Sable - PS5 performance?

YimSiphny

Hello you beautiful, beautiful people.

Sable is on sale on the PS store for a while and my finger is hovering on the 'buy' button... But I did some research and found out that performance is apparently terrible on PS5... Has it been patched to run smoothly? Is it worth the purchase as it stands currently?

Thanks in advance :-)

Edited by YimSiphny
To sound more like a question than a statement!
  • Like 1

Performance is still abysmal, sadly. Framerate drops and stutters abound and it gets worse as it goes along. At one point it even hard-locked my PS5 and I had to switch my console off from the mains.

It apparently runs like trash on series x as well but I haven't played it there. The scary part is that it has a last gen version for xbox and I suspect that it was such a horror show there that the devs decided on not having a PS4 version.

That being said, don't let that discourage you from playing an otherwise great open world game with stunning art direction.  Your tolerance for the aforementioned technical issues may be higher than mine and it's definitely worth getting on sale. Just be aware of those issues. Enjoy. ☺️

ETA: Also worth noting if you're going for the platinum that the fishing trophy can be a pain since the fishing rarely actually works - as in Sable fails to pull out her rod very often. Expect many quit-to-dashboard moments. 

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom
  • Like 4

Thanks for the response!

I gave in and made the purchase yesterday, and played for about 30 mins last night. I felt quite positive --even though I've only reached the point where I have to 'mark' 3 areas where I've got to gather bits of bike, it's been pretty smooth. At the back of my mind I was preparing myself for things to go downhill once the map 'opened up'... Sounds like that'll be the case.

I'll probably persevere and moan about it on here once I've finished the game, if I can finish the game ?

Shame, Sable is genuinely lovely to look at and listen to, just wish the devs had lavished as much attention to optimisation and having the game running as fluidly as it deserves to. Where's the petition?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to add that the only place I noticed severe framerate drops was in the forest section of the map.  Otherwise the experience was fairly smooth.  Thankfully, it's pretty easy to minimize the time spent in the forest area and there were enough collectables elsewhere that I didn't have to backtrack there much at all.

This game is 100% worth playing despite the performance issues.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I came to start a new topic 

"Why is SABLE rated so low on PSN?"

*518 PSN ratings:

40% - 1 star.

6% - 2 stars.

9% - 3 stars.

11% - 4 stars.

34% - 5 stars.

Yikes. That is the first game I have come across where 1 star was the majority lol. Again, yikes.

But... the game looks so cool. So I was like 🤷‍♂️ what gives.

But then decided I dont need to, cuz saw this thread and thought ah. Ok. This'll be it. 

Sable had been in my wishlist so I was excited to see it free on ps+ this month.

Just downloaded it, checked app update info log and it says last patched/updated today, 6th/Dec/2023, so that's good news, maybe it's fixed some performance issues. 🤷‍♂️

As long as the trophies still unlock then I'll cope and still play it, I'm too curious cuz the art-style of trailers etc looks too awesome to miss up to me

Edited by esstee11

Just to add a dissenting opinion, I played it (almost a year ago, on the recommendation of my brother) and don't remember having any real issues with it. Granted, my tolerance for things like frame rate issues might be higher than others, but it couldn't have been THAT bad.

I thought it was a worthwhile play. Maybe not the best game ever, but one star seems way too harsh.

• Like 3

The game still suffers from performance issues

- The framerate drops a lot, especially when driving in desert.

- Fishing is also very buggy and the game won't respond to button presses

This game looked very promising based on the trailer but the gameplay is very terrible. I won't recommend playing this

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeyJr-YT said:

The game still suffers from performance issues

- The framerate drops a lot, especially when driving in desert.

- Fishing is also very buggy and the game won't respond to button presses

This game looked very promising based on the trailer but the gameplay is very terrible. I won't recommend playing this

I have about 2 hours played now. For me, it seems driving around in the open areas cause the most stuttering, but as soon as I get off and walk around it is smooth again. Autosaving causes hiccups in the frame rate, but overall I was expecting much, much worse. Hardly unplayable, just really annoying when driving from place to place. 

34 minutes ago, Mr_Fluffy_Pants_ said:

It also an indie game made by two people, so I’m cutting it some slack.

I've played great games made by one person that ran fine so I don't really believe in this excuse anymore.

There is such a thing as biting off more than one can chew.

Again, it's a great game but I couldn't wait to uninstall it by the end because of how bad the performance was.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Akrioz said:

Good thing this thread popped up. Deleted the game, doesn't seem to be worth it.

Doing the exact same. I don't want frame drops every minute and that's what I'm getting. This is definitely not worth that.

Inexcusable that they never fixed these frame issues. I don't care if your team is 1 person or 100. If performance isn't your key factor than you aren't probably going to go very far. I should look up how the reviews look on steam because the playstation store is pretty accurate. 

Edited by Dangisuckatgamin

The state of this game is a travesty. I have not played a game performing this badly since the PS3 era. Selling a game with that framerate is borderline criminal.

It's miracle that there's no glitched trophies considering I run into bugs regularly. Unresponsive menus, stuck in menus needing restart, my character disappearing while driving, environment not catching up with loading, weird collision and clipping errors.

Edited by HAILtoSTARSCREAM
  • Like 1

The game froze on me about 7 times today, very interesting artwork and this is the rub a beautifully crafted game  and nice soundtrack with bad coding in  it, that includes clipping graphics, Sable disappears and the hoverbike just stops or  freezes and the fishing is slow in certain areas anyway, I had to quit out of game as I said 7 times.    I actually didn't buy it and got it for free this month.   Who did they get to test this game for them, because they obviously didn't go through it with a fine toothed comb and tell them about the problems it has on all formats.  

I am going to play to the Platinum, but I will uninstall afterwards and go for something else.   

• 1 month later...

I'm about 7 hours in, and I find the performance is really not a big deal. There is no twitch gameplay here. The game is more about slowing down, contemplating and reflecting - for me it kinda works in this regard. But If you're a person that gets high blood pressure from frame stuttering, I can see it having the opposite effect 😄

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Initially when I saw this post I was an hour or two in and thought it was nonsense... After getting deeper into the game, especially going further into the world and areas such as the jungle the performance is very noticeably bad. 

It's such a shame because the game is absolutely breathtaking and if it weren't for these performance issues I would easily climb the nearest cliffs before my stamina ran out and telling everyone with a PS5 to play this! 

... I'm definitely not giving up on the game, it's such a nice break from everything else and one thing I can recommend to anyone who wants to give it a go is to disable the anti-aliasing option in the game, I found that helps a bit. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 2:28 PM, jimmy020889 said:

Initially when I saw this post I was an hour or two in and thought it was nonsense... After getting deeper into the game, especially going further into the world and areas such as the jungle the performance is very noticeably bad. 

It's such a shame because the game is absolutely breathtaking and if it weren't for these performance issues I would easily climb the nearest cliffs before my stamina ran out and telling everyone with a PS5 to play this! 

... I'm definitely not giving up on the game, it's such a nice break from everything else and one thing I can recommend to anyone who wants to give it a go is to disable the anti-aliasing option in the game, I found that helps a bit. 

Completely agree, it is such a shame about the performance. At first I didn't mind too much, and with exception of the fishing mini-game, I don't think it hinders the gameplay at all. But the vibes are just SO much stronger in those brief moments when it cruises at a steady 60 FPS. It feels incredibly to look at and listen to in those moments, and the contrast from those highs really brought it down for me.

That being said, I still loved the game and I was really happy with my time with it (planning on getting the soundtrack on vinyl as well to remember it by). I hope the Devs were successful enough that their next project will be better supported on the technical side.

Another small tip for performance: Re-loading your game (going to the Main Menu and loading back in) improves performance temporarily. It can sometimes help if you are trying to fish in a particular spot.