Upcoming PS4 Update to Add SHARE Enhancements and HDCP Off

UndreyVITA

Here at PlayStation, we listen closely to your comments and requests, which are weighted heavily when looking at the future of our platforms. Since PlayStation 4 launched, we’ve heard a lot of great feedback from you about what you like with the platform and what you’d like to see us work on. I’m happy to report that, as a direct result of your feedback, we’ll soon be bringing some of your most-requested features to PS4 with a system software update in the upcoming weeks. These features and additions will help make your PS4 even more socially connected by further enabling you to customize your most epic gaming moments and granting even more options to show them to your friends.

This upcoming update will add a rich video editor with a simple tool to personalize your video clips, and you’ll also be able to export to and save the videos and screenshots you create by pressing the SHARE button to a USB drive. In addition, this update will add an HDCP off option for capturing gameplay via HDMI, a feature we’ve previously said would come after launch. We recognize that some gamers want to record and share longer clips of their gameplay sessions, and we’re excited to deliver this option with PS4. There’s a lot more coming in this update as well, so stay tuned for more—there will be plenty in the update to excite everyone.

As part of a separate system software update in the future, we have been working with our partners at Twitch and Ustream, and will also be adding the ability for Twitch broadcasts to be archived – another highly requested feature among PS4 fans who are taking advantage of the SHARE button features. These broadcasts will be also provided with a higher resolution of 720p, so PS4 fans can enjoy live broadcasts with clearer images. We’ll have more to come on these updates and more in the coming weeks.

blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/19/upcoming-ps4-update-to-add-share-enhancements-and-hdcp-off/#sf2229152

Edited by UndreyVITA

To stream or record videos if they don't have any other way to do it, so basically exactly why it was included in the first place.

Parker

LOL, I mean to serve what purpose?

I understand that any professional outlet or semi professional making review or guide videos will already have worked out how to do this another way, (otherwise they would not still be in business) - but sony seems to be suggesting that there is some swell of requests for editing tools - that would suggest that joe-average is gonna want to record him/herself playing a game - I may be missing something here, but what is the purpose of that? For whom are they making these vids?

I love games, a lot more than the average punter, but I can't imagine even me sitting watching someone else play a game, when I could be playing one myself?

I understand that any professional outlet or semi professional making review or guide videos will already have worked out how to do this another way, (otherwise they would not still be in business) - but sony seems to be suggesting that there is some swell of requests for editing tools - that would suggest that joe-average is gonna want to record him/herself playing a game - I may be missing something here, but what is the purpose of that? For whom are they making these vids?

I love games, a lot more than the average punter, but I can't imagine even me sitting watching someone else play a game, when I could be playing one myself?

You're not serious? Never heard of lets plays on youtube? And average joes may just want to show off some epic gaming moments to their friends. :) Like beating a boss on Hard mode in a really awesome way, you never know man. 

There are plenty of people who want to record their gameplay but can't afford or don't want to buy all the extra equipment that used to be required. Once the PS4 was released there was a huge increase in Twitch traffic. 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/10/ps4-twitch-traffic/

Just because you may not enjoy something, that doesn't mean other people share that opinion.

Parker

You're not serious? Never heard of lets plays on youtube? And average joes may just want to show off some epic gaming moments to their friends. :) Like beating a boss on Hard mode in a really awesome way, you never know man.

I have heard of Lets Plays - and I do watch Giant Bomb videos quite a lot, thats how I see most of the games I end up buying - but while I wont always agree with what those guys say about a game, at least they are qualified to demonstate and talk about it eloquently and with journalistic objectivity - surely anyone making a video using the 'share' function already bought the game, so are predisposed to like it.

There are plenty of people who want to record their gameplay but can't afford or don't want to buy all the extra equipment that used to be required. Once the PS4 was released there was a huge increase in Twitch traffic. 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/10/ps4-twitch-traffic/

Just because you may not enjoy something, that doesn't mean other people share that opinion.

Parker

I guess so, I just don't get it.

I have heard of Lets Plays - and I do watch Giant Bomb videos quite a lot, thats how I see most of the games I end up buying - but while I wont always agree with what those guys say about a game, at least they are qualified to demonstate and talk about it eloquently and with journalistic objectivity - surely anyone making a video using the 'share' function already bought the game, so are predisposed to like it.

I guess so, I just don't get it.

Not necessarily. Plus, it is a great way to see gameplay from a game you're looking into. You can jump into a stream real quick, watch 10-15 minutes and see if the game looks fun enough to spend your money on. 

Parker