Compilation of Tips & Experiences for 2021

FreshFromThaDeli

Nice post there!

EDIT: Ok now having completed the Survival mode myself, I can contribute to this awesome post done by @FreshFromThaDeli. Bless your heart for getting through this madness first.

So, an extra tip with DeathBringer. If you do a War Cry (⬇️↙️⬅️ + :circle:), your next Centaur move will be fully invincible. It will help you greatly against spamming bastards or DeathBringer...as long as you're the first to input it xD .

I'll do a "tier" list on Survival mode since yeah, that's the toughest mode out there.

Punching Bag - you won't have issues with these characters:

• Watson - why is this character even in the game?
  • Cedric - use War Cry and ignore his magic spit

Easy to deal with:

• Donvalve - keep your distance and just poke his pork belly
  • Ashley - he sucks at blocking the centaur. In later levels block low since he does his dash, he will bounce back and leave himself wide open

Somewhat challenging:

• Face - he can do tons of gun combos randomly, best to normal block and use centaur when you are away.
  • Olivia - she can be stupid fast, but she has one lame attack - flag dash. Block that and punish her.

Difficult to deal with:

• Freed - this is Balrog in Pirate form. Fortunately he never blocks Centaur for some reason.
  • Coyori - thank God she does pitiful damage. Try to knock her down then use War Cry and Centaur on her. She does TONS of combos
  • Deathbringer - probably the hardest enemy to deal with...if you are next to him. Keep your distance and spam centaur. Try to get him into the corner, centaur, backdash then centaur. Being near him = instant death
  • Urs - once he pops his chainsaw to max he blitzes across the screen like a madman. It's best to be patient and beat him with low pokes. He tends to Parry your regular pokes so be careful.

What is this bullshit?

• Marco - the short bastard from hell. Just War Cry him and pray he doesn't do his Heat mode
  • Odile&Dokurod - this character is here because it's the only character that can infinite you, as in combo your entire health barThis character can't infinite you but you can have a very hard time blocking all of her attacks. Her dive attack is the best way to punish her.

Hope it helps abit :D the rest has been perfectly explained by @FreshFromThaDeli

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Copanele said:

Nice post there!

Thank you ?

Amazing tips. Thanks for sharing. I can personally vouch for them all.

I forgot to mention how challenging Urs was with his Donkey Kong Banana Barrel Blasting move ?

Well done on your hard earned trophy!

Edited by FreshFromThaDeli
  • Like 1

Yo, @FreshFromThaDeli & @Copanele, thank you very much for sharing your tips & strategies with this game. I have a tough trip ahead of me with this one so it's really nice to get some fresh info and takes on this game from experienced players. That should make my experience on this one, hopefully, a bit less challenging at least.

I will be taking to heart all the tips you post here, so don't stop. :P Maybe we can bring more light to this obscure title to prove that it isn't as impossible as people claim it out to be. If I find anything additional to add for when it's my turn to go for it, I'll be sure to share it out here as well. :D

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

Yo, @FreshFromThaDeli & @Copanele, thank you very much for sharing your tips & strategies with this game. I have a tough trip ahead of me with this one so it's really nice to get some fresh info and takes on this game from experienced players. That should make my experience on this one, hopefully, a bit less challenging at least.

I will be taking to heart all the tips you post here, so don't stop. :P Maybe we can bring more light to this obscure title to prove that it isn't as impossible as people claim it out to be. If I find anything additional to add for when it's my turn to go for it, I'll be sure to share it out here as well. :D

You are fully welcome and best of luck to you when you do get round to this game ?

• Like 1

So... I thought I add some of my experience into this, since I have finished that plat so many time I lost the count lol

First of all @Copanele Odile can't do any infinite combos ^^

And now for some You Want me to What? shenanigans:

- if you have parried the apocalypse flame once and don't want to do it again in the same fight, you can dash up to End of Deathbringer and grab him, a grab subtracts one of his 3 charges

- you can manipualte him into doing what you want him to do, if you know what i mean lol reducing his distance between him and yourself, followed by going away (like a street fighter shimmy, but from a distance) baits him to do his centaur attack, you want to always be about half to 3/4 screen away from him

- since i have done this trophy with all the characters I can tell you which characters to do it as and which to better avoid

- the hardest characters to get the trophy with were Cedric and Freed for a very simple reason - usually you punish deathbringer by parrying, heating up and doing an easy bnb or a super, but those 2 characters' supers totally suck for that particular punish

- number of parries you have to do during his centaur rush depends on the height of your character as well as the distance between you two, tall characters have to do either 6 parries, followed by 3, or 7 parries followed by 3 when up close, short characters have to parry between 5 and 7 hits followed by 2 depending on the distance, 7 is pretty rare though for them and has to really be in your face for that to happen

Apocalypse Flame Parry:

- for practice method use a metronome and set it to 212 beats per minute, that is your parry timing

For time attack mode:

Urs is faster than deathbringer :o yeah, really lol

Use his QCB B or QCB D while in heat mode and you will melt the enemy hp in no time.

Edited by SnowNinjaRaccoon
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

Snip

I didn't know some of those things you mentioned such as the heights of the character you're playing as play a part in determining the amount of parries you need to do against Deathbringer's Centaur attack. I didn't even think of that.

Thanks for clearing up those things.

6 hours ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

- snip - 

Ok, if Odille can't do infinites, means my blocking really sucked in that fight xD will update my original post. 

Also i just need a confirmation. If I 100% the story with all characters do I unlock End of Deathbringer to use in practice mode? It will be easier to practice his apocalypse flame beforehand since yeah... Rhythm and me don't get along too well, metronome included. 

Thanks for explaining the pause trick over here, @Copanele. It should prove helpful for the ones of us that have little to no sense of rhythm. ?

Now, pause tricks have never worked for me before because they just throw off my combo even more. But here against Deathbringer, it could prove helpful, who knows. Any strategy is valid against this guy.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, yuber1234 said:

How can you tell which version of the centaur attack he's about to use? Sometimes it hits 5 times before the pause, and other times it's 6 or 7.

It's all about the distance between you and Deathbringer. 

Edge of screen - 5 hits

Mid range - 6

Close or 1 character distance away - 7 hits

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I should mention that I just got 100% gallery completion without clearing Arcade Mode with Face, Deathbringer, or Dokurod.

At the time that I got 100%, I had finished Story Mode, Arcade Mode with all characters except those mentioned above, Time Attack Mode, 15 wins in Survival Mode, Arcade Mode on all needed difficulties, and Arcade Mode with no continues. The last thing I did was the 15 wins in Survival Mode and I noticed that I unlocked a lot of gallery images right after.

I didn't do any of the combo trophies except for Coyori's, and I still have to do one character specific trophy each for Deathbringer and Freed.

Edited by yuber1234
Typo
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

This is mainly for people that are still struggling with the pause exploit. While I think much of this information is already fairly obvious, it might not be so straight forward for others.

Alright, so after having extensively practiced parrying Deathbringer's AF both normally and with the pause exploit, I personally preferred the pause exploit method. While @Copanele did an excellent job in breaking down the strategy to use, one thing that I thought was missing was understanding how the visual cue (the parry bubble) affected the timing for the parries in order to allow for better consistency. I got to the point where my un-pause, parry, pause timings were so consistent that I parried Deathbringer's AF twice in one round and still got the flawless victory. 

I found, at least for myself, that the size of the bubble around Urs greatly affected how quickly I needed to un-pause, parry, and pause again. The size of the bubble after parrying a hit will give you all the information you need in order to successfully parry the next hit with almost 100% accuracy. 

Basically, there are 3 bubble sizes to look out for:

***As already explained above, if there is no bubble around Urs, un-pause and pause again lightning fast. Then you will see the bubble appear and can continue with the strategy.***

1) If the bubble is very small, you can un-pause, briefly wait about half a second before parrying, and then pause again (it's scary intentionally having to wait half a second after un-pausing, but you have to do it because if you press the parry button too soon, you will eat the next attack).

2) However, if the bubble is very large, you will need to un-pause, hit the parry button very quickly (but not lightning fast), and then pause again.

3) Ideally, you want to try to aim for the bubble to be medium size as this allows for the best rhythm. You will need to practice the timing for these but once you find a rhythm that produces medium sized bubbles, you'd be surprised how easy it is to maintain that rhythm.

In other words, a smaller bubble means you need to wait longer before parrying the next hit, while a larger bubble means you need to parry the next hit faster as the previous parry has already almost finished by the time you re-paused. Knowing this will allow for better consistency when parrying, while simultaneously preventing early parries from occurring. 

Additionally, sometimes what will happen is that you will un-pause, parry, and pause again too quickly and it might be hard to tell if your parry is going to hit or whiff because you re-paused too quickly and nothing has registered yet that you can see. If you're quick enough, you can repeat the steps and it's possible you can still parry the next hit (but there's also a chance it'll whiff if done too early). While this can sometimes be used to salvage a parry that might have been input too quick, I wouldn't rely on this as a safety net as more pausing and un-pausing will only add to the chances of failing. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Copanele said:

@z99f thanks for the extra details, you are right that's how the pause bubbles work normally.

Parrying Deathbringer legit is incredibly annoying especially since you can randomly experience some lag due to all the screen effects.

Yeah, what I explained is pretty standard stuff. I mainly wanted to add it as a supplement on the off chance someone who isn't too familiar with the parrying cues stumbles across this hidden game and wants to give it a go. Even the more novice players shouldn't have too much difficulty with the pause exploit with all the good information listed here.

I successfully parried Deathbringer legit a number of times but successfully getting the very first parry input got annoying so I decided to try out the pause exploit. I guess everyone has their own preference at the end of the day.  

Edited by z99f
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the tips, they were very useful for the Survival and Time attack mode.

Just to add something, you can unlock the final form of Deathbringer if you get 100% with every character in story mode, this can ONLY be used in training mode and I believe vs PC and 2P

You don't need to complete arcade mode with every character to unlock the 100% gallery, but you need to do some trophies related to that mode, like using Donvalve ultimate attack and so on. 

In survival mode the hardest characters to go againts in my opinion are:

Freed

Face

Marco

Deathbringer

Urs

In wathever order, facing them in rounds 22+ will be a challenge.

But just use the Centaur attack and block a lot, in higher rounds try not to use stand C,D,A,B because everyone will parry and punish you, some more than others.

Finally I think the easiest way to fight against Deathbringer in arcade VERY HARD is using that same character, you can parry his Centaur attack just jumpíng straight and parrying, I've been trying for two days to parry the Apocalipse Flame but I'm unable to do so, I managed to do it twice in training mode but still can't in Arcade, hopefully I'll get it in this days 

Here is what I mean, use DeathB, jumps straight and parry his Centaur attack, pretty easy, this can only be done with DB and DonValve, I assume because of the "weight" of the characters they don't get pushed backwards after the first hit. After you parry his Centaur attack, do that same attack against him with the TRIANGLE button so you can load the attack and knock him down so you won't get punished, try to do this MAX twice, after the second one the AI tends to block it and then you're screwed, so two Centaurs after parrying him and dash backwards fast to reposition yourself for the next attack.

Edit: Finally got it, it took me a couple days. IMO the hardest part is getting the exact rythm every time, sometimes you will parry 1/22 , sometimes 2/22, sometimes 9/22 and so on until you parry the entire attack, DON'T stop parrying until the attack is gone, by this I mean you should not count every parry you do because you will distract yourself following the rythm, just parry until the attack finish, I suggest following these 2 tricks:

1 - 212 bpm sounding in the background until you get it by muscle memory.

2 - Don't give up, sooner or later you will get it, 

Today I parried his attack in arcade twice and lost because i tried to rush it, he blocked and grabbed me, so I had to restart. Afer a couple tries I finally beat him. I did it without the "pause techinique", don't reccomend it unless you start using it from the very beginning, because if you switch from one technique to the other you will get your timings messed up, stick to just one, I suggest the normal way parrying the 22 attacks non stop. 

Good luck to everyone. 

Edited by Gosaguro
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/18/2022 at 9:54 PM, Gosaguro said:

Thanks for the tips, they were very useful for the Survival and Time attack mode.

Just to add something, you can unlock the final form of Deathbringer if you get 100% with every character in story mode, this can ONLY be used in training mode and I believe vs PC and 2P

You don't need to complete arcade mode with every character to unlock the 100% gallery, but you need to do some trophies related to that mode, like using Donvalve ultimate attack and so on. 

In survival mode the hardest characters to go againts in my opinion are:

Freed

Face

Marco

Deathbringer

Urs

In wathever order, facing them in rounds 22+ will be a challenge.

But just use the Centaur attack and block a lot, in higher rounds try not to use stand C,D,A,B because everyone will parry and punish you, some more than others.

Finally I think the easiest way to fight against Deathbringer in arcade VERY HARD is using that same character, you can parry his Centaur attack just jumpíng straight and parrying, I've been trying for two days to parry the Apocalipse Flame but I'm unable to do so, I managed to do it twice in training mode but still can't in Arcade, hopefully I'll get it in this days 

Here is what I mean, use DeathB, jumps straight and parry his Centaur attack, pretty easy, this can only be done with DB and DonValve, I assume because of the "weight" of the characters they don't get pushed backwards after the first hit. After you parry his Centaur attack, do that same attack against him with the TRIANGLE button so you can load the attack and knock him down so you won't get punished, try to do this MAX twice, after the second one the AI tends to block it and then you're screwed, so two Centaurs after parrying him and dash backwards fast to reposition yourself for the next attack.

Edit: Finally got it, it took me a couple days. IMO the hardest part is getting the exact rythm every time, sometimes you will parry 1/22 , sometimes 2/22, sometimes 9/22 and so on until you parry the entire attack, DON'T stop parrying until the attack is gone, by this I mean you should not count every parry you do because you will distract yourself following the rythm, just parry until the attack finish, I suggest following these 2 tricks:

1 - 212 bpm sounding in the background until you get it by muscle memory.

2 - Don't give up, sooner or later you will get it, 

Today I parried his attack in arcade twice and lost because i tried to rush it, he blocked and grabbed me, so I had to restart. Afer a couple tries I finally beat him. I did it without the "pause techinique", don't reccomend it unless you start using it from the very beginning, because if you switch from one technique to the other you will get your timings messed up, stick to just one, I suggest the normal way parrying the 22 attacks non stop. 

Good luck to everyone. 

Seems like I'm having the same struggle as you. Sometimes I get 1 parry... sometimes it's anywhere between 2-8, but just can't get it consistently. I feel like I'm not doing anything differently from the second button press to the eighth. It's just obnoxious that the timing is so strict to the millisecond. There's no need for it. A steady pace should suffice, especially since you also have to beat him without getting hit.

Did you still stick with the approach you mentioned of using Deathbringer's Centaur attack twice...? Am practicing in Practice Mode and find doing it once is a sure thing but twice is hit and miss. Sometimes it'll land, other times he'll block it and then it's pretty much game over.

2 hours ago, Cyvnyde said:

Seems like I'm having the same struggle as you. Sometimes I get 1 parry... sometimes it's anywhere between 2-8, but just can't get it consistently. I feel like I'm not doing anything differently from the second button press to the eighth. It's just obnoxious that the timing is so strict to the millisecond. There's no need for it. A steady pace should suffice, especially since you also have to beat him without getting hit.

Did you still stick with the approach you mentioned of using Deathbringer's Centaur attack twice...? Am practicing in Practice Mode and find doing it once is a sure thing but twice is hit and miss. Sometimes it'll land, other times he'll block it and then it's pretty much game over.

Hello, YES!I did it using Deathbringer with the method I said, I feel like this method is a no brainer,  if I had to do it again I would use this same strategy 100%, I suggest you to try it on arcade mode directly since the AI is kinda weird on practice mode, sometimes the character react different for some reason but trust me, most of the times (85% the times I'd say) you can safely land 2 hits, 3 hits it's extremerly risky, I never connected 4 hits. That being said I wouldn't recommend more than 2, if you want to gain confidence try doing it once at a time, you'll quickly notice that you can go for more than 1 hit most of the times, but if you feel unsure go one at a time, the only difference is that the battle will be longer and maybe he will use his super twice in the same round, trust me you don't want that to happen lol that's when you'll notice 2 hits is the way to go.

If you're still unsure about using DB, just as I said before, when you have to parry HIS centaur attack, just like in the video I shared, simply jump upright and parry (3 hits max IIRC), If you've seen this trophy with other characters you'll see that they use two parry timings, one timing for the front attack and a second timing for when his attack goes upwards, believe me when I say that learning just one timing for this attack is good for the mental because you just have to worry about his ultimate. This is one more reason I recommend using DB, plus his Centaur deal a lot of damage, no need to learn any combos. And a plus, you can get to the final match of arcade simply by spamming the Centaur Attack in a couple minutes.

And just remember that this trophy is a lot of trial and error and perseverance, don't give up, you'll get it eventually. 🙂 

I get what you say about ultimate parry, I felt the same way but just as you said the timing is very strict at the beginning I only managed to parry a couple hits but you'll progress. The hardest thing about this is to parry all the hits for the first time, once you do it you'll realize that you're capable of, you just need to replicate it, the night I got the trophy I parry the full combo and died two or three times, I managed to get it in my third or fourth I don't remember, just keep trying, and remember to use the app for the 212 bpm, just search on google. 

If you have any questions let me know. 

Edited by Gosaguro
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Gosaguro said:

Hello, YES!I did it using Deathbringer with the method I said, I feel like this method is a no brainer,  if I had to do it again I would use this same strategy 100%, I suggest you to try it on arcade mode directly since the AI is kinda weird on practice mode, sometimes the character react different for some reason but trust me, most of the times (85% the times I'd say) you can safely land 2 hits, 3 hits it's extremerly risky, I never connected 4 hits. That being said I wouldn't recommend more than 2, if you want to gain confidence try doing it once at a time, you'll quickly notice that you can go for more than 1 hit most of the times, but if you feel unsure go one at a time, the only difference is that the battle will be longer and maybe he will use his super twice in the same round, trust me you don't want that to happen lol that's when you'll notice 2 hits is the way to go.

If you're still unsure about using DB, just as I said before, when you have to parry HIS centaur attack, just like in the video I shared, simply jump upright and parry (3 hits max IIRC), If you've seen this trophy with other characters you'll see that they use two parry timings, one timing for the front attack and a second timing for when his attack goes upwards, believe me when I say that learning just one timing for this attack is good for the mental because you just have to worry about his ultimate. This is one more reason I recommend using DB, plus his Centaur deal a lot of damage, no need to learn any combos. And a plus, you can get to the final match of arcade simply by spamming the Centaur Attack in a couple minutes.

And just remember that this trophy is a lot of trial and error and perseverance, don't give up, you'll get it eventually. 🙂 

I get what you say about ultimate parry, I felt the same way but just as you said the timing is very strict at the beginning I only managed to parry a couple hits but you'll progress. The hardest thing about this is to parry all the hits for the first time, once you do it you'll realize that you're capable of, you just need to replicate it, the night I got the trophy I parry the full combo and died two or three times, I managed to get it in my third or fourth I don't remember, just keep trying, and remember to use the app for the 212 bpm, just search on google. 

If you have any questions let me know. 

Thanks for the tips. Very helpful. 

I've managed to start parrying him and have got the overall flow down... kinda. Had a few very close calls against him. I also suffered immense heartbreak. Had a perfect, parried his AF and went in with the final Centaur attack needed to kill him, but he blocked it and ended up with essentially no health left before he then struck me. Think the game just trolled me on a huge scale. Was like "yea, nah, don't think so!" 😑

EDIT: After about 6 hours of trying, I finally managed to get it. That sucked. That's the only way to describe it.

Edited by Cyvnyde
  • Like 1