License test difficulty for average gamer?

Rebourne07

I know it’s officially rated 6/10, but when trying to find a consensus online for how hard the license tests are I’m finding mixed results. I know difficulty is subjective, but I’d like to hear from some non-hardcore, average gamers using regular controllers (no wheels)…how hard were the license tests for you? 

• Like 2

Very, very hard. I'm not the best in racing games but I have plenty of experience in different franchises to know that it's hard, specially the S-License. I got practically all gold in the first 3 licenses, then struggled a bit in the IA but the final test made clear that I wasn't going to make it. 

Don't let the rarity fool you, GT7 doesn't even reach 50k owners in it's PS5 version while every other game is above 200k; GT5 have 700k.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rebourne07 said:

I know it’s officially rated 6/10, but when trying to find a consensus online for how hard the license tests are I’m finding mixed results. I know difficulty is subjective, but I’d like to hear from some non-hardcore, average gamers using regular controllers (no wheels)…how hard were the license tests for you? 

I got all gold licenses within a few hours with a standard DS5 controller.  If you're having trouble, watch the demo.  I personally can't drive with the track ghost on, but it's helped a lot of people.  Try to follow it or maybe even pass it because Try tweaking your settings (ie turn traction control off, adjust steering sensitivity ETC).  Also, if you're feeling frustrated, just get off and try again later.  I suck.  If I get gold on license, then anyone can.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rebourne07 said:

As you expect, that is a really hard question to answer. They are comparable, if not a little easier than previous GT license tests. I had no trouble with them and use a controller (less than an hour for the hardest one), but racing games are my favourite genre. You are far from a noob gamer, so I expect that with a little practice (do the everything in game you can before bothering with the license tests) you'll be able to do it. As someone else said, watch the demo for the lines/braking points if you are having trouble. 

• Like 1

I still have 4 S tests to complete for gold but I have found this youtube channel (Trophy Tom - YouTube) pretty helpful on tracks I struggled with. There are some really good tips to follow. Some will definitely take many attempts (even hours depending on skill level) but you'll gradually get to know the track better and fine those littler areas where you can shave off time. S-10 is the one that still feels very daunting but I've put that off for last. With enough perseverance, I'd say it's definitely doable. I'd say I'm average at racing games.

Edited by plafix68
  • Like 1

Licenses were much harder when the game first came out. Updated model and tyre physics have made all cars quicker and all licenses extremely doable for the average Joe. If you're struggling with any test, check the replay and lower the TCS as much as you can (it slows you down beyond belief).

• Like 1

What makes the true difficulty harder to gauge is that even the later tests have varying skill requirements. As a veteran of the series since the PS2 days, I found a few of the S-license tests to be fairly easy to complete with a handful of attempts, but S-7 and S-10 were multi-hour/session events. I'd still rate GT3/GT4 license tests as harder than these overall, but I did find these harder than the GT Sport driving school events. For a novice at racing games, I'd say a 7-8 platinum difficulty rating wouldn't be out of place, if we're judging by the hardest tests. They are difficult but achievable, and I found them to be nice tests (except for S-7, because I can't control the Formula car to save my life).

I'm not a veteran in racing games, but I consider my self quite okay. I like sim racing games, and I'm playing GT7 on a G29 + PSVR2 headset.
For me, getting gold in the first 4 licenses (40 tests) was quite easy. I would give it 3/10. Some I had to replay multiple times, but not more than 10 times, to get the gold time.
But the last license (the last 10 tests), this is another level for sure. Here I'm struggling a lot. You have to beak a time attack, a full lap in a track, in all kind of tracks and cars. For example, has one that you use a Formula 1 car, and it's hard. Another one you have to play in a rally track, TOTALLY difference experience, totally different game mod. And for get gold you must MASTER these tracks. I would give it like 8/10 honestly.
I didn't got any gold yet. I just get too frustrated waiting 1, 2 minutes and then having to try again. Has so many stuff that can go wrong that is quite hard to handle this.
Don't let this stop you, as I'm not letting it stop me. But I must to say that I'm not having fun anymore ?

• Like 1

The ones I was stuck on the most was S-7 & S-10. With S-7, I was familiar with the track and each time i got close to gold. The demonstration did help a bit. S-10, I made lots of mistakes because of the puddles which made me lose control of the car. After getting gold in all of them now, I give it a 6/10 in difficulty as I had to practice and getting my time to achieve gold. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got gold in all up until S6, which is total bs 

they patched the gold time from 2:15 down to 2:10. my best time is 2:13:9

i have no idea how i can get 4 seconds better, no matter what i do i can’t keep up with the demo ghost car

if you look up for a video these are all from early 2022 and pretty much useless 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 2:11 PM, Rebourne07 said:

Not gonna lie I have a wheel but I can't get any of the tests done using it. Gotta go in 3rd person view with a controller. I just use my wheel for regular racing. But if I fail too many times with the wheel I just switch back to the controller. Not very far yet but it's definitely tougher than a 6 in my opinion.

• Like 1