PSNP Interviews: Golem25 - Submit Your Questions!

Hello and welcome back to Member Interviews! Our next interviewee is none other than @Golem25! Can we make it past 25 questions before the thread closes?

Golem25.png

Questions can be submitted starting now until May 22nd, 2023 (I'll be away from home this week and next week but should be able to keep updating this post when new questions come in). Golem has provided the community with a snippet about themselves to help with coming up with questions.

About Me

Hi all, I'm Golem25, but you might know me as.... Golem. The 25 often gets left off. Fun fact; in my head I pronounce it as 'two-five' rather than 'twenty-five', but I'm pretty sure I'm alone on that one. If my name and avatar are familiar, that'd either be from my assorted postings across the forum or from my dedicated Trophy Checklist thread which I update on the first of every month like clockwork.

Now for the stuff you don't know about me; I turned 30 barely two weeks ago, which was just about as painful as I expected it to be. I was born and raised in the Netherlands - hence the Dutch PSN profile - but after having lived in Singapore for a stint in university, I went to the United Kingdom for work in 2019 and have pretty much stayed here since. 

My greatest ambition in life currently is to go back to Singapore - which is honestly the most amazing country in the world - although I am exploring my options to live elsewhere in the Anglosphere or in Asia. Three countries of residence in my first three decades on the planet, and I'm keen to either get back to Singapore or at the very least find my way to a fourth before I reach 40. I've had the privilege of having visited 27 different countries so far, and across four different continents at that - it's a small world, but too big for me to stay put for too long.

I studied geography and political sciences at the two top universities in the Netherlands (plus NUS in Singapore - #1 in Asia, baby!), but rather than pursue a personal passion on the job market, I decided to go into consulting for a career - purely as a mercenary, for the money. My field is tech/IT, and I specialize in HR, cybersecurity, and, since recently, AI too. Last year I was offered a nice role at PwC in a European capital, and in 2021 Microsoft of all companies offered me a job at a different European capital, but I'm sticking with my current employer as they provide the clearest shot at my long-term ambitions. For now. Humble brag time; my first job was actually doing work as a model - both in photography and on the catwalk, I even got to wear two outfits in the opening show of the Amsterdam Fashion Week - which honestly isn't that hard of a role to land when you're 6'4 (194 cm) and look terminally depressed.

I'm unusual in that I don't read books or watch streaming services; my free time is exclusively split between sports and gaming. For the former, I support Norwich City of England (woe is me) and love watching the Singapore Premier League when it comes to association football, and I foolishly chose to support the New York Jets (woe is definitely me) in gridiron football. I've also followed Formula 1 since 2004, and have been to the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps five times. Last time I was there I picked up a torn-off front wing end plate of Kamui Kobayashi's Sauber C30, which I still have. It's my second-favourite sports memorabilia item, right behind the matchworn shirt I caught in the stands after the Singaporean football Cup final in 2016 - I didn't even bring a begging sign! I used to do swimming, assocation football, field hockey, and mountain biking. Nowadays though, I stay fit by just going for runs every few days.

As for gaming, the original GameBoy was my first gaming device (it was the cool see-through variant!) and Donkey Kong Land my first game before moving onto Pokémon Blue (which I got for my 7th birthday - G/S/E and HG/SS is where the series peaked btw). After never getting a Nintendo 64, I ended up playing on a PS1 before eventually getting my own PS2 (with Gran Turismo 3 and Tekken 4). From there, I got an original Nintendo DS, then a Wii, then a PS3, then a Vita. I never actually owned a PS4, jumping straight from my Vita (which is still my favourite Playstation of any kind) to the PS5. I dabble in PC gaming every once in a while, mostly for Football Manager.

Having collected Trophies since I got my PS3 at the tail end of 2008, my first Trophy pop was on Motorstorm Pacific Rift. I also played LittleBigPlanet and Far Cry 2 (I have the Plat!) before finally creating my online profile in 2009 to try the multiplayer modes of GTA IV and Killzone 2. From the very start, Trophies intrigued me but I didn't get hardcore into them at first - they scared me a little bit. Platinum Trophies seemed/were exceedingly difficult at the time, and I didn't think I'd ever unlock one until Borderlands came along - which was considered to be a trivially easy Plat at the time as I recall. As I found more success in hunting Plats - Just Cause 2 being an early favourite of mine - I became more engrossed, and now here I am nearly 15 years later with nearly 150 Plats and 7,000+ Trophies to my name! I'm a happy PS Plus Premium subscriber (because I stacked cheap Now subs before the change to Plus was made) and it will keep me occupied with a myriad of different games for years to come.

However, anyone who knows me knows that no matter how many different genres I play, I will always return to Yakuza/Like A Dragon games, which I dearly love. I first played Yakuza 3 in 2010, and have been hooked since. I pride myself in only playing games I truly want to play - save for very select, ill-judged exceptions such as an unfortunate foray into Farming Simulator - and have built quite an eclectic collection of Trophies, albeit with a slight Japanese theme, as a result. I never got suckered into easy 1-minute Plats (Terminator Salvation is my worst sin, I suppose) but do unfortunately have a fair few unobtainables that will keep my profile from ever reaching 100%. I'm also proud of my average rarity - only 31.85% at the time of writing - and the fact that I once was in the top 100 of the Dutch leaderboard for Vita games without a single Ratalaika game to my name.

All that being said, I am probably one of the weirder users of this site when it comes to my profile. If you check my stats page, you'll see that I've been manipulating quite a few of the graphs. For the better part of three years I've been unlocking the same number of Trophies each month for months at a time to create horizontal lines on the 'Monthly activity' graph. Similarly, I've been waking up in the middle of the night to pop pre-cooked Trophies to level out 'Trophies by time' as best I can. And I've done the same for 'Trophies by day'. Quite why I do any of this.... I'm not sure, as purposefully manipulating them kind of defeats the purpose of all these beautiful graphs. But it is fun and it keeps me off the streets, so to each their own, no?

Please do browse my profile, check out the games I've played, and come up with some fun questions! I'm looking forward to answering them all in a very succint fashion! :^)

Interview setup 

The setup for all PSNP interviews will be as follows:

1. After the new interviewee have been revealed, the PSNP community will have 10 days to ask their questions. While the community is coming up with questions, the interviewee has the time to work on the 17 standard questions
  2. After those 10 days, those questions, along with the standard questions, will be sent to the interviewee.
  3. The interviewee will have another 7 days to answer as many of the questions as they want.
  4. Once the interviewee has finished answering the questions, I will post the whole interview in a new thread.

How to be an interviewee

As we've had a lot of interest, new applications are temporarily closed, but I'll open the interview signup thread back up after more names have been cleared.

List of questions

Standard Questions

1. How did you come up with your PSN name?
  2. What games convinced you to get your PlayStation 3, Playstation Vita, PlayStation 4, and Playstation 5?
  3. What are your top 5 game series and why?
  4. What are your top 5 games and why?
  5. Which unreleased game(s) are you looking forward to the most and why?
  6. Do you have any other hobbies outside of gaming?
  7. Top 5 TV shows, Movies, and/or anime, why, and would you recommend them to people?
  8. Top 5 favorite music bands/group/artists/composers/OST?
  9. Your favorite platinum and why?
  10. Your least favorite platinum and why?
  11. Have you ever been tempted to switch over to the Xbox/Nintendo/PC gaming ecosystems?
  12. If you could have one game from any gaming generation be remade or re-released, which one would it be and why?
  13. How far are you willing to go for a platinum?
  14. If you could give Sony direct feedback on business decisions in the last year, and the latest console generation, what would you tell them?
  15. What is your favorite thing about PSNP?
  16. What is your least favorite thing about PSNP?
  17. Is there anyone in the PSNP Community you would like to give a shout-out to and if so, why?

PSNP Community Questions (updated periodically)

1. If someone gave you a good career and you were financially stable for life (300k/yr) but had to give up gaming for good. Couldnt own or be around them. Would you take that deal?
  2. What console is your least favorite and why?
  3. Did you ever have a gaming drought? if so, how long was it and what game brought you back? Thanks for your time.
  4. As a Norwich fan how much did you enjoy Luis Suarez coming to town? As a Liverpool fan I know I was always salivating at the chance to see him take on your defence.
  5. Who is your favourite Norwich City player of all time and why?
  6. Why is it do you think that Norwich can never stay in the Prem for much more than a season at a time? Bad luck? Bad decisions? Bad players?
  7. You come home after a long day to find your significant other on your doorstep. They seem very excited. Inviting them in, you sit down in curious anticipation of what's got them so wound up. From behind their back the pull the ugliest, tackiest nick-nack you've ever seen. Like, it's the worst thing imaginable, it goes with literally no decore that exists or ever has existed. The person who created the damn thing should be shot. Twice. And then shot again while being flipped off by their ancestors. BUT, your significant other is somehow into it. They got it for you and are smiling ear to ear, nearly teary-eyed in the hopes they got you the bestest gift ever. You look them straight in the eyes and say.......?
  8. Do you feel more Dutch or Singaporean?

9. Why did you skip FIFA 14 on the PsVita?

10. Did you watch the Eurovision a few nights ago? What are your favourite songs if so?
  11. What's the most obscure sport you've played?
  12. Are you more of a Star Wars or LOTR kinda human?

13. If game characters were real and you could meet one, who would it be?

14. What's your opinion on live service games?

15. What's your opinion on games that have multiple updated releases with DLC (SFV, MK11)? Do you prefer to get it at launch or wait for and hope for a "complete edition"?

16. What's the stupidest game you've ever played?

17. Have you ever moved cities, towns, or a long way?

18. What's your dream job?

19. What's your dream vacation?

20. If there was one message you could give to the world or here at psnp, what would your message be?

21. What made you choose to study in Singapore, and were there other options you were considering?
  22. What were the best and worst things about living in the Netherlands, Singapore and UK?
  23. Have you ever stolen anything?
  24. As you've platted them all - how would you rank the GTA games and what features or improvements would you like to see in IV?
  25. Is it intentional that you have a lot of Yakuza milestones, and what would you say are the best and worst games in the series?
  26. What was it like working as a model and what made you decide to quit in the end?
  27. Is there a game you consider underrated or overrated?
  28. What's your food heaven and hell?
  29. For the games you will never 100% because of unobtainables (EG: NHL 2K10) do you try to get all of the obtainable trophies?
  30. Favourite game you got off Ps Plus or Ps now?
  31. Least favourite game you got from Ps Plus or Ps now?
  32. Who will finish higher next season in the championship, Norwich or Southampton?
  33. if you had the time, would you try to get all of the online trophies of a game done before shutdown?
Edited by Charizarzar
  • Like 3

If someone gave you a good career and you were financially stable for life (300k/yr) but had to give up gaming for good. Couldnt own or be around them. Would you take that deal?

What console is your least favorite and why?

Did you ever have a gaming drought? if so, how long was it and what game brought you back?

Thanks for your time. 

• Like 2

As a Norwich fan how much did you enjoy Luis Suarez coming to town? As a Liverpool fan I know I was always salivating at the chance to see him take on your defence

Who is your favourite Norwich City player of all time and why?

Why is it do you think that Norwich can never stay in the Prem for much more than a season at a time? Bad luck? Bad decisions? Bad players?

• Like 3

You come home after a long day to find your significant other on your doorstep. They seem very excited. Inviting them in, you sit down in curious anticipation of what's got them so wound up. From behind their back the pull the ugliest, tackiest nick-nack you've ever seen. Like, it's the worst thing imaginable, it goes with literally no decore that exists or ever has existed. The person who created the damn thing should be shot. Twice. And then shot again while being flipped off by their ancestors. BUT, your significant other is somehow into it. They got it for you and are smiling ear to ear, nearly teary-eyed in the hopes they got you the bestest gift ever. You look them straight in the eyes and say.......?

• Like 2

- Are you more of a Star Wars or LOTR kinda human?

- If game characters were real and you could meet one, who would it be?

- What's your opinion on live service games?

- What's your opinion on games that have multiple updated releases with DLC (SFV, MK11)? Do you prefer to get it at launch or wait for and hope for a "complete edition"?

- What's the stupidest game you've ever played?

- Have you ever moved cities,towns, or a long way?

- What's your dream job?

- What's your dream Vacation?

- If there was one message you could give to the world or here at psnp, what would your message be?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Thread is closing tonight, so some bonus questions to round things off:

1. What made you choose to study in Singapore, and were there other options you were considering?
  2. What were the best and worst things about living in the Netherlands, Singapore and UK?
  3. Have you ever stolen anything?
  4. Asking because you've platted them all - how would you rank the GTA games and what features or improvements would you like to see in IV?
  5. Is it intentional that you have a lot of Yakuza milestones, and what would you say are the best and worst games in the series?
  6. What was it like working as a model, and what made you decide to quit in the end?
  7. Is there a game you consider underrated or overrated?
  8. What's your food heaven and hell?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charizarzar said:

Thread is closing tonight, so some bonus questions to round things off

oh god i forgot this month's interview was open. uh, here's some hastily put together questions

1. for the games you will never 100% because of unobtainables (EG: NHL 2K10) do you try to get all of the obtainable trophies?
  2. Favourite game you got off Ps Plus or Ps now?
  3. Least favourite game you got from Ps Plus or Ps now?
  4. who will finish higher next season in the championship, Norwich or Southampton?
  5. if you had the time would you try to get all of the online trophies of a game done before shutdown?
  • Like 2