Which armor sets to invest in?

TragicKingdom50

6 hours ago, thesahinonur said:

OK my bad not adding spoiler tag and I am very sorry for spoilng for you and others.

It's cool. I still had no idea who that was after you mentioned them so the name was less important than who that person actually was. Just remember for next time. ?

And in answer to your question, yes, this set up is fine for that boss, although any set up would be OK for this boss since they're quite easy if you're level 9 with health and rage maxed out. Make sure your companion's arrows are mostly stun (there's only one instance during that fight where you'll need to switch arrows) and that you have a resurrection stone just in case. Play aggressively and don't let the boss gain distance.

1 hour ago, Optinooby said:

Muspelheim naturally gets you a lot of of materials as you must play 24 trials altogether for the trophy there (not 15 as suggested around the net). Technically 12 unique trials, but 24 altogether.

Wait what? There are 15 different trials -- how do you get the platinum by only playing 12 of them?

41 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

Wait what? There are 15 different trials -- how do you get the platinum by only playing 12 of them?

You dont have to kill the Soul Eater or Phantom in Vanaheim Crater either!!

Because you dont have to do trial 3 for the first 3 swords, there literally no favour that wants you to even!!

You do Trials 1 and 2 for each of the 3 first swords for 6 trials. That then unlocks the final challenge.

The final challenge requires you to do the 6 unique trials on the special sword, NOT the 3 new trials on the 3 basic swords!!

And because you can pick any trials on each of the 3 basic swords to unlock the special trials, you dont actually have to do trial 3 on the basic swords!

In theory anyway, I am to test this on my main account, but seems to me it will work!!

Trial 3 on one of the swords is the quickest anyway so still wants doing on that sword, but the other 2 swords have different trials that are quicker

Edited by Optinooby

You dont have to kill the Soul Eater or Phantom in Vanaheim Crater either!!

You do have at at least kill the Soul Eater there. My trophy didn't pop after killing all dragons/drakes in the crater -- I then went back and killed the Soul Eater in the Plains and the trophy then popped.

In theory anyway, I am to test this on my main account, but seems to me it will work!!

Yeah, I'd definitely test it. Doesn't make much of a difference either way, but the wording of the trophy suggests that all 15 trials are needed, not just the favors related to them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

You do have at at least kill the Soul Eater there. My trophy didn't pop after killing all dragons/drakes in the crater -- I then went back and killed the Soul Eater in the Plains and the trophy then popped.

Yeah, I'd definitely test it. Doesn't make much of a difference either way, but the wording of the trophy suggests that all 15 trials are needed, not just the favors related to them.

Thank you mate for that confirmation. What about the Phantom, had you killed that also?

5 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Thank you mate for that confirmation. What about the Phantom, had you killed that also?

Yeah, I'd killed the Phantom, but I killed it much earlier so I don't know whether or not it's needed.

Edit: Also, on the topic of armor. Surtr's waist and arms have a great skill and fantastic stats, and very importantly are the only decent armor in the game that give you a big boost to vitality. This is important because you need huge vitality (170!) to equip the 3 best amulet enchantments (the two regeneration ones, and the one that makes you invincible when your health gets low). So wear those two pieces of Surtr's armor, along with those 3 enchantments, and Steinbjorn's chest (for huge defence) and you're basically invincible, even when facing the post-game superbosses.

Edited by NathanielJohn
  • Like 2

I use the Stun Duration set + Health Regen on grab chest (which triggers off a boss stun bar even though you can't grab some of them). It's been working very nicely on Give me God of War. But I've been eyeing the slow time on last minute dodge set lately as things seem to be getting stunned faster the further I get.

8 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Just some info in terms exploration and efficiency:

You literally get enough to max upgrade a few armor sets even if you dont pick up anything else except for platinum requirements.

Most my realms are at 50-70% completion only after platinum.

Muspelheim naturally gets you a lot of of materials as you must play 24 trials altogether for the trophy there (not 15 as suggested around the net). Technically 12 unique trials, but 24 altogether.

Vanaheim, The Crater is your biggest earner btw. You want to do that as soon as possible really, straight after story. All you have to do is smash a few crystals along the way, then lob them in the well and you will get a hundred or so of almost every lower-mid tier resource!!

I finished the story getting nothing, I couldnt upgrade nothing, but as soon as I finished The Crater in Vanaheim, I can almost max upgrade loads of equipment. Think I go from Level 5 or 6, straight to Level 8.

Its crazy how much materials they give you in Vanaheim The Crater actually in so little time. It feels to me in a way that its the replacement for GOW 1 Niflheim in this game.

Not sure if mentioned anywhere, Ive not looked into armour too much personally, but in Muspelheim, you will naturally get the Surtyr set which gives 40% damage reduction to most attacks!

You can do the crater after the second trip to Vanaheim in the story.  The armor you get from the well by throwing in the big crystals is pretty powerful too.

I’m probably 3/4 way through the story and know there’s some better sets in late game/post-game that are coming down the line, but personally I’d recommend Linda’s Lost Set for the following reasons:

1. Very easy to obtain. You can obtain it early/mid game during your first trip to Vanaheim by simply starting Lunda’s quest, then finding the 3 pieces along the quest path and having Lunda restore it for you.

2. It basically gives you a permanent 40% damage boost provided you poison your enemies first (bare-handed attacks, blocks/parrys, Hilt of Dainsleif relic all apply poison near instantly). Extremely OP against bosses and mini-bosses and great for aggressive players.

3. Good all around stats & will carry you all the way into the end game if you so choose. 

Also I haven’t really tried it yet or seen anyone mention it, but I’m planning to give the Guptimaor’s set a little whirl once I upgrade it a bit. It looks like the best set for a runic build so far. It has a moderate chance to restore 70% of your cooldown when using runic attacks & relics, as well as providing you with constant health and ragestone drops. With the right setup you could probably just spam runic attacks and your spartan rage constantly for insane DPS, which was basically the strategy I used in GoW 2018 to kill the Valkyries.

Anyone upgraded it and tested it out?

2 hours ago, Snake2410 said:

You can do the crater after the second trip to Vanaheim in the story.  The armor you get from the well by throwing in the big crystals is pretty powerful too.

You can, but you cant do Freyas favour in Vanaheim at that time or Stag for all Seasons, so I leave it all till endgame so that i can do all Vanaheim at the same time. I know you can back to the squirrel for the stag favour at this time, but it means more warping.

Im thinking about times travelling between realms. it can take a while so I try to limit trips

Edited by Optinooby

On 11/18/2022 at 6:55 PM, Optinooby said:

You can, but you cant do Freyas favour in Vanaheim at that time or Stag for all Seasons, so I leave it all till endgame so that i can do all Vanaheim at the same time. I know you can back to the squirrel for the stag favour at this time, but it means more warping.

Im thinking about times travelling between realms. it can take a while so I try to limit trips

You definitely can do both of those though.  Freya's favor I did right after freeing her from Odin's spell earlier in the game.  I did the stags while I was in the crater and just turned it in later.  The only things I had left in Vanaheim at that point in the story were a couple collectables and the berserker stone I wasn't ready to complete at the time.

6 hours ago, Snake2410 said:

You definitely can do both of those though.  Freya's favor I did right after freeing her from Odin's spell earlier in the game.  I did the stags while I was in the crater and just turned it in later.  The only things I had left in Vanaheim at that point in the story were a couple collectables and the berserker stone I wasn't ready to complete at the time.

You can do it earlier yes, I was saying you cant do Freyas favour at the time that The Crater becomes available!

If you do Freyas Missing Piece as soon as it becomes available, its not time eifficient as you cant do everything else for platinum at that time in the River Delta

And you cant do the stags unless you go back to squirrel 1st, so I leave it till later to minimise warping.

Im just trying to minimising warping as much as possible and I think i absolutely have. Each warp takes like 5 mins, all adds up!!

I usually get Stag favour while continuing the story, then later, I hand in Stag quest, hamd in Lost Lindwyrm favour and get end game Yggdrasil Seeds at at once!

For reference, there are 2 big areas you can fully complete through the story  while there without warping at all so you will never have to backtrack to them, and thats Midgard (except for king) and the Bay of Bounty in Svartalfheim. You can so Midgard in Word of Fate mission and Bay of Bounty straight after getting spear while you are still int that realm

Edited by Optinooby

On 11/20/2022 at 5:17 AM, Optinooby said:

You can do it earlier yes, I was saying you cant do Freyas favour at the time that The Crater becomes available!

If you do Freyas Missing Piece as soon as it becomes available, its not time eifficient as you cant do everything else for platinum at that time in the River Delta

And you cant do the stags unless you go back to squirrel 1st, so I leave it till later to minimise warping.

Im just trying to minimising warping as much as possible and I think i absolutely have. Each warp takes like 5 mins, all adds up!!

I usually get Stag favour while continuing the story, then later, I hand in Stag quest, hamd in Lost Lindwyrm favour and get end game Yggdrasil Seeds at at once!

For reference, there are 2 big areas you can fully complete through the story  while there without warping at all so you will never have to backtrack to them, and thats Midgard (except for king) and the Bay of Bounty in Svartalfheim. You can so Midgard in Word of Fate mission and Bay of Bounty straight after getting spear while you are still int that realm

Warping doesn't take more than a minute on PS5, and I haven't noticed much of a difference on PS4 now that I've started working on that one.  I'm using an hdd for the PS4 install so it doesn't help quicken it all that much playing on a PS5 either.

The sword she gets from it is well worth it though and it makes more sense to do it at that point to me, from a story standpoint.  If you're trying to platinum this as fast as possible I can understand that feeling, but I cannot see it shaving off enough to make much of a difference.  It's a 50 to 60 hour platinum on balanced or higher, took me 56 hours on balanced.  I don't imagine it would've shaved off more than an hour if I'd have waited on doing that quest until post game. That quest didn't even take an hour to get through and nothing in that area required anything I didn't have yet.

Favors were designed to be done when they are first made available to keep your level relevant. All of the favors tend to make a lot more sense story wise to do when they first become available as it is.  You tend to get better or more dialogue if you do them with the characters you first are able to do them with.

I'm positive I also started the Stag quest right from the one that's next to Beriger when you rescue him from the crater.  A spectral squirrel gave it to me next to him.

Just my feelings though, I get where you're coming from.  I just don't really concern myself with time management if I'm enjoying the game as much as I am this one.

Edited by Snake2410
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Snake2410 said:

Warping doesn't take more than a minute on PS5, and I haven't noticed much of a difference on PS4 now that I've started working on that one.  I'm using an hdd for the PS4 install so it doesn't help quicken it all that much playing on a PS5 either.

The sword she gets from it is well worth it though and it makes more sense to do it at that point to me, from a story standpoint.  If you're trying to platinum this as fast as possible I can understand that feeling, but I cannot see it shaving off enough to make much of a difference.  It's a 50 to 60 hour platinum on balanced or higher, took me 56 hours on balanced.  I don't imagine it would've shaved off more than an hour if I'd have waited on doing that quest until post game. That quest didn't even take an hour to get through and nothing in that area required anything I didn't have yet.

Favors were designed to be done when they are first made available to keep your level relevant. All of the favors tend to make a lot more sense story wise to do when they first become available as it is.  You tend to get better or more dialogue if you do them with the characters you first are able to do them with.

I'm positive I also started the Stag quest right from the one that's next to Beriger when you rescue him from the crater.  A spectral squirrel gave it to me next to him.

Just my feelings though, I get where you're coming from.  I just don't really concern myself with time management if I'm enjoying the game as much as I am this one.

Yea I get that mate, Its more just a different perspective really.

I got the platinum down to just over 15 hours excluding cutscenes and every little unoptimised warp or time here and there, can soon add up to a lot of time by the end, thats all it is really, more a speedrunner perspective i guess.

That area River Delta and its surrounding regions, at that time in the story where Freyas Missing Piece first becomes available, from the top of my head, you cant access the Berserker Stone at that point. And with no gateway near it, it means warping to the nearest gateway, then sailing there, the sailing back and then warping back to where you were, 5 minute detour just for 1 instance. More instances like this one will soon add up.

I agree, if we start to talk about best time for the story beats or best time to upgrade your character etc, it becomes a completely different perspective and approach. One that you have much more experience with than myself!

All im really focusing on is a Speedrun platinum, so saving time in any way possible, even 30 secs, is a important factor!!

You can trigger it there, but I thought I remember that you have to go and get the feed from Ratatoskr..??

Of course, its more from a guide writer perspective. If you're looking up a guide, I think the player deserves the absolute most optimal method, other than that, its in the players hands as they do what they enjoy along the way ;)

Edited by Optinooby

7 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Yea I get that mate, Its more just a different perspective really.

I got the platinum down to just over 15 hours excluding cutscenes and every little unoptimised warp or time here and there, can soon add up to a lot of time by the end, thats all it is really, more a speedrunner perspective i guess.

That area River Delta and its surrounding regions, at that time in the story where Freyas Missing Piece first becomes available, from the top of my head, you cant access the Berserker Stone at that point. And with no gateway near it, it means warping to the nearest gateway, then sailing there, the sailing back and then warping back to where you were, 5 minute detour just for 1 instance. More instances like this one will soon add up.

I agree, if we start to talk about best time for the story beats or best time to upgrade your character etc, it becomes a completely different perspective and approach. One that you have much more experience with than myself!

All im really focusing on is a Speedrun platinum, so saving time in any way possible, even 30 secs, is a important factor!!

You can trigger it there, but I thought I remember that you have to go and get the feed from Ratatoskr..??

Of course, its more from a guide writer perspective. If you're looking up a guide, I think the player deserves the absolute most optimal method, other than that, its in the players hands as they do what they enjoy along the way ;)

That could be what I was thinking of.  I think the favor triggered there, but you still needed to get the feed for it.  I mean I platinum in 56 hours and it only took me 10 days so things can become a blur.  I enjoyed the story enough that min maxing time to platinum wasn't really a concern.  I'm doing the PS4 version basically the same way but doing one of the early favors I missed and ended up doing with Freya later, even though you can do it with Atreus earlier.  Curious of the dialogue differences.

• Like 1