Super Mario Bros Movie by Illumintal Films and Nintendo trailer drops Thursday as Nintendo Direct

Alantor32

On 09/02/2023 at 0:48 PM, The Arizona Ranger said:

*Snip*

The first of these new posters fucking slaps, the rest look pretty damn good too.

Edited by Dry

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the film about an hour or two before posting and yeah, I thought it was pretty good.

Easily Illumination's best film out of their entire catalogue, though I did go into it expecting such.

Spoiler

Bowser and Donkey Kong are my two favourite characters in the feature. Chris Pratt is far from a perfect Mario but believe me, his performance could've been a whole a lot worse (in my opinion).

After denying Miles "Tails" Prower ten additional minutes of screentime as Sonic's sole sidekick in favour of "Bridezilla", I'd say the The Super Mario Bros. Movie absolutely deserves to take Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022)'s title as the highest grossing video game film adaptaion for the next... Well, who knows how may years? Of course, this is under the current assumption that it will (it's Super Mario and freaking Illumination, how could it not?).

Edited by Dry

Just got home from the theatre, and I have to say I thought the movie was a perfect 10/10 for me! I went in with barely any expectations and I was blown away by everything!

The music is extremely nostalgic of course, hearing so many of my favourite childhood video game themes was enough to make me tear up at times (no movie has ever made me do this fyi)! I was humming along to some of the obvious Mario themes like the Main theme, Underground, Bob-omb Battlefield, but even some surprise songs that I was not expecting (see the spoiler below if you don't mind reading about it)!

The cast was great, I even went in expecting myself to hate Chris Pratt's voice but he did a solid job! Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong was fantastic as was Jack Black as Bowser! They even put a little bit of their own quirks/talents into the movie which also added to the enjoyment factor! There's also a really cute character with an insane attitude haha

Finally, lots of little easter eggs throughout the movie, like a sticker with Jump Man written on it, to a French cafe that translates into Duck Hunt, and brief but awesome cameos from characters from the series!

For me, the nostalgic themes and characters really brought back childhood memories, and even more so personally because I got into learning video game music on piano because of the Super Mario Main Theme, so to come full circle just has such an amazing feeling!

Spoiler stuff that I enjoyed:

Spoiler

Right after the Plumbing commercial, when making fun of the stereotyped voices, Charles Martinet makes a surprise voice cameo for a quick line. I lost it right away!

Hearing the DK rap from DK64 when Mario meets DK! And also seeing Tiny, Lanky and Chunky Kong in the crowd when Cranky tells Diddy to shut up! 

Seth Rogen did his trademark laugh in a close-up scene with Mario. xD Also I believe the Kong at the entrance of the Kingdom was Funky Kong!

Bowser's musical interludes about "Peaches," such a Jack Black thing to do! Also liked that the piano was called "Ludwig Von Koopa"

The Mario Kart segment on Rainbow Road with the Blue Shell!

The final song that played before the credits was Mr Blue Sky, which was a nod to Guardians of the Galaxy which also starred Chris Pratt!

• 2 weeks later...
On 05.04.2023 at 2:42 PM, Dry said:

I'd say the The Super Mario Bros. Movie absolutely deserves to take Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022)'s title as the highest grossing video game film adaptaion for the next... Well, who knows how may years? Of course, this is under the current assumption that it will (it's Super Mario and freaking Illumination, how could it not?).

Yeah, it has surpassed Sonic 2's total box office earnings already and easily taken the number 1 spot as far as video game movies go. Hard to say for how long though. 

• Like 1

On 16/4/2023 at 2:30 AM, Slava said:

Yeah, it has surpassed Sonic 2's total box office earnings already and easily taken the number 1 spot as far as video game movies go. Hard to say for how long though. 

Not only that, it also became the animated feature film with the most successful box office opening of all time (and yes, I'm about a week late to posting this):

Edited by Dry
  • Like 1