Debate on Call of Duty DLCs

MennoWoods2

So I came across this video and I wondered what everybody else thinks about this new way in which Call of Duty now releases DLC and the future of for example Call of Duty: Vanguard.

Personally, I was a bit disappointed with the zombies mode in Call of Duty this year as it seems that not much effort was put into it because it recycles some older maps and that there is not any Easter egg of sorts. This made me kind of think about this new model that Call of Duty seems to adapt with regards to their DLC and micro-transaction models. 

I find it really nice that we now have DLC for free but I also have this feeling that now the DLCs are becoming relatively of lower quality since they are free and the developers are less forced to make something really good because we are not paying for it. I wonder what they will do with Vanguard since this year's zombies was kind of disappointing and if they will improve it.

I hope they will return to the quality of DLC from previous installments but then again those DLCs are pretty expensive.

What do you guys think about this?

Here is the video: 

Edited by MennoWoods2
  • Like 2

Activision are just lazy and have been for years when it comes to COD so the DLCs being free is pretty irrelevant when it comes to their quality, because there are plenty of games out there with decent free DLCs and more still that have free content that is utter rubbish.

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.
  • Like 1

Talking strictly zombie dlc and not the multiplayer maps, I think the Cold War free dlc maps were great excluding firebase Z personally. I like the objective based zombies like outbreak a lot so I didn’t mind der anfang. I see your/their point though because Vanguard zombies was undoubtedly a last second addition, probably due to sequel of MW2019 getting delayed an extra year so treyarc probably didn’t have a lot of time to do much. I think in the next game that treyarc makes they’ll put an extreme amount of effort, which is sad because they probably won’t do much for vanguard zombies other than add a pause button finally lol 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Activision are just lazy and have been for years when it comes to COD so the DLCs being free is pretty irrelevant when it comes to their quality, because there are plenty of games out there with decent free DLCs and more still that have free content that is utter rubbish.

I agree with you because it also seems like now they get money from things like the battle pass and skins, the DLC are becoming an after thought. And there are definitely games that use free DLC in a better way.

5 minutes ago, ArabianSwordsman said:

Talking strictly zombie dlc and not the multiplayer maps, I think the Cold War free dlc maps were great excluding firebase Z personally. I like the objective based zombies like outbreak a lot so I didn’t mind der anfang. I see your/their point though because Vanguard zombies was undoubtedly a last second addition, probably due to sequel of MW2019 getting delayed an extra year so treyarc probably didn’t have a lot of time to do much. I think in the next game that treyarc makes they’ll put an extreme amount of effort, which is sad because they probably won’t do much for vanguard zombies other than add a pause button finally lol 

I also found the Cold War DLC pretty good but yeah it was definitely a bit different from the 'normal' zombie maps. I also have the feeling that they are not going to put much effort into Vanguard since people already do not seem to like it (including me). I also hope that this means that Treyarc are going to put in their best effort to make a somewhat good and memorable zombies map?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

Treyarch made CoD's are the only ones that have good zombies anyways. If it's bad in Vanguard, that's why. Nothing more.

Yeah true Treyarc maps are often the most fun. I also found the Infinite Warfare one to pretty good because it build upon the formula created by Treyarc and Infinity Ward added like their own creativity to it. 

2 hours ago, ACowboy848 said:

I hope there will be no DLC for COD Vanguard because this game is just a disappointing game so far no DLC will make it a good game again.

Yeah if it is the same as this I am also good.?

The best model for multiplayer downloadable content is in my opinion paid plus free access with restrictions. One example for this model would be Earth defense force iron rain only if you pay for the dlc you can host games with the dlc packs and unlock weapons but everyone who did not purchase for the dlc packs can join your game and play on the maps. Need for Speed the Run did the same with the Italian expansion except everyone can start a match and play but not unlock any of the additional cars unless you purchase the dlc content. This helps keeping the multiplayer modes for this dlc alive as they tend to die out pretty quick

I have seen this model in other games with for example reduced Image quality for free users and other kind of restrictions

• Like 1

21 hours ago, athanasios_osfp said:

The zombies mode in Vanguard is developed by Treyarch, so they are responsible for all the mess in the mode. 

I did not even know it was developed by Treyarc. ? Now I have the feeling that Vanguard zombies was more a leftover of the Outbreak mode in Cold War. 

20 hours ago, Dreamcast12 said:

The best model for multiplayer downloadable content is in my opinion paid plus free access with restrictions. One example for this model would be Earth defense force iron rain only if you pay for the dlc you can host games with the dlc packs and unlock weapons but everyone who did not purchase for the dlc packs can join your game and play on the maps. Need for Speed the Run did the same with the Italian expansion except everyone can start a match and play but not unlock any of the additional cars unless you purchase the dlc content. This helps keeping the multiplayer modes for this dlc alive as they tend to die out pretty quick

I have seen this model in other games with for example reduced Image quality for free users and other kind of restrictions

Yes, I agree with you that especially multiplayer DLC should just be free because many of these new maps become almost unplayable a year after launch since nobody is playing them anymore. I had this problem a lot when going for the trophies in for example Battlefield. That is why I also find it nice that these multiplayer maps have at least become free but for the zombies mode in Call of Duty it does not really matter for me since I play most of these DLC with a set group of friends and not really with randoms online and I think a lot of people do that when they are going for Easter eggs. It is definitely a shame that some content becomes almost unplayable because it dies out pretty quick. ?

Edited by MennoWoods2
  • Like 1