Can this game be enjoyed in Japanese?

Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

I've been interested in this game for a long time, but as anyone that's interested in this game knows, it's unfortunately very rare to come by, and expensive, for an American physical copy or any of the Asian physical copies with English (some of which are called "Hakuna Matata" and don't have trophies). This game isn't available digitally either.

Japanese copies however, are pretty common and reasonably priced, I can still find new copies on ebay and PlayAsia. But unfortunately, that version doesn't have English language support.

I understand very little Japanese, especially when it comes to kanji. For anyone out there that's played this in any form, do you think it would be possible to understand and enjoy it to some degree if I don't understand the language?

It's just really bugging me that this is the only PS3 game I don't own that I've always wanted, but have been constantly put off by the price and scarcity of English copies. My PS3 backlog is slowly dwindling, will likely be finished it in another year or two, but this game is always going to nagging me at the back of my mind, leaving this empty Afrika shaped hole in my otherwise "complete" PS3 library.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NERVergoproxy said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324691124532?hash=item4b99196134:g:16EAAOSwUWpg1hmM $58 with "make offer"

Maybe they will accept it a bit lower, though I dont know what the norm price is for a korean copy is but seems all the other NA copies are at a eww price. 

edit: ah looking further they may not do international shipping.

Any game labeled Hakuna Matata has no trophies

• Like 2

I remember seeing the game available at the stores, I even hold it in my hands, but not giving too much though after reading some less positive reviews.

I guess these niche games are great to profit decades later, sucks for those that want to play many years laters. 

On 25/06/2021 at 9:16 PM, HuntingFever said:

Not a chance in hell. This game is very text and menu heavy so If you don't know the language, you won't have the faintest idea what you're supposed to do, where to look or where to go so stick with the English version.

Yeah, I watched a few youtube vids of the Japanese version and it seems that's sadly the case. Oh well.

7 minutes ago, Ninjise said:

I remember seeing the game available at the stores, I even hold it in my hands, but not giving too much though after reading some less positive reviews.

I guess these niche games are great to profit decades later, sucks for those that want to play many years laters. 

I've always been mildly interested in this game, but it's not like it was ever easy to obtain here in the UK, since it never got a European physical, and I didn't feel like spending extra importing a game I was only a bit interested in.

At least nowadays, if I happen to miss out on a game that's gone rare/expensive physically, there's usually the option to get it digitally (if it hasn't been delisted), but that isn't the case for Afrika.

Because of this game and others, I generally just try to buy any niche game I'm mildly interested enough in nowadays close to launch. Seen way too many even somewhat niche games get super expensive very quickly after release. If I end up never playing it or not liking it, it may be worth double or more the price than when I got it. And if it isn't, it doesn't feel like a huge loss, would have been more regretful not getting it when it was reasonably priced vs wasting some money on a game I end up never playing or disliking.

I'm not too hard to please anyway, I generally enjoy most games I play enough to finish them, it's rare that I drop anything. It has to be something super boring and/or frustrating/unenjoyable that I won't even at least reach the credits, even if I don't enjoy a game enough to bother with side content. Most recent case of that is Way of the Samurai 3, and I kinda regret having also bought Way of the Samurai 4 as a result now (got them both at that same time), but I'll give 4 a chance eventually at least, maybe it might be more enjoyable.

• Like 1