Meso's Trophy Treehouse

Mesopithecus

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

December has been looking like my best trophy month for a long time!

:platinum: #233.  Saints Row: Gat out of Hell

L25afc0.png

This was so out of the norm from what I usually play - after promising a friend of mine I'd help them with the co-op trophy for about 8 months and calling off a handful of times, we finally managed to get time for this just before Christmas!  I feel like I got a huge head start on this, as they had already finished all of the content except for the 3 hour co-op trophy so they helped me massively by farming money and doing some of the challenges.  Initially I wasn't overly enthused about the game, especially getting used to the flying and unceremoniously falling into the lava several times, but once I did get the hang of it, it was actually pretty fun flying around.

The story is pretty short and a lot of the game is doing challenges, which is basically doing all the activities, getting kills with weapons and abilities etc.  It was actually alright to switch off and mindlessly farm, but I think it was the right length for a game like this - any longer and the tedium would have set in.  Now I've not played any of the main line Saints Row games to compare this to, but it has made me want to give them a try!  Always nice to step out of the comfort zone and find something relatively enjoyable :D

--------

I hope everyone reading this had a wonderful holiday season!  

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

:platinum: #238. Chicken Police

L1d3883.png

Do you like gritty cop-noir adventures that are filled with animal puns? If yes, then this is absolutely a game for you.  If no, then go play this anyway, because it is absolutely fantastic and it's almost criminal that so few people have played it.  At it's core, Chicken Police is a point and click adventure, that will take around 5-6 hours to complete if you don't skip text or scenes - which I suggest not skipping a thing because you'll only be missing out.  This game is atmospheric, funny, fantastic visuals, fantastic writing, amazing voice acting and a great soundtrack - definitely one of those indie gems that comes along and takes you by surprise.  It's on PSNow right now, so I urge everyone to go play it.

@gruffiiti Tagging you here as I know you said that this was on your radar ^_^ 

• Like 4

:platinum: #240. Tales of Arise

L692c81.png

The second Tales game I've played and this one is definitely much much easier than my first foray into the series (which was with Tales of Symphonia)  I enjoyed my time with it, the story was decent up to a certain point, the gameplay was fun and the grind wasn't horrible.  It looked good, it played good and I liked all of the characters.  I had intended on finishing this before Horizon Forbidden West came out but honestly, I'm glad I ended up breaking the game up a bit.  I think this took me 67 hours in total which is actually pretty short for a JRPG (and I'm sure some of that was also idle time)  I really want to make some time to work on the Tales series, as I own them all except for Xillia 2.

As for what's next?  I'm thinking a couple of shorter games, and then going back to Final Fantasy 7 Remake which I played for all of 33 minutes when I was loading up a bunch of games to kill my completion last year.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oops, not posted an update on this thread since starting my new job *checks notes* 8 weeks ago.  It's going well, I'm mostly too tired and busy with other things in the evening to play very much outside of doing my usual Genshin Impact daily content.  I feel like I've managed to get a decent number of plats though during the weekends, mostly from indie games (and quite a few with not so many game owners)

Below is just a brief write-up of the platinum's I've gotten over the past few weeks.

:platinum: #249. I Am Setsuna
I'd heard a lot of negativity about this game, mostly people saying it was boring, but you know....I kind of liked it.  The story reminded me of Final Fantasy X/Tales of Symphonia, and I liked that the battle system could be as simple or complex as you wanted it to be (depending on if you worked on getting specific fluxations on skills) I actually recently purchased Lost Sphear based on how much I enjoyed this.

:platinum: #250. Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising

This had mostly gone under my radar, but a few people posting about it in the RPG Mania thread made me pick it up.  It was decent fun, if not a bit repetitive toward the end - I really enjoyed the art style, and I'm looking forward to Hundred Heroes now which is meant to be out next year

:platinum: #251. Sakuna: of Rice and Ruin

I adored absolutely everything about this game, I loved the rice farming and the exploration/combat was so much fun.  It had been on my radar for a while and it just happened that Golden Week sale coincided with my first paycheck...so I grabbed this up ^_^

:platinum: #252. Creaks

I purchased this game on a whim, because it looked pretty interesting, and was from the makers of Machinarium.  It's really quite good!  It's an immersive puzzle platformer, where each screen has a puzzle to solve to get to the end. 

:platinum: #253. Sea of Solitude

I played this for Grave's mental health event, and whilst the story was pretty emotive and intriguing, I wasn't all that enamored by the gameplay.  Definitely prefer something like RIme to this.

:platinum: #254. Figment

So, I bought this game for $2.19 on a bundle, entirely on a whim because I thought the art design looked pretty cool.  If you haven't already, go check out Cass and Briste's checklists and their reviews for this....and then go buy this game as it's on sale again right now for $2

:platinum: #255. My Brother Rabbit

It had been quite a while since I played an Artifex Mundi game and this scratched that itch.  Nothing much to say really, it was pretty standard for an Artifex game

:platinum: #256. Lost Words: Beyond the Page

This game is an absolute gem, a platformer that is a mix of diary/journal pages and a fantasy story.  Overall, relatively simple but with a beautiful design and a heartbreaking story

:platinum: #257. Inspector Waffles

Only 92 owners, so was it worth it?  Kind of, yeah.  It's a point and click adventure game, and it makes a nod to Chicken Police with cameos from the characters.  The graphics are not really anything to write home about, but the story is actually decent

:platinum: #258. Beyond the Frame

Well...you can tell I've definitely been on a point and click binge.  This one is based all around art and was absolutely fine for what it is.  Probably recommend waiting for a sale though if you're interested in this one

:platinum: 259. Choice of Life: Middle Ages

Impulse buy to help beat an opponent in trophy hunters league, it was actually alright for $5.  Basically a choice and consequence game where you progress through different roles.  What was great is that you can jump easily to any of the previous roles to pick different decisions for the titles in the game.

:platinum: 260. Wytchwood

Another one of my new favorites, with less than 100 game owners.  Wytchwood is all about gathering and crafting whilst telling a brilliant story based on gothic fables and fairytales 

--------

OK, so that quickly summarizes everything I've played the past weeks ^_^  I've also bought way too many games recently so my backlog is a bit um...out of control, and it's probably going to only get worse with the new PS+ service going live.  

Editing to add:  I also finished up the new Bugsnax DLC (which I loved!) and finally got around do doing the Conan Exiles DLC thinking I'd be getting my incomplete games down....and then Horizon added DLC, not sure when I'll get around to that

Edited by Mesopithecus
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

You've been on an absolute tear lately with these Meso! Congrats!

I really enjoyed reading these too... I won't comment on every single one or I'd be here all night. xD It also gave me a good idea of a few to potentially avoid that might have had half an eye on xD

10 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

:platinum: #261: VA11-Hall-A

I'm so glad that you enjoyed this one too! This game really deserves every bit of love that comes its way, it was one of my most favourite games that I played last year. It's funny actually, you and I have exactly the same complaint about it, and that's that damn arcade game.

Why did that need to be there at all, it's only barely relevant to anything that ever gets discussed in the game. I don't want to call it a difficulty spike, but for a game that is so chilled out to then require something that required extreme concentration (or it did for me ?) really baffled me! Other than that, yes I really loved that game, so as I said super happy to read you had a mostly good time with it too.

One of my friends was playing a game that also had Jill from this in it recently, so I'll have to ask him what it was, and I'll see if it's something that might interest you too.

16 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

:platinum: #263. Merrily Perrily - 90 game owners

That's a real shame that this one turned out to be a real dud for you. It sounds good on paper, but it doesn't look like it actually does anything much with that potential. When you first started describing it I was sort of imagining those long winded quest chains you get in RPG's where you give someone an item, they give you a different one which then you have to give someone else, so on and so forth. I think that wouldn't be a terrible concept for a game. Unfortunately Merrily Perrily just sounds like a nuisance instead of something that could have been a great time!

19 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

:platinum: #267. Hidden Shapes: Animals + Lovely Cats - 422 game owners

I was just looking at this very recently, as something that I really liked the look of. It does seem like the perfect thing to just relax and have a nice peaceful time with. I believe it might still be on sale, so I might have to go and pick it up, thanks for highlighting this one! I suspect I'll be thanking you again in the near future for it! 

I would have recommended you play the Glass Masquerade games, but you already have so I don't need to ?

22 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

Thanks to anyone who bothers to read my thoughts on stuff, even though my checklist doesn't see much traffic, it's pretty nice to write my thoughts down.

Well it absolutely deserves to get some! I'm glad you're still having fun writing your thoughts down, that's great to read (I hope that doesn't sound really patronising like it did when I read that back). People should be reading at this awesome place of yours! Who doesn't like reading about awesome games that they might have had no idea of otherwise.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I'm so glad that you enjoyed this one too! This game really deserves every bit of love that comes its way, it was one of my most favourite games that I played last year. It's funny actually, you and I have exactly the same complaint about it, and that's that damn arcade game.

I'm almost 100% certain you were one of the people who recommended VA11-Hall-A to me, so I definitely appreciate that.  I bought Coffee Talk recently too as I believe that has a similar vibe.

21 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I was just looking at this very recently, as something that I really liked the look of. It does seem like the perfect thing to just relax and have a nice peaceful time with. I believe it might still be on sale, so I might have to go and pick it up, thanks for highlighting this one! I suspect I'll be thanking you again in the near future for it! 

I would have recommended you play the Glass Masquerade games, but you already have so I don't need to 1f602.png

I think even not on sale, it's only like $3.99 so not bad at all.  Definitely play with sound as the ambient noise is very relaxing, especially for the animals part.

I loved the Glass Masquerade games, also very relaxing ^_^  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

'm almost 100% certain you were one of the people who recommended VA11-Hall-A to me, so I definitely appreciate that.  I bought Coffee Talk recently too as I believe that has a similar vibe.

Quite possibly!? Haha, I did go a bit mad recommending that to people, and still will, because I think as many people as possible should get to experience it. I'm looking forward to reading what you've got to say about Coffee Talk actually, I'd heard it was a similar vibe too, but for some reason I haven't quite picked that one up yet! I'm sure I will do though.

21 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

I think even not on sale, it's only like $3.99 so not bad at all.  Definitely play with sound as the ambient noise is very relaxing, especially for the animals part.

I loved the Glass Masquerade games, also very relaxing ^_^  

That's a great price, I'll probably head to the store in a bit and pick it up! Thanks for the heads up! I appreciate the tip about the sound as well, I can definitely get on board with some calming ambient sound in puzzle games.

They were really good those Glass Masquerade games, weren't they. I quite liked the shift between the first and the second game, especially the fact that in the second one the pieces weren't rotated into their default positions, so it feels like a much truer sort of "Jigsaw" experience.

• Like 1

And I'm back again, this time with a game that only has 72 owners....

:platinum: #269. Minute of Islands

L093ba2.png

I will admit, this game was purely an impulse buy on one of the most recent sales as I loved the look of the art style....and I can confirm that is truly the highlight of the game.  It reminded me of something akin to Adventure Time meets Spiritfarer.  I will say, I did enjoy this game but it felt really really slow due to being heavy on the narrative to the point where you would take a few steps and everything would stop whilst you heard a bit more of the story.  The story itself was actually pretty good but definitely very heavy, there is even a warning at the start of the game about how the story explores trauma and other triggering themes.  The gameplay itself is very simple, a mix of plat-forming and some simple puzzles - there are some missables in the game but unless you're just steaming through and not exploring, I think they would be very hard to miss.  

• Like 3