Pocky & Rocky Reshrined trophy thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

Very faithful to the original which was nice, some added mechanics and features which wasn't too offensive. Overall great game.

It's a tad difficult but if you unlock Very Easy Mode then completing Story Mode two times you unlock Hotaru Gozen, a good character for hard mode runs as his bladestorm special is great.

Roughly a 4-6/10 difficulty depending on personal taste in the genre, perhaps a 3-4/10 with Bladestorm spam.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Wow, this game was a ton of fun. I never had the chance to play on SNES but this was a blast. I’m finding myself still itching to play more now after the 100%. Toryanse posted a very helpful guide in the Japanese stack of the game which shows all 1up shop opportunities and hidden lives. At first it seems daunting but this game is definitely a case of trial and error, memorizing stages, and boss patterns. I would strongly suggest playing through story mode first to unlock Hotaru and doing his run for the first free mode 1cc. I found that even the hard mode 1cc using Hotaru is arguably easier than the normal 1cc with Pocky or Rocky due to their lacking special ability. Additionally, Hotaru has a very nice ranged basic attack and an OP special move you can spam (holding down X). I can confirm that you can manipulate life pick ups in the 100 coin shops by having your last number as 4 or 9 for your coin count. Same goes for manipulating a shield in the 50 count shops for ending in 8. Do note that once 999 coins is present, no 1up will be awarded. You have a bomb limit of 5 and health regenerates at the end of the stage, so if you feel as if the boss is nearly dead and you’re down to 1 or 2 hearts it’s usually worth it to sacrifice a bomb and save the life. You can achieve the 10 life trophy as early as stage 5. If anyone has any questions feel free to reach out as this is very fresh in my memory. If you’re on the fence about playing the game and like beat-em-ups or shooters in the slightest do yourself a big favor and play this! I would definitely consider this more of a beat em up than a shmup however.