Trophy Tip Improvements

ExHaseo

I've been trying to add in more trophy tips lately, and I've thought of a few things that could improve the system.

1) I think there should be a General Tips section for games. Tips that don't pertain to a specific trophy, but will help you get to platinum faster. For instance, under general tips on DmC you could have something like, "Don't worry about trophies your first time through. You need to play through at least 5 times for the platinum, and trophy progression carries over to multiple playthroughs." or someone could list out any missable trophies, or possible trophy glitches. Like in Bioshock Infinite, if you get signed out of PSN while playing, trophies stop popping, but there's no logical place to put this kind of info where people will see it. Someone could also list out which trophies are given automatically under this tab. There's no real place to put info like this. In order to add to this section, you could require that you obtain the platinum.

2) It would be nice if on your profile you could see all trophy tips you have posted, instead of just recent trophy tips. It'd be nice to be able to know which tips have likes and which don't(without having to individually seek them out), so you know what's helping and what's not.

3) More advanced reporting. Right now, there's just a report button. It'd be easier (and less intimidating) if you could choose why you're reporting a trophy tip. Some are just pointless and are taking up space, like on a trophy that says Play 100 Matches under trophy tips it just says, Play 100 Matches. But since there's no classification of why a trophy tip is being reported, I'm never sure if that's what the function is for or not. I'm sure other people have been equally as confused, which is why there are so many redundant trophy tips. Anyway, there could be the option for reporting it as inaccurate, as self explanatory, as a duplicate of a previous trophy, or one that makes no sense(some are in broken English and are very confusing).

4)This has been brought up, a lot, but I want to mention it again anyway, tip editing and/or the ability to delete a tip. I noticed a thread from 2011 that said editing was planned, but it's been almost 3 years since that thread was made, so I wasn't sure if it was forgotten or discarded or something.

Anyway, that's all. I hope they'll be considered.

• Like 2

From what I understand, the whole trophy tip system is under review and Sly doesn't like its current implementation. So a lot of recent trophy tips suggestions, good as they may be, could be obsolete.

We'll need to wait and see what Sly has in mind and I'm sure he'll reveal the changes in due time.

From what I understand, the whole trophy tip system is under review and Sly doesn't like its current implementation. So a lot of recent trophy tips suggestions, good as they may be, could be obsolete.

We'll need to wait and see what Sly has in mind and I'm sure he'll reveal the changes in due time.

Ehhh, I hope he doesn't delete the tips seeing as there are thousands of them for what seems like most games now. It's actually a fantastic community-driven system, I'm quite impressed by it and how smoothly it works! Nobody is gonna go back and write tips for most of those games again if they're deleted. Hopefully he's not thinking of a guide system where a few people attempt write guides for some games, I can't really imagine that at all being as widespread and efficient as the current community tip system.... Unless he has this crazy system that I'm not thinking of that will blow our minds, haha

Ehhh, I hope he doesn't delete the tips seeing as there are thousands of them for what seems like most games now. It's actually a fantastic community-driven system, I'm quite impressed by it and how smoothly it works! Nobody is gonna go back and write tips for most of those games again if they're deleted. Hopefully he's not thinking of a guide system where a few people attempt write guides for some games, I can't really imagine that at all being as widespread and efficient as the current community tip system.... Unless he has this crazy system that I'm not thinking of that will blow our minds, haha

I agree, in principle, as it means the content is crowdsourced by the community, which means less work overall. But in practice, there's a lot of holes in the content and more than a fair share of crap and it's just begging for some form of editing.

On the flipside, guides tend to be better formatted and the content is consistent, but they're not the ideal medium either because the quality again is reliant on the skill of the author.

A hybrid solution of roadmap and guide with additional time-constrained, editable tips for each trophy would seem the ideal solution. Until that happens, I guess we'll continue to use multiple sites to fulfil our needs.

If it's under review, now is the best time to get things out there. Suggestions could help Sly figure out what to implement, what to remove, or what to change completely.

If it's under review, now is the best time to get things out there. Suggestions could help Sly figure out what to implement, what to remove, or what to change completely.

Just to be clear, we're dealing in Chinese whispers. AFAIK, Sly's said nothing on the subject other than he's not entirely happy with the Tips system as it is.

I'm sure he's heard these suggestions dozens of times and only he knows what's in store for the functionality. He knows his shit, let's give him some breathing room to do it.

• Like 2

Just to be clear, we're dealing in Chinese whispers. AFAIK, Sly's said nothing on the subject other than he's not entirely happy with the Tips system as it is.

I'm sure he's heard these suggestions dozens of times and only he knows what's in store for the functionality. He knows his shit, let's give him some breathing room to do it.

I'm suggesting them anyway. He may be a good programmer and everything, but that doesn't mean he's thought of every possible scenario, and there's no way of knowing exactly if someone has suggested these things, or if they've even been seen. Which is why this part of the forum exists in the first place. For, you know, suggestions. I had a suggestion, so I posted it. Just leaving everything in the hands of the almighty is never a good idea. We have no idea what he's thinking or planning. Also, he's also the one who created the current system. So if the current system is sub-par, why would you want to leave a new system solely up to the same person that created the flawed system? It's just some suggestions I had to improve the system. He may have already thought of these things, but there's no way to know. It's fine if you want to sit back and hope that something gets done someday, maybe, but there's no reason to post in the suggestion forums if you don't want to make suggestions to help improve the site.

I've been trying to add in more trophy tips lately, and I've thought of a few things that could improve the system.

1) I think there should be a General Tips section for games. Tips that don't pertain to a specific trophy, but will help you get to platinum faster. For instance, under general tips on DmC you could have something like, "Don't worry about trophies your first time through. You need to play through at least 5 times for the platinum, and trophy progression carries over to multiple playthroughs." or someone could list out any missable trophies, or possible trophy glitches. Like in Bioshock Infinite, if you get signed out of PSN while playing, trophies stop popping, but there's no logical place to put this kind of info where people will see it. Someone could also list out which trophies are given automatically under this tab. There's no real place to put info like this. In order to add to this section, you could require that you obtain the platinum.

This, I believe we need a section were we chan check if the game has missable trophies, min. number of playthroughs to plat, etc. Great idea.

• Like 1

I'm suggesting them anyway. He may be a good programmer and everything, but that doesn't mean he's thought of every possible scenario, and there's no way of knowing exactly if someone has suggested these things, or if they've even been seen. Which is why this part of the forum exists in the first place. For, you know, suggestions. I had a suggestion, so I posted it. Just leaving everything in the hands of the almighty is never a good idea. We have no idea what he's thinking or planning. Also, he's also the one who created the current system. So if the current system is sub-par, why would you want to leave a new system solely up to the same person that created the flawed system? It's just some suggestions I had to improve the system. He may have already thought of these things, but there's no way to know. It's fine if you want to sit back and hope that something gets done someday, maybe, but there's no reason to post in the suggestion forums if you don't want to make suggestions to help improve the site.

I'm not saying not to post it, but instead of everyone posting separate threads relating to this topic, of which there have been half a dozen of late with very similar suggestions, perhaps use one of the existing threads. Use the search function and add to the existing knowledge base on the topic rather than everyone constantly creating new threads with recycled ideas he's already heard before. Maybe one of the Mods can create an "official" Trophy Tips suggestions thread to collate it all into the one place.

You also need to respect that Sly has done this all off his own bat, he doesn't monetise the site aside from dirt-cheap Premium upgrades and in the end, it's his site and he can do whatever he likes. I've been part of this and Sly's previous community for 4 or so years and the guy hasn't steered us wrong yet. Most of us are happy with the Tips system and yes, it could use a few tweaks. But none of us know exactly what he has in mind, so maybe let him do it instead of jumping on his back with the same suggestions posted a dozen times in the past.

I choose to intepret his radio silence on the subject as an indication of something big afoot that he'll reveal in due time to blow our fucking socks off, just as he's done for our profiles, game sessions, games, leaderboards etc. I've worked in this field for 17 years and I can tell you that the guy knows his shit, so by all means make suggestions we've all seen before, but give him some time and space to do it.

You want it done quicker? Maybe toss the coins in your pocket his way and subscribe to Premium so the guy has the money to implement changes just that little bit faster. It's not like any of us have paid more than a few bucks to be here and most of you tight-arses haven't paid a red cent. The server costs money, the bandwidth costs money and his time costs money, so do us all a favour and subscribe!

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

I always use the trophy guides on playstationtrophies.org for that. Works for me.

Me too, but that doesn't mean it can't be implemented here. It would make it much more convenient and potentially bring in more traffic to this site, instead of that one. I personally don't like those guides too, because they're completely reliant on the person that wrote them, and those people aren't always very good at it. Tips make it so multiple people can contribute, and like I said, would make it much more convenient and potentially bring in more traffic to this site. It's always a lot easier to have only one page open when trophy hunting.

You want it done quicker? Maybe toss the coins in your pocket his way and subscribe to Premium so the guy has the money to implement changes just that little bit faster. It's not like any of us have paid more than a few bucks to be here and most of you tight-arses haven't paid a red cent. The server costs money, the bandwidth costs money and his time costs money, so do us all a favour and subscribe!

Reading this made my day, been wanting to say it so many times before :D

Although bound to get the answer : it can't be that hard to do :|

Edited by Memnoch

What about those DLC packs you dont want to buy/ they assume you have it

and then reduce your completion rate % unless you have platinum on it? that is so unfair lol...

Today i lost 13% on Muramasa Rebirth just cause some DLC pack was released, doesn't make sense to me...

always thought that is only supposed to appear unless you purchase that content and play it.

Edited by Nelson_Otaku

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Got a problem with DLC? Buy a Nintendo.

I bought US version and DLC is region locked for this scroller action rpg lol

guess i can live with it although im avoiding this half rpg genre from now on as they always love to force people buy DLC pack.

(few companies do this and dont deserve support if they are forcing me to buy DLC messing with my completion rate)

DLC is part of the game, a game isn't 100% complete until you have done the DLC, so completion rate with DLC included makes sense :)

Does it? when i acomplished 82% of the game while i cant buy DLC, a noob buying DLC now have the game more complete than me?

lol that's hilarious cause this sounds like those MMORPG where you pay to win.

Also DLC is nothing more than extra content, DLC being part of the game or not shouldn't mean that much.

Edited by Nelson_Otaku

because you don't want DLC doesn't make people who buy it 'noobs' ... and where is DLC 'paying to win' ? - not actually looking for an answer as this is already well past OT.

otherwise it's simple maths game + DLC = 100% - it is far from being unfair, you have 100% on base game, but you don't have 100% on the extra content, seems pretty fair to me

Edited by Memnoch

because you don't want DLC doesn't make people who buy it 'noobs' ... and where is DLC 'paying to win' ? - not actually looking for an answer as this is already well past OT.

otherwise it's simple maths game + DLC = 100% - it is far from being unfair, you have 100% on base game, but you don't have 100% on the extra content, seems pretty fair to me

Misinterpretation as i didn't call anyone noob for buying DLC (also being noob is nothing to be ashamed off anyways)

from my view that is just market strategy to make people buy DLC by force, for example Project Diva f DLC 6 extra stages you play wont give you any extra trophy.

Lastly i didn't purchase such content for Muramasa so shouldn't even be there unless i did such,

as for the part of "paying to win" what i mean is: the player no longer requires skill to have more completion rate

than any other player if he have the money to buy DLC packs for this game (aren't they similar if we aply math logic here)

Edited by Nelson_Otaku

the player no longer requires skill to have more completion rate

than any other player if he have the money to buy DLC packs for this game (aren't they similar if we aply math logic here)

The player requires the same skill level you have at least, for the core game to be at a close %. While DLC will surely boost that number a little, doesn't mean it was easy, not every DLC is just a bunch of easy trophies. Hell, if you want 100% on Uncharted 3 you are going to need way more skill that someone that just completes the base game.

• 2 weeks later...