Thank God for only needing to roll up 2000 different items

Yeees this is such awesome news! I can't wait to dive into this lovely game again and without the super time-consuming and frustrating hassle of rolling up every item. Hopefully if there are more remasters of the other Katamari games (all of which deserve the remaster treatment) they do lists that don't force people to roll up everything because that is beyond annoying for most trophy hunters.

I love the Katamari games but had to give up on Katamari Forever on PS 3 on my old account after trying to find specific things as it took - literally - forever, and I even followed a list but it didn't help hehe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xLetsP1ayGod said:

Katamari 1 Reroll had you roll up EVERY item, this one lets you skip almost 1000 items. 

I was wondering this! I never played the original & I thought the trophy looked generous but I didn’t want to get my hopes up in case there were only 2001 items in the game and the 2001st was cowbear?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RuinousOne25 said:

Imagine if they had a trophy for the million roses Katamari. xD

OMG, I was so hoping that wouldn't happen.

3 hours ago, madbuk said:

Disappointing list that follows the trend of trophy lists getting easier and easier… But the bad list won’t ruin the game for me, Forever and Damacy were both a lot of fun so I’m excited for this

I have mixed feeling.

I did the full list on PS3 but honestly, grindy and not difficult trophies are just a waste of your life. I hate lists being made too easy just like you.

I prefer lists to be hard and not lengthy, cos you know, I have a life. So I didn't do the Reroll one. Maybe one day, but forcing myself to play a game over and over again, I don't want to start hating a game which I truly love.

I found the PS3 version a bit much, but that had "Turbo mode" and lovely rainbow flashing letters to show you had picked up a new item. Katamari Damacy Reroll has none of that and honestly, I don't know anybody who couldn't get enough of the game and loved that trophy.

I'm pleased the list on this one is more sensible.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

Kind of torn on this, to be honest; on the one hand, it means I may actually get the Platinum in this one. On the other, despite it being likely to be forever out of reach - I lack the patience, the acute vision, and the will to crawl through several thousand item long checklists at this point in my life - having a trophy for actually collecting everything feels like it fits the game, both thematically and mechanically.

I haven't played the original WLK but this looks like a good platinum list honestly. I imagine 2,000 items will still be somewhat of a challenge, but not a snooze-fest that was the King of Katamari Damacy grind. I got that platinum just because I loved that game but generally I'm all for platinums that don't require a grind.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, enaysoft said:

OMG, I was so hoping that wouldn't happen.

I have mixed feeling.

I did the full list on PS3 but honestly, grindy and not difficult trophies are just a waste of your life. I hate lists being made too easy just like you.

I prefer lists to be hard and not lengthy, cos you know, I have a life. So I didn't do the Reroll one. Maybe one day, but forcing myself to play a game over and over again, I don't want to start hating a game which I truly love.

I found the PS3 version a bit much, but that had "Turbo mode" and lovely rainbow flashing letters to show you had picked up a new item. Katamari Damacy Reroll has none of that and honestly, I don't know anybody who couldn't get enough of the game and loved that trophy.

I'm pleased the list on this one is more sensible.

It wasn’t a grind, though? Cowbear is infamous for a reason, and it’s not because it takes hours of mindless repetition to roll up.

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

It wasn’t a grind, though? Cowbear is infamous for a reason, and it’s not because it takes hours of mindless repetition to roll up.

Cowbear is not the issue, I enjoyed that challenge, I remember getting that one quite early one in the PS3 version, it's just all the weird tiny or obscure items where you might need to roll up to second size and then go all the way to an obscure area far away avoiding rolling up because it vanishes once you've up the third size etc. And it only exists on this one particular level and it's probably the really boring one where you need to roll up only crabs and it's a secret room that you probably never would find / care about anyway, because the Making The Star stages are much more fun, and the challenge levels barely have any items in them and feel like the PSP version.

Things like that are not fun, I spent about a month (without a guide) on the original PS3 version just for that trophy. Played each level about 5 times, rolling up the universe must have been 50-100 times, religiously randomly going about areas each time. And then ooh look at that, I rolled up one extra item, fuck knows where, but well, I did it.

That wasn't fun, honestly. Even with a guide, I mean who wants to look at, and study and make spreadsheets for what you need to collect and looking up youtube videos, comments etc.

Anybody can do that, collectibles that have no challenge and are find by exploring, they just aren't interesting, and in my opinion just aren't fun.

Perhaps this game has gone too far the other way. Like make it 95% instead of 100% and not this low.

I think trophies are way too easy now, I wish trophy lists were harder, but sometimes there's hard and just a bit dickish.

Yeah it's part of the game, something to do I just don't think difficulty trophies need to be lengthy, that's all.

And the fact this thread even exists, I dare say there's a lot of people who agree with.

Make your trophies challenging and fun, not dickish.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Limitedsphere said:

Do anyone know what the King's memories of old are? Could it be that all memories actually only unlock on 100 % completion? 

Good question, but I assume it might just be the videos? The "story" of the game?

16 hours ago, madbuk said:

Disappointing list that follows the trend of trophy lists getting easier and easier… But the bad list won’t ruin the game for me, Forever and Damacy were both a lot of fun so I’m excited for this

I think the list can motivate, and so it does remove some of the motivation to do everything, and in that sense, it ruins the game a bit, especially for a trophy hunter. I don't think we need another mini-game trophy, like in the "game over" screen one in Forever, but all items? Hell yeah!

Edited by MMDE

21 hours ago, MasterMeneX said:

I got the Damacy Reroll Platinum a while ago. It was so fucking boring having to replay 15+ minute levels over and over for a single item and needing a checklist to keep track of everything. Really stupid. I'm glad they changed it for this one, hopefully they keep doing this treatment for the next games as well.

If you're using a checklist, you're probably doing it wrong. IMO, you're doing it completely wrong. There was no need to use a checklist in Reroll.

What you do is try to get all items on your own, maybe play some of the more complete levels of each "size" a couple of times. The few items you then still miss you can look up.

11 minutes ago, Genjiff said:

TBH Rolling up every item wouldn't be that bad if they added a way to track which items you already got. It's only fair to let players track their progress without resorting to excel sheets

I'm pretty sure you CAN keep track of this. I don't know why you guys are talking about excel sheets and keeping track of every item and whatnot... Is there some guide or something that has told you guys to do this? I'd say that is playing the game wrong, and I haven't needed to do it in any of the games.

^ The automatic checklist.

So when you've played through the game, and the two-three more "complete" levels a second time, you can start to hunt down specific items. Just look at the collections, and compare to some complete list that tells you where they are. Go for that level and get it. You'll likely get something else you missed too. After doing this a few times you got pretty much every item. Continue a bit more and you got them all, but usually there are a few that are tricky or a bit more hidden. :)

Is what I'm suggesting slow? Well... I still got top 10 time without really trying. In fact, I was #1 or #2 fastest when I did it. A good chunk of the time was spent on Cowbear and Holy Cow, which if I'd do it again right afterwards, I'd get in a fraction of the time.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MMDE said:

If you're using a checklist, you're probably doing it wrong. IMO, you're doing it completely wrong. There was no need to use a checklist in Reroll.

I agree with this 100%

I plat Katamari Forever & Katamari Damacy Reroll and I never needed to make or use any checklist in either game.

I got almost every item through natural gameplay just by rolling through levels & repeating them a few times to unlock eternal modes etc. The handful of items I had left at the end of the game I just googled searched to find out exactly what level & where to find them, then I went & rolled them up.

Even though there’s no trophy for it I’ll still be aiming to get 100% collection again just for the fun of it! 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 0:34 AM, MMDE said:

That's not true, I played the PS3 version for an extra month, played every single stage about 5 times (and there's a whole ton of variations, 4 on every stage in the PS3 version)

Exploring every nook and cranny on every stage at every size without rolling up too quickly etc. It took me a long time to randomly roll up everything.

Reroll is way worse because it doesn't have the gold letters telling if you picked up a new item for the first time.

A few UI improvements would have helped all these games IMMENSELY.

Like on every stage before you start, have a percent, which stages do you already have 100% on? And since most don't have infinite time "eternal" to rely on. Your only option is just to play each stage over and over again.

Saying "you're doing it completely wrong" is a bit unfair to say, because like for me personally I just want to enjoy the game, I wasted a lot of time playing each stage over and over again when I didn't want to play the game "doing it completely wrong"

and even then it wasn't enough to find all the items, was stuck at 99% for weeks. And looking at the lists and a ton of ????????????

I am pretty sure I used a guide on the PS3 version although I can't quite remember.

Using a guide or a spreadsheet is unfortunately essential. Well either that or you just have to play the game way more, is all.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, enaysoft said:

That's not true, I played the PS3 version for an extra month, played every single stage about 5 times (and there's a whole ton of variations, 4 on every stage in the PS3 version)

Exploring every nook and cranny on every stage at every size without rolling up too quickly etc. It took me a long time to randomly roll up everything.

Reroll is way worse because it doesn't have the gold letters telling if you picked up a new item for the first time.

A few UI improvements would have helped all these games IMMENSELY.

Like on every stage before you start, have a percent, which stages do you already have 100% on? And since most don't have infinite time "eternal" to rely on. Your only option is just to play each stage over and over again.

Saying "you're doing it completely wrong" is a bit unfair to say, because like for me personally I just want to enjoy the game, I wasted a lot of time playing each stage over and over again when I didn't want to play the game "doing it completely wrong"

and even then it wasn't enough to find all the items, was stuck at 99% for weeks. And looking at the lists and a ton of ????????????

I am pretty sure I used a guide on the PS3 version although I can't quite remember.

Using a guide or a spreadsheet is unfortunately essential. Well either that or you just have to play the game way more, is all.

I've played all of the Katamari games, except the xbox and vita ones. The game itself always keep track of what items you've got, and so at the end you just need to check which items you miss and get them. It's very simple and does not take as long you say, at all. I've not used a guide for any of the games, but I have looked up like a complete list of items, and the in-game list is easy to compare and figure out what you're missing with. The previous game, I got platinum in 2 days, and much of the second day was spent on Cow Bear and Holy Cow. I'm not some amazing player at Katamari, and I streamed it all, so you can look at how I played yourself.

Also, this is a collectible game, sucks star sized balls you don't need to collect them all tbh. The trophy list we got here is a casual playthrough.

On 6/1/2023 at 4:57 AM, Amffy said:

I haven't played the original WLK but this looks like a good platinum list honestly. I imagine 2,000 items will still be somewhat of a challenge, but not a snooze-fest that was the King of Katamari Damacy grind. I got that platinum just because I loved that game but generally I'm all for platinums that don't require a grind.

Game will probably have closer to 3000 items. I doubt it, sounds like a casual playthrough.

Edited by MMDE