The Walking Dead

Dreakon139

8 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

Den of Geek: Walking Dead season 9 confirmed

Scott Gimple will be bumped up to Chief Content Officer & there will be a new showrunner, longtime writer Angela Kang.

Here's the Hollywood Reporter story where I heard about Lauren Cohan being in a salary dispute with AMC.

That... Is not good news. God damn it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hugglebunn-e said:

I am with you. I wish they would at least shorten the seasons and reduce the cast. There are so many characters that I do not care about.

I think the cast is definitely getting reduced, since...

Spoiler

... Lauren Cohan (Maggie) is apparently leaving the cast to focus on another AMC show, Chandler Riggs (Carl) is leaving due to his character's death, heck Andrew Lincoln (Rick) might even be leaving for his character's death, I believe Lennie James (Morgan) is leaving to focus on Fear the Walking Dead, and I heard Norman Reedus (Daryl) is having troubles with AMC too. These are all asides from potential deaths that will come at the cost of killing Negan. So I think Season 9 is definitely going to have a shortage of characters / cast.

Edited by ddracarys

Looks like rough times ahead for TWD.  Rick getting killed would be a real shock & I wouldn't be too glad about that, but anything can happen.   If TWD loses Daryl, I think I might be done with it.  Hopefully they'll finish the Saviors story 100% within this season.

Maybe season 9 might be a good place to wrap the whole thing up after all?

Edited by gameoverDude189

1 hour ago, glassthursday said:

I would hope they plan on wrapping it up as I concur it's dragged on for too long due to this past season in particular. I'm not sure how much I can take if the quality of the mid-season premiere is an indication of what's to come.

I still like it but can't deny that it is starting to feel repetitive. I'd like to see the Savior threat resolved for good before this season ends, & have the story move on.

16 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

One of the producers mentioned how they wanted to run the show for 20+ years a while back, so I doubt it'll end in a season or two. There are a handful of characters still keeping me invested in the show, but I feel if Rick dies, that would be the end of the show for me. 

I doubt The Walking Dead will make it past 10 Seasons (at most), especially considering all of the cast's drama and the show's recent lack of ratings. Season 8 is actually when I was hoping it would end, but much to my disappointment, Season 9 recently got confirmed.

Edited by ddracarys
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ddracarys said:

I doubt The Walking Dead will make it past 10 Seasons (at most), especially considering all of the cast's drama and the show's recent lack of ratings. Season 8 is actually when I was hoping it would end, but much to my disappointment, Season 9 recently got confirmed.

Isn't it still one of the most popular shows on TV? Even with the cast issues, I feel like they'll just introduce new characters to take over and continue the story so long as it's lucrative.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Isn't it still one of the most popular shows on TV? Even with the cast issues, I feel like they'll just introduce new characters to take over and continue the story so long as it's lucrative.

The only reason why I, and many others are still watching, is because we want to support our favourite character(s). We want to see where they will end up, etc. After 8 Seasons, the characters are all that matter anyway. Especially during the show's rough episodes, our favourite characters make those kind of episodes bearable to watch. Take away the characters, and quite frankly The Walking Dead is nothing.

6 hours ago, ddracarys said:

The only reason why I, and many others are still watching, is because we want to support our favourite character(s). We want to see where they will end up, etc. After 8 Seasons, the characters are all that matter anyway. Especially during the show's rough episodes, our favourite characters make those kind of episodes bearable to watch. Take away the characters, and quite frankly The Walking Dead is nothing.

What I mean is that they will introduce new characters that will slowly take over from the old before killing them off. I can see it happening if they can introduce characters as likeable as Neagan because he did get me reinvested in the show.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

What I mean is that they will introduce new characters that will slowly take over from the old before killing them off. I can see it happening if they can introduce characters as likeable as Neagan because he did get me reinvested in the show.

I guess so, yeah. Though I'm not even sure if they have enough time to introduce new characters anymore at the rate the show is going. It seems they're keeping all the "new" for Fear the Walking Dead.

This episode, 8.10 "The Lost & The Plunderers", was better than last. After this one, I think Simon may be more dangerous than Negan. That was the subject of a poll question on tonight's Talking Dead.

Spoiler

Well, there goes the idea of Jadis & The Scavengers turning on Rick.  Simon goes to the junkyard & confronts Jadis about her deal with Rick's group. Here it's shown how bonkers he is- he savagely guns down ALL the Scavengers except Jadis.  Yes, ALL.  Later on, she is alone & broken.  I actually felt sorry for her.

I'm wondering if Rick might end up more like Daryl after what happened tonight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gameoverDude189 said:

This episode, 8.10 "The Lost & The Plunderers", was better than last. After this one, I think Simon may be more dangerous than Negan. That was the subject of a poll question on tonight's Talking Dead.

Hide contents

Well, there goes the idea of Jadis & The Scavengers turning on Rick.  Simon goes to the junkyard & confronts Jadis about her deal with Rick's group. Here it's shown how bonkers he is- he savagely guns down ALL the Scavengers except Jadis.  Yes, ALL.  Later on, she is alone & broken.  I actually felt sorry for her.

I'm wondering if Rick might end up more like Daryl after what happened tonight.

You liked it?? I personally did not enjoy it at all. I know focusing on a lot of characters, faced with separate scenarios all in one episode is a common trope for shows, as I have seen it in many. So, this is more of a general opinion rather than The Walking Dead specific. But focusing on separate characters spreads out the content for the episode, and usually they just end up being messy. Each focused character has several minutes on the spotlight as they tackle their own issues, which usually get completely rushed due to spreading out too thin. Considering where The Walking Dead is at now, spreading out content is a horrible idea.

On 3/5/2018 at 1:25 AM, ddracarys said:

You liked it?? I personally did not enjoy it at all. I know focusing on a lot of characters, faced with separate scenarios all in one episode is a common trope for shows, as I have seen it in many. So, this is more of a general opinion rather than The Walking Dead specific. But focusing on separate characters spreads out the content for the episode, and usually they just end up being messy. Each focused character has several minutes on the spotlight as they tackle their own issues, which usually get completely rushed due to spreading out too thin. Considering where The Walking Dead is at now, spreading out content is a horrible idea.

Agreed speading out content only works when the viewer is connected to the characters. But, I will say this I think this episode was a shift in the right direction. The trash people were taken off the board, good thing in my opinion, while implying some sort of significance with the helipad/solar panels. Probably a setup for next season. Simon is always fun and he received some slight development, yeah he was only developed to make Negan look less like a baddie. Maybe prepping the viewers for Negan becoming a good guy.

At this point, for me at least, anything that reduces characters is a good move. Clear the playing field and give us some character development.

• Like 1

Show desperately needed a wildcard.  If that's Simon for now, that works.

Shane was great, The Governor was great... the cupboard has been pretty bare since then.  For this arc it feels like it was supposed to be Negan... but after his kick ass debut in the Season 7 opener, he's basically killed/hurt more of his own people (and not any significant ones) than anyone in Ricks crew.  No one among Rick and co are particularly unpredictable.  Daryl's been getting there but basically taking his frustration out on the grunts.  You basically have those who will kill Saviors if needed and others who don't want to.  Kinda boring.  And whenever the main characters do confront eachother its all conveniently either in situations intentionally set up to limit the opportunities to erupt in any interesting way or the main characters just get away (mostly) unscathed despite ample opportunities to take eachother out.  Seems like anyone dying of consequence lately is either on accident or a part of some scheme that you can see coming a mile away.

I'd like to see some more unpredictability, and eagerly awaiting the repercussions of it.  Simon in this past episode was perfect.  Need more of that.

Edited by Dreakon13

10 hours ago, hugglebunn-e said:

At this point, for me at least, anything that reduces characters is a good move. Clear the playing field and give us some character development.

On 3/9/2018 at 1:59 PM, gameoverDude189 said:

Make walkers feared again.

I agree with both of these points. Less characters, more development. Less political territorial bullshit, more walkers. I wanna get scared again when a character gets surrounded by walkers. I want to feel the fear of a character getting bit again. Carl was the first character who got bit in god knows when? It's been way too damn long. AMC, get Negan's arc over and done with, then turn this shit show around!

My thoughts on this show, the first half was pretty great. My favorite episode was the Morrigan roll back scene and the early episodes where Rick confronted new realities during hard ordeals like the Prison.  

One thing I will say, I feel some of these episodes drag with nothing really ordained, I'd like to see a Negan roll back episode with some surprises or tie-ins from early on.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2018 at 6:33 PM, ddracarys said:

Everyone has signed back on now except Maggie. Didn't seem to be much drama outside of her.

As for the ratings, they're pretty far from lacking. Lacking compared to previous seasons? Yeah, definitely. Lacking compared to AMC's normal ratings curve? Not even close. They could still lose 75% more of their viewers and still be the highest rated show on the channel. And at the end of the day, that's all AMC cares about.

It's still pulling in like 7 million viewers. Breaking Bad only averaged 3 and they raved about how good it did. AMC would be happy with 1.5. There's still lots of room to drop lol.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2018 at 8:16 PM, gameoverDude189 said:

Looks like all-out war with the Saviors next Sunday, especially from the preview on Talking Dead.  In tonight's episode, Negan just slathered Lucille with walker guts.  I think shit's about to get real.  Not gonna miss this one.

Sure looks like being a doctor is hazardous to one's life on this show.

Speaking of the doctor, I wish his relationship with Gabriel wasn't so short-lived because he was starting to give Carson hope. Without a doctor, I'm curious to see how Negan would deal with his plan regarding the walker guts if it ends up backfiring on him and the Saviors.