably is the one most people universally consider the best one on film - myself included I think, although I do like a bit of the Disney one too. Like that films influence reaches so far..... Even into video games, you know that thing in the Warrior Within and Two Thrones, in the Prince of Persia series where the prince slides down a wall with a dagger down the curtain? I remember reading somewhere years ago that one of the Ubisoft designers inspiration for that specific piece of movement tech was from the Eroll Flynn Robin Hood film.

That’s cool - KQ is on my list, so should get there at some point…

but yeah, Wally Shawn is something else. Not every movie he’s in is great, but no movie he’s in is ever made anything less than better for his presence!

That's a good shout.

Nice to know KQ is already on your list - you're in for a real treat with that one - and if we never get a Queens Quest series (not counting the AM one,) it'll be a damn shame, because Activision were onto a winner with the recent Kings Quest, and the way it fits into the canon of the old games is incredibly clever too. It isn't strictly a reboot which I liked, yet it doesn't alienate anyone who hasn't played the old things either.

I really like Wallace shawn in Manhattan, if you've ever seen it..... I thought that was a really interesting way they subvert your expectations about a character before you actually see them. I thought that was really funny.

Nice!

I do own this one - and actually, my little foray back to Psychonauts, of all things, has kinda whet my appetite for adventure games. Obviously thats a 3D platformer really, but it’s surprising how much of the old adventure game mentality is still running through it - it’s like Schaffer couldn’t quite pull himself completely away!

I noticed you were playing that from your sig - hope you have a good time with that one - I went for a little revisit with that last year, and had a great time.

Schaffer couldn't quite pull himself away, thankfully ? or we wouldn't have ever gotten Broken Age I guess - and I'm so glad that he did, because I think that's probably one of the best point-and-click games of the modern era.

I get what you mean though - that adventure game mindset permeates through that whole thing, it's kind of charming in a way, I don't know that Psychonauts would work as a true adventure game,so I'm glad it's more of an involved experience to be fair.

Dogen having weird little ironing boards for feet will never not be creepy though. I love the darker elements of Psychonauts that are kind of hidden beneath the surface, like some of the really dark bits of the level set in Milla's head.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:07 PM, YaManSmevz said:

DUMBO!!!

Y'know it's funny, as a kid I didn't get that the crows were supposed to be awful black stereotypes - I just thought they were cool! Perhaps subconsciously that provided the seed for my love and respect of Black culture, and Disney's racism backfired1f606.png

And of course the pink elephants sequence, that shit was stupendous. Given my love of this movie and psychedelics, I'm surprised I've never tried combining the two!

People always refer to Bambi as being the tearjerker mother/child scene, but I always said it was the one in Dumbo, with his mom caged up. I find that shit is devastating to this day.

That and Littlefoot in Land Before Time...

Yep - I didn't realise what those crows were supposed to be until I was much, much older, I simply just thought they were funny.

That pink elephants scene is fantastic! I'm morbidly curious to see how that was done in the live action version of Dumbo they did a couple of years ago, but I suspect it wouldn't be quite as good.

If you ever watch that on psychedelics, let me know how it goes.

I've never actually seen Bambi - or if I have I'm too young to remember it, so that's a fairly big film to have not seen. That bit from Dumbo is devastating though, I agree. I think the reason why a lot of those Disney films work so effectively, is how much they play into those fairly primal experiences and or thoughts for children - most people are going to be devastated by the idea of losing a Mother, or in Dumbo's case being ripped away from one forcefully. They are all things that a child can basically grasp the idea of fairly easily. There's so many examples in Disney films of playing into things that children and adults both directly understand, and usually the reaction will be fairly different depending on your age I'd say.

You could argue it's quite manipulative too, but it can be incredibly powerful.

I think I've mentioned to you before how much I like their version of Hunchback of Notre Dame, even if the talking gargoyles in that film literally destroy so much atmosphere and gravitas. They literally spoil the film for me.

That version of Quasimodo has always really broken my heart as a character, as it really tugs on your empathy, maybe a little too much. To be honest I blame Tom Hulce, as he plays Quasimodo in such a delicate way, and hearing the sadness in his voice, when he sings " No face as hideous as my face, was ever meant for heaven's light" is so tough. Nothing like the book version, but that's not always a bad thing.  

Someone I went to university with mentioned how important that character was for her sister in feeling more accepted and normal, as she had some slight disfigurements, so for as much as I have a very love/hate relationship with it, I think it's wonderful that it could do that for someone.

I must've blocked that out, I don't even remember Christian Slater being in that movie! Oh man, what a mixed bag that fella's performances could be. Sidenote: when I first heard of Heavy Rain, I initially mistook it as being a video game adaptation of the film Hard Rain with him and Morgan Freeman. I thought "what an odd film to do that with..."

A friend of mine wrote an outstanding essay on how stereotypes in film have largely been on the decline, yet those of Native Americans have been pretty unyielding. Wish I had a link to it, he did a great job. One thing he cited that I hadn't noticed is how in movies like Dances with Wolves and Last of the Mohicans the Natives are always taking in young white dudes who just happen to be better at everything than they are?

Argh that's both interesting and a good thing. If it had been an adaptation of Hard Rain we wouldn't have been able to press :cross: to JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASON, which would be a crime against video games, and me and one of my friends would have one less David Cage game to make jokes about.

Dude, that essay sounds awesome - If you ever find a way to send me a link to it please do, that sounds amazing and I'd really love to read it.

Last night when I got home I was watching videos about that, and it just made me mad! It was egregious enough to take away the original versions (people are missing out on something for literally no good reason), but learning WHY the remasters are so horribly bugged and, y'know, generally not good, was just infuriating. I feel like after its slowed output, milking GTA online for all its worth, and now this, Rockstar's reputation is very much on its last leg. Really makes me sad, dude.

Isn't it just - I can only think that the originals would just outsell the new ones, which is why they pulled the originals down, but it seems such a backward thing to do.

I'm sad that this is what they've kind of become as a company, they've essentially become the kind of company they used to take the piss out of and lampoon on a regular basis, which is a little sad when you think about it.

Yeah, I am too (70s Disney movies, after all1f604.png). Agreed 100% on that. Perhaps I should have clarified a bit - you said it perfectly, new to you. Like when I went through my phase of gobbling up British Invasion bands (and realized I might love the Kinks as much as I do the Beatles) - I wasn't alive for any of that, but it was new to me and I was blown away!

That's such a great episode. It always cracked me up that he would take the time to not only draw a picture of himself with a bunch of cash and frantic citizens in a burning Monorail, but also label them "Me" and "Suckers."

"It's not Batman!!"

That's the exciting stuff right there, just experimenting and finding new things that you'd love as a result - those kind of things can open so many areas of possibilities. Which is awesome. I just don't understand the mindset of watching the same things, and listening to the same things in perpetuity, I'm not saying you should never rewatch or experience things more than once, but taking a break from them and coming back to them, can make that reminder of why you loved that thing to begin with so much more powerful a a result. Well that's my take on it anyway.

I have had far too many messages over the years on phones, emails that kind of thing, that almost always start with "Is there a chance the track could bend?" To which I obviously have to reply with "not on your life my Hindu friend."

The kids can call you Hoju line always cracked me up too, just because of how much Homer genuinely thinks that'd be a great idea.

Oh and the obvious The cosmic ballet goes on line, such a classic that one.

23 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

That's me done for now. Think I'll probably look to try and do one every 6 months or so but nothing concrete. Depends what comes out, and where my mood takes me.

That sounds like a good idea, that way you won't have too much of your time taken up by guide writing, as I could imagine it'd be pretty intensive time-wise.

Haha never played those games, any good?

I've only played the first one on Xbox 360..... I quite liked it, it wasn't quite what I expected from a game by iO Interactive, so I guess that was on me for going in expecting something different to what I got.

Wow that sounds pretty interesting about the character and that is so interesting cinematography, the whole thing sounds like something people should experience if possible and looks like you'll watch it again for the umpteenth time lol

It gets repeated on ITV3 every once in  a while, so you might be able to catch a bit of it if it's ever on there if you're channel hopping. I'd definitely say it's worth watching, at least up to Series 3, then it goes downhill a bit, because they get a new actor for Robin, who coincidentally was Season Connery's son Jason, who just doesn't quite work the same, and the show really suffers for it.

Haha well yeah writing guides for easy games is something else entirely and has it's own appeal in a funny way in their simplicity. Just look at my Bird Game guide lol

I'll have to make sure to go and have a glance at that when I get the chance :lol:

Nice to find someone else who actually likes RE6. Sure it did some things pretty poorly and it's overall direction was all over the place, but it did some things really well too and I've always felt a lot of people went OTT in their hate for it. Definitely the character list was refreshing, like Revelations 2 was.

I do like it yeah - although I don't think I'd really care if they decided to remake it, I'd rather they stopped with the remakes at 4, but we'll see how  far they go with those.

Chris looks probably the most like a Gibbon in that game than in any other as well - which was a running joke between me and a friend whenever we'd play it co-op, it was always a case of, alright then which one of us gets the Gibbon.

I get the criticism of it very much not being a survival horror game - and the main antagonist being a pretty bad Bill Birkin rip-off but outside of that, yeah I don't think it deserves as much of the hatred as it gets.

I did not get that reference lol

Again never played Drakengard so don't get that reference either lol I'll just nod along lol

It was my own version of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars - but I guess you'd have to know that the game was developed by Spiders, and I seem to very much be in the minority of people who like what they do, I doubt most people probably got it. I just thought it was funny.

You're missing out with Drakengard, those games are great.

Yeah I've watched the film, it wasn't as good as the first that's for sure. The first game was fair decent from what I can remember.

Yeah I know, when I get a PS5 I'm really looking forward to that too. Enjoyed Spiderman on PS4 though the platinum was a bit longer than I felt it needed to be. 

Sadly I am not looking forward to that 10,000 kills trophy. There will have to be some quality music being played whilst that mind numbing task is being performed lol grind, grind, grind.

The first lego movie game was alright I guess yeah, definitely not one of my favourites, but at least it isn't Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, that is obnoxiously long and boring too.

What was it about Spiderman on PS4 you thought was too long?

I can't sugarcoat it, that 10,000 kills trophy in FFIX is terrible, that seriously tested my patience, the worst part is that you can't track it, so you have no idea how close or far away you are from it, which just makes it all the more torturous.

I guess I'd better go finish that Yesterday Origins review off once the Snooker is finished tonight.

• Like 1

I really like Wallace shawn in Manhattan, if you've ever seen it..... I thought that was a really interesting way they subvert your expectations about a character before you actually see them. I thought that was really funny.

Man, I'm a big Woody Allen fan, but it's been quite a while since I watched Manhattan, that's just whet my appetite again, I've forgotten most of it I think!

I noticed you were playing that from your sig - hope you have a good time with that one - I went for a little revisit with that last year, and had a great time.

Schaffer couldn't quite pull himself away, thankfully 1f600.png or we wouldn't have ever gotten Broken Age I guess - and I'm so glad that he did, because I think that's probably one of the best point-and-click games of the modern era.

I get what you mean though - that adventure game mindset permeates through that whole thing, it's kind of charming in a way, I don't know that Psychonauts would work as a true adventure game,so I'm glad it's more of an involved experience to be fair.

Dogen having weird little ironing boards for feet will never not be creepy though. I love the darker elements of Psychonauts that are kind of hidden beneath the surface, like some of the really dark bits of the level set in Milla's head.

Yeah, I got Psychonauts 2 in the sales, and have heard great things, but figured it had been so long that I needed to refresh with the first one first - and man, I had forgotten how good some of those sections are. The Milkman Conspiracy episode is so danmed weird and funny  - I think I spent like 3 hours just running around trying to hear every one of the weird, off-kilter robotic lines the dudes have in it - and that one guy who is a "housewife" cracks me up with every line!

It's funny how clear Schaffers adventure game credentials are in it though - I tihnk I agree that it's better as the platformer it is, as it allows a bit more freedom and the Camp vibe really wouldn't work to the degree it does in a pure adventure game - but I could totally see a pure adventure game Psychonauts working...

... because I'm playing it now ?

Seriously, I had never tired the Rhombus of Ruin until now, but I fired it up today, and because it has no movement (you just clairvoyance from one static character to another - avoiding the VR sickness, I guess  - and so it really does operate as a pure point-n-click game. You have set screens (in a sense) and your 'verbs' are just your powers - pyrokinesis, telekinesis, psychic prodding (i.e 'touch') and 'look' obviously...

and it really works so far. (I'm only an hour in, but I'm well impressed so far!)

Hopefully, will be fully up to speed for Psychonauts 2 soon enough, as I'm excited to see it. With Rhombus of Ruin,  the jump in graphics (even accounting for the VR fuzziness,) is pretty stark, but you wouldn't know a day has passed in terms of the design or the writing - tone and humour are exactly right, and that design style totally works with the higher levels of fidelity. Impressed so far!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Lf20954.png

This is another game that probably needs a little context warning – whilst I’m obviously very well versed in adventure games, this one in particular, much like Broken Sword 5 years previously, was essentially the video game form of a nice warm friendly hug for me – so in a way that’s quite funny, considering how much Broken Sword and Yesterday Origins have in common.

Awesome review as ever mate!

Yesterday Origins, released in 2016 by Spanish developers Pendulo Studios, this title serves as both a prequel and a sequel to the game Yesterday (a game I’ve not played yet, and as I have a decent PC now, I probably ought to remedy that, because Old Meg couldn’t have handled it,). You take the role of two immortal characters, amnesiac John Yesterday and his girlfriend Pauline Petit, as you try and uncover some of John’s lost memories, and embark upon a globetrotting adventure. I mentioned it was a prequel and a sequel, and the game essentially delves into John’s lost memories, as you see different parts of his past lives, as they are seamlessly woven into the games plot. A fairly apt if not simple comparison for John’s general character is that of Leonard Shelby from Christopher Nolan’s Memento (check it out if you’ve never seen it).

That's interesting that it's a prequel / sequel - that might have been enough to put me off playing a little until playing the first one, but to be honest, it sounds like you had a great time without playing the first game, so I guess it can work well anyways!

Of the many, many areas in which Yesterday Origins shines – and I really think this game illuminates itself so well amongst its genre; one of the strongest areas is visually. Whilst it is a fantastic example of a modern point-and-click title done right, an aspect of this game that I think I personally appreciated the most was the visual aesthetic; it really jumped out at me in a unique way.

Yesterday Origins, essentially takes the form of a graphic novel come to life – that is one hundred percent the aesthetic that I think they are going for, and I think it’s one that is pulled off with particular aplomb. Every scene involving dialogue is framed within white bordered panels, and every piece of speech is represented with an angular speech bubble – exactly the kind you’d expect to see in a glossy, adult graphic novel. It’s one of the areas of the game that I think is probably implemented the best – it absolutely screams character, and intrigue. I can’t think of a single area of the game that doesn’t at least look fascinating on a visual level.

The graphic novel visual look sounds cool-as-fuck - in some ways, that's reminding me a little of the skits aesthetic in Tales of Arise actually (I know you haven't played that one yet, but we talked about it a bit when I was noob-questioning you on them!) ?

To coincide with the general graphic novel feel – is the specific art-design used for the characters. Each character is distinctive in their own way, the creator of The Simpsons, Matt Groening (a small show I doubt any of you have heard of haha,) once said that the way to create memorable cartoon characters is to make sure they are recognisable in silhouette. I’d say for the most part that feat is excellently achieved in Yesterday Origins – almost every character of importance, and even minor ones are very distinct looking. One of the two protagonists John Yesterday particularly so, his features are so interesting and angular, that you’d recognise him instantly in a silhouette – the same can be said about Gines one of the characters you see a lot of over the course of the adventure.

That's something I've read a lot of designers really try to stick to - the distinction of characters in silhouette. I'm sure I remember one of the Mass Effect designers talking about that in some video once, and I know Matt Groening is a big advocate of that design concept - if you can make your characters distinct by just an outline, then the design is strong, if not, it's weak. It's interesting (especially for someone without the art-skills or the eye for it!)

Whilst I’m not about to divulge any spoilers – I am going to throw a little bit of exploration of why I think John and Pauline’s relationship is handled so well in this game, something I really think is a strong element to the narrative – in fact it happens to be one of the more subtle elements of the plot, that would be fairly easy to just ignore.  

The obvious comparison with Yesterday Origins is the Broken Sword series – and there definitely are similarities between the two. However, I don’t think Yesterday Origins ever tries to hide where some of inspirations have come from. With the Broken Sword comparison, also comes the comparison between George and Nico, the two protagonists of the Broken Sword series. Now – let me just say, I’m not saying John and Pauline’s relationship is written better, it’s just very different, but in a good way, at least I think so anyway.

Having two immortal characters who are also lovers, could be a disaster in the wrong writers hands – it’s a concept that has a huge amount of possibilities, but very rarely do you see them explored in an interesting way. In fact you don’t see immortality explored as well as it could potentially be very often.

This is slightly off topic for a minute, but it really bugs me that people complain about Sean Connery’s character Ramirez, a Spaniard having a Scottish accent in Highlander, there isn’t a thing to be pedantic about, the guy lived in Scotland for hundreds of years, he’s going to pick up an accent of some sort. There was a point to that offshoot, I think some of the aspects of how Highlander handle immortality are fascinating, not just the linguistic side too, some of the philosophical questions that come as a result of that “gift.” Something Yesterday Origins explores a little bit itself.

Thankfully, Yesterday Origins – in my opinion at least, came up with a fascinating take on it. Whilst it is tempting to do a very specific deep dive on both Pauline and John as characters, and it is, because I love the story this game is telling, I won’t, as I’d be here all day.

It is subtle though – and I think it’s very well realised. For a little context, Pauline is much fresher to immortality than John is. John has been immortal for centuries, and alongside his patchy memories comes that jaded and despondent feeling that would almost certainly go alongside that. John’s fragmented state of mind, leads him to desire a very simple life, and purely to find belonging and a place he can feel comfortable. Pauline is a complete juxtaposition to this, as she sees all the possibilities that immortality might bring with it, travel, discovery and adventure. This isn’t an element that gets explored in all that much detail, but they sow the seeds of that potential conflict between them throughout the narrative – as both characters have awareness, that they are essentially bonded forever by their shared immortality even if they don’t quite share the same ideals. It’s a small part of the overall narrative, but I thought it was such a fascinating idea, that you don’t see explored in video games too often.

That's a cool concept - I'm not sure if you've ever read any Mark Z Danielewski, (of House of Leaves fame)? 

One of his books is called Only Revolutions, and deals in this kind of concept - two immortal entities across time. It's a super weird book, where the two stories are both on the pages, but upside-down from one another, and you read it how you want - I did 6 pages, then flipped the book over and read six pages of the opposing narrative, back and forth, but you can do all of one then all of the other, or however you feel (Danielewski is... weird!)

In some ways it also sounds a bit like a book called The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August - about people who live forever, looping around their lives - by Claire North. (It's amazing BTW!)

What I alluded to above also happens to be one of the things that stop John and Pauline being considered fairly hollow approximations of George and Nico from Broken Sword. They are an American and a Parisian in a relationship in a point-and-click adventure, but that is where the similarities end.

I’m going to have to watch my words in this trophy section. I see so many unfair and needless complaints about this game, which is purely levelled at its trophies. When I see people complain about a genuinely good game not being a quick enough platinum, I find it pretty infuriating. Not everyone plays point-and-click adventure games because they are often easy platinum’s (yes, I know I’m probably the minority who play them purely for enjoyment,) I understand that a lot of them are, but don’t lose sight of the fact that a game is a sum of much more than just a platinum trophy.

Outside of just finishing the game, and collecting all of the hotspots, which can be a bit finicky, Yesterday Origins contains a speedrun trophy – which is fairly unusual for the genre. I’d recommend just doing this on a second playthrough, you have plenty of time, I did it in one sitting, and it flies by. Other than that there isn’t really anything too missable, outside of one or two trophies that span multiple chapters, that you’d also be able to clear up on a second playthrough – it isn’t especially quick, but it is fairly straight forward. This game has some pretty gorgeous trophy tiles too, I love that the Platinum tile is a Triskelion.  

It goes without saying that I recommend this one – I think even outside of being a fantastic story, it’s one of the very best modern point-and-click adventure games, and it’s one that would hold up pretty well amongst some of the greats of the genre. I think if you were a gamer that were a fan of Broken Sword in particular, then I think Yesterday Origins, would almost certainly resonate with you, more than any other game of this genre might. I’d love to play another game set somewhere in John and Pauline’s lives; I found them such compelling characters. This one’s been a blast to revisit.

Well, no money changing hands, as I when this one already, but it just got a big bump up the list... nice work!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@DrBloodmoney - I don't know if I can exactly call this a requested review or anything - I think you were just curious to know what I thought about it, well now you know. I could have gone into a bit more detail in a few more places, but I thought I'd spare everyone having to prop their eyes open with matchsticks and shorten a few bits :lol:..... Seriously I could talk about this soundtrack all day, well that and a few other elements.

More people need to play this game, I think it's so much better than it gets credit for.

Absolutely appreciate it man!

Whilst I'm here, I'll respond to what you wrote yesterday, sorry for not getting back to you promptly on that one.

You should totally get and watch Manhattan again - that's such a good Woody Allen outing, there's a fair few of his films I need to rewatch myself - but he makes so many so frequently, that by the time you've rewatched one he's usually made another. But I really need to get around to giving Blue Jasmine another look.

Haha - I know, right? 

The only filmmaker who seems to make them faster than I can watch them!

Psychonauts though - damn it! Why did you have to go and say that about Rhombus of Ruin, I fully never intended to play that, just because VR makes me want to do a vomit comet - but you know, that sounds awesome, and like something I'd totally enjoy. So I might have to pester one of my friends to see if I can use their VR Headset.

So...here's a thing. 

I've played 2 VR games - Rhombus of Ruin, and the DLC for Concrete Genie, and I thought I was safe from the motion sickness after them.

And I was... because both of them are static. You jump from one person to another in RoR, you don't actually move in an analogue way, and that was totally fine.

Well... that made me bold, and I tired out a small game called You Are Being Followed at lunchtime today. (It's more a small, experimental thing, but was made by students at Abertay Uni, which is just down the road from me, and I had a few mates who went there years ago, so thought I'd check it out)...

... it is 5 o'clock now, and I still feel pretty ill after playing for 30 minutes 5 hours ago! ??

Not a single hint of sickness with RoR, but the second I played one where you move while sitting, and i got the bends HARD.

I'm determined to finish it (my trophy sickness is worse than my motion sickness apparently!) but after this one, I think I'm gonna have to research VR games without analogue motion, because I can totally handle that, and it's fun, but this movement is no good for me!

• Like 1

Awesome review as ever mate!

Thanks man - I really enjoyed writing this one.

That's interesting that it's a prequel / sequel - that might have been enough to put me off playing a little until playing the first one, but to be honest, it sounds like you had a great time without playing the first game, so I guess it can work well anyways!

It's funny you say that - because I didn't actually realise it was a sequel or a prequel to anything when I first played it, it was only when I looked into it after playing it that I found out there was a first game. So if I hadn't mentioned it, you might not have known either.

I tell you what I think is brilliant about that though - is that Pendulo specifically designed the game as a prequel/sequel, so that it wouldn't alienate newcomers, I read a little article about it - and honestly it does do that perfectly. It gives you all the salient points about the first game, and then just expands on things that are only alluded to, or seen briefly with the flashbacks, in this one, so it really is the best of both worlds. 

The graphic novel visual look sounds cool-as-fuck - in some ways, that's reminding me a little of the skits aesthetic in Tales of Arise actually (I know you haven't played that one yet, but we talked about it a bit when I was noob-questioning you on them!) 1f602.png

It is,such a cool look - you are actually far more accurate with that guess than you probably think with the Tales of' comparison - one of my buddies showed me the skits in Tales of Arise after you and I spoke about them a bit (they are far more animated than in other games, which is nice,) and even the way certain graphic novel type panels swoop in is done fairly similarly in Yesterday Origins. 

That's something I've read a lot of designers really try to stick to - the distinction of characters in silhouette. I'm sure I remember one of the Mass Effect designers talking about that in some video once, and I know Matt Groening is a big advocate of that design concept - if you can make your characters distinct by just an outline, then the design is strong, if not, it's weak. It's interesting (especially for someone without the art-skills or the eye for it!)

I could totally see how that'd be the case in Mass Effect now that you mention it. So many of those characters absolutely would stand out in Silhouettes wouldn't they, even just taking specific characters out - just seeing the various alien species, you'd recognise them almost instantly. 

I could see an Elcor a mile away - I freaking love those guys...... Sorry i didn't do it properly "Jubilent Excitement: I freaking love those guys" gotta do it like a TRUE Elcor right? I would have liked one as a party member - be an improvement over that James fella from Mass Effect 3.

That's a cool concept - I'm not sure if you've ever read any Mark Z Danielewski, (of House of Leaves fame)? 

One of his books is called Only Revolutions, and deals in this kind of concept - two immortal entities across time. It's a super weird book, where the two stories are both on the pages, but upside-down from one another, and you read it how you want - I did 6 pages, then flipped the book over and read six pages of the opposing narrative, back and forth, but you can do all of one then all of the other, or however you feel (Danielewski is... weird!)

In some ways it also sounds a bit like a book called The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August - about people who live forever, looping around their lives - by Claire North. (It's amazing BTW!)

Those are completely new to me..... So thanks for the heads up mate!

I really want to take a look at those now, they sound like  really interesting concepts, if not pretty strange. 

Especially Only Revolutions - that sounds bloody fascinating - I might see if Santa can drop one of those down my chimney - I'll justmake sure the fire isn't on when he arrives.

I really love those kind of books, that really explore some of the more interesting existential questions that we'd never really be able to experience ourselves, I couldn't be more positive about my book backlog getting added to though!

Well, no money changing hands, as I when this one already, but it just got a big bump up the list... nice work!

That's what I like to hear! Some of it is even set in Scotland - with some fairly suspect accents, so try not to roll your eyes too much :lol:

Absolutely appreciate it man!

I guess I have to do the Final Fantasy X-2 one at some point too now, right...........<_<.... Haha. I don't think that'll be an overly positive one.

Haha - I know, right? 

The only filmmaker who seems to make them faster than I can watch them!

Clint Eastwood gives him a pretty good run for his money too I'd say in output - how the hell he makes films on a yearly basis at over 90 is ridiculous. It's labour intensive making even a ten minute short film, so making a feature film when you're that age is super impressive. Mind you my Grandad works on a farm five days a week at 89, so some people are just kind of conditioned for that sort of thing I guess.

So...here's a thing. 

I've played 2 VR games - Rhombus of Ruin, and the DLC for Concrete Genie, and I thought I was safe from the motion sickness after them.

And I was... because both of them are static. You jump from one person to another in RoR, you don't actually move in an analogue way, and that was totally fine.

Well... that made me bold, and I tired out a small game called You Are Being Followed at lunchtime today. (It's more a small, experimental thing, but was made by students at Abertay Uni, which is just down the road from me, and I had a few mates who went there years ago, so thought I'd check it out)...

... it is 5 o'clock now, and I still feel pretty ill after playing for 30 minutes 5 hours ago! 1f912.png1f628.png

Not a single hint of sickness with RoR, but the second I played one where you move while sitting, and i got the bends HARD.

I'm determined to finish it (my trophy sickness is worse than my motion sickness apparently!) but after this one, I think I'm gonna have to research VR games without analogue motion, because I can totally handle that, and it's fun, but this movement is no good for me!

That's actually good that you'd say that, because those are actually the only 2 things off the top of my head that I actually want to use VR for. So the fact you managed to get through those relatively pain free is pretty good news - from my point of view at least. I keep putting off Concrete Genie, because I'm fairly sure what it's trying to say is going to end up ticking me off a bit - but I won't really know until I try.

I never suffer motion sickness usually - I've suffered it a few times in gaming, once was trying out Farpoint in the PSVR and the other one was playing Warframe when a mass amount of particle effects on the screen made me want to hurl.

I guess space You Are Being Followed out then if it makes you feel like that. That's a long old while to still feel rough.  You can do!!!!! That's pretty cool that it was made at the uni not too far from you. I'm glad you've put my mind at ease with that one though - makes me a little more open to the idea of dabbling in future - let me know if you find anything that's a little more static.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I could totally see how that'd be the case in Mass Effect now that you mention it. So many of those characters absolutely would stand out in Silhouettes wouldn't they, even just taking specific characters out - just seeing the various alien species, you'd recognise them almost instantly. 

I could see an Elcor a mile away - I freaking love those guys...... Sorry i didn't do it properly "Jubilent Excitement: I freaking love those guys" gotta do it like a TRUE Elcor right? I would have liked one as a party member - be an improvement over that James fella from Mass Effect 3.

141-1414893-mass-effect-2-mass-effect-3-

totes! ?

Those are completely new to me..... So thanks for the heads up mate!

I really want to take a look at those now, they sound like  really interesting concepts, if not pretty strange. 

Especially Only Revolutions - that sounds bloody fascinating - I might see if Santa can drop one of those down my chimney - I'll justmake sure the fire isn't on when he arrives.

I really love those kind of books, that really explore some of the more interesting existential questions that we'd never really be able to experience ourselves, I couldn't be more positive about my book backlog getting added to though!

Oh, I do like Only Revolutions, but I reckon if you are going to dive in on Danielewski (and you absolutely should!) the one to start on has to be House of Leaves.

You remember how for years people used to throw around the term "Unfilmable" about books - The Lord of the Rings was one that used to get that moniker a lot, and well, Peter Jackson was like "Hold my Beer"?...

Well, House of Leaves is one of the best book I've ever read that genuinely deserves that accolade.

It's an awesome experience - and I say experience, because it doesn't even feel like just "reading" - it's like a cross between reading, doing sudoku, solving a cross-word, having a migraine and looking at an MC Escher painting!

Here's a small sample of some of the pages, to give you a glimmer of an idea...:

House-Of-Leaves-Spread.jpg

It's magic - there really is nothing like it!

Clint Eastwood gives him a pretty good run for his money too I'd say in output - how the hell he makes films on a yearly basis at over 90 is ridiculous. It's labour intensive making even a ten minute short film, so making a feature film when you're that age is super impressive. Mind you my Grandad works on a farm five days a week at 89, so some people are just kind of conditioned for that sort of thing I guess.

ha - that's true, I guess when you're 90-odd, you don't have time to fuck around - he's like a Shark, he has to keep going, or the reaper might catch up ?

That's actually good that you'd say that, because those are actually the only 2 things off the top of my head that I actually want to use VR for. So the fact you managed to get through those relatively pain free is pretty good news - from my point of view at least. I keep putting off Concrete Genie, because I'm fairly sure what it's trying to say is going to end up ticking me off a bit - but I won't really know until I try.

I never suffer motion sickness usually - I've suffered it a few times in gaming, once was trying out Farpoint in the PSVR and the other one was playing Warframe when a mass amount of particle effects on the screen made me want to hurl.

I guess space You Are Being Followed out then if it makes you feel like that. That's a long old while to still feel rough.  You can do!!!!! That's pretty cool that it was made at the uni not too far from you. I'm glad you've put my mind at ease with that one though - makes me a little more open to the idea of dabbling in future - let me know if you find anything that's a little more static.

Well - I managed to finish You Are Being Followed last night - thought I had the motion sickness licked, by just staying deathly still, and doing all movement with the controller, so it was basically ike playing in a 3D cinema...

...I felt fine as I played, but as soon as I took it off to go to bed, I had to stay up until 3am, because I couldn't lie down, as the world kept spinning and giving me the boak.

I haven't felt like that for over a decade - since I stopped drinking!

Not something I'm willing to deal with, so from now on, all VR games will be meticulously researched ahead of time, to avoid analogue movement!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:20 AM, rjkclarke said:

That pink elephants scene is fantastic! I'm morbidly curious to see how that was done in the live action version of Dumbo they did a couple of years ago, but I suspect it wouldn't be quite as good.

If you ever watch that on psychedelics, let me know how it goes.

I've never actually seen Bambi - or if I have I'm too young to remember it, so that's a fairly big film to have not seen. That bit from Dumbo is devastating though, I agree. I think the reason why a lot of those Disney films work so effectively, is how much they play into those fairly primal experiences and or thoughts for children - most people are going to be devastated by the idea of losing a Mother, or in Dumbo's case being ripped away from one forcefully. They are all things that a child can basically grasp the idea of fairly easily. There's so many examples in Disney films of playing into things that children and adults both directly understand, and usually the reaction will be fairly different depending on your age I'd say.

A live action pink elephant scene is definitely intriguing, but I'm with you on that one - curious for sure, but I just can't see it touching that crazy ass original.

I don't know if you've seen Across the Universe, but I remember watching that one on shrooms and the bit with the soldiers being drafted and shipped off to war carrying the Statue of Liberty was so intense I had to stop watching and go outside! Then I busied myself for who knows how long marveling at how green the grass was???

Good times. Anyway saying all that to say that I could only imagine how Dumbo as a whole would feel!

Agreed pretty hard on your observation about those Disney movies tapping into visceral feelings and experience for kids. I had a few especially unpleasant stretches in my childhood, and I remember the bits where parents got really angry with their children fucked with me well into adulthood - for years I thought of Cinderella as scary just because of something as simple as her being locked in a room! Manipulative? Maybe a bit. But the happy endings always balanced it out!

I think I've mentioned to you before how much I like their version of Hunchback of Notre Dame, even if the talking gargoyles in that film literally destroy so much atmosphere and gravitas. They literally spoil the film for me.

That version of Quasimodo has always really broken my heart as a character, as it really tugs on your empathy, maybe a little too much. To be honest I blame Tom Hulce, as he plays Quasimodo in such a delicate way, and hearing the sadness in his voice, when he sings " No face as hideous as my face, was ever meant for heaven's light" is so tough. Nothing like the book version, but that's not always a bad thing.  

Someone I went to university with mentioned how important that character was for her sister in feeling more accepted and normal, as she had some slight disfigurements, so for as much as I have a very love/hate relationship with it, I think it's wonderful that it could do that for someone

You have, and it makes me want to go back and give it a real watch. Especially after hearing about that person's sister. There is a beauty to art making people feel less alone that I don't think any other discipline can really match.

Argh that's both interesting and a good thing. If it had been an adaptation of Hard Rain we wouldn't have been able to press :cross: to JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASON, which would be a crime against video games, and me and one of my friends would have one less David Cage game to make jokes about.

What's funny is that while of course I'm sure it's good overall, the thing that makes me most excited to play Heavy Rain is finding all the jokes I've been missing out on! I'm at most two Quantic Dream games away from starting a Clown on David Cage Day?

Isn't it just - I can only think that the originals would just outsell the new ones, which is why they pulled the originals down, but it seems such a backward thing to do.

I'm sad that this is what they've kind of become as a company, they've essentially become the kind of company they used to take the piss out of and lampoon on a regular basis, which is a little sad when you think about it.

That's the exciting stuff right there, just experimenting and finding new things that you'd love as a result - those kind of things can open so many areas of possibilities. Which is awesome. I just don't understand the mindset of watching the same things, and listening to the same things in perpetuity, I'm not saying you should never rewatch or experience things more than once, but taking a break from them and coming back to them, can make that reminder of why you loved that thing to begin with so much more powerful a a result. Well that's my take on it anyway.

I have had far too many messages over the years on phones, emails that kind of thing, that almost always start with "Is there a chance the track could bend?" To which I obviously have to reply with "not on your life my Hindu friend."

The kids can call you Hoju line always cracked me up too, just because of how much Homer genuinely thinks that'd be a great idea.

Oh and the obvious The cosmic ballet goes on line, such a classic that one.

...does anyone want to switch seats?

I still like to walk up after a task I had nothing to do with is complete and say "well, my work is done here." Unfortunately nobody is ever blunt enough to point out that I didn't so anything, so the reference remains incomplete.

I absolutely think the originals would outsell the remasters, and I can't help wondering why that would be a bad thing. You took the words right out of my mouth - back in the earlier days when they were that young, hungry publisher eager to churn out as many button-pushing games as they could, the sort of shit they're pulling now would have mortified them. Sad indeed.

I do love me some nostalgia, but you gotta keep it moving. What if I'd seen FF VII and thought "nah, it's all about Chrono Trigger for me." Always gotta be on the lookout for something that might be great, and speaking of which...

18 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Classic Review

LH4d232b.jpg

Platinum #291

Yesterday Origins (PS4)

Lf20954.png

...your enthusiastic reviews are always your best. Great job! Now I'm like uh oh, better check this one out too?

• Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 7:20 PM, rjkclarke said:

That sounds like a good idea, that way you won't have too much of your time taken up by guide writing, as I could imagine it'd be pretty intensive time-wise.

Yeah I had a mad burst and did 5 of my trophy guides within something like a 2 month period as I was on a roll but after that, I didn't want to overdo it and realised I wasn't playing as much or reading my gaming mag etc so I wanted to tone it down. You are correct, you have to put a good amount of time into creating one.

I've only played the first one on Xbox 360..... I quite liked it, it wasn't quite what I expected from a game by iO Interactive, so I guess that was on me for going in expecting something different to what I got.

That's cool, nice to be surprised in a good way.

It gets repeated on ITV3 every once in  a while, so you might be able to catch a bit of it if it's ever on there if you're channel hopping. I'd definitely say it's worth watching, at least up to Series 3, then it goes downhill a bit, because they get a new actor for Robin, who coincidentally was Season Connery's son Jason, who just doesn't quite work the same, and the show really suffers for it.

I'll have to look out for on ITV3 on the tv guide. It's a shame when a TV show starts to go downhill after a few seasons for whateer reason.

I'll have to make sure to go and have a glance at that when I get the chance :lol:

Haha trust me it isn't good lol

I do like it yeah - although I don't think I'd really care if they decided to remake it, I'd rather they stopped with the remakes at 4, but we'll see how  far they go with those.

Chris looks probably the most like a Gibbon in that game than in any other as well - which was a running joke between me and a friend whenever we'd play it co-op, it was always a case of, alright then which one of us gets the Gibbon.

I get the criticism of it very much not being a survival horror game - and the main antagonist being a pretty bad Bill Birkin rip-off but outside of that, yeah I don't think it deserves as much of the hatred as it gets.

I'm not particularly excited about a remake of 4 tbh, don't think it's needed whereas Code Veronica getting a remake would be of much more interest to me but there you go. After that though, they need to leave it absolutely. Imagine how many people would buy an original classics trilogy of the first 3 PS1 games on one bluray....

Chris' appearance has been the one which has changed the most over the games, they really need to settle down now (which I think they have with RE Village but I don't know for sure having never played it) and just make sure the writing is on point.

They were trying to cater for everyone with their 3 campaigns with differing styles and characters etc. It seemed kind of logical at the time but in hindsight was an error of judgement. They stretched themselves too thin trying to appease all the different types of fans and satisfied noone properly.

It was my own version of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars - but I guess you'd have to know that the game was developed by Spiders, and I seem to very much be in the minority of people who like what they do, I doubt most people probably got it. I just thought it was funny.

You're missing out with Drakengard, those games are great.

Just because I didn't get it doesn't mean someone else didn't.

Yeah I've heard great things about Drakengard but alas it's another series that has just passed me by.

The first lego movie game was alright I guess yeah, definitely not one of my favourites, but at least it isn't Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, that is obnoxiously long and boring too.

What was it about Spiderman on PS4 you thought was too long?

I can't sugarcoat it, that 10,000 kills trophy in FFIX is terrible, that seriously tested my patience, the worst part is that you can't track it, so you have no idea how close or far away you are from it, which just makes it all the more torturous.

I guess I'd better go finish that Yesterday Origins review off once the Snooker is finished tonight.

Haha it's ironic you say that as Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 is platinum 125. It was way too long and I'll never do that again that's for sure (Only future Lego game that interests me at the mo is the new Star Wars one) but I got that platinum with my wife so it holds a special place despite it's drawbacks. Had to go through a lot of the game again on my wife's side just to complete 10 challenges or something in the open world which was a big extra time sink.

I felt that there were too many side activities for the game than was really needed. I did them as soon as I could in the story so at least I didn't leave them all until the end but still think a good chunk of them could have been left and it would have benefitted the game's overall pace imho.

Yeah one thing I am looking forward to with the PS5 is it finally having tracking for these types of trophies in the trophy list going forwards. 10000 kills without a tracker is going to be monotonous that's for sure. Doing the 1000 kills in Road Rage was bad enough lol

I've already seen the review has been posted so congrats on another one written up :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

141-1414893-mass-effect-2-mass-effect-3-

totes! 

No Elcor in the picture makes Rob a dull boy X 400 on a wall......

..... I love that though - one of them has me really stumped though - which is the one second in from the left? I can't figure that one out? Is it Javik? Because I'm yet to actually play all the DLC content for Mass Effect 3.

House-Of-Leaves-Spread.jpg

It's magic - there really is nothing like it!

Thanks for posting these!

I was already interested as it was - but I think that's definitely sealed the deal - that's fascinating!

You remember how for years people used to throw around the term "Unfilmable" about books - The Lord of the Rings was one that used to get that moniker a lot, and well, Peter Jackson was like "Hold my Beer"?...

Well, House of Leaves is one of the best book I've ever read that genuinely deserves that accolade.

It's an awesome experience - and I say experience, because it doesn't even feel like just "reading" - it's like a cross between reading, doing sudoku, solving a cross-word, having a migraine and looking at an MC Escher painting!

Here's a small sample of some of the pages, to give you a glimmer of an idea...:

I wish Peter Jackson had just said no thank you, when they asked him to step in and make The Hobbit...... Alas, they can't all be winners. There are very few instances in cinematic history where things feel more like a shallow, soulless, and unnecessary cash grab than those films do. At best they should have been 2 short films, not three overly long flabby, boring films that waste all of the potential that making three films affords you.You know expanding the dwarves as characters, exploring them as people, that kind of thing.Such a shame really.

I'm glad House of Leaves is like that though, it sounds challenging, but in the best way possible. That's such a great description - and I love the idea of having to turn the book upside down left and right, and all kinds of ways in an attempt to make sense of some of it.

I'll hold off on Only Revolutions then - and see if Santa can drop House of Leaves down my chimney instead.

Thanks for those recommendations man! I'm looking forward to reading those.

ha - that's true, I guess when you're 90-odd, you don't have time to fuck around - he's like a Shark, he has to keep going, or the reaper might catch up 1f628.png

I don't think even the reaper is safe from Mr Eastwood - he'll just kneecap him with a Hand Cannon - and deliver the immortal "Do you feel, lucky punk?" Line..... Then just stroll off whistling Ennio Morricone's "The Ecstasy of Gold" piece from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Well - I managed to finish You Are Being Followed last night - thought I had the motion sickness licked, by just staying deathly still, and doing all movement with the controller, so it was basically ike playing in a 3D cinema...

...I felt fine as I played, but as soon as I took it off to go to bed, I had to stay up until 3am, because I couldn't lie down, as the world kept spinning and giving me the boak.

I haven't felt like that for over a decade - since I stopped drinking!

Not something I'm willing to deal with, so from now on, all VR games will be meticulously researched ahead of time, to avoid analogue movement!

I struggle with even 3D in films - they tend to give me a huge head ache.... I had a really funny experience with 3D though - I went to see the animated Christmas Carol film (the Jim Carrey one,) from like 2009 really drunk on my birthday, not just a little tipsy, proper leathered, and as I walked into the cinema the adverts were playing, me being three sheets to the wind I'd already put my 3D glasses on, and they had one of the 3D enhanced adverts, and someone in the advert kicked a football at the screen which naturally flies out towards you, to which I audibly shouted "ARGHHHHHHHHHH" as I jumped onto the floor to avoid it coming straight at me.... There have been few times where I've felt that stupid!

Congrats on getting through it though! The aftermath doesn't exactly sound like a fun time though...You must be feeling a little worse for wear today.

Sounds like it is something that is worth doing - especially as you came out of Rhombus of Ruin with a lot of positivity, that's a good indicator that there is agood time to be had with VR if you can find the stuff that won't turn your front room into the most disgusting Jackson Pollock painting :lol:

6 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

A live action pink elephant scene is definitely intriguing, but I'm with you on that one - curious for sure, but I just can't see it touching that crazy ass original.

I don't know if you've seen Across the Universe, but I remember watching that one on shrooms and the bit with the soldiers being drafted and shipped off to war carrying the Statue of Liberty was so intense I had to stop watching and go outside! Then I busied myself for who knows how long marveling at how green the grass was1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png

Good times. Anyway saying all that to say that I could only imagine how Dumbo as a whole would feel!

Agreed pretty hard on your observation about those Disney movies tapping into visceral feelings and experience for kids. I had a few especially unpleasant stretches in my childhood, and I remember the bits where parents got really angry with their children fucked with me well into adulthood - for years I thought of Cinderella as scary just because of something as simple as her being locked in a room! Manipulative? Maybe a bit. But the happy endings always balanced it out!

It's bound to be slightly different - Tim Burton made the most recent version of Dumbo, but he's not exactly been on a hot streak lately as a filmmaker so who knows. I'm not exactly in a rush to find out with that one.

I've not seen Across the Universe, but I've just looked into it, and it sounds pretty interesting, so I might have to give it a look at some point. I'll probably skip out on foraging for some shrooms for my viewing though, if that was how you reacted to it.

I meant to say if I did see Bambi, I'm too young to remember...... I'm sure you knew what I meant anyway.

Sorry to hear that about those unpleasant childhood stretches  you had - I guess at Disney they were aware that unfortunately people all over have experiences like that - and the happy ending is there to give them a little bit of hope that they can have one too perhaps.

6 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

You have, and it makes me want to go back and give it a real watch. Especially after hearing about that person's sister. There is a beauty to art making people feel less alone that I don't think any other discipline can really match.

Well said - that's a great point too by the way, I absolutely agree that art in any form really holds that power better than a lot of things - especially when it's often open to so many different interpretations too.

It's definitely worth watching -  but it's just so unbalanced, to the point where watching it frustrates me more than I enjoy it at times...... You have some of the darkest, beautifully satanic imagery that you could ever see in a Disney film, and then two minutes before that, you have talking Gargoyles flying around drawing stupid pictures in a scene where Tom Hulce is pouring his heart into singing about how he doesn't feel like he deserves to belong anywhere, because of what he looks like. Then it gets undermined by those Gargoyles.  Nothing is ever consistent, and it is so frustrating.

If you never watch the film - at least watch this scene...

It's probably the best scene in the whole film....... Tony Jay is phenomenal in it too, and you'll pretty much get a sense of why I talk him up so much every time I casually drop a mention of him into a review....... "Choose me, or, your fire, be mine or you will burn!" The fact they have a priest - saying what he's implying in that scene in a Disney film, it still surprises me that they actually went that far, but then everything else in the film is so tonally all over the place it makes my brain hurt.

7 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

What's funny is that while of course I'm sure it's good overall, the thing that makes me most excited to play Heavy Rain is finding all the jokes I've been missing out on! I'm at most two Quantic Dream games away from starting a Clown on David Cage Day1f604.png

I have a strange relationship with Quantic Dream games - they frustrate me just as much as I enjoy them. I think David Cage is an absolute prize assclown, but I always seem to enjoy playing them to some extent. Very strange indeed, it'll be interesting seeing what you think of them if you ever delve into more of them.

...does anyone want to switch seats?

I still like to walk up after a task I had nothing to do with is complete and say "well, my work is done here." Unfortunately nobody is ever blunt enough to point out that I didn't so anything, so the reference remains incomplete.

Haha! Brilliant....

.....You just aren't doing it with people that look enough like Barney Gumble.... There's someone who lives in the same city as me that looks a little bit like him funnily enough - he looks like a mix of him and Haggrid from Harry Potter.

I absolutely think the originals would outsell the remasters, and I can't help wondering why that would be a bad thing. You took the words right out of my mouth - back in the earlier days when they were that young, hungry publisher eager to churn out as many button-pushing games as they could, the sort of shit they're pulling now would have mortified them. Sad indeed.

I do love me some nostalgia, but you gotta keep it moving. What if I'd seen FF VII and thought "nah, it's all about Chrono Trigger for me." Always gotta be on the lookout for something that might be great, and speaking of which...

Well at least we can spend all of our hard earned money on shark cards right? That's the most important thing, the fact they've turned GTA Online into the Rockstar equivalent of Habbo Hotel or Second Life..... Makes me want to just do the whole " YOU SOLD OUT MAAAAAAAN" thing.

Nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia, I agree but it shouldn't sustain you, like it seems to do for some people....... There's a really surreal sketch show over here called League of Gentleman - which did a fairly interesting meta commentary in their run of specials a couple of years back where one of the characters basically addresses the concept of constantly going back to the same things on repeat, by them saying and this won't be quoting verbatim, because it was years ago, but the general idea was " It's nice to come back for a revisit every one in a while, but we shouldn't do it all the time, that's not good for anyone" I thought it was pretty brave for a show with quite a big following to do that.

...your enthusiastic reviews are always your best. Great job! Now I'm like uh oh, better check this one out too1f643.png

Thanks man! I appreciate that.

It's a fairly short one too - so it's another one you could keep in reserve if you wanted to like with Grim Fandango if it interested you enough.... I don't think it's anymore than about 12-15 hours from what I remember if you don't skip the dialogue.

1 hour ago, The_Kopite said:

Yeah I had a mad burst and did 5 of my trophy guides within something like a 2 month period as I was on a roll but after that, I didn't want to overdo it and realised I wasn't playing as much or reading my gaming mag etc so I wanted to tone it down. You are correct, you have to put a good amount of time into creating one.

5? Geez, that's quite a few..... I find the prospect of potentially writing just one pretty daunting. You weren't kidding about being on a roll.

I'll have to look out for on ITV3 on the tv guide. It's a shame when a TV show starts to go downhill after a few seasons for whateer reason.

They might have switched channels, because I caught the end of an episode yesterday on ITV4 at about 8 in the morning, so they might be showing it on there these days. It looked like they were about to start showing series 2.

It's ironic you mention it going downhill - because the stories are excellent in series 3, probably better than some in series 1 and 2, but the new Robin just didn't work, and in a show called Robin of Sherwood, he kind of has to right. You had all these possible small story inclusions, like the other characters don't trust him completely, that kind of thing,but they pretty much leave that out, and Jason Connery doesn't quite have the same acting clout as his Dad, or at least he didn't when he did that show.

I'm not particularly excited about a remake of 4 tbh, don't think it's needed whereas Code Veronica getting a remake would be of much more interest to me but there you go. After that though, they need to leave it absolutely. Imagine how many people would buy an original classics trilogy of the first 3 PS1 games on one bluray....

I don't really think Resident Evil 4 actually needs to be remade - maybe I'll change my mind on that when I play it soon, but I don't think it really needs it.

I do think Code Veronica should have gotten one though. I know you don't mind creepy Steve, but I can't stand that absolute slimy little freak, so I'd like a Code Veronica Steveless edition please! Interesting about having all 3 PS1 Classics on one Bluray, so long as we didn't get the Directors Cut of RE1 - nobody needs to have bleeding ears from the music in that version. I'm guessing you know about that weird controversy with the composer of that version,about the fact the composer pretended that he was deaf? Strange. 

Chris' appearance has been the one which has changed the most over the games, they really need to settle down now (which I think they have with RE Village but I don't know for sure having never played it) and just make sure the writing is on point.

He's basically got three different distinctive looks, and none of them are all too consistent.... You've got RE1- Code Veronica, where he looks, well like he does, then you have his Gibbon phase as I like to call it, from RE5 through Revelations and RE6..... Then he changes again for RE7, which I think is their attempt to try and make him look like he does in his I.D photo thing from the PS1 version of RE1, it's so strange. I think they wrote him fairly well in the Not a Hero  DLC, so hopefully that consistency continues going forward.

They were trying to cater for everyone with their 3 campaigns with differing styles and characters etc. It seemed kind of logical at the time but in hindsight was an error of judgement. They stretched themselves too thin trying to appease all the different types of fans and satisfied noone properly.

Yep - that's a little too accurate - tried to please everyone, and managed to please very few. I quite like how the stories end up intersecting with each other, I think that aspect of it is pretty cool, and Ada's campaign does a pretty good job of showing how everything ties together. So it definitely does have plenty of positives.

Yeah I've heard great things about Drakengard but alas it's another series that has just passed me by.

I think you'd probably like them, that and NieR (all part of the same universe) - one of my favourite Square Enix franchises - dark as anything, but they are great. Drakengard 3 is a comedy as black as night, but so hilarious in places. One of the few times I've spent £25 on DLC and not felt ripped off.

2 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Haha it's ironic you say that as Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 is platinum 125. It was way too long and I'll never do that again that's for sure (Only future Lego game that interests me at the mo is the new Star Wars one) but I got that platinum with my wife so it holds a special place despite it's drawbacks. Had to go through a lot of the game again on my wife's side just to complete 10 challenges or something in the open world which was a big extra time sink.

Well I'm glad someone had a positive memory of it, ..... I really am.

Yep I'm all up for the new Lego Star Wars, I'm worried it's going to be a bit too overambitious, which is why it keeps getting delayed. I mean it was literally meant to be out by now, but it just keeps getting delayed more and more.

It was those challenges in Marvel Super Heroes 2 that I liked the least - they were so tedious, if there was a way to have them appear on the map like they do in most Lego titles I probably would have enjoyed them a little bit more.

I felt that there were too many side activities for the game than was really needed. I did them as soon as I could in the story so at least I didn't leave them all until the end but still think a good chunk of them could have been left and it would have benefitted the game's overall pace imho.

That's a fair point actually - I did the same thing, by just doing the side content as it came up, but some of the crimes in progress were pretty tedious - as those one seem the most like they don't have to be there. But I do agree that Spiderman PS4 suffers from the same thing a lot of open world games do, which is fairly lacklustre side content. Yet most people don't seem to call it out for it, I guess because there probably isn't an overabundance of it to really get offended by.

I got really sick of some of it in the DLC though - as it really felt tacked on to some of the crimes in progress into those.

Yeah one thing I am looking forward to with the PS5 is it finally having tracking for these types of trophies in the trophy list going forwards. 10000 kills without a tracker is going to be monotonous that's for sure. Doing the 1000 kills in Road Rage was bad enough lol

I've already seen the review has been posted so congrats on another one written up :)

Tell me about it!

I'm very much looking forward to having that feature on hand too - I hate that uncertain feeling you get when you think you should have unlocked something by now, but it just hasn't. Makes me really paranoid I've had a glitch, so hopefully we won't have that as a problem on the PS5, fingers crossed.

Is Road Rage any good? I keep seeing that on sale, and can never decide whether or not I actually want to play it.

Cheers on the review by the way, I ought to review something not point-and-clicky soon though, been doing a lot of those lately it feels like.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

No Elcor in the picture makes Rob a dull boy X 400 on a wall......

..... I love that though - one of them has me really stumped though - which is the one second in from the left? I can't figure that one out? Is it Javik? Because I'm yet to actually play all the DLC content for Mass Effect 3.

Yeah, that's Javik - man, piece of nonsense them making him DLC - that was really a terrible move.

I've never played ME3 without Javik, and from that vantage point, he feels completely integral to the game - to be honest, having only played the game with him there, if someone asked me "Which character do you think could be removed without it leaving a narrative hole?" there would be like 7 other characters I got to before him!

I wish Peter Jackson had just said no thank you, when they asked him to step in and make The Hobbit...... Alas, they can't all be winners. There are very few instances in cinematic history where things feel more like a shallow, soulless, and unnecessary cash grab than those films do. At best they should have been 2 short films, not three overly long flabby, boring films that waste all of the potential that making three films affords you.You know expanding the dwarves as characters, exploring them as people, that kind of thing.Such a shame really.

You know - I don't hate those movies the way some folks seem to - they aren't great, and certainly pale by comparison... but that might be more to do with me not really having a lot of reverence for the source material. I loved LotR as a book when growing up, but even then, I never much cared about the Hobbit, and only read it once I think, so really, those movies felt as much like an original creation as anything to me - I barely had any memory of the original book, outside of the Riddles in the Dark section.

I do think it's telling though, that I enjoy watching the making-of documentaries about those Hobbit movies far more than the actual finished films...

I'm glad House of Leaves is like that though, it sounds challenging, but in the best way possible. That's such a great description - and I love the idea of having to turn the book upside down left and right, and all kinds of ways in an attempt to make sense of some of it.

I'll hold off on Only Revolutions then - and see if Santa can drop House of Leaves down my chimney instead.

Thanks for those recommendations man! I'm looking forward to reading those.

Absolutely man - if you suddenly disappear from the site for a week and a half, I shall just assume you fell into a House of Leaves catatonia as I did when I was given a copy ?

I don't think even the reaper is safe from Mr Eastwood - he'll just kneecap him with a Hand Cannon - and deliver the immortal "Do you feel, lucky punk?" Line..... Then just stroll off whistling Ennio Morricone's "The Ecstasy of Gold" piece from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I struggle with even 3D in films - they tend to give me a huge head ache.... I had a really funny experience with 3D though - I went to see the animated Christmas Carol film (the Jim Carrey one,) from like 2009 really drunk on my birthday, not just a little tipsy, proper leathered, and as I walked into the cinema the adverts were playing, me being three sheets to the wind I'd already put my 3D glasses on, and they had one of the 3D enhanced adverts, and someone in the advert kicked a football at the screen which naturally flies out towards you, to which I audibly shouted "ARGHHHHHHHHHH" as I jumped onto the floor to avoid it coming straight at me.... There have been few times where I've felt that stupid!

????

Congrats on getting through it though! The aftermath doesn't exactly sound like a fun time though...You must be feeling a little worse for wear today.

Sounds like it is something that is worth doing - especially as you came out of Rhombus of Ruin with a lot of positivity, that's a good indicator that there is agood time to be had with VR if you can find the stuff that won't turn your front room into the most disgusting Jackson Pollock painting :lol:

I'm not kidding - I still feel a bit odd. that's almost 22 hours and a sleep later.

The only time i feel this weird this long is after spending several weeks on a boat, then feeling land-sick when I get off.

That's a lesson well learned!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Yeah, that's Javik - man, piece of nonsense them making him DLC - that was really a terrible move.

I've never played ME3 without Javik, and from that vantage point, he feels completely integral to the game - to be honest, having only played the game with him there, if someone asked me "Which character do you think could be removed without it leaving a narrative hole?" there would be like 7 other characters I got to before him!

James would be first out the door for me, only thing I remember about him is that he's voiced by Freddie Prinze Jnr - or if Ashley the Space Racist survived past the first game in my trilogy, then she'd be first out instead ?...

..... I always wanted to play through the game with Javik onboard, but never had the chance..... One of my friends played ME3 Legendary recently after never playing with Javik, and he said it changed the whole thing for him, as he thought he was hilarious, and an absolutely necessary part of the team.

I am planning to burn a load of money and buy all of the DLC for Mass Effect 3 for the PS3, I know I could just get the Legendary Edition, but I've already gotten most of the trophies so I might as well finish that version off. It'll also give me a chance to do a Fem Shep playthrough, because across at least 6 or 7playthroughs of ME1 and 2 combined and 1 on ME3 I've still never played as Fem Shep, so I think it's about time I give that one a try.

You know - I don't hate those movies the way some folks seem to - they aren't great, and certainly pale by comparison... but that might be more to do with me not really having a lot of reverence for the source material. I loved LotR as a book when growing up, but even then, I never much cared about the Hobbit, and only read it once I think, so really, those movies felt as much like an original creation as anything to me - I barely had any memory of the original book, outside of the Riddles in the Dark section.

I do think it's telling though, that I enjoy watching the making-of documentaries about those Hobbit movies far more than the actual finished films.

I don't think my issue with them is actually most peoples issue with them either. The Hobbit is very much a children's book - whilst Tolkien was patently aware that when writing Lord of the Rings that his reading audience from The Hobbit would have grown up substantially by the time LotR released. So even trying to recreate LotR tone for The Hobbit was never quite going to work, as they are such different things anyway tonally. But honestly the adaptation per se is not my problem with it, it just didn't need to be three films.

But it's the film-maker part of my brain that really dislikes those films, do you know (actually you do, that's rhetorical) how fortunate and lucky I'd feel to be able to make even one feature film. He gets to make three, but  you can so patently tell that Peter Jackson didn't care as much about making them - and he didn't, because he never wanted to do them to begin with, he just kind of got stuck doing it once Guillermo Del Toro pulled out, allegedly because he didn't like the fact the studio wanted it to be multiple films (now his Hobbit films, I would have liked to have seen).  So when you have scenes with really lazily done CGI, where you have Elves that literally all have the same face in a line, or you have Billy Connoly playing a fully CGI Dwarf riding a Pig, or just pointless padding, in films which the very nature of having more than one and exisiting, is itself POINTLESS PADDING all I want to do is this ?:facepalm:...... It just makes sad that when you could see how much passion he had for Lord of the Rings, very little of that actually comes through in The Hobbit films, or at least it didn't for me anyway.  It's ironic, you mentioned Riddles in the Dark, because that remains the best part of both the films and the book in my opinion.

They do have some great documentaries to be fair - and always nice to see the mole people snuffling around, but some real effort goes into producing those LotR/Hobbit docunmentaries.It's really impressive. I just wish that was a less accurate depiction of people who work in sound design/ foley work, however small scale that might be,  but it is.:lol: They just expect you to sit in a dingy room putting your hands through ham, or punching slabs of meat, or rubbing various things together, or one time in my case being asked to literally go into the woods at 4AM and record fox noises.

Absolutely man - if you suddenly disappear from the site for a week and a half, I shall just assume you fell into a House of Leaves catatonia as I did when I was given a copy 1f602.png

They do seem to be the kind of thing from those screenshots you sent - where you'd probably have to be hanging upside down from a tree whilst riding a unicycle and playing a Cor Anglais, and just glancing at the page in your peripheral vision to actually makes sense of some of it, which makes it all the more appealing for some reason. ?

...... So yes ? - that might very well be where I end up vanishing to.

I'm not kidding - I still feel a bit odd. that's almost 22 hours and a sleep later.

The only time i feel this weird this long is after spending several weeks on a boat, then feeling land-sick when I get off.

That's a lesson well learned!

Wow - that's pretty intense  then if you still feel not quite right now.

I've never heard of getting land-sick, I had no idea that was even a thing...... I just consulted with Doctor Google just now, and that must be really jarring, I found a little thing showing a few peoples documented experiences with it. That must be feel really bizarre.

• Like 1

Injecting myself into this conversation:

- the Mass Effect shadow image is the squadmate selection screen from ME2, not ME3. Second from the left is Legion (the geth). I had issues with the PS3 ME DLCs, so I've not played with Javik yet but that, plus a chance to play through as femshep, are big draws that I look forward to for a ME Legendary Edition run in a couple of years.

- Peter Jackson's LOTR movies are the best movies of my time. I am also in love with the special features on the discs, I've seen those too many times (the yearly rewatch order in the Gonzohouse is: one full watch of the movies, one watch of the special features, and another watch of the movies). The Hobbit movies were a complete travesty. They stay in the cupboard.

- those books look really cool. Is there one that is recommended as a "if you only read one from this author, it should be this one?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

the Mass Effect shadow image is the squadmate selection screen from ME2, not ME3. Second from the left is Legion (the geth).

Oh snap - you’re right! :facepalm:

So…does that mean they failed that design test there then - at least on us? ?

1 hour ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

those books look really cool. Is there one that is recommended as a "if you only read one from this author, it should be this one?"

I think that one - House of Leaves - needs to be the first one for sure. It’s the one that put him on the map - it blew me away, and I think the impact of it needs to be ‘pure’ that way.

Only Revolutions is cool, but its meta-concept is, I think, predicated on the reader having learned and ‘bought in’ to what he did with House of Leaves already…

…plus, fundamentally, I think House of Leaves is just better - so yeah, if you do just one, that’s the one!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

They do have some great documentaries to be fair - and always nice to see the mole people snuffling around, but some real effort goes into producing those LotR/Hobbit docunmentaries.It's really impressive. I just wish that was a less accurate depiction of people who work in sound design/ foley work, however small scale that might be,  but it is.:lol: They just expect you to sit in a dingy room putting your hands through ham, or punching slabs of meat, or rubbing various things together, or one time in my case being asked to literally go into the woods at 4AM and record fox noises.

@rjkclarke please upload audio and/or video of you in a dark room putting your hands into wet ham. Slowly.

• Like 2