Still holds up as a great game but just needs a handful of QOL improvements.

SimmondsR

• Allowing the Player to press a button to shift to the next manuscript page rather than backing out and going into the next one in the menu. It only takes like 1.5 seconds to back out of the page but x106 pages, that's a fair chunk of time. Just would be cool to go through the manuscript in order to hear it in full once collected.
  • Would it have killed them to add a tracker per chapter for the collectibles?! Having 298 collectibles in total (excluding DLC) is already pretty annoying but the fact that I found 89 thermoses naturally but I have no idea which 11 I missed is immensely infuriating because I now have to re-check every spot. Having this feature alone would have been amazing.
  • You can re-listen to the Radio segments but can't rewatch the Night Springs episodes via the Main Menu Extras?! That's pretty lame especially as a couple of episodes I couldn't hear too well because the music was too loud to hear the Night Springs audio too well.

A lot of remasters are just touch ups with no behind the scene changes. Generally even simple UI changes could mess up the stability of a game or cause issues unlocking certain items. I assume the original plan outline was a simple remaster for modern consoles no new UI such as internal trackers or menu updates. Bare bones port (with light toouch ups like face models) that gives the fans what they want, the ability to play Alan Wake on modern consoles.

The PS5 internal tracker seen on other titles should have been added to the PS5 version but I'm not 100% sure why it wasn't here. I know that the DLC the Writer had an internal tracker but again that was specific to that DLC.

- Been a while since I played the Xbox 360 version I must admit but the cut-scenes were jittery as fuck on PS5 like they were 15fps. I'm not sure if this is just more apparent with better graphics and TVs nowadays and they literally just ported over the cutscenes without touching them or if they just fucked up the port.

I'm not 100% sure on this. I though it looked fine =/

- Like many people have said it would have been cool to have American Nightmare bundled with the game too not even from a money perspective but just so it can have a bit more exposure and so that I could actually play it. But it's possible there was some sort of licensing issues that caused problems or maybe Remedy/Epic didn't feel that it was necessary/worth their time. Who knows...would have been cool tho. At least the DLC for Alan Wake came free.

Ha as an Alan Wake fan I have to disagree. I thought that American Nightmare was a good try to expand the Alan Wake lore but I'll be honest I'm super glad it was not included. I remember on the 360 I couldn't complete it fully because the gameplay was so bad and uninteresting. I fully expect the game to be on the cards for a remaster in future tho.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, wardragon989 said:

A lot of remasters are just touch ups with no behind the scene changes. Generally even simple UI changes could mess up the stability of a game or cause issues unlocking certain items. I assume the original plan outline was a simple remaster for modern consoles no new UI such as internal trackers or menu updates. Bare bones port (with light toouch ups like face models) that gives the fans what they want, the ability to play Alan Wake on modern consoles.

The PS5 internal tracker seen on other titles should have been added to the PS5 version but I'm not 100% sure why it wasn't here. I know that the DLC the Writer had an internal tracker but again that was specific to that DLC.

Yeah, I can understand that. I guess the potential of the highs risks were not worth it and to be fair a lot of them are purely for Achievement/Trophy purposes anyways which is most likely a really small percentage of people when you consider the entirety of everyone who plays this game. Still would have been real nice especially seeing as when this game was tested I would have thought the devs/port team would have a debug menu to display stats for collectibles in each chapter for testing purposes to make sure they're all there. But then it's possible being a port of the game, maybe not. 

Looks like I'm gonna have to check every location :( At least the game isn't that long or too big.

Ha as an Alan Wake fan I have to disagree. I thought that American Nightmare was a good try to expand the Alan Wake lore but I'll be honest I'm super glad it was not included. I remember on the 360 I couldn't complete it fully because the gameplay was so bad and uninteresting. I fully expect the game to be on the cards for a remaster in future tho.

Really? That's a shame. I remember playing the demo a long time ago and although it didn't hold a candle to Alan Wake I thought it was a nifty little arcade attachment but then I did only play the demo. I mean if it was that bad then it would have been better to be included with the Remaster rather than running a separate purchase, could have been a nice little unlock for collecting 100 thermoses but then your first point stands on this one.

i dispise this tryhard shit. surviving an encounter is like starting a new fucking job. every gun is shit, moving is too slow, every enemy is 3 times faster. and im still on normal. I fucking hate this game. the torch may aswel be a lazer pen. I spend more time staring at the patterns in my carpet then figuring out to survive a constant stream of heavies in a fucking box with 2 flares to my name. because the game decided to take all my inventory from me for the 18th time.

my bad, just keep continuously forgetting to slam on the high beam when im reloading.  not a bad game at all i just suck at it lol. nightmare will thin me out i bet.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just finished my first run through the game and DLC. Amazing game, pretty unique experience. I thoroughly enjoyed playing this game, however I played on easy and died a handful of times. I don’t know how I’d manage on nightmare lol. I didn’t use a guide but managed to find around 85 thermos and 90+ pages. So I’d have to play again possibly twice and find all the signs which I forgot to look for lol. 
With that said I won’t be going for the platinum, but I will play this again soon but on the PS4 version. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FocusDR said:

I’ve just finished my first run through the game and DLC. Amazing game, pretty unique experience. I thoroughly enjoyed playing this game, however I played on easy and died a handful of times. I don’t know how I’d manage on nightmare lol. I didn’t use a guide but managed to find around 85 thermos and 90+ pages. So I’d have to play again possibly twice and find all the signs which I forgot to look for lol. 
With that said I won’t be going for the platinum, but I will play this again soon but on the PS4 version. 

Oh, it's absolutely a great game, it's was a blast to play through again.

Honestly, I guess it depends on your playstyle and if you play stuff like Resident Evil but the Nightmare playthrough is incredibly easy depending on your playstyle. The best advice I can give is just to run checkpoint to checkpoint and whilst running away from enemies just do little flashlight focus taps on the Taken to stun them and run some more. Always save maybe 3 flares if you get cornered or low health. Plus side to this too is that because you spend more time running you save more ammo, flashbangs and flares etc.. for bosses and possessed objects.

Yeah, funny enough the collectibles I missed the first time around were usually ones that were directly in front of my face haha.

Am I the only one that just cannot wrap my brain around some button mapping here? 

L1 to sprint is such a weird choice. I know there is alternative control mode, but it changes reloading gun and batteries at L1-R1. I wish there was option to remap buttons completely. It may be just me being shit at the game, I just much prefer face buttons for such quick movements. There were times where I wanted to sprint or dodge and my finger would slip off the L1. I wish I could L3 sprint and dodge with a circle or something.

I am probably just turning into a boomer at 30, learning new controls and mechanics every game tires me, can't everyone just chill and agree on some fundamentals? :D Come on companies, you got L2 for aim and R2 for shoot down! 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 1:07 AM, Forunth said:

Am I the only one that just cannot wrap my brain around some button mapping here? 

L1 to sprint is such a weird choice. I know there is alternative control mode, but it changes reloading gun and batteries at L1-R1. I wish there was option to remap buttons completely. It may be just me being shit at the game, I just much prefer face buttons for such quick movements. There were times where I wanted to sprint or dodge and my finger would slip off the L1. I wish I could L3 sprint and dodge with a circle or something.

Similar experience from my side, this was my first playthrough of AW never played it before. After beating the game on Hard the dodging is still iffy to me and I've just come from playing KENA BOS which has another similar problems of off-screen ranged enemies tagging you every once in a while and a horrible hold-L1-to-shield mechanic.

Just pressing L1 for dodging would be preferable, and some sort of indicator if you got a hammer flying your way from 7 o'clock where an enemy just spawned off-screen. I also tend to hold down L2 to 'aim' but with further gameplay I stopped waisting my batteries.

Movement in general in AW is a bit odd but not gamebreaking. Good game overall.

On 10/22/2021 at 0:07 AM, Forunth said:

I am probably just turning into a boomer at 30, learning new controls and mechanics every game tires me, can't everyone just chill and agree on some fundamentals? :D Come on companies, you got L2 for aim and R2 for shoot down! 

L1 is the best sprint, because it allows you to strafe, turn and aim with the right stick, with precision whilst sprinting. the idea is that you backrun in the game. face enemies, walk backwards, flick high beam in their faces and then sprint backwards or into the camera away from them, keep luring them to the next checkpoint which despawns them all.

also for ps4 and ps5 in settings, accessability, controller you can remap any button anywhere if you wish.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

On 27.10.2021 at 1:36 PM, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

L1 is the best sprint, because it allows you to strafe, turn and aim with the right stick, with precision whilst sprinting. the idea is that you backrun in the game. face enemies, walk backwards, flick high beam in their faces and then sprint backwards or into the camera away from them, keep luring them to the next checkpoint which despawns them all.

also for ps4 and ps5 in settings, accessability, controller you can remap any button anywhere if you wish.

This doesn't really quite help. Why would I remap whole controller and get confused when I play different game especially during QTE? "Oh it shows to press circle but I remapped the circle uh, what was it again?"  Remapping in PS options won't change what shows up on screen. 

Yes I am aware about how the game works, which doesn't change that I am not a fan of "keep pressing to sprint" mechanics. I much more prefer when games use L3, one click and character is set to sprint, doesn't matter which direction.