Forgotten One Boss Battle

Ivotas

Hey guys, I really need help with this one. For the past two days I cannot get past this guy and I'm fighting on normal difficulty. I'm at the 5th stage where his head is now exposed and he's faster than before. Basically I have only one question. How should I attack him? Most of my attacks simply miss the guys head. Sometimes it does connect and it doesn't make a difference wether it's a jump or double jump. Sometimes the Guillotine connects sometimes a regular square strike. It's hard enough to stay alive and get close to him but my biggest problem is actually damaging him in those brief time windows. So any recommended attack pattern would help a lot. Thanks in advance.

34 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

Hey guys, I really need help with this one. For the past two days I cannot get past this guy and I'm fighting on normal difficulty. I'm at the 5th stage where his head is now exposed and he's faster than before. Basically I have only one question. How should I attack him? Most of my attacks simply miss the guys head. Sometimes it does connect and it doesn't make a difference wether it's a jump or double jump. Sometimes the Guillotine connects sometimes a regular square strike. It's hard enough to stay alive and get close to him but my biggest problem is actually damaging him in those brief time windows. So any recommended attack pattern would help a lot. Thanks in advance.

I don't mean to sound rude or mean but prayers and persistence is about all I can recommend but it's been afew years since I beat him and honestly it's probably the hardest boss I've played I won by less than inches but good luck 

The other advice dodge him hit him repeat till dead he's a hard boss and I think I had to beat him on hardest setting

• Like 1

Been a while since I completed this "glorious" game but all I can say...yes Guillotine is your best friend, HOWEVER your secret is baiting the boss' long ranged attacks.

Whatever you do, do not stay near the sucker, since of the hardest setting that sword swipe can potentially one shot you (and you have no i-frames mid-dodging).

What you do instead is make him summon the spike throws/ that flail slam/ his dash. Anticipate that, rush to him via dashing, do guillotine then run like the most coward Belmont ever. Rinse and repeat.

He is a really difficult boss, persistence is kinda the key here xD 

• Like 3

It's been too long since I played Lords of Shadow (and I love it to the point I'd buy a re-release, like, day one) but air attacks and jumping heavy strike (don't recall the names of any moves, sorry) are a way to go. Don't remember it being hard to be honest a moderate effort at best on my part.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah persistence is definitely the way to go. Figuring his attacks out is actually the easy part. That's not to say that I don't mess up the dodges more often than I'd like but at least there I know what to do. It really is only landing an attack on the head that actually gave me a lot of trouble because sometimes I do hit and sometimes I don't. So I was wondering if I was using the wrong attacks on him to begin with. I managed to actually beat him on normal in the end but I'm not looking forward to tackle him on Paladdin because the problem with how to attack him still exists.

35 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah persistence is definitely the way to go. Figuring his attacks out is actually the easy part. That's not to say that I don't mess up the dodges more often than I'd like but at least there I know what to do. It really is only landing an attack on the head that actually gave me a lot of trouble because sometimes I do hit and sometimes I don't. So I was wondering if I was using the wrong attacks on him to begin with. I managed to actually beat him on normal in the end but I'm not looking forward to tackle him on Paladdin because the problem with how to attack him still exists.

Its been a while for me too however I just remember getting my ass kicked when I tried to "button mash" my way through this, especially on paladdin. My strategy ended up being learning his attacks, knowing when to counter and when to avoid him. You do minimal damage but you just have to keep chopping away.

With the high attacks on his head, I don't remember having issues with this so I would just suggest keep using double jump to get height and attack at your peak. If you get the angle right, your attacks should land.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Ah yes, now that you mention I remember that his hitbox was finnicky. Your best bet is to attack him while he is doing another attack (because that's when he hunches abit, giving you opportunity to hit more times). What I always used was that Seraph double jump thing followed by a Guillotine variant (you have to experiment with that one). 

I don't remember if there was an attack that launched me further upwards, might remember wrong.

• Like 1

I love me some LoS. Originally did it on the Xbox and then PC so I probably need to do it on the Ps3. 

So this guys parts get exposed and you give them a good old bashing. Provided you're comfortable getting to the bit you're stuck on, I'd reserve the Light and Dark (Shadow?) magic until the final bit. 

Given the issue is you dying as opposed to causing large amounts of damage, I'd focus on using the light magic to heal you. (I'm sure that's a thing). And practice getting the hits. 

Patience is key as already mentioned and I'd wait for him to specifically do attacks that lower his height. He's got a pretty standard pattern attack where he brings his swords down and then swipes them in. I'd jump in at that point and attack and then look for any other opening when his height is lower. 

You're right in that he's tall so he's not the easiest to hit but seeing as the point you need to hit is very specific, just be patient and work through it. 

Overall it shouldn't give you too much hassle. Just practice and use the magic to keep you going. 

• Like 1

First of all let me thank you all for the feedback on this. I'm kinda amazed that so many people reply to a question on a game this old. I'm really happy to see people still appreciating older titles.^^

11 hours ago, black__bunny said:

Its been a while for me too however I just remember getting my ass kicked when I tried to "button mash" my way through this, especially on paladdin. My strategy ended up being learning his attacks, knowing when to counter and when to avoid him. You do minimal damage but you just have to keep chopping away.

With the high attacks on his head, I don't remember having issues with this so I would just suggest keep using double jump to get height and attack at your peak. If you get the angle right, your attacks should land.

Yeah, the angle it's what's been hard on me. Mostly because the camera is bad in this fight ranging between an asymetric view like in Diablo when you are far away from him up and classic third person view where. The problem is that the camera doesn't always keep up perspective to match your proximity so when I'm closer to him and it's still asymetric I actually noticed that I am too close to hit him, with certain attacks and I rather connect when I'm further away and just hit him with the tip of my whip.

7 hours ago, Copanele said:

Ah yes, now that you mention I remember that his hitbox was finnicky. Your best bet is to attack him while he is doing another attack (because that's when he hunches abit, giving you opportunity to hit more times). What I always used was that Seraph double jump thing followed by a Guillotine variant (you have to experiment with that one). 

I don't remember if there was an attack that launched me further upwards, might remember wrong.

I started with the double jump Guillotine too but because of the camera problem I missed more often than hitting him which was quite annoying because it only made this more a battle of attrition because I had to dodge him even longer to strike him. What brought him down eventually were regular square attacks after a double jump. But that was on normal mode so I'm worried I might need a different approach once I tackle him on Paladdin.

7 hours ago, bikeman223 said:

I remember this being a hard one. It's been a while but isn't there some kind of focus meter at the bottom of the screen that can give you magic orbs? I remember maintaining that and using light/shadow magic being important for this boss.

The focus meter only works if you keep hitting your opponent within a certain timeframe without being hit. Since my problem is actually landing a hit that counts on him. Successfully landing a hit on him every leap year is not going to increase the focus meter I'm afraid.

5 hours ago, CptToffer said:

I love me some LoS. Originally did it on the Xbox and then PC so I probably need to do it on the Ps3. 

So this guys parts get exposed and you give them a good old bashing. Provided you're comfortable getting to the bit you're stuck on, I'd reserve the Light and Dark (Shadow?) magic until the final bit. 

Given the issue is you dying as opposed to causing large amounts of damage, I'd focus on using the light magic to heal you. (I'm sure that's a thing). And practice getting the hits. 

Patience is key as already mentioned and I'd wait for him to specifically do attacks that lower his height. He's got a pretty standard pattern attack where he brings his swords down and then swipes them in. I'd jump in at that point and attack and then look for any other opening when his height is lower. 

You're right in that he's tall so he's not the easiest to hit but seeing as the point you need to hit is very specific, just be patient and work through it. 

Overall it shouldn't give you too much hassle. Just practice and use the magic to keep you going. 

That's actually an interesting thing that you and bikeman223 mention. Maintaining the magic. I've read many suggestions that say I should only get into this fight with full health and magic bars. But my question is how. I get my ass kicked big time in the very first fight and even when I make it past that and successfully avoid the skelletons I will have not much left when I confront the Forgotten One the second time. When people say "don't tackle this fight without full health and magic bars" actually mean that I have to flawlessly beat the Forgotten One on the first encounter and then not fail during the lava lake? Because that's not an easy feat at all to me.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2022 at 7:32 PM, Ivotas said:

When people say "don't tackle this fight without full health and magic bars" actually mean that I have to flawlessly beat the Forgotten One on the first encounter and then not fail during the lava lake? Because that's not an easy feat at all to me.

This is stirring some memories but yes, I think you do need to set up the final fight by avoiding danger throughout the chapter. It's not easy and this is one of those boss fights you're probably going to end up learning their attack patterns for a while until it becomes second nature. This fight, the final boss of MGRR and Sekiro's Great Shinobi - Owl stand out as some of the hardest I've done.

Edited by bikeman223
  • Like 1

Well make sure you get through the first part of the chapter without damage and full blue and red meters. Skip the skeletons at the start of the second part. Then for the forgotten one: it's all about learning his patterns (and avoiding his attacks) and foremost, don't get greedy! Accept that you can only get one hit in and if you dodged an attack and are to far away to get a hit in, be patient and wait till after you dodged the previous attack. Make sure to save your red and blue stuff during the first two phases and if you happen to get hit, use some blue stuff when attacking. When your health is ok, use the red stuff. In the end, for me the core to defeating him on Paladin was learning the pattern and being patient.

• Like 1

Guys, apologies to get back to you this late. I always forget that I actively have to open the forum to receive a notification about replies I've received. When I'm checking updating my trophy card and don't have a notification there I always think, no one replied. Sorry, didn't meant to be rude.

On 6.2.2022 at 3:25 PM, bikeman223 said:

This is stirring some memories but yes, I think you do need to set up the final fight by avoiding danger throughout the chapter. It's not easy and this is one of those boss fights you're probably going to end up learning their attack patterns for a while until it becomes second nature. This fight, the final boss of MGRR and Sekiro's Great Shinobi - Owl stand out as some of the hardest I've done.

Yep, had to do the avoiding thing. Good thing that one can actually refill health on easy chapters. Didn't even know that was possible on my first playthrough.^^'

On 9.2.2022 at 6:45 PM, Baron_Bonk said:

Well make sure you get through the first part of the chapter without damage and full blue and red meters. Skip the skeletons at the start of the second part. Then for the forgotten one: it's all about learning his patterns (and avoiding his attacks) and foremost, don't get greedy! Accept that you can only get one hit in and if you dodged an attack and are to far away to get a hit in, be patient and wait till after you dodged the previous attack. Make sure to save your red and blue stuff during the first two phases and if you happen to get hit, use some blue stuff when attacking. When your health is ok, use the red stuff. In the end, for me the core to defeating him on Paladin was learning the pattern and being patient.

Yeah, don't get greedy definitely did the trick. My problem was figuring out how much would be too greedy. Sometimes but not often four strikes was too greedy. The problem was that often enough you could also land four strikes easily but they put you in a disadvantage once he desides to not take my shit anymore. Once I figured that one out, I had to also overcome myself because landing at least four strikes became an automatism. Once I got rid of that I had an "easier" time with him. 

On 12.2.2022 at 11:02 PM, bikeman223 said:

Congrats on 100%-ing the game Ivotas.

Thanks mate. I'm so glad that this is over. Now I'm on Mirror of Fate before I start LoS 2.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2022 at 9:04 PM, Ivotas said:

Thanks mate. I'm so glad that this is over. Now I'm on Mirror of Fate before I start LoS 2.

I only played this after being included as part of the LOS collection but I absolutely loved it. Mirror of Fate was amazing and would highly recommend it - even if you can't get it in the collection anymore, it's worth the purchase. 

11 hours ago, black__bunny said:

I only played this after being included as part of the LOS collection but I absolutely loved it. Mirror of Fate was amazing and would highly recommend it - even if you can't get it in the collection anymore, it's worth the purchase. 

I'm actually playing Mirror of Fate right now and I'm stuck in my 100% backtracking with Trevor. I have all the abilities yet the collectibles I'm missing on the Entrance Bridge map is just not there, where the ? is. I've looking for videos online but I couldn't find anything that helps me. :(