10/10 games on psnprofiles

DjiboutiOhm

24 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Aren't the difficulty ratings just picked by the guide writers anyways? It's not like they're a hard and fast fact. I'd even say I disagree with them more often than not.

That is the case most of the time, people give 10/10 to time consuming trophies or game with long entry threshold. It's up to person decide which game is 10/10.

39 minutes ago, PostalDudeRus said:

That is the case most of the time, people give 10/10 to time consuming trophies or game with long entry threshold. It's up to person decide which game is 10/10.

Yeah, they're pretty messed up. Like Dragon Age Inquisition (which I walked through just a couple weeks ago like it was nothing) is rated 8. But Max Payne 3 (which has a trophy that is widely regarded as one of the hardest triple A trophies out there) is also an 8 lol. The scale seems a bit out of whack.

13 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

Aren't the difficulty ratings just picked by the guide writers anyways? It's not like they're a hard and fast fact. I'd even say I disagree with them more often than not.

I feel the same with games like DMC1 being 8s but due to the plat letting you use items (power ups and invinsibilty buffs) it feels like a 4. I rarely see 10s though and that makes me want to see all the games that have 10s apart from Wolf2, SMB and Crypt.

15 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

They're normally all out of whack as it completely depends on who the guide writer is for each game. I've seen plenty of games quite similar to each other where it's widely considered that one game is harder than the other but the easier game get the 10 and the harder one gets an 8 or 9 simply because the harder one was more niche and attracted those who seek difficult games and therefore the guide writer had some experience whilst the easier game was on PS+ and the guide writer has probably never played a game close to 10 before but wanted to write a guide for the new PS+ goodies.

It's why difficult trophies in a well known AAA game like Wolf2 for example get 10s when they're not really comparable to other games that truly belong in that 10/10 club but since it has a wider audience that might be hardest game they've ever seen in their life and so naturally it'll get a 10 as understandably they have nothing harder to compare with. I wouldn't therefore say their score is 'wrong' because in context of their scale it probably should be a 10, it's their #1 hardest platinum after all, right?

Often FIFA is one I think that gets the slightly misleading guide writers curse, people who play FIFA often are likely to be the ones actually writing guides for FIFA and FIFA is one of those games where if you haven't played one before its fairly difficult, but, I guess it makes sense to rate it based on having some experience because non FIFA players don't tend to suddenly try to platinum a FIFA game. These games get like 3s or 4s and stuff and I'm sitting here with a few alleged '10/10's in my profile yet feel like FIFA 21 is the hardest platinum trophy I possess without question xD and that's not even the hardest FIFA game.

Heck, PSNP isn't the only site, comparing some games ratings across guides is a hilarious indicator of how wildly a rating can vary based on 2 different writers.

I think writers should keep in mind not only their personal experience but to try and gauge their audience. Who's going to be looking at this guide? If you're covering a platformer and you're a speedrunner at platformers maybe consider that those seeking your guide most likely aren't and rate it according to what difficulty the player should expect. Likewise on the flip-side, if platform games are you biggest weakness in gaming and you want to write the guide maybe consider not scaring off your readers with 10/10s when you know that most people would have an easier time than you, especially with help from your guide.

As abused as it can be sometimes pooling together ratings from a community is better because whilst you may have outliers you get a general feel for how your average joe found the difficulty. It's far far from perfect but it's at least a little better of an indicator than a single guide writers number pulled out their butt ;)

Mr. Driller Drill Land is one I think deserves a 10 because of one trophy. No Everest for the Wicked requires you to reach a depth of 8848 meters on World Drill Tour's special (endless) level. Reaching an A rank for trophies on MDDL isn't too hard, but NEFTW may be That One Trophy for many. MDDL's plat "Dr. Driller, PhD" is ultra rare (0.1%/2.16%).

• Like 1