So This Wii U Title Comes On Here

I remember this thing. Never played it myself, but it always held the very dubious reputation amongst the platform's install base of being one of the worst games ever released for Wii U. It has a Metacritic score of 14/100. It's nothing short of confounding that it's found its way to the PlayStation 4.

How many people do you think are going to buy it anyway despite it being widely considered miserable, just because it has an easy Platinum?

Edited by blue_blur_98

I knew I recognized this from somewhere...

5 hours ago, RuinousOne25 said:

I find two reasons why they’d get it, because the Wii U eShop along with the 3DS is shutting down soon.  Another is…

morbid curiosity?

I did buy it on Wii U because of morbid curiosity. Will not buy it a second time.

4 hours ago, iriihutoR84 said:

It's a 10 minute plat. We spam a button for 10 minutes while watching a hedgehog flash on the screen so this game is a step up compared to that. It'll sell and it won't be the worst PS4/PS5 game.

Yep. It is the worst Wii U game. Sadly, because of all the shovelware, it will be better than hundreds of PlayStation games.

At this price point, I'll probably get it for a short horror/psycho walking sim I can play in one session. For one bc I barely get to play uninterrupted since having a kid and the plot description actually had me interested. If the story is bad, well it's been a quick plat. If the story actually has something to it, even better.

"This is a title that didn't reach it's funding goal on indiegogo but they realised it anyway!" Scott the woz in his worst video games according to metacrtic video

"it's horror but without the horror. actually it's scary when you analyse it all" scott the woz in the same video

if i recall correctly he said the game had no jump scares but a twist ending, where you go to a medical facility on a quest to find your father but then wake up on a island. wow such a interesting twist.

8 hours ago, Bigg-E_Beats said:

Even though the reception for the original 2014 game was horrendous, it gathered an actual group of fans who enjoyed the game for what it was. (It was my first full game ever created - I was very inexperienced) I released this version on PlayStation basically as a fan service project for all the original fans still following my work, as well as just putting it out there for a new generation of players to see the original game before I fully remake the game in HD, attempting to make a great game out of the original concept. I had announced the full remake titled - The Letter: The Nightmare Returns on my YouTube channel about a year ago I suppose.

I did not want to spend ages on this version of the game, as I am rebuilding a new game from the ground up, but I did spend some time improving some things from the Wii U game in case any of you had ever played that version, and spoiler alert - that version is not great. The PS version comes with a graphics "de-make", dropping it to the low res look and a bit of a PS1 aesthetic. I think it helps the atmosphere a bit. Also fog and other post processing effects got added to this version. A few bug fixes, better UI, a new more functional pause screen, animations on story text, and a few new interactive elements were also added.

Hey, it is what it is. If any of you check out the game I hope you enjoy it, and maybe give some of my newer games like Tilting Tiles or Mighty Math a shot =D

If you cannot tell - I am the person who developed this game, what up.

-Eli

It was one of the games I thought I should grab before the Wii U shop shut down. Makes sense to release it on something else so it doesn’t disappear forever. 

• Like 2

On 2022-11-07 at 8:26 PM, LC-Fraggers said:

I'll get it because it's a horror game, regardless of how pants it is.

Between this and Fatal Frame IV, I hope this opens the floodgates for Wii horror ports and we get Escape from Bug Island and that dogshit Ju-on game on here too. 

A port of Escape from Bug Island would be incredible! Fingers crossed. I’m honestly still in shock we’re getting Fatal Frame IV. I couldn’t be happier!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moomba said:

It was one of the games I thought I should grab before the Wii U shop shut down. Makes sense to release it on something else so it doesn’t disappear forever. 

Thanks! I kinda thought the same thing. A few of our oldest games will be gone forever when Wii U is gone.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:14 AM, Bigg-E_Beats said:

Even though the reception for the original 2014 game was horrendous, it gathered an actual group of fans who enjoyed the game for what it was. (It was my first full game ever created - I was very inexperienced) I released this version on PlayStation basically as a fan service project for all the original fans still following my work, as well as just putting it out there for a new generation of players to see the original game before I fully remake the game in HD, attempting to make a great game out of the original concept. I had announced the full remake titled - The Letter: The Nightmare Returns on my YouTube channel about a year ago I suppose.

I did not want to spend ages on this version of the game, as I am rebuilding a new game from the ground up, but I did spend some time improving some things from the Wii U game in case any of you had ever played that version, and spoiler alert - that version is not great. The PS version comes with a graphics "de-make", dropping it to the low res look and a bit of a PS1 aesthetic. I think it helps the atmosphere a bit. Also fog and other post processing effects got added to this version. A few bug fixes, better UI, a new more functional pause screen, animations on story text, and a few new interactive elements were also added.

Hey, it is what it is. If any of you check out the game I hope you enjoy it, and maybe give some of my newer games like Tilting Tiles or Mighty Math a shot =D

If you cannot tell - I am the person who developed this game, what up.

-Eli

You'll get no guff from me.  Even more and especially with the explanation.  Respect. 

• Like 1

Okay, so after playing, I think it's actually quite nice.

Going in with no or realistic expectations it's solid.

Knowing the background from the dev explanation above, for the asking price it was a nice hour of fun.

Audio and visuals are the right amount of creepy to keep you on your toes.

Consider it a creepy piece of art.

Compared to other cheap plats, this has at least some gameplay. It doesn't appear to be bugged, either.

Avoid if you're looking for AAA content, that's fine.

Now I never saw the original, it might have been worse, looking at the changes to this version.

But don't hate on a small dev unless you can prove to do better.

Edited by DerNachtkater
Added sentence
  • Like 1