Completed after 7 years-My Thoughts

TristanBrown17

On 17-11-2021 at 5:47 AM, TristanBrown17 said:

Finally decided to come back to this fast-paced, arcade-inspired game that was once a part of the PS+ collection. What I can say is that this game is both harder and easier than I had remembered. For those that want to take on this game and finish it, I have a few tips from my time playing...

• Keeping your combo high and fever mode going is crucial. Especially with the 2,000,000 point run on the Main grid, you need to be able to complete each level without running into your chain of ducks or hitting any spikes. Don't worry about grinding up your score against a wall, but rather play through normally and work on extending the streak as far as you can go. Zigzag patterns are your friend and watch other players videos to figure out the best path. 
  • Dessert mode is the exception. Grind up your combo meter to Fever Mode! and go get those skeletons in the first few levels. There is a video on youtube that someone uploaded with shareplay that shows a great 3-walled spot for upgrading your combo about 5 levels in. 
  • Don't waste the brain power on the puzzle modes. Pull up a guide on the Lab levels and go to town. I don't know if I could figure these out on my own, nor would I want to work through all 100 puzzles with up to 30 moves for a given puzzle
  • Finally, Nostalgia mode. I didn't find it that difficult personally. The biggest thing is you need to dart your eyes around on the multi-character levels and find the best paths on the speed levels. It will take some patient and a good few attempts, but luckily there are only 70 stages and a lot can be done in only a couple tries or less. 

Best of luck to all who take this game on!

Interesting read and congrats on the 100%.

I’m getting back to the game myself soon too so I got two questions.

Every video I watched for the 2 million score on the main grid uses wall grinding so I’m a bit curious: What was your final score and did you ever break from fever time?

I also have a hard time using zigzag patterns. Did you play this game using the analog stick or the D-pad? 

Thanks.

Hey there @Baker

Appreciate the congratulations. 

So I didn't use wall-grinding. I just focused on getting through those initial levels as fast as I could so that I could take my time and slow myself on the walls occasionally. I mean to take a recording of myself completing the score on both Main and Dessert, but messed up my settings unfortunately. I did break from fever time, but it was near the end of the run and I was able to quickly get it back! For a run of a more reasonable caliber, I recommend watching the runs that narrowly break 2 mil. 

I used D-pad because I couldn't get used to using the Analog stick for this game. It's personal preference for sure, but I found that I was more accurate with D-pad. You get used to rolling your finger up and over on the D-pad to create the Zig-Zag patterns (hopefully that makes sense). 

Best of luck bud!

• Like 2

Congrats. I used the PS button exploit (press it for the game to minimize while still able to see the game screen so I could decide which direction to go) to keep my combo at a very fast speed on later levels. 

I'd like to do the PS4 version but first I'll practice on a testing account to see how much points I can get.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 9:12 PM, Baker said:

Interesting read and congrats on the 100%.

I’m getting back to the game myself soon too so I got two questions.

Every video I watched for the 2 million score on the main grid uses wall grinding so I’m a bit curious: What was your final score and did you ever break from fever time?

I also have a hard time using zigzag patterns. Did you play this game using the analog stick or the D-pad? 

Thanks.

U don't really need zigzag here was my run not the best but basically if u get fever mode never loose it u get 2million,  I had higher scores but I just re-do for a video...I enjoy hunting ultra rare tropies ..have lots ..but this is definitely one of the hardest as in top 3 hardest I've gotten ?

I also made several mistakes .... wasting time and still got 2million just keep fever

Edited by Spookyentertainm
Just a little more information
  • Like 2

@Spookyentertainm 

Thanks. Very helpful video.

I feel you need to hit fever time by the time you get to the first big room at 1.38. I see you wall grinded a bit earlier on and skipped the two ghosts down below. I always wonder if it’s even worth it to grab them or just continue to have more time.

Downloaded the game again yesterday so I’ll give it some attempts soon.

Edited by Baker
  • Like 1

I saw this thread and remembered I was one trophy short of 100% (creme de la creme). Saw even from a fresh save to get back to trying that trophy wasn't much effort so why not.

Installed, booted up, played first board and ding... Perfectamundo. So turns out I'd played the Vita version and didn't realise they had separate lists. Joy. Back through it all again it is then.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, after an evening of practice I’m starting to get better at the main grid. Unfortunately I’m not even close to 2M. My current high score is around 1.6M, and it’s for one reason: I’m too slow.

And I don’t understand this at all. I watched many different video’s but it seems they’re all much faster than me. I usually hit Fever Time during room 9, without wall grinding, and I can keep it quite easily until room 22. Which is for me the hardest room and it’s where my runs end most of the time. 

Not that it matters because I get there with around 45-50 seconds left. When every video I watched, even ones with a couple of mistakes, have around 65-75 seconds left. So I’m 20-30 seconds too slow and there is just not enough time to reach 20M in the upcoming easier rooms. I’m not sure how I can be that much slower as it seems I’m making less mistakes than some video’s I watched. 

Any idea’s?

Also the controls are terrible in this game. I didn’t notice it while playing casually but that damn cat seems to have a will of his own sometimes. ?

Edited by Baker

13 hours ago, Baker said:

Alright, after an evening of practice I’m starting to get better at the main grid. Unfortunately I’m not even close to 20M. My current high score is around 16M, and it’s for one reason: I’m too slow.

And I don’t understand this at all. I watched many different video’s but it seems they’re all much faster than me. I usually hit Fever Time during room 9, without wall grinding, and I can keep it quite easily until room 22. Which is for me the hardest room and it’s where my runs end most of the time. 

Not that it matters because I get there with around 45-50 seconds left. When every video I watched, even ones with a couple of mistakes, have around 65-75 seconds left. So I’m 20-30 seconds too slow and there is just not enough time to reach 20M in the upcoming easier rooms. I’m not sure how I can be that much slower as it seems I’m making less mistakes than some video’s I watched. 

Any idea’s?

Also the controls are terrible in this game. I didn’t notice it while playing casually but that damn cat seems to have a will of his own sometimes. 1f602.png

If u are not loosing fever u should get this no problem, video I posted purposely to show how many mistakes I made and still hit the 2mill, u should have fever around same room as I did most people do in their videos, if you don't by then just restart and wall grind for about 6-7 secs before u get there, if u loose fever just restart its almost impossible for 2mill with out full fever run from that point. I'm not by any means saying this is easy but if u are only getting 1.6mill and keeping fever whole time yes u need keep practicing your moving to slow...as far as controls, they aren't bad just different looks like pacman but it's not same lol. .....for example if your on a wall and u press right its going to go right when u clear that wall even though ur no longer pressing right if that makes sense?

Just a little more information

1 hour ago, Spookyentertainm said:

If u are not loosing fever u should get this no problem, video I posted purposely to show how many mistakes I made and still hit the 2mill, u should have fever around same room as I did most people do in their videos, if you don't by then just restart and wall grind for about 6-7 secs before u get there, if u loose fever just restart its almost impossible for 2mill with out full fever run from that point. I'm not by any means saying this is easy but if u are only getting 1.6mill and keeping fever whole time yes u need keep practicing your moving to slow...as far as controls, they aren't bad just different looks like pacman but it's not same lol. .....for example if your on a wall and u press right its going to go right when u clear that wall even though ur no longer pressing right if that makes sense?

Thanks.

I found a few rooms I could do faster. I sometimes went for an easy route to pick up the eggs costing me some seconds but I guess I can’t do that anymore.

The 1.6M I had was when I hit a mine in room 22 and then I gave up. If I didn’t make any mistake there I would end up in the 1.8M range I think. My highscore is now 1.7M when the exact same thing happened. I hit a mine in room 22, and gave up. But I definitely had more time left this time. So I’m getting faster.

4 hours ago, Baker said:

Thanks.

I found a few rooms I could do faster. I sometimes went for an easy route to pick up the eggs costing me some seconds but I guess I can’t do that anymore.

The 1.6M I had was when I hit a mine in room 22 and then I gave up. If I didn’t make any mistake there I would end up in the 1.8M range I think. My highscore is now 1.7M when the exact same thing happened. I hit a mine in room 22, and gave up. But I definitely had more time left this time. So I’m getting faster.

That's good same here I just kept getting closer got 1.9 couple times before I finally nailed it, then I booted up my vita and finished it on there first try for that one and the other trophy (how did you do that) I made a video for that one too much easier u can basically mess up all through that 1 also and still get 1.5mill I think the way I ran it is the easiest way compared to other runs if u just want the trophy lol  ?  go back for skulls

https://youtu.be/8OFUJb20lYE

7 hours ago, Spookyentertainm said:

That's good same here I just kept getting closer got 1.9 couple times before I finally nailed it, then I booted up my vita and finished it on there first try for that one and the other trophy (how did you do that) I made a video for that one too much easier u can basically mess up all through that 1 also and still get 1.5mill I think the way I ran it is the easiest way compared to other runs if u just want the trophy lol  1f447.png  go back for skulls

https://youtu.be/8OFUJb20lYE

Yeah I’m not worried at all about the other trophy for 1.5M. When I played the game for the last time 3 months ago I got a 1.3M run were I almost screwed up every room. ? I did know about the wall grinding and getting Fever Time early and backtracked and grabbed all the ghosts. 

But I haven’t played the Desert Grid since. I want to get the Main Grid out of the way first.

Thanks for the video though. It’s always a good thing to watch multiple video’s as the rooms can change ofcourse. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2021 at 10:47 PM, TristanBrown17 said:

Finally decided to come back to this fast-paced, arcade-inspired game that was once a part of the PS+ collection. What I can say is that this game is both harder and easier than I had remembered. For those that want to take on this game and finish it, I have a few tips from my time playing...

• Keeping your combo high and fever mode going is crucial. Especially with the 2,000,000 point run on the Main grid, you need to be able to complete each level without running into your chain of ducks or hitting any spikes. Don't worry about grinding up your score against a wall, but rather play through normally and work on extending the streak as far as you can go. Zigzag patterns are your friend and watch other players videos to figure out the best path. 
  • Dessert mode is the exception. Grind up your combo meter to Fever Mode! and go get those skeletons in the first few levels. There is a video on youtube that someone uploaded with shareplay that shows a great 3-walled spot for upgrading your combo about 5 levels in. 
  • Don't waste the brain power on the puzzle modes. Pull up a guide on the Lab levels and go to town. I don't know if I could figure these out on my own, nor would I want to work through all 100 puzzles with up to 30 moves for a given puzzle
  • Finally, Nostalgia mode. I didn't find it that difficult personally. The biggest thing is you need to dart your eyes around on the multi-character levels and find the best paths on the speed levels. It will take some patient and a good few attempts, but luckily there are only 70 stages and a lot can be done in only a couple tries or less. 

Best of luck to all who take this game on!

A lot of similitudes with you, I had it 100% on vita but creme de la creme and how did you do that trophies for me were too difficult with the ps4 controller. it always bothered me to have 100% on vita and only 80% in PS4, so i decided to give it a try again and lo and behold. I did it pretty easily compared to what I remembered. it is a great game!

6 hours ago, Gotcho said:

A lot of similitudes with you, I had it 100% on vita but creme de la creme and how did you do that trophies for me were too difficult with the ps4 controller. it always bothered me to have 100% on vita and only 80% in PS4, so i decided to give it a try again and lo and behold. I did it pretty easily compared to what I remembered. it is a great game!

Congrats! It's a great game to finish. Especially with you having done it before I doubt I was much help, but I haven't played enough Vita stuff to be able to do games like this just yet with those joysticks. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ich1994-1994 said:

Can someone maybe explain to me what exactly happens when I go into a target before havin collected all the ducks? The eggs crack but I am not sure what that tries to tell me. Especially because there are some levels were I feel like I cannot avoid it to happen

It breaks your combo. (The big combo meter at the top of the screen) So you will lose some speed and get less points.

On 2/10/2022 at 11:46 PM, TristanBrown17 said:

Congrats! It's a great game to finish. Especially with you having done it before I doubt I was much help, but I haven't played enough Vita stuff to be able to do games like this just yet with those joysticks. 

Thank you,like you say, a very satisfying game to finish, and for me what I remembered with the vita version is that the response was faster and more exact with the little joysticks against the ones in the ps4 controller, so I did it 7 years ago but gave up with the ps4 version until last week, I think that playing both versions at the same time made it more difficult in PS4 because muscle memory or something..but congrats to you too for finishing this awesome game.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 9:22 AM, Ich1994-1994 said:

So in some levels do I just have to accept that my combo breaks? 

edit: I can pass a target safely before collecting the first duck. Oh god that took embarrassing long

Not great about checking the forums. But I'm glad you figured it out! I used some videos on youtube of people getting WR scores to learn some of the strategies for the more complex "levels"

13 hours ago, TristanBrown17 said:

Not great about checking the forums. But I'm glad you figured it out! I used some videos on youtube of people getting WR scores to learn some of the strategies for the more complex "levels"

Until now I only played the switch version and I also watched some videos and it seems like some levels are a bit different. Not surewhy that is.

7 hours ago, Ich1994-1994 said:

Until now I only played the switch version and I also watched some videos and it seems like some levels are a bit different. Not surewhy that is.

It could be different. I'm not familiar with cross-platform similarities. I do know that if people are doing the daily board versus the main board versus the dessert board they are different setups, so that could be something to look out for as well!

• 3 months later...
On 30-12-2021 at 1:37 AM, Baker said:

Alright, after an evening of practice I’m starting to get better at the main grid. Unfortunately I’m not even close to 2M. My current high score is around 1.6M, and it’s for one reason: I’m too slow.

Any idea’s?

Also the controls are terrible in this game. I didn’t notice it while playing casually but that damn cat seems to have a will of his own sometimes. ?

I’ll just quote myself here because now I understand what has been the issue for me 6 months ago.

This game felt impossible to me back then and the answer is that it was just my old tv. The fact this game didn’t run smooth costs so much time that even when I was flawless I would have never made it. I highly doubt scoring 2M is even possible when playing under those conditions.

Now Pix is just faster, controls are easier and I have no problem getting to the final rooms with loads of time left even if I screw up here and there..

So today within 5 attempts I broke 1.8M. Unfortunately I screwed up in the big room close to the end because my nerves got the better of me.

Let’s get this done!

Edited by Baker

5 hours ago, Baker said:

I’ll just quote myself here because now I understand what has been the issue for me 6 months ago.

This game felt impossible to me back then and the answer is that it was just my old tv. The fact this game didn’t run smooth costs so much time that even when I was flawless I would be so much behind I highly doubt this game is even possible when playing under those conditions.

Now Pix is just faster, controls are easier and I have no problem getting to the final rooms with loads of time left even if I screw up here and there..

So today within 5 attempts I broke 1.8M. Unfortunately I screwed up in the big room close to the end because my nerves got the better of me.

Let’s get this done!

There he goes I was wondering if u was ever gonna get back to it lol ......yes that big room is the final test because the room after it if it's the room I'm thinking is where the 2 mill pops every time most of the time for me atleast (small room with one little skeleton running around 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spookyentertainm said:

There he goes I was wondering if u was ever gonna get back to it lol ......yes that big room is the final test because the room after it if it's the room I'm thinking is where the 2 mill pops every time most of the time for me atleast (small room with one little skeleton running around 

Lol. That small room (26) is where I messed up twice now. Instead of clearing the room I hit the mine. Twice. ? I would have made it if that didn’t happen. My highscore is now 1.94M. I’ll try again tonight.

Edit: Alright. Got it. Screwed up in the exact same room again. ? Luckily I already had the 2M at that point.

Edited by Baker
  • Like 4