Trophies ruined gaming !!

GMZ

2 hours ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

It all started with 1000 top rated or something and Sony took that down but they kept making such games so i guess Sony dropped the ball, i try to avoid many games that i believe they're not for me i am working on that, i've fallen into that trap at the beginning but now i am trying to fix whatever fixable.

It started with My Name is Mayo. Devs discovered they could make a short a game as possible and put a platinum trophy for it. 

In the PS3 and early PS4 era, games for the most part had to be a certain length. Shorter games were usually only 100% only titles. 

Edited by AJ_Radio

On 16.5.2022 at 0:06 AM, Great_MazingerZ said:

I stand by this statement, over the years and the more time passed by i started to see it that way, i know this is a trophy site and you all love trophies and i am a trophy hunter myself but i am being honest here, but why i see it that way because:

- Online trophies:

Things like reach max level (level 50 or whatever) or get 1000s of kills can't be more boring by doing the same thing over and over, Games like Far Cry 2, Crysis 2, Inversion, Red Faction Guerrilla and many others and what comes out of it is another issue and it's boosting with new people that they either turn friends or assholes (by them not following the rules of boosting and make it harder and more tedious).

Or that the servers go down and ruin your platinum and your 100% profile.

- Difficulty trophies:

Some of these trophies are just ridiculous and bullshit, i am talking about games like Max Payne 3 and Wolfenstein II (Mein Leben) you can't tell me this is fun when games are meant to be for fun.

- Multiple playthroughs:

These type of trophies alone are enough to make me hate even my favorite game, example is Metal Gear Solid 4 i must beat this game 8 times, ok i love this game but i don't wanna play it 8 times this is insane !! or also a game called Way of the Samurai 3 i think you need to beat this game 7 times ....really no comment !!!

- Glitched trophies:

How unfair they are right ? especially those trophies that pop at the end of the game but they don't because they glitched on you and its developers don't give a shit about fixing them.

- Playing shit games:

I gotta admit trophies made my game collection a 100x bigger vs me as a casual gamer, the endless greed of wanting more and more trophies that made us stir away from playing good or better games, i even don't play Ratalaika games or any others like them and yet i feel like i thrown myself into a swamp, my entire life is not enough for me to finish the backlog, therefore because of trophies our gaming budget became 10x more than usual because of non stop buying games we may think they are good but they aren't and the DLCs and season passes and you know how greedy those companies became the day microtransaction was born.

Might be unpopular topic here but i felt i wanna let it out of my system, i could talk more and more about this if you people started commenting so what do you guys think ? 

Good thing about trophies, is no one is twisting your arm to play shitty games. No one is even forcing you to play games for trophies :) 

I play games i like, and when i feel like it's doable, i go for platinum. When i don't go for platinum, i do as much as i can. Don't sweat it. Just play and have fun. It it, after all, only virtual dings on a screen. So play for fun, and enjoy life, instead of worrying so much about silly stuff :) 

Unless you're trying to be number 1 on the leaderboards, then by all means no life it and go hard, while you hate what you do :D 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

It started with My Name is Mayo. Devs discovered they could make a short a game as possible and put a platinum trophy for it. 

In the PS3 and early PS4 era, games for the most part had to be a certain length. Shorter games were usually only 100% only titles. 

Yep it all started with my name is mayo but 1000 top rated caused Sony to delist that game from the ps store due to its incredibly short. 

2 hours ago, TomataEighty9 said:

Good thing about trophies, is no one is twisting your arm to play shitty games. No one is even forcing you to play games for trophies :) 

I play games i like, and when i feel like it's doable, i go for platinum. When i don't go for platinum, i do as much as i can. Don't sweat it. Just play and have fun. It it, after all, only virtual dings on a screen. So play for fun, and enjoy life, instead of worrying so much about silly stuff :) 

Unless you're trying to be number 1 on the leaderboards, then by all means no life it and go hard, while you hate what you do :D 

And what about shitty trophy list on a good game ? While you love to go for them it will ruin the fun experience of a good game, no one wants to admit that not caring about trophies when they are shit makes you a casual gamer not a trophy hunter. Maybe i should have made the title trophies ruined games for trophy hunters. 

36 minutes ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

Yep it all started with my name is mayo but 1000 top rated caused Sony to delist that game from the ps store due to its incredibly short. 

That is not why 1000 Top Rated was removed - it had nothing to do with the ease/ length of the game.

It was removed due to the title being considered misleading, as it implied the game had a level of consumer ratings that it didn’t.

The exact same game was listed shortly afterwards under a new, less misleading name (Slyde) and it is still available now.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That is not why 1000 Top Rated was removed - it had nothing to do with the ease/ length of the game.

It was removed due to the title being considered misleading, as it implied the game had a level of consumer ratings that it didn’t.

The exact same game was listed shortly afterwards under a new, less misleading name (Slyde) and it is still available now.

Ah ok, thanks for the correction :) now i know why, nonetheless i did not bother to do those games. 

Edited by Great_MazingerZ
  • Like 1

On 24/05/2022 at 1:20 PM, blacklight-nero said:

I try going for 100% on most of the games I play usually anyway so because of that I have a lot of games in the backlog that I haven’t played yet, so in that sense trophies kinda ruined how fast I get through them.

Also trophies have influenced the purchases of a bunch of cheap games that I would have never purchased if it didn’t have an easy platinum I got a bunch left in the library, but thankfully I’ve stopped buying crap that I’m not 100% interested in yay. 

But then again just because I like getting trophies don’t mean I need to 100% every game I’m not that obsessed it’s just a preference I’ll just move on to another game if the boredom and grind is getting real.

So overall with the exception of the points I made above, No trophies haven’t ruined it for me since I still have fun gaming.

I too have games that I would have never bought or played if it weren't for the super easy trophies (like Steins Gate games and Beyond two souls, which was on plus but a super boring game that it it weren't for the easy plat, I wouldn't even have downloaded it let alone played it). 

On 25/05/2022 at 9:20 AM, Great_MazingerZ said:

Regarding the i had plenty of time to do the online, how did you know that i do ? You don’t know my life or what i’m going through, we work hard to get paid to be able to buy their games, i constantly priortise online trophies over offline, but so many games got online trophies and most of them are lengthy so it’s not an easy task, so yeah if those servers were up from 2 to 5 or 7 years that doesn’t mean i have all the time in the world, i work from 8 to 12 hours a day and when i get back home i am beat and life is not trophies only you know :)  

Agreed, I work long hours, weekends and evenings as well, so even 2 years would be very short considering it often takes me months to platinum certain games, especially RPGs which take forever. I can't keep up with plus games let alone my backlog

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

And what about shitty trophy list on a good game ? While you love to go for them it will ruin the fun experience of a good game, no one wants to admit that not caring about trophies when they are shit makes you a casual gamer not a trophy hunter. Maybe i should have made the title trophies ruined games for trophy hunters.

If a game has a shitty trophy list, i will just play the game, enjoy it, and walk away with whatever % on the trophy list i get to :) 

Not a big deal. 

Trophy hunter or casual gamer, life is too short to play things you don't wanna play :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomataEighty9 said:

If a game has a shitty trophy list, i will just play the game, enjoy it, and walk away with whatever % on the trophy list i get to :) 

Not a big deal. 

Trophy hunter or casual gamer, life is too short to play things you don't wanna play :) 

Yeah man couldn't said that right, life is too short, so we better play the best of the best games out there.

2 hours ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

Yeah man couldn't said that right, life is too short, so we better play the best of the best games out there.

It's a matter of personal taste, of course :) 

If people find joy in playing My name is mayo, and other fast and easy games, all the power to them. We all have one life, and we spend it how we want. 

For me, i just wanna play games i like. Leaderboards are not interesting to me. It's about personal joy when i platinum a game :) 

• Like 1

the title could've been worded better, but I agree with you

for me, trophy hunting was fun before I reached a certain point to where I realized that I've gained enough of them to feel like I've achieved something already and anything I would've gained going forward would've been only incremental

I don't play the numbers game, I play games and it just so happens I also trophy hunt in the games I play, but over the PS4 generation, trophy hunting has become a chore when it became more serious to trophy hunt than to actually play the games

so my goal is to tie up some lose ends with what I already have, maybe clean some games, expand some sets, have some must have games that I don't have yet, and going forward as I completely move into the PS5 generation I want to mostly stop trophy hunting with the exceptions of games that I really enjoy to the pont where I would've gotten all the trophies anyway through natural play because of how much I like the games

Sounds like Trophy Hunting is just not for you...

You don't want Easy Throphies & You don't want Hard throphies?

I do agree somewhat on your view of Online trophies though! But it's better to stay away from those games on your Hunting account and play them on an alt account.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 6:19 PM, Arzoden said:

Sounds like Trophy Hunting is just not for you...

You don't want Easy Throphies & You don't want Hard throphies?

I do agree somewhat on your view of Online trophies though! But it's better to stay away from those games on your Hunting account and play them on an alt account.

Yep, with 137 platinums and almost 700 URs, imagine if trophies were for me what would have i done ? 

I don't want easy trophies ? my only problem is Rataliaka games, if it's a good game with easy trophies i would warm welcome that, hard trophies are ok unless if they became super ridiculous. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ReverzerO- said:

I still play the game after platinum especially games with online1f60a.png Im very competitive player1f609.png

Respect to that, it would be nice also to see more players play games before trophy support such as Resistance fall of man, Army of Two, F.E.A.R., Assassin’s Creed, etc. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bro, there's no way trophies can ruin gaming. That's a you problem tbh, and while I get where you're coming from with some of the stupid trophies, most of what you said is literally just on you. Hard trophies are fun for a certain type of people, just like "hard" games are fun for other types of people. Most of the time I like to consider hard trophies a test of skill, and bs trophies a waste of time. I'd recommend simply trying to take it easy a little bit and have fun while hunting for trophies, if you're not enjoying it then just... don't do it. Take a break from it or something ?

Edited by Marilagi
  • Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 9:20 AM, Great_MazingerZ said:

If you don’t care about reaching that 100% then you don’t care about trophies.

Sorry, but this is bullshit.

You cannot make the frankly ridiculous assumption that one "does not care about trophies" if one doesn't get 100% completion on every game they play.  100% profiles are, quite honestly, more trouble to maintain than they're worth, and in some cases, they create the illusion that the player is only playing "safe" games that they know they will be able to easily complete.

I suppose you think that I "don't care about trophies" because I won't grind out 40,000 online kills in Battlefield Hardline?  Or because I couldn't complete every single trial in Super Street Fighter IV?  Please - we are not obligated to get every last trophy in our games, and if we decide to leave some games as incomplete, then what's the problem in that?

• Like 3

On 18/06/2022 at 4:54 PM, StewartBros said:

Sorry, but this is bullshit.

You cannot make the frankly ridiculous assumption that one "does not care about trophies" if one doesn't get 100% completion on every game they play.  100% profiles are, quite honestly, more trouble to maintain than they're worth, and in some cases, they create the illusion that the player is only playing "safe" games that they know they will be able to easily complete.

I suppose you think that I "don't care about trophies" because I won't grind out 40,000 online kills in Battlefield Hardline?  Or because I couldn't complete every single trial in Super Street Fighter IV?  Please - we are not obligated to get every last trophy in our games, and if we decide to leave some games as incomplete, then what's the problem in that?

It’s on me yes it is on me because i am the one who created this topic and i am speaking my mind and that’s how i see it, you disagree with it that’s fine i am not expecting a lot to agree with me, hence a lot of ppl quit trophies because they are a drag and became casual gamers again, as for me sometimes i think of quitting and sometimes i change my mind and try to continue but as of now for sure i don’t love trophies like i used to and slightly i am becoming casual with them, if i enjoy a game and then few trophies left for the platinum the moment i see them ruining the experience (which it proves my point) i stop and jump to another game.  

And for the ones who tell me that i complain from hard trophies well look at my profile i have a lot of tough plats so i still go for that challenge but sometimes there are ridiculously hard trophies that should not be in games, that’s all i wanted to say about it. 

One more thing i’d like to add regarding the hard trophies, yes they are a test of skills and all but in the end was it worth it going out of your way with the hard work toward one or two trophies ? Because some trophies do require hard work/practice more than you usually do , No one will acknowledge your hard work you won’t get paid or anything for it, no one will care because it’s just a virtual trophies but sadly the devs make it that way they make it like it’s a real gold trophy.

7 hours ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

One more thing i’d like to add regarding the hard trophies, yes they are a test of skills and all but in the end was it worth it going out of your way with the hard work toward one or two trophies ? Because some trophies do require hard work/practice more than you usually do , No one will acknowledge your hard work you won’t get paid or anything for it, no one will care because it’s just a virtual trophies but sadly the devs make it that way they make it like it’s a real gold trophy.

Hard trophies aren't about getting acknowledgement from others. It's more about pushing yourself, and those trophies are excellent milestones which can be used to measure improvement.

I honestly can't think of anyone in the highest tier of skillsets, who actively brags or seek acknowledgment for their trophies. Santa, Florriis, Danny, Yuri, the list goes on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

Hard trophies aren't about getting acknowledgement from others. It's more about pushing yourself, and those trophies are excellent milestones which can be used to measure improvement.

I honestly can't think of anyone in the highest tier of skillsets, who actively brags or seek acknowledgment for their trophies. Santa, Florriis, Danny, Yuri, the list goes on.

VirtualNight as well, i agree, they are still modest ppl, i do push myself despite that the idea of a digital image trophy in my head to test myself, sometimes i fail sometimes i succeed.

• Like 1

Most of what you list as a problem is more of a individual problem than a problem inherent with trophies. To me, they are extra challenges that I can use an excuse to extend the time I play games I like. Getting mad that other people waste their money on shit games to get easy trophies also isnt the trophies fault, people can chose whatever vice they like (although I'd probably agree to limiting what games uploaded to the psn store should be able to have trophies).

Trophies have enhanced gaming and the longevity of me playing titles long after I have finished the story mode (for better or worse).

That being said, I believe that for some people it is indeed they who have ruined gaming for themselves by only playing specific games with either only obtainable platinum trophies or simply avoiding any 'difficult' games or ones with unobtainable trophies instead of just playing games that they want to play and not giving a toss about percentages or what others might think.

I have never seen the term 'OCD' mentioned in all my years on this planet as much as I have since trophies became a thing, my opinion (and I am entitled to it) is that all this OCD about gaming is utter bollocks and this was never a thing when I was a kid.

Trophies make games last longer for me, they give me something to aim for, but if I just simply can't be bothered about a specific trophy then I will discard it in a heartbeat, and not worry about having to create a new PSN account.

Edited by Septic_Phlegm

4 hours ago, Ellie_Faera_ said:

I think you forgot to add "for me" in the title. 

For myself trophies saved my gaming hobby and i enjoy it a lot more now then i had when i was still a child.

Exaclty. I knew a guy, who told me that he would not bought any Sony console without trophy support.

• Like 1