Is there a free PS5 upgrade for US PS4 physical version?

54 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

I can't tell from the PlayStation store where both are listed as separate purchases. If you buy the digital deluxe edition at $89, it includes both PS4 & PS5 versions. I'm hoping there's a free upgrade, but I doubt it.

I have bought the most expensive edition that includes both PS4 and PS5 version.

34 minutes ago, skinnybass said:

Is there any differences between the versions? Want to get this game for me and my brother but only one of us have a ps5. Any downsides to buying the ps4 version, since it will run on both consoles?

PS4 ver is the only with PSVR support, so there's that.

They said the PS5 ver couldn't load the previous games PS4 saves, but that worked for me

• Like 1

The ps5 upgrade for the physical ps4 version is not yet available. It seems the publisher has technical problems with the playstation storefront. they didnt learn from the problems after the cold steel 4 release...

They need to fix this asap.

My physical ps4 clearly states on the backside, that there is a a free ps5 upgrade. I wanted to play the ps5 version first and maybe the ps4 version later.

22 minutes ago, PhillXVII said:

What for problems with Cold Steel 4?

People who preordered the digital deluxe edition of cs 4 could not download it on release. The preorder wasnt properly linked to the product-page ( or something similiar).

It took the publisher days to fix the problem.

Just wanted to say, that they havent learned from their past mistakes at all.

2 hours ago, Ranari_Kai said:

The ps5 upgrade for the physical ps4 version is not yet available. It seems the publisher has technical problems with the playstation storefront. they didnt learn from the problems after the cold steel 4 release...

They need to fix this asap.

My physical ps4 clearly states on the backside, that there is a a free ps5 upgrade. I wanted to play the ps5 version first and maybe the ps4 version later.

We've been told a few times pre-launch that the upgrade wasn't free and would be done via a small fee (but never told the fee), as that's how it worked in Asia - but, their PS5 version launched a while after the initial PS4 release.

Based on the image above though, it seems they've changed their mind and are giving physical buyers an upgrade, yet the digital seems to only give you an upgrade with the top two versions and not the standard one - I'm going to run this through the PR as it doesn't match what we were told.

Also, to the person above who said importing their PS4 save into the PS5 version worked - they must have fixed that when fixing the game-breaking issues I reported a few weeks ago as it didn't work for me. It's not an issue though as you can manually set the data it imported, allowing you to just set all relationships to max :)

1 hour ago, Dreadblood19 said:

So just to confirm this, if I buy the digital ps4 version of Trails into Reverie off the psn store I can't upgrade to the digital ps5 version?

Looking at the store listings - the top two versions give you both platforms and a bunch of DLC (IMO, the DLC isn't worth it as you get literally hundreds of cosmetics once you start exploring the Reverie in-game) - but the base games are PS4 or PS5 only.

However, NIS did tell us there's a fee to upgrade PS4 to PS5, but I don't think that's gone live on the store yet - it'll probably show itself as a discounted rate when you try to buy the PS5 version after the PS4 is bought. This happened with Real Farm as well, giving owners of the PS4 versions a permanent discount if they tried to get the PS5 version.

What makes it confusing is that the physical edition seems to be giving people the upgrade (or at least the box says it does) - but, all physical editions seem to be the 'Deluxe' version, which also gives you an upgrade if you buy that one digitally too (although it's like £30 more digitally for some reason - maybe you get different bonus content i.e. maybe you don't get the same DLC in the physical version?)

But, theoretically, you should be able to pay a fee and upgrade the base PS4 digital version - I have emailed the PR but they won't be back in the office until Monday now. Personally, they should have just made all versions cross-buy and made it simple!

• 2 weeks later...

it seems the psn store entry for the standard edition was fixed and includes now both the ps4 and the ps5 version of the game.

but i am still unable to download the digital ps5 update for my physical ps4 version.

has anybody of you people succussfully downloaded the update? maybe the option is hidden somewhere.

3 hours ago, Ranari_Kai said:

it seems the psn store entry for the standard edition was fixed and includes now both the ps4 and the ps5 version of the game.

but i am still unable to download the digital ps5 update for my physical ps4 version.

has anybody of you people succussfully downloaded the update? maybe the option is hidden somewhere.

I tried it again this morning and it still shows the full price for PS5 when I insert the disc.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Ranari_Kai said:

The free ps5 upgrade for owners of the physical ps4 version is finally live!

It took them 4 weeks to fix their mistake on the storefront...

I'm glad it's fixed and I can confirm it works.

I'm still mad that it tooks them 4 weeks to fix it. Other NIS America games that have PS4 / PS5 upgrades work day 1. I guess NIS America or Falcom were being greedy since it's Legend of Heroes, but it's fine now.