DO NOT BUY if you have a PS4 Pro or PS5

I originally played this game on the base PS4 and had no issues, but after two years I dusted this game off and decided to give it a try on PS5. It has horrible stuttering every time you move your head. This issue has apparently been known for years, but hasn't been addressed and is unlikely to be anytime soon.

So yeah, don't buy this if you don't own an OG / slim PS4, because it's essentially unplayable. Made me sick after ~five minutes of play despite being able to marathon Skyrim VR for 6+ hours in a row.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 11:39 PM, Darling Baphomet said:

So yeah, don't buy this if you don't own an OG / slim PS4, because it's essentially unplayable. 

Well, this sucks, I did originally purchase this when I had only a PS4 (before PS5 was released) and am about to get around to playing it on my PS5 in the next couple months . . 

On 5/31/2022 at 6:54 AM, Vive_ut_vivas said:

For PS4 Pro just turn off boost function, I have no issues with the game on my PS4 Pro with it turned off.

Thanks for this tip!

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 2

I've played the NA version in its entirety, and am also returning to finish the EU version, both on PS5, and I can't say that I've run into any stuttering problems personally.

Not sure if it's something to do with my setup, whether it's the drive it's installed on (I use external HDD) or the controller method (I've used Aim Controller/DuslSense) but the game having issues on PS5 is definitely news to me.

I will agree though that the game isn't very comfortable to play, and anyone looking to pick this up outside of trophies is honestly better off playing the original. It's a rough port, but at the very least stuttering problems are new to me.

Actually on the topic of setups, do you have the original or the updated model of the PSVR? No clue if that would affect anything.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wltrsjcwvita said:

Actually on the topic of setups, do you have the original or the updated model of the PSVR? No clue if that would affect anything.

I believe I have the updated version; it's a very common complaint that the game has stuttering when you turn your head on PS4 Pro / PS5, though. If you google search it you'll find a half dozen Reddit threads attesting to that from the last few years. It's like a slight jitter / delay when you turn your head.

Odd you haven't had any issues, though.

46 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I believe I have the updated version; it's a very common complaint that the game has stuttering when you turn your head on PS4 Pro / PS5, though. If you google search it you'll find a half dozen Reddit threads attesting to that from the last few years. It's like a slight jitter / delay when you turn your head.

Odd you haven't had any issues, though.

That is strange. I have the original model, but I doubt that'll affect much.

Hope you're able to find a fix for it, because as far as I can tell, this game is basically done in terms of patches.

• 3 months later...
51 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

What do you mean? Why isn't it? I have my VR set up with my OG PS4. What am I to expect?

I personally found it to be kind of a rough port honestly, it's not amazing or immersive for a VR game, and it's still missing any sort of multiplayer and some of the main DLC from the original game. Most of the HUD and text are hard to read too.

Only way I could stomach playing this game long enough to complete it was being sat down with a controller, which at that point you'd may as well just play the normal game instead.

It's not a terrible game, it's just a rough port, and pretty much the only reason it's enjoyable is because it's Borderlands 2. Either way, if you do decide to buy it (hopefully on a sale) then hopefully you have a better time with it than I did.

On 15/05/2022 at 5:39 AM, Darling Baphomet said:

I originally played this game on the base PS4 and had no issues, but after two years I dusted this game off and decided to give it a try on PS5. It has horrible stuttering every time you move your head. This issue has apparently been known for years, but hasn't been addressed and is unlikely to be anytime soon.

So yeah, don't buy this if you don't own an OG / slim PS4, because it's essentially unplayable. Made me sick after ~five minutes of play despite being able to marathon Skyrim VR for 6+ hours in a row.

have you tried lowering the resolution? or is that even a thing idk I've not tried VR yet.

1 hour ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

I played it and platted it twice on my PS4 pro and never had any issues.

The VR versions?

1 hour ago, wltrsjcwvita said:

I personally found it to be kind of a rough port honestly, it's not amazing or immersive for a VR game, and it's still missing any sort of multiplayer and some of the main DLC from the original game. Most of the HUD and text are hard to read too.

Only way I could stomach playing this game long enough to complete it was being sat down with a controller, which at that point you'd may as well just play the normal game instead.

It's not a terrible game, it's just a rough port, and pretty much the only reason it's enjoyable is because it's Borderlands 2. Either way, if you do decide to buy it (hopefully on a sale) then hopefully you have a better time with it than I did.

Damn. This is the type of game where you'd think standing would be the best option too. I usually play standing, especially if I'm using my Aim gun because sitting just feels awkward. I don't think I've ever witnessed such a divided crowd either. What I mean is, I've read and watched so many reviews saying "What an amazing experience" but have also read and watched many reviews saying the opposite.

Are you prone to motion sickness caused by VR? I'm certainly not and I think by now if I was it would've happened given the amount of VR games I've played. It would suck to buy this game only to be forced to sit throughout the entire thing.

2 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Are you prone to motion sickness caused by VR? I'm certainly not and I think by now if I was it would've happened given the amount of VR games I've played. It would suck to buy this game only to be forced to sit throughout the entire thing.

I personally don't have a problem with motion sickness, I've played other games like Beat Saber and Superhot for hours at a time in the past and never had any issues. The main problem with this game is that the HUD is basically 1-to-1 with the normal game, and there's nothing you can do to make it easier to read, especially when you're moving your head around.

That being said, a lot of reviews of the game will likely have come out when the game first launched, where the VR version was basically comparable to the original 2012 release. Now that a lot more of the DLC is in the game, it is definitely more enjoyable to play, but unfortunately past adding Aim controller support, not much has really changed comfort-wise.

You definitely can jump into this version and probably find it enjoyable if you like lengthy VR games, but I'd personally recommend trying out the non-VR version first and see if you think it's the kind of thing you'd want to play in VR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

Yes, why would i post otherwise?

A simple "yes" would've sufficed. No reason to be rude about it. To me your reply came off a bit on the insulting side, as if it to say I'm an idiot for even asking. Sometimes people reply or give answers that have nothing to do with the actual subject at hand. For all I know you could've been talking about the flat versions. Common sense told me you were talking about the VR versions but I still wanted to ask anyway just to make sure.

2 hours ago, wltrsjcwvita said:

You definitely can jump into this version and probably find it enjoyable if you like lengthy VR games, but I'd personally recommend trying out the non-VR version first and see if you think it's the kind of thing you'd want to play in VR.

The reason I haven't tried out the flat version is because I absolutely hate first-person. The only time ever where it doesn't bother me and I can actually tolerate it and enjoy the game is when it's in VR. So the flat versions are a no-go for me. 

2 hours ago, Sn1per666999 said:

I don't suggest buying it if you do own a OG PS4. I played it on that and it crashed close to 10 times and one of the side quests broke so I gave up on the platinum. I had neither of these problems with the PS3 and PS4 2D versions.

I do own a PS4 Slim as well so if it gets that bad I guess I could always swap. I don't know though. I've been on the fence going back and forth with this game for a year almost. Every time I see it back on sale this huge "debate" in my head starts all over again. I just don't want to play a game that's going to confuse me, overwhelm me and make me want to rage my headset and Aim gun through a wall. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

The reason I haven't tried out the flat version is because I absolutely hate first-person. The only time ever where it doesn't bother me and I can actually tolerate it and enjoy the game is when it's in VR. So the flat versions are a no-go for me.

Then go for it. It'll either be the best 30 hours or the worst 5 minutes you'll have in VR.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

A simple "yes" would've sufficed. No reason to be rude about it. To me your reply came off a bit on the insulting side, as if it to say I'm an idiot for even asking. Sometimes people reply or give answers that have nothing to do with the actual subject at hand. For all I know you could've been talking about the flat versions. Common sense told me you were talking about the VR versions but I still wanted to ask anyway just to make sure.

It wasn't my intention to be rude not in the slightest. I was just a bit perplexed you asked because you know me a little bit by now and I don't think you think I'm an idiot either. Happy hunting to you ninja.

14 hours ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

have you tried lowering the resolution? or is that even a thing idk I've not tried VR yet.

Not a thing as far as I can tell, unfortunately. Based on the comments here it doesn't seem to be a thing for everyone, so I'm not sure what it is that triggers it. All I know is my PS5 copy is essentially unplayable and I'm putting it off until I can be bothered to move my PSVR setup onto my PS4.

8 hours ago, wltrsjcwvita said:

Then go for it. It'll either be the best 30 hours or the worst 5 minutes you'll have in VR.

Lol. Straight to the point, I like that. :lol:

8 hours ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

It wasn't my intention to be rude not in the slightest. I was just a bit perplexed you asked because you know me a little bit by now and I don't think you think I'm an idiot either. Happy hunting to you ninja.

Yeah amigo I was like why is he getting all snappy with me what the hell did I do, lol. Text is terrible for conveying anything. Do I think you're an idiot? Not in the slightest. Sorry dude, all just a misunderstanding.  :highfive:

14 hours ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

I've not tried VR yet.

Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!?! Dude! DUUUUDE! I don't know your situation as to why you never tried but you owe it to yourself to try VR. It makes every game better x like a billion! Stop reading this post right now and go get yourself a VR!   :D   :lol:  :awesome:

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 2:08 PM, SaySykesRN said:

So to summarise, is this worth picking up? I enjoy borderlands, also, is this one of those games I don’t even need to wear the headset for? I only own a ps5

... It's called Borderlands 2 VR for a reason. If you only have a PS5 and PSVR1 it's a crapshoot on whether or not it'll be playable.

• Like 1