PS3 60GB Model Issues

JoshC17

Long shot, but I'm currently out of ideas to fix a 60GB backwards compatible model. I've cleaned, put new thermal paste on, cleaned the laser, restored database etc. All the things that you would do normally (it had an overheating issue when I bought it). My problem is the PS3 seems to be very temperamental. Some days it will work absolutely fine, others it doesn't. I realised that the disc drive takes about 30/40 seconds to read games and sometimes doesn't read them at all until you reinsert the game. Sometimes when you boot a game it will take like 10 minutes to get to the main menu. This made me believe that the disc drive is about to die. However, that's not the only issue. For example, Tekken 6 gets stuck creating a save file, Street Fighter X Tekken had a similar issue with black screening, but everything else played fine. I replaced the HDD with an spare 80gb model but still the issue persists. Anyone have any ideas about what is going on? 

If replacing the laser and doing a full OS reinstall doesn't work, it's likely a much deeper issue that only a qualified repairman can fix but given the age of the system and number of faults, it will almost certainly be cheaper to just buy a new PS3 and sell the other one for parts :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

Instead of a "spare HDD", try using a "new" HDD in the 100-500Gb range (Hitachi or Toshiba are readily available in 7200 RPM, but 5400 RPM is fine).

If you've backed up the system completely, then I'd do a full factory reset and fresh Firmware install.

The optical drive can occasionally lose its "home" position and may need calibrating, but replacement drives are still cheap and easy to install if you so choose.

If the overheating issue still persists, it will eventually affect the solder on the mainboard. If it hasn't been reballed professionally with leaded solder, that's another avenue to pursue if your intention is to future-proof the console. 

Lastly, what type of thermal compound did you use on your CPU/GPU? I've used cheap white thermal paste before and it's absolutely terrible; you're better off getting Arctic Silver.

• Like 3

On 26/08/2022 at 6:24 PM, Helyx said:

Instead of a "spare HDD", try using a "new" HDD in the 100-500Gb range (Hitachi or Toshiba are readily available in 7200 RPM, but 5400 RPM is fine).

If you've backed up the system completely, then I'd do a full factory reset and fresh Firmware install.

The optical drive can occasionally lose its "home" position and may need calibrating, but replacement drives are still cheap and easy to install if you so choose.

If the overheating issue still persists, it will eventually affect the solder on the mainboard. If it hasn't been reballed professionally with leaded solder, that's another avenue to pursue if your intention is to future-proof the console. 

Lastly, what type of thermal compound did you use on your CPU/GPU? I've used cheap white thermal paste before and it's absolutely terrible; you're better off getting Arctic Silver.

Thanks for the replies. I will try another HDD and see if that does anything. I used MX4 thermal paste I think and the fan has been near silent since. I just find it strange how it's fine for some games and others not. I have a similar problem with a PS3 Slim where it has a problem with Dead Rising 2, but no other games. I can never find an answer online.

20 minutes ago, JoshC17 said:

Thanks for the replies. I will try another HDD and see if that does anything. I used MX4 thermal paste I think and the fan has been near silent since. I just find it strange how it's fine for some games and others not. I have a similar problem with a PS3 Slim where it has a problem with Dead Rising 2, but no other games. I can never find an answer online.

Certain PS3 games come on Dual-Layer discs, which some models are infamous for having trouble with when it comes to reading them so replacing the Laser with a higher quality one should fix the problem if that is indeed the issue.

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.
  • Like 1

Did you also replace the power supply? The original one that came with most of the fat backward compatible PS3s was very inefficient and outputted a lot of heat. There's a better version that you can use instead. You replaced the thermal paste yourself so swapping the psu's should be no problem.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RotatingCube said:

Did you also replace the power supply? The original one that came with most of the fat backward compatible PS3s was very inefficient and outputted a lot of heat. There's a better version that you can use instead. You replaced the thermal paste yourself so swapping the psu's should be no problem.

Would the PSU cause problems with reading certain games? I will give it a try as well.

If it's still struggling to read discs after cleaning the laser, it would be best to just buy a new laser. My 60gb had problems with reading dvds and dual layer blurays, put a new laser in for 10 bucks and now it reads flawlessly. As for the PSU, some of the 60gb models came with a really shitty ZSSR psu that wasn't very efficient and generated a lot of heat. The only other compatible one you can put in there is the APS-226

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

Would recommend buying a slim PS3, they have a lot less issues, those fat early models have too many issues and can fail quickly, not to mention they're really hot when it's running.

It's for the PS2 games, that's why I love the 60gb model. I have 2 slim PS3's already and they both have weird disc drive issues too. It seems to be a common theme lol

3 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

If it's still struggling to read discs after cleaning the laser, it would be best to just buy a new laser. My 60gb had problems with reading dvds and dual layer blurays, put a new laser in for 10 bucks and now it reads flawlessly. As for the PSU, some of the 60gb models came with a really shitty ZSSR psu that wasn't very efficient and generated a lot of heat. The only other compatible one you can put in there is the APS-226

I will have a look into it, but generally the system has been silent after changing the thermal paste and cleaning the dust. It's mainly certain types of games causing issues, along with some slow system loading (this usually fixes itself after a reboot or two).

1 hour ago, JoshC17 said:

It's for the PS2 games, that's why I love the 60gb model. I have 2 slim PS3's already and they both have weird disc drive issues too. It seems to be a common theme lol

I will have a look into it, but generally the system has been silent after changing the thermal paste and cleaning the dust. It's mainly certain types of games causing issues, along with some slow system loading (this usually fixes itself after a reboot or two).

If it's still using the original hard drive, would recommend swapping it out for a newer more modern one, thing is almost 16 years old now. As for the laser, the part number is KES-400A

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252552311258?hash=item3acd4a71da:g:hjMAAMXQhpdR0KG0&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4HeXfGGwcuy2fbg3KesLmiC485qviUQb06o0k0L6tmnbKcpuUNzQb9wWCzCs7aZ9kYl6AD%2F1JgnSdr3NuYWGYQfyiZ5r6CV0jYr9u0J5Vm%2FG1%2FhSnm9yQkfqYidlLNQKKfgobVCA3afmSF9VgxwoPEj4cKiAVHsbPeOM6Kv6UFcKqhyMIcMX5JjYUf8Bt05TqaOkkmMpVxdGLD%2FwdBcmRyyQX2NPrskav3VWATyHfJV51pSl8GAZ%2Fv2c3A9OBZN7llKWfB6hQCsDXfosRkwrycPHUvy1aeqGaLKo42DhHpA8|tkp%3ABFBMpP7Lrt1g

You should be able to find an equivalent seller on your regions ebay

• Like 1