Kentaro Miura, author of Berserk, passed away at age 54

I'm so gutted I just recently got into Berserk thanks to Bloodborne, just got up to volume 7 and been loving it so far. RIP Kentaro I haven't gotten very far in your story but I know just by reading those few chapters Berserk is special. 

• Like 2

This is one of the news I really wish wasn't true... Berserk is my favorite manga, to the point that I feel it transcended the manga field. Obviously, Miura's work influenced alot of games, including the Souls series. 

RIP Kentaro Miura, one of the best mangaka of all time. 

• Like 3

Yeah I also fairly recently got into Berserk thanks to Berserk Musou which made me watch the first anime (the best one) first so I could understand a fair amount of the story at the beginning.

He was really quite young too.

Very sad indeed.

• Like 1

I'm at a loss.  So much of what he did is everywhere.  Bloodborne's been mentioned a lot.  Mercedes from Dragon's Dogma looks just like Casca.  First time I heard of Berserk was from Valkyrie Profile.  The first party member you get is basically Guts.  The Dragon Slayer is like one of the most iconic swords ever.  

Absolutely devastated by this news. Berserk is one of my all-time favorites and Miura's work has influenced some of my favorite games. Berserk has been a large part of my life and to hear that the man behind it has passed away has me heartbroken. To think that he passed away nearly two weeks ago is absolutely shocking. 

My utmost condolences to his family. 

• Like 3

Berserk is one of the first series that got me into anime-manga back in early 00s. 

It is a masterpiece combining both Lovecraft and Tolkien elements in an awesome (and cruel) world. So do not be bothered by not-finished story, it's one of the best.

When I found out about this I had to Google about Kentaro just to be sure. Truly a sad time. Berserk is something that he started writing when he was only 23 years old. That makes 31 years in the making, and he never got to see it through. Rest in peace legend ?

• Like 1

It's sad to hear. I read up until the infamous Boat Arc of the manga a couple years ago and the story and setting really gripped me. I intended to wait until it finished to resume but I guess that won't happen now. And coincidentally enough I was just thinking of starting on watching the 1997 OVA soon too.

Sad news, watched 1997 OVA series first, then the movies and then started collecting manga to read all from the beginning.

You have influenced many creators, R.I.P. legend.

t97n75f09g141.jpg

Edited by Ptirle
  • Like 3

Rip Kentaro Miura.I am an huge gore fan.Gatsu is one of my favourite character.Even if Berserk is incomplete it remains a masterpiece.For anime fans i suggest to watch the 1997 anime.I will rewatch it in order to celebrate his memory

Edited by TrafalgarWarGrey
  • Like 3

Eerily, I actually finally got around to reading the manga few days after he died, completely unaware he was no longer amongst the living until this news yesterday.

Very sad news indeed. I'm not even a fan of the series and it hit me like a ton of bricks, was hoping it was just some joke at first. May he rest in peace.

I wonder if the manga will remain unfinished, or be picked up by someone else. I'm not knowledgeable enough on the manga to know which would ultimately be for the best, but regardless, it's already had such a large influence on many people and other works of fiction, and it'll undoubtedly continue to be a legacy for a very, very long time.