Kill Your Completion is back with it's 19th Iteration

Aargh! 2 more full playthroughs done and the Sherlock trophy still won’t pop. I’d read that the 1.02 update which I am playing fixed this but still having issues. Thought maybe the problem was that I was playing it on PS5 but did another playthrough on PS4 and still no go. I’ll probably try 1 more run as it takes about 2 hrs speedrunning, though the supposed skip text button doesn’t seem to have any effect on actually skipping text.  I’ve looked around and I’ll try something else and see if it works but score dropped to 6.5/10 for this crap. This was why I had held off on this game and played it now because I thought it had been fixed.

Trophies 45/47, 97% for A rank

2 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Aargh! 2 more full playthroughs done and the Sherlock trophy still won’t pop. I’d read that the 1.02 update which I am playing fixed this but still having issues. Thought maybe the problem was that I was playing it on PS5 but did another playthrough on PS4 and still no go. I’ll probably try 1 more run as it takes about 2 hrs speedrunning, though the supposed skip text button doesn’t seem to have any effect on actually skipping text.  I’ve looked around and I’ll try something else and see if it works but score dropped to 6.5/10 for this crap. This was why I had held off on this game and played it now because I thought it had been fixed.

Trophies 45/47, 97% for A rank

I thought the only way to get that trophy was playing the physical version. of the game. That was the case for me at least.

9 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

I thought the only way to get that trophy was playing the physical version. of the game. That was the case for me at least.

Everything I had read was that the new patch for 1.02 had fixed it, though some people still had issues. I’m giving it one more try during this event and then I’ll mess with it later and experiment around.

1 hour ago, Phantochi said:

unfortunately i will be dropping out of the event as well, life did a 180 and i won't be able to continue with my list for the next few weeks, i'm sorry. Make sure to keep reviews coming as i'll be reading them all. enjoy the event!!

Hope everything works itself out. Went through a long rough patch myself a few years ago and it’s good to remember that this is a hobby and can always wait while you sort life out. Take care.

On my gaming side, I got the trophy to pop.  The trophy gets invalidated when you press L3 or R3 (asking for a hint) at any time other than when the game makes you do it once as a tutorial. A guide I had found recommended turning off all the hints data in the options menu in order to effectively shut them off but this was not working for me so I followed another suggestion in that I turned a the hints data on so that if I somehow pressed L3/R3 accidentally I would know right away with a mass onscreen data reveal. I was then extremely careful using the joysticks for the duration. The reveal never happened and the trophy popped after the credits on the return to the main menu so I got the plat, NA digital copy with update 1.02. 

Time played: 11 hrs (5 hrs + 3x2 hrs)

Trophies earned: 47/47, 100% for S rank

Final score: 7/10

Got over the trophy peeve and went back to my original score for the game.

Completion rate: 87.61% (-0.15% for the event)

Next game: Game #5: Fear Effect Sedna

Edited by Kevvik
  • Like 4

Well, this was an unproductive week, no thanks to Pokemon Scarlet and Violet coming out and me procrasing because I wanted to catch Pokemon. xD

@Kevvik, glad to see you got that trophy issue worked out. I am annoyed how something as sensitive as L3/R3 can invalidate a platinum. Devs, take a note: If you MUST Use the analog presses for one of your mechanics, make sure that you don't center a trophy about NOT using it as some people have big thumbs and stupidly press the analog sticks in without noting it. ?

Game #4: Ni no Kuni Remastered

Revisit Review

2Le5826d.png

I only got two trophies in this whole six days, even adding a sixth day. If I hadn't gotten bored with LEGO Star Wars, I would have probably just not taken the extra day exploring Ni No Kuni and instead spent the day that would have been the last for LEGO Star Wars just completing space missions for Kyber Bricks. :P

No joke: The last two days I spent on this game were just going through the Golden Grove and then doing some quests in Al Mamoon, the second city. This is typical as this game is light on the story trophies, despite having the deepest story about a boy who awakens a magical fairy who makes the boy a wizard and takes him to his world to find the boy's mother's counterpart and save her to save the real mom. Did I lose you? I'm not surprised. This game's story is very complex and has many twists and it's long, very long. The fact that the only trophies i got were for entering the new world and for beating the first boss(I fought two more bosses but got bupkis from them) shows that Level-5, the creators of this, don't care jack about trophies, they want you to play the game and relax with it, not grind. I mean, instead of earning a trophy for completing 10 errands(the game's side-quests), you have to get FIFTEEN, and that's not happening until you beat the very dangerous boss known as the Nightmares, which I won't do in this session as I'm only Level 14 and this nightmare boss is TOUGH even at that level. :(

I've have yet to actually be able to recruit familiars. For all my love of Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, this game's "Pokemon" system of familiar capturing is inane and frrustating... and you have to get 250 unique familiars for a trophy. Yeah, the grind is REAL, which is why I have put the game down and won't pick it back up until 2023. ?

Don't get me wrong, the graphics were done by Studio Ghibli, which you may recall from fan favorites like Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro. They didn't hold back on the looks and cinematic movies. It's not Persona 5 Royal, but it's breathtaking. This is why you should never skip cutscenes in a first play.

A great game, but very long and stingy on the trophies. Don't expect to push past 10% until you get your third party member and get to the Fairy Village after a brief fight with the game's big bad, Shadar the Dark Djinn. ;)

If anyone murdered my completion, it's this title.

Time Played: Didn't check the in-game timer, but at least 5 hours, 30 minutes
Trophies Earned: 2 / 34 (2%)

Unearned Trophies: 210 (Well, not really dead - I've been earning Persona 5 Royal trophies in the meantime :P)
New Completion: 92.65%

Next game up for the chopping block...

L76860a.png

It's time I got this started. Let's do this. ^_^

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 4

KYC 19

Game No. 3
L2c9b72.png

Playing Time: 3 hours

Trophies Earned 8/38 (11% ranking)

Thoughts: In keeping with KYC tradition, I am falling behind with reviews. But nice job everyone else, there’s lots of games I want to check out!

This one however, probably deserves a skip. The first taste is good, but it goes flat after a few hours. Not really sure how you categorize this one. It’s story-driven, you have an open map to walk around on, there’s an element of taking care of your character with health and money (though I don’t think it really matters), and the gameplay is best described as odd. 
  You start out as a stick figure on a giant map of the USA. Only major cities like Boston, Nashville and Miami are marked, though all the state lines are represented. You walk (or hitchhike) around until you spot what resembles floating orbs on the map. Once you interact with the orb, the game’s narrator begins to tell a story. Sometimes the story is only 2-3 sentences. Sometimes the story involves choices for you to make in it, and the story might last for half a page. Once the story is finished, it is filed away in a stack of tarot cards. The stories aren’t all that great bc they’re so short, but they’re worth listening to bc the narrator sounds exactly like Sam Elliott. Giddy up! 
  Eventually, you will come across campsites. When you stop into the camp, you will interact with a character and they will tell a little backstory about themselves. (The information being picked up is making it evident that the era being represented is most likely the Great Depression.). Then the character will ask for a specific kind of story. It could be sad, scary, exciting, etc. Your Tarot deck then opens up and you try to pick a story that will elicit the emotion they requested. If successful, an eye on the screen will slightly open. Your goal is to get the eye fully open. Sometimes, you have an arsenal of stories of a specific emotion and it is easy to open the eye. Other times, you haven’t discovered enough stories and it’s hard to meet the person’s request. I can’t tell yet, if this eye mechanism is tied to trophy requirements yet. God, I hope not. 
  And…that’s pretty much it. The gameplay doesn’t evolve after the first 15 minutes. I’ve managed to make it down the entire Eastern Seaboard and have run into a half dozen camps. The gameplay hasn’t really changed, except for when you meet a person for the second time in a camp, the first stories you told them are locked bc they don’t want you to repeat it. So best to track down more stories to have more options. Or, sometimes you rehear a story you have told, but it has been embellished by others and you can reuse it. 
  The game has really nailed the artsy-fartsy theme with the graphics (rustic would be a good word), the music (Americana folk/ country) and the narration.  I just don’t know if that can carry a game 10-15 hours for a platinum run. 
Grade: :silver: and that’s probably a bit generous. 

Next game: Hot Wheels Unleashed

• Like 4

Game #5 Preview:
Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition

57Lff8a87.png

One of my favorite game series is Dragon Quest. I've played and cleared every Dragon Quest up to Dragon Quest 9. Sadly, Dragon Quest 10 is an MMO exclusive to Japan because they saw how FFXIV was getting toxic profanity-spewing players(remember, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest now fly under the same banner ^_^) and decided "Nope, one localized MMO is good enough" so we never got the amazing stuff the Japanese did. There's still hope for a single-player Dragon Quest X as they announced a title based on that MMO, but I am not holding my breath.

Instead they skipped a title to come to this, Dragon Quest XI. I've played it several times, and I even beat the main story on the Switch and completed one of the post-game dungeons... all in 2D mode. Yes, this version of the game lets you play in classic mode with graphics and random encounters just like in one of the DS remakes of Dragon Quests IV-VI. However, I think I am being unfair to the game's 3D elements, so I will try to play this session without switching to 2D mode(except when they forced you to for the optional new town, Toppleton, which has a sidequest which is a love letter to the ten games before this one :D) so I can experience it for myself.

• Like 3

Game #5 - Close to the Sun - Preview

L5d02ed.png

Developer: Storm in a Teacup

Publisher: Wired Productions

Genre: Adventure

Price: 24,99€

Not quite sure what to expect of this game. Seems to be somehwat of a walking simulator with focus on puzzles, from what I recall watching of it.

I've played a handful of games from this publisher before. Some were better than others and I think I only didn't like Those Who Remain. Same publisher from Deliver us the Moon by the way. Never played anything made by this developer though, so it's going to be some kind of new experience at least.

Won't have time to start today, but I'm planing to boot it up tomorrow after work.

• Like 2

Lad09a4.png

The Hollow Knight Simulator

Trophies Earned: 28/30 - 97%

Completion Percentage: 70.42% : -0.11%

Personal Arbitrary Rating: 5/10

Times I used the Flip Power: 2

Since Hollow Knight came out in 2017 it created a new standard for the Metroidvania. Inevitably, there would be clones, spiritual successors and copycats. Gleamlight looks like this should be the case because of how it is portrayed. The title screen as seen above is almost an equivalent image to when the knight challenges the Radiance, the protagonist uses a sword or some sort of sharp instrument to attack the enemies in the game and you unlock powers after defeating certain bosses. However, Gleamlights similarities peter out from this point and all sense of originality that is shown within the game is bogged down with technical issues, terrible balancing and story-telling which is vacant and non-existent. 

You play as an unnamed character who finds a sword stuck in the ground. The character then decides to stab themselves, imbuing them with colour and now having the sword to attack things. You progress from screen to screen, with enemies spouting red crystals willing to attack you if you come close. Some rush you, some jump on you, some lazily spike you if you get too close, all are generally easy to dispatch. If you take damage, you will only be able to gain 'life' back if you hit enemies and steal their 'life' which is depicted as red crystal pieces. As you progress, the protagonist has to destroy crystal checkpoints to unlock doors to progress. Early in the game they are easy to access and a maximum of 3 to find to escape to the next area but soon you will be looking for them in all corners and on the roof to progress. Coming across the first boss in the game, I was expecting a challenge but sadly the mechanics are what make the boss fights partly a joke. To gain health you hit enemies, you hit enemies to reduce their health; you see the conundrum that happens. Unless you get hit multiple times in a row without hitting back, you can survive nearly indefinitely. Further onwards, you meet a flying boss and finally a boss that looks like you but in a back robe. After defeating the black robed foe, the game ends.

Well, nearly. The credits roll and the game looks like it is glitching out and puts you back to the title screen, the glitching continues. If you leave the controller alone, it will reload the game through the glitches and the game will continue with the protagonist taking the last bosses sword and unlocking another way out. After this, you will come across about 6 bosses, 3 of them you fought already and you gain a lot of movement abilities but no offensive abilities besides a charge attack which is used to break through the new bosses defences to fully damage the boss. Finally you come to what looks like a walking trash compactor, defeat that as the last boss and then you die from the toxic smog that is released from the machine you just destroyed.

I described all of this because there are no signposts, no map, no help, no words, no text boxes, nothing that helps you figure out what is happening or what you need to do or how to get anywhere. This was all through a bit of luck and because I watched a video a while ago that gave a small run down of how to get the trophies in the game. To complete everything in the game you need to do 2 and half playthroughs of the game and most likely you will still have one trophy left that you have to grind for even though it shouldn't take that long. There is nothing in game to describe the story, no backstory, no text whatsoever to give you clues as to do what you need to do to get the 'True' ending or any ending at all. Credit goes to Platinum SOS for this video to give a spoiler free way of completing the game in the best way.

Trophy-wise, the game is very easy when you know what to do. Most for killing the bosses and 5 ending trophies. The one that will cause issue is the Next Body trophy which requires 100 deaths. That sounds like an easy ask, but after a while of collecting powers you seem to become nearly invincible, taking in excess of 20 hits before dying. This makes the second playthrough trivial but also any enemy loses its fear factor. 

Overall, this is a very pretty looking game, but the aesthetic wears thin very quickly, the combat is repetitive and dull, the enemies are ineffectual after the first 'playthrough' and the game is so short on context that it borders on learning sign language. It's a game that has some enjoyable moments, but it fails to live up to any expectation as a metroidvania or a good platformer.

Next Game - Rainswept

P.S - I have finished my Deliver us the Moon review.

P.P.S - I will have a review on Rainswept quite soon as it finished a lot quicker than expected.

Edited by Psy-Tychist
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, purgta said:

Game #4 Coffee Talk

hero

Coffee Talk is a visual novel where you are a barista in a coffee shop, serving drinks and listening to the problems of your customers. It is a lot like a more chill VA-11 Hall-A if anyone has played it. The game is set in modern day Seattle where earth is also populated by many fantasy characters. The game is pretty cozy.

The only gameplay aspect is picking three ingredients to make a coffee. There are no choices to make other than what drink to serve customers. The game looks very nice and has interesting characters. Not every character arc has a satisfying conclusion. The couple having relationship issues and the father and his kid are the only story arcs I felt had a proper conclusion. The others just kind of ended. The only character I disliked was the main character. They felt annoyingly bland.

I did enjoy the game quite a bit. The story did not really need fantasy characters to work but I did enjoy them. The developer is currently making a sequel and I will probably end up picking it up. The game was a bit shorter than I was expecting. There are 14 days and each one is not too long. I think it is the kind of game that plays better on a handheld than on a console. Shame there is no Vita 2.

I like the idea of this game, is it easier or better to do it in small bursts? Might have to pick it up sometime.

@Kevvik you have 4 games on your list that I have in my backlog that I haven't tried yet (Spiritfarer, Valthirian Arc, Silence and Fear Effect Sedna) and it's giving me valuable insights about whether I will enjoy them or not. By the looks of it, Spiritfarer is going to be top of my list.

19 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

KYC 19

Game No. 3
L2c9b72.png

Playing Time: 3 hours

Trophies Earned 8/38 (11% ranking)

Thoughts:  This one however, probably deserves a skip. The first taste is good, but it goes flat after a few hours. 
  The game has really nailed the artsy-fartsy theme with the graphics (rustic would be a good word), the music (Americana folk/ country) and the narration.  I just don’t know if that can carry a game 10-15 hours for a platinum run. 

These two lines make me feel that I will either enjoy the slow burn or follow your thoughts exactly. I hoped for more from this and I'll see if this is my cuppa tea.

5 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Game #5 - Close to the Sun - Preview

L5d02ed.png

Developer: Storm in a Teacup

Publisher: Wired Productions

Genre: Adventure

Price: 24,99€

Not quite sure what to expect of this game. Seems to be somehwat of a walking simulator with focus on puzzles, from what I recall watching of it.

It is a walking simulator as much as Deliver us the Moon is. The main difference is the aesthetic and that it does have some genuinely creepy moments at times. I personally really enjoyed the 1920's look and feel with some Rapture-esque vibes thrown in, but you will need 2/3 playthroughs to get that Plat. Hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Psy-Tychist said:

@Kevvik you have 4 games on your list that I have in my backlog that I haven't tried yet (Spiritfarer, Valthirian Arc, Silence and Fear Effect Sedna) and it's giving me valuable insights about whether I will enjoy them or not. By the looks of it, Spiritfarer is going to be top of my list.

Spiritfarer sits with several others on my pleasant surprises list for this year and is probably at the top of that list for me.  The others are The Artful Escape, Observation and Observer: System Redux. I found all to be way more enjoyable than expected.  I had a number of other games this year that I enjoyed but these ones were unique in that I really had no expectations going in as compared to something like P4G where my expectations going in were fairly high.

Just sitting here watching the Macy's Day Parade on Youtube. I miss the days when I could turn on the TV and get a special where celebs would talk about their plans for Thanksgiving and wish each other happy holidays and they'd show cool musical skits and videos from families around the world. *sigh*

Well, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone, and I hope you guys are doing well on your challenge. I'm just loafing around for the last two games as I want to plan out how to get those platinums. Now, I love Dragon Quest games, but XI really didn't stick as much as IX and VIII did. From what I saw in the trailers, Dragon Quest XII is going to be even more dark and gritty and I don't know if I like the direction it's going. :(

FFXII is the last game and boy howdy will it be tedious.

• Like 1

Game #5 - Close to the Sun - Final Impressions

L5d02ed.png

Time played: 2-3h

Trophies earned: 14/30

Since I don't know, if I find time to play this today, I'll wrap it up now.

I've made it to chapter 6 and so far it's been a decent enough experience.

Visually it's nice. The movement reminds me somewhat of We Happy Few, and the game has far more jumpscares than I thought it would.  The artstyle does resemble the one from the Bioshock series, no doubt. This game on the PS5 had some graphics issues at the beginning, similar to Darksiders 3.

The sound design is something I've had an issue with. Sound effects are fine, but the sound-mixing for the voice is not great. The is a discrepancy in volume of the protagonists voice that I find irritating.

Gameplay-wise it's a lot of going through corridors and through rooms, looking for puzzle solutions. THe run is more of a jog and the chase scenes that have been popping up so far have been a minor nuisance. So long they don't combine both  puzzle solving and being chased into one sequence I won't hate on it too much.

Still the game is not grabbing me all that much. Maybe it gets better further on, but at this point I'll give it a 6/10.

• Like 4

4Ld160e0.png

Game #5 Revisit: Dragon Quest XI S

This game was something I had wanted to try out, being a big Dragon Quest fan. (I completed 100% every Dragon Quest game up to IX. Yes, even the stupid download bar quests you only get from going online with Dragon Quest IX, I did them all. ^_^) So this game was supposed to be fun, right? Well... not really.

Since the game had been hyped a lot since before it was the S edition, I'll just spare you the summary and give a brief overview on what happened to my character, who I named Naoto for Persona 4 Golden reasons. :P Naoto and his friend Gemma climbed a mountain, nearly got eaten by a Mad Condor, got saved by a divine mark on the main's hand, finds out he's the chosen one, and travels to the capital of Heliodor, only for the King to arrest him under false pretense and throw him in the dungeons, where a thief called Erik helps him escape, joins up with him, and they sneak back into town to find a treasure Erik had given his old friend, only to find out that said friend stowed it away in a tomb so now we have to go through the Manglegrove to get to that tomb and get the treasure back.

That's as far as I got and if that doesn't whet your appetite, I dunno what will. xD

While you can play in 2D mode and play it like a classic Dragon Quest, the 3D mode(which was the only mode in the original Dragon Quest XI) has some perks like ultra-fast battling so grinding doesn't take as long. In fact, it was so fast that I was goofing around in AFK mode trying to rack up the 3 hours needed for me to qualify this game in the event. :D

Regardless, this game is pretty fun and I will look forward to revisiting it to get the platinum.

EDIT: Forgot to put the stats. Thankfully I didn't upload my trophies as I was starting the last game. Oopsie! :(

Time Played: 3 hours, 4 minutes
Trophies Earned: 4 / 57 (5%)

Unearned Trophies: 252
New Completion: 91.73%

And now for the Final Game...

L8f6609.png

Yeah, this is going to be... something. :( Thank Arceus this is the last game I have to play for the event.

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 4

33L3897d9.png
Final Game Preview
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

THIS GAME.

I have stopped caring about the Final Fantasy series. This game was the one that dropped me off. Now, I did enjoy Final Fantasy XIV, it is a great MMO... but it's an MMO and therefore has its own problems, namely you have to be online. This game has the feel of an MMO(or Final Fantasy VII Remake) without the hassle of being online.

If you've played FFXIV and tried to unlock Bozja, you had to experience the alliance raids known as "Return to Ivalice" and met a character or two who got their start in this game, namely a certain feminine Viera. All in all, this game is pretty dope but getting the platinum is pretty difficult and not for the faint of heart... me, I'm more crazy. :P

• Like 4

Game #8: Green Hell

Lbd4b2f.png

Trophies: 11 of 41 (15%)

Completion: 93.95% (-0.37%, -3.05% from start)

This ended up being a pretty interesting survival game.  I tried playing it without looking anything about the game up, which went terribly until I started figuring things out by trial and error.  However, I don't think this game is really that hard: each death I had could have been prevented with more knowledge of how the game worked, what resources were available or what I could craft.  Death by food poisoning (learned not to eat the bad mushrooms).  Death by jaguar (learned how to make a bow & arrows).

One of the more interesting things is that your survival needs are split up much more than in other games I've played.  You need to get enough different kinds of food to provide enough protein, fats, and carbohydrates instead of just eating whatever to keep your hunger bar filled up as is the usual case in these kind of games.  There's also your mental state to take care of which is tracked in game with a "sanity" gage (that's the second game in a row where I'm tasked with trying to maintain my sanity, lol).  Eating insects instead of better food, getting stung by bees, letting leeches stay attached too long, not getting enough sleep and other things which I probably haven't fully explored yet can reduce your sanity.  I'm not sure what happens when your sanity gets too low, but at about half you start hearing voices telling you you're worthless and you're gonna die, so it's probably not a good idea to let it fall all the way down!  You can improve your sanity by "good" actions like getting a full night's sleep, staying for extended time over, or eating some food like cooked meat.

Resources keep respawning even on the harder difficulties, so it doesn't look like this is a game where scarcity will become a problem.  Foraging for food is important early on, but you can also craft some farming plots and greatly reduce your need to forage as long as you stay near that area.  Overall, it looks like there's a lot of building/crafting options and I even found an iron ore deposit and melted some iron ore in a forge that I built out of mud from a nearby river.  It's apparently possible to cast the iron and use it to make tools or armor, but I haven't had time to figure it out yet.

Overall, this looks like a well thought out survival game that's got a lot of depth to it and where death is very possible but also very avoidable with enough knowledge, attention and the right equipment.  I'm looking forward to playing it some more later.

Game #9 Preview

L9ecc72.png

Splasher

This is a hard platformer that some people around here have said is harder to platinum than Super Meat Boy.  Might as well get it started and see how it goes.

• Like 4