Share your license test experiences

Rebourne07

Figured I'd start a thread on this to have a place for others to look for tips on license tests.

For me the first 30 golds were largely uneventful

IA-5 was surprisingly hard for me

Changing the controller sensitivity to 3 is a must, the car is way more sensitive than most other cars

S-4 took me hours

What finally made the difference for me was manually changing TCS mid race. For those that don't know, using left or right on the d-pad you can find your TCS settings during a race then raise or lower it with up or down on the dpad. Higher TCS gives you better steering, but slower acceleration and vice versa for lower TCS. So what you want to do is start at TCS 0, but manually bump it up to 5 during the two sections sections where you need to slow down to a halt to turn hard; 1) the multi-turn at around 30-40 seconds in and 2) that final hairpin. That made a huge difference for me.

• Like 4

Thank you for starting this. Looking forward to reading more replies. 

I just started the gold requirements and struggled for a couple hours on S-3. Out of frustration, I did some research and discovered that players turned their traction control from a “5” to a “0” and that made all the difference. 

I made that subtle change in my settings and got gold in my first attempt. Go figure. The minor nuances make substantial differences on some of these license requirements. 

• Like 1

For S-9 for sure use TCS 0. I tried various settings and discovered TCS 0 is key. The car handles surprisingly well even on the craziest corners so it comes down to acceleration and speed on the straights and you just can't get enough speed with TCS > 0.

I've also found that my personal best ghost is more useful than the demonstration ghost. Use the demonstration ghost until you get bronze and then turn it off and just use your pb ghost with a 0.0 offset. That way you know for sure if you're ahead of the ghost, you're gonna get at least closer to gold. 

Only S-7 and S-10 left. Pray for me!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rebourne07 said:

For S-9 for sure use TCS 0. I tried various settings and discovered TCS 0 is key. The car handles surprisingly well even on the craziest corners so it comes down to acceleration and speed on the straights and you just can't get enough speed with TCS > 0.

I've also found that my personal best ghost is more useful than the demonstration ghost. Use the demonstration ghost until you get bronze and then turn it off and just use your pb ghost with a 0.0 offset. That way you know for sure if you're ahead of the ghost, you're gonna get at least closer to gold. 

Only S-7 and S-10 left. Pray for me!

As someone who done all of them with DS4 controller.

I can say that using the PS5 Dual Sense was already an improvement. 

With a steering wheel it gets a lot easier. 

For S10 I can give a few usefull tips.

-Use a sensitivity that you test out yourself I find setting the sensitivity is a personal thing. But lower then default in the case of a controller gave me an big improvement. This car is very sensitive to directional inputs.

-Use a lower TCS setting on the moments you are in 2nd gear or higher.

-Be carefull on the wet. If you brake or accelerate you will spin on the wet no matter the assists that are in use.

-As above for cornering it will feel slower and is a little compared to a dry track but avoid the wet curbs which normally you would use to hit the apex. In this case you will spinout.

What helped me was to first drive across the track to recon it for the best line. Some corners feel weird with the wet or partial wet track. It forced me to alter my race line, compared to how I would usually approach it.

S7 the Super Formula on Laguna, use the track to the full extend. Corner at as high as speed as possible. Higher then default sensitivity was better for my times here.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rebourne07 said:

Finished all license tests last night. 

Did them all with a controller, a wheel is definitely not required.

Always adjust settings since every test is different. I’d start using Trophy Tom’s suggested settings, sometimes change them according to comments on his videos, and sometimes make my own judgement call on settings that worked better for me. Settings make a huge difference. 

S-7 took me about 3ish hrs

This test is about learning to take corners at very uncomfortable speeds. The car handles pretty much perfectly with TCS 5, almost like a Need for Speed game rather than a sim, so it comes down to being able to blast through corners at max or near max speed to get the tight time.

S-10 also took me about 3hrs

This is the polar opposite of S-7. The narrow dry line and glass smooth tires teaches you to go the correct speed, not the fastest speed, in each situation. You’ll get the beginning down after about an hour…it’s the last 20 second stretch on the backend before the chicane that you have to learn to respect. It seems innocent because it’s not sharp…but that whole section of the track may as well be made entirely out of banana peals so you’ve got to learn to roll and tap the throttle. 

Good luck guys! My personal difficulty rating is 8/10. Very difficult, only reason it’s not higher is because I believe most gamers can do it within about a week with enough patience and prayer. 

Congrats!!!! I’ll get there one day! Appreciate the advice 

• Like 1

You're an amazing trophy hunter so I knew you were going to do it eventually! I only have S licenses left but I stopped to concentrate on other modes first.

I found S-10 incredibly hard, it even took me a long time to get bronze, for some reason the car feels like it's rolling on thin ice so I should definitely pick up a guide.

• Like 2

I got all licenses using a wheel in VR. Didn't really have any trouble until about half way through the S license. I didn't change any settings, didn't even think to but if I was finding any of the courses difficult I would go into Circuit Experience to learn the track whilst also getting credits then once I was more familiar with the track I'd got back to the licence. It will be a different car but for me it was mainly that I didn't know the track well enough. S7 and 10 seemed impossible at first but you'll do it if you keep going. Ghosts can be annoying but they are the best way to figure out where you are fast and slow on any track.

Edit: I never used demo ghost as that is a full second quicker than the target time. I just used PB ghost to see where I was fast and slow.

Edited by vitis705
Extra info

Could it be that the licenses with VR 2 are easier? I installed it a few weeks ago and got til IA section before that I only struggled. I gave up on IA-8 and installed it now again. With VR 2 its just a complete new experiences and less frustrating because its well like in real life lol.

Edited by Mr_Bandicoot93

1 hour ago, Jeanoltt said:

You're an amazing trophy hunter so I knew you were going to do it eventually! I only have S licenses left but I stopped to concentrate on other modes first.

I found S-10 incredibly hard, it even took me a long time to get bronze, for some reason the car feels like it's rolling on thin ice so I should definitely pick up a guide.

Thanks! You can definitely do it! Check out Trophy Tom's guide for it on YouTube. His tips helped me a ton. Though I used TCS 5 and Counter Steering on Strong which he said not to do. His track tips are great though. Use the demonstration Ghost until you have a decent PB then turn the demo ghost off and only use your own ghost. It can be discouraging and distracting to see the demo ghost always in front of you, but if you use your PB ghost then you'll always know that if you can't see the ghost, you're ahead of time which will give you a mental boost.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mr_Bandicoot93 said:

Could it be that the licenses with VR 2 are easier? I installed it a few weeks ago and got til IA section before that I only struggled. I gave up on IA-8 and installed it now again. With VR 2 its just a complete new experiences and less frustrating because its well like in real life lol.

It takes a while to get used to.  It's probably because you can see brake indicators (like meter signs and stuff) better.

23 hours ago, Rebourne07 said:

Thanks! You can definitely do it! Check out Trophy Tom's guide for it on YouTube. His tips helped me a ton. Though I used TCS 5 and Counter Steering on Strong which he said not to do. His track tips are great though. Use the demonstration Ghost until you have a decent PB then turn the demo ghost off and only use your own ghost. It can be discouraging and distracting to see the demo ghost always in front of you, but if you use your PB ghost then you'll always know that if you can't see the ghost, you're ahead of time which will give you a mental boost.

Your tip with TCS 5 and Counter Steering on Strong helped me alot on S10. Before that I was nearly ready to surrender. Thanks. ?

• Like 1

Made some reruns yesterday to test things out and my verdict is that some licenses are easier now and some are harder. The good thing is that pad users will benefit greatly from the new handling model and throttle modulation feels much MUCH more accurate to the car's response. 

• Like 1

On 31/03/2023 at 4:07 PM, zracingz said:

New physics are so easy so just a not quite hard platinum like antecessor gt5 and gt sport games saga

Have you played s-3 or s-9 ? I wouldnt say easy.

I don't see how they improved physics. My new times are basically the same.

Edited by Shorah-
  • Like 1

Hello, i played all and improved all times like 0,5 -0,8seconds. Tip traction 0 or 1 maximum, sensivity 7, brakes usually to set +3 to steer better i had A+ rated on my account with dualshock so im experimented with pad ds4

Edited by zracingz

Any tips for IA-10? Thanks in advance. 

Edit: After 3+ hours of trying I finally got it in 55.713 seconds with the following settings:

TC:2

Countersteeing Assistance: Weak

ABS: Default

Controller Sensitivity : 7

Good Luck! I don’t think I could get that time again. 

Edited by kkulifay
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 6:43 PM, kkulifay said:

Any tips for IA-10? Thanks in advance. 

Edit: After 3+ hours of trying I finally got it in 55.713 seconds with the following settings:

TC:2

Countersteeing Assistance: Weak

ABS: Default

Controller Sensitivity : 7

Good Luck! I don’t think I could get that time again. 

The key is sensivity 7 for all type or races and cars i improve a lot, traction its better 0 or maximum 1

• Like 2

On 4/13/2023 at 8:45 PM, zracingz said:

The key is sensivity 7 for all type or races and cars i improve a lot, traction its better 0 or maximum 1

What about countersterring assistance: off, weak, or strong? 

After the recent patch, they also lowered the gold license requirement for S-2 and now this has been my new heartburn. Before this patch, those times would’ve been fairly attainable for me looking at my all of my averages. How did the new physics change improve anything to justify lowering the gold time requirements?

34 minutes ago, Legate_Hawk said:

so i've made it to S6 so far (S4 is still silver) and i gotta say these shits are real tough like goddamn i'm kinda doubting i'll ever get them all gold

Don’t feel bad either.  GT7 will probably be the first PS4/PS5 game that I accept defeat from earning a platinum on. It kind of sucks, like a blow to the ego, but it made me realize that I lack the skillset to master racing games and that’s totally fine. 

You have an impressive list of plats, so for you to share your struggles too is telling on how difficult these trials are lately 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kkulifay said:

Don’t feel bad either.  GT7 will probably be the first PS4/PS5 game that I accept defeat from earning a platinum on. It kind of sucks, like a blow to the ego, but it made me realize that I lack the skillset to master racing games and that’s totally fine. 

You have an impressive list of plats, so for you to share your struggles too is telling on how difficult these trials are lately 

thanks for that compliment, but for real the trophy guide says difficulty is 6/10 so i see that and think surely it's a bit tough but nothing impossible but damn these S trial require so precise inputs that i would honestly call this like a 8 or even a 9/10 diff, i will keep trying but if i can't get them then i just can't

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished all gold on licenses after update which lowered some of the required times, it’s hard but still very doable. Hardest one for me was hands down S-7, followed by S4, then AI-10 and S-10.

S-7 You have to take most corners full speed, which means if you miss the right moment for every single turn by milliseconds you’re either in the sand or hit the curb and take off with the same result, failure. Key here was adjusting controller steering sensitivity to max, +10. I had high TCS, at 4 or 5.

S-4 This was the last test I completed. The new patch time is really unforgiving (it was lowered by 1.5 seconds), you need a nearly perfect lap, too quick and you’ll likely hit a wall, too cautious and you won’t make the time. Also I lost count how many times the last turn ruined my run. TCS at 3 worked best for me here.

AI-10 Again new time was quite challenging to achieve and everybody knows Nordschleife is a tricky track. The car doesn’t help as it feels very heavy and unresponsive, you need to find a good flow between turns. This one took me more tries than S-10.

S-10 I was dreading the final challenge and at first it may look daunting, I barely made bronze time and struggled to even keep the car on track. But after a few tries you get the hang of it and with all possible assists on (TCS on 5 and countersteering strong are must have!) the car is much more manageable and I got gold just the 4th time I could complete a lap without failing before the end.