WARNING: Disc to Digital Save Loss

UsedDampTowel

So, essentially I bought the GOTY Digital version of the game recently, having played / platted the game in 2016/2017 using a disc version of the game. 

Anyway, after some research, I found that the disc and digital versions cannot share saves. So please be careful if you're planning on doing the DLC and you played the game in the past on disc, etc! 

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

I played the disc game on PS4 back in the day and recently got a hankering to play it again. I no longer have a PS4 but just assumed I could play from my old file on my PS5. Spent a couple of days downloading, now that it’s a PS+ downloadable game, along with all the DLC only to find that the game won’t reboot my old save. It only gives me the option to start a new game!

I assume this is the same problem you came across and was wondering if you ever came across a solution?

Here’s hoping!

Yeah, it's annoying and I don't know why. To clarify, your Saves are still there, they aren't deleted or overwritten by the Digital Versions Saves. For whatever reason the Physical/Digital copies are recognised as different SKUs of the game 🤷‍♂️ (this isn't unique to Fallout 4, it is pretty annoying though for it to be the case with such a big game however)

19 minutes ago, MRR---OFFICIAL said:

Yeah, it's annoying and I don't know why. To clarify, your Saves are still there, they aren't deleted or overwritten by the Digital Versions Saves. For whatever reason the Physical/Digital copies are recognised as different SKUs of the game 🤷‍♂️ (this isn't unique to Fallout 4, it is pretty annoying though for it to be the case with such a big game however)

Guess I will have to start a new game!

If I could just remember where I found ‘The Deliverer’.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently thinking of starting Fallout 4 and trying to decide whether to buy the GOTY version on sale from the PS Store or get the season pass to go with my disc copy, would prefer the season pass for the flexibility and ease of installing from disc in the future but the GOTY is showing as cheaper than the season pass has ever been which I find just odd.

Does the GOTY version on the PS Store separate the DLC and would I be able to use it with the disc copy?

35 minutes ago, Martain2 said:

Currently thinking of starting Fallout 4 and trying to decide whether to buy the GOTY version on sale from the PS Store or get the season pass to go with my disc copy, would prefer the season pass for the flexibility and ease of installing from disc in the future but the GOTY is showing as cheaper than the season pass has ever been which I find just odd.

Does the GOTY version on the PS Store separate the DLC and would I be able to use it with the disc copy?

The disc version of the GOTY edition is just the base game with a code for the season pass. So, I think there is no special GOTY file, it's just a bundle  of the game and season pass.

That's probably why they do the discount this deep: The GOTY edition is available brand new at €10 on disc in Germany, digital can't compete with that.

Edited by shadaik

• 4 months later...

This is an annoying problem. And if you're really stupid – like me – you can accidentally overwrite your previous cloud save with the new 'blank' save data. 

Guess I won't be getting 100% on Fallout 4 anytime soon haha. 

Edited by Finch_III

On 8/23/2023 at 4:45 AM, MRR---OFFICIAL said:

So I've rarely been in the situation to play both the disc and digital version of the same game, but in my experience this hasn't been an issue on PS4, only PS3.  I've personally played 2 PS3 games on both disc and digital versions which had different save files, but never run into it on PS4.  But I've probably played too few games on both disc and digital, so who knows, maybe its a more common issue than I thought.  Ironically, I've been looking to get a GOTY copy of Fallout 4 for a while now, so at least I know to look out for this issue.

Just a warning for whoever reads this:
The pipboy collector's edition also has a different disc code then the normal disc edition.
So those saves are not compatible either.

A friend of mine borrowed my pipboy edition disc to try out the game. Later on he got the normal version for himself and he couldn't use his original saves.

If you buy a physical GOTY copy to get the DLC for your current disc copy, make sure the disc code is the same as your current disc or the saves won't be compatible.

In the end, savefiles are linked to the disc code. If you ever copy them to USB and then check that USB with a PC, you'll see the names of the saves contain the disc code.
You can find the disc code (or serial number/SKU code) on the disc or on the spine of the box near the bottom. For PS4 games it's usually something CUSA-00000 for EU/US.

This is the list I could find of all codes for Fallout 4, but it seems they didn't identify yet what the code for the pipboy version from EU is:
https://serialstation.com/games/6f4a5fc6-323c-4d5c-8fa7-801f7866db65

@Finch_III Are you sure you have overwritten your save in the cloud?
Because if they are from different versions (different disc codes) then they should be separate in the cloud as well. Meaning you should have multiple Fallout 4 entries if you check the saves on your cloud.
But if you use options on the game icon and then go to 'upload/download saves', you'll only see the saves for that version and not for all versions.
So instead of using the menu on the game icon. go to the settings of your PS4/PS5 and look for the savefiles there and then what's on the cloud.
You should get a full overview of all your games and I suspect that you have multiple entries for Fallout. If there's only one entry, it might still have saves from the 2 different versions (couldn't test it myself) but I suspect you'll be able to tell in that case.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kolm said:

Just a warning for whoever reads this:
The pipboy collector's edition also has a different disc code then the normal disc edition.
So those saves are not compatible either.

A friend of mine borrowed my pipboy edition disc to try out the game. Later on he got the normal version for himself and he couldn't use his original saves.

If you buy a physical GOTY copy to get the DLC for your current disc copy, make sure the disc code is the same as your current disc or the saves won't be compatible.

In the end, savefiles are linked to the disc code. If you ever copy them to USB and then check that USB with a PC, you'll see the names of the saves contain the disc code.
You can find the disc code (or serial number/SKU code) on the disc or on the spine of the box near the bottom. For PS4 games it's usually something CUSA-00000 for EU/US.

This is the list I could find of all codes for Fallout 4, but it seems they didn't identify yet what the code for the pipboy version from EU is:
https://serialstation.com/games/6f4a5fc6-323c-4d5c-8fa7-801f7866db65

Because if they are from different versions (different disc codes) then they should be separate in the cloud as well. Meaning you should have multiple Fallout 4 entries if you check the saves on your cloud.
But if you use options on the game icon and then go to 'upload/download saves', you'll only see the saves for that version and not for all versions.
So instead of using the menu on the game icon. go to the settings of your PS4/PS5 and look for the savefiles there and then what's on the cloud.
You should get a full overview of all your games and I suspect that you have multiple entries for Fallout. If there's only one entry, it might still have saves from the 2 different versions (couldn't test it myself) but I suspect you'll be able to tell in that case.

I bought the Pipboy edition for my partner, I'm guessing I can pull the disc out if it's needed?

13 hours ago, Kolm said:

I will check again, thanks for your response! That said, it's already looking like quite a hassle to finish off the DLC for the game – if I have to buy another physical copy, but GOTY edition + make sure I'm getting the right disc code etc. I was really only intending to finish it off because I saw it on PS Plus with DLC for free. 

So is it not possible at all to get digital DLC for the game if you previously bought the original physical copy? 

Edited by Finch_III

14 hours ago, Dark_Overlord said:

I bought the Pipboy edition for my partner, I'm guessing I can pull the disc out if it's needed?

I'm not sure what you mean.
If you start with the pip-boy disc and don't want to start over, then you have to finish the game with that disc and buy the DLC separate or with the season pass if you want 100%.
If you start with a normal disc, the same.
If you start the GOTY version you'll have to use that from start to finish.

Only thing you can't do if you don't want to lose progress is start one version (normal disc for example) and then switch to another version (pip-boy version). Because the different versions don't recognise each others savefiles.

20 minutes ago, Finch_III said:

I will check again, thanks for your response! That said, it's already looking like quite a hassle to finish off the DLC for the game – if I have to buy another physical copy, but GOTY edition + make sure I'm getting the right disc code etc. I was really only intending to finish it off because I saw it on PS Plus with DLC for free. 

So is it not possible at all to get digital DLC for the game if you previously bought the original physical copy? 

If I check the disc codes on serial station, it looks like there's no GOTY version with the same disc code as the normal edition. Despite the code being separate in the box. However, they could also mean the digital GOTY on that site. That's why it might be worth checking the code of a physical GOTY version.

The DLC is also available separate or with the season pass. So for the normal disc version and pip-boy edition, you can buy that instead of using the GOTY version.
The season pass is in sale regularly for 11.54GBP according to psprices.
https://psprices.com/region-gb/game/561327/fallout-4-season-pass

36 minutes ago, Kolm said:

I'm not sure what you mean.

I meant in regards to this part

If in some way I could help to identify it :)

4 hours ago, Dark_Overlord said:

I meant in regards to this part

If in some way I could help to identify it :)

Aah, now I understand :) 

I just checked my own pip boy version (was just behind me 😅 ) and that disc has code CUSA-02961

I also went looking on ebay hoping for some pictures of discs and there I could find a normal EU version (PEGI mark on the box, sold in UK) with code CUSA-02962.

I'll see if I can get in contact with serialstation to get that info updated.

Edit: When checking some pip-boy editions on ebay, they have CUSA-02962 on the box... However I couldn't find a pip-boy edition with a picture of the actual disc. And I also couldn't find the box of my pip-boy edition to cross-check with my disc code...

Edited by Kolm
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2023 at 10:37 AM, UsedDampTowel said:

So, essentially I bought the GOTY Digital version of the game recently, having played / platted the game in 2016/2017 using a disc version of the game. 

Anyway, after some research, I found that the disc and digital versions cannot share saves. So please be careful if you're planning on doing the DLC and you played the game in the past on disc, etc! 

I knew this when i played fallout 4 at 2019.. It's so dumb of me that i didnt post a topic about it in here.. I'm glad you did it anyway!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DonnyRomance said:

What really?!?

Unless I missed something, but I had only ever played FO4 via disc. Got it when it was on the PS5 play stuff but never downloaded it until a week or two ago.

I booted it up last night to see if the booting issues were fixed and loaded my save. I didn’t think anything of it until I saw this post.

57 minutes ago, bigdaddykraven said:

Unless I missed something, but I had only ever played FO4 via disc. Got it when it was on the PS5 play stuff but never downloaded it until a week or two ago.

I booted it up last night to see if the booting issues were fixed and loaded my save. I didn’t think anything of it until I saw this post.

Ah okay, i think you mean for PS4 to PS5? If you go from disc to PS4 digital it still doesn't transfer across (just checked)