Kentaro Miura, author of Berserk, passed away at age 54

Damn, i never expected him to be the first to go out of the big 3 authors known for thier hiatuses(behind george rr martin and the hunter x hunter artist togashi(this one would devestate me the most if he died and left his story unfinished)) but it especially sucks that his death was so sudden too and unlike togashi any health problems aren't that widely known so his death comes at even more out of left field. It just goes to show you that any story could be at risk of ending suddenly because of how brutal the manga industry is(even with hiatuses) because even reliable mangaka like eiichiro oda and hiro madhima could secretly have health problems and potentially leave one piece and edens zero at the risk of being unfinished. Anyways R.I.P and i hope a good studio gets to redo the anime and give it the great adaptation it deserves like jojos and hunter x hunter had(even if it wont get a real ending)

This is an amateur translation from a friend, this letter can be found in the attached official tweet: "Basically the first part is a farewell letter written by himself, talking about the complications of the disease and how he was in very bad health recently. In the second part, if I understood correctly was the publisher and/or family saying that they is not sure what to do with the work from now on, since, unfortunately, he did not leave a script for how he wanted to proceed with the final events, like a diary. the publisher and family ask fans to wait patiently, that soon news will come on the official account, they also apologized and that people understand that life is fragile and can end at any time". 

Oh man this hit hard. Berserk was one of my first anime. Literally my first anime watched and so far the only manga ive read (probs gonna be the only one if im honest).

I wonder if the story will get finished? Like did he have it planned/written down anywhere? Or does it get left unfinished? Or does someone else finish it?

Honestly im not sure which option i prefer.  

All i know is im sad right now. 

"Put your glasses on and nothing will be wrong"

RIP.

20 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Yeah I also fairly recently got into Berserk thanks to Berserk Musou which made me watch the first anime (the best one) first so I could understand a fair amount of the story at the beginning.

He was really quite young too.

Very sad indeed.

I just find it funny that everyone now considers anybody who died before the age of 70/80 years old to be very young. Like we're expecting everyone to hit the average life expectancy, but that is just an average.

I cannot say I read or seen Kentaro Miura's work much, but I heard a great deal about him. Regardless, we already lost enough good people this year in 2021. Seeing this just hurts my heart a little bit more.

Life moves on. I'll definitely be looking into his work.

• Like 1

Berserk was my very first manga back in 2013 and it has a special place on my heart. I have this profile pic since i just joined PSNProfiles and the same can be said about my twitter, facebook, instagram, etc. so yeah, this hurts. But hopefully this is not going to be the end of Berserk... 

Edited by jossmilan7412

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

I just find it funny that everyone now considers anybody who died before the age of 70/80 years old to be very young. Like we're expecting everyone to hit the average life expectancy, but that is just an average.

I cannot say I read or seen Kentaro Miura's work much, but I heard a great deal about him. Regardless, we already lost enough good people this year in 2021. Seeing this just hurts my heart a little bit more.

Life moves on. I'll definitely be looking into his work.

Yeah, normally if you die under the age of 60, that's considered dying a bit young.

I guess the older you are the older/younger it feels.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, enaysoft said:

Yeah, normally if you die under the age of 60, that's considered dying a bit young.

I guess the older you are the older/younger it feels.

It was the same thing with MF DOOM. Died young, and I consider him to be one of the most memorable underground rappers we ever had. I may of not hinted it before, but I am a huge, huge fan of old school rap. He was a gem in a sea of trash.

I've been collecting Berserk volumes in my mid 20s since 2008.  I found out about the news from a friend before I went to sleep yesterday. I'm shocked, if anything.

Comic book illustrators in Japan are known  to be overwork ed. I won't be surprised if it played a role in his heart failure.

Like a whole ton of manga, anime and games, Kentaro took a lot of inspiration in his work from the all time classic series Fist Of The North Star, and of course what is sad about that is that both the writer and the illustrator for the FOTNS 1983 Manga are both alive. In your 50s, is definitely such a shame.

On 5/21/2021 at 3:00 AM, kevao97 said:

... he did not leave a script for how he wanted to proceed with the final events ...

As a fan for almost 20 years this is what hits the hardest about Miura's passing.

Whatever the involved people decide, I wish they would continue the story. They knew the author best and are the greatest hope in continuing the story as Miura had intended.