Video Capture for Vita

Pelziowo

I'm currently doing some research on different ways to get video capture for PSVita and wanted to ask some people here about what i would and wouldn't be able to do, as i wouldn't want to be flagged for certain methods and just be as safe as i can be.

So what i've currently been doing is using a PSTV to capture any PSVita gameplay, but the big problem with that is the large amount of blacklisted games which won't even start on the PSTV at all. There's quite a few games that do this that i would love to get video capture of, but the only methods i have found for doing so are using either CFW on the PSTV to whitelist the games, or to use CFW on the Vita to have video output through the charging port. I know very well how much CFW is frowned about on the site, but i wanted to know whether i would be allowed to use it for a purpose such as this, as my options are very limited.

I am also aware that there is modified hardware that a supplier in japan made a long time ago, which are PSVitas with video outputs put onto them, but these seem to be impossible to come by, and likely would be very expensive if i was to find one

If anybody has any suggestions for my issue, please let me know! I would love to be able to get capture for these blocked games

• Like 1

There is currently no way to enable video capture on the Vita without hacking on the software side (aka CFW, which is forbidden on this site) or doing serious hardware modifications.

For the PSTV, there used to be the Whitelist hack (v1 and v2), which worked without a hacked Vita, but won't work with a system running 3.74 (latest version, required for PSN).

3 minutes ago, StarWolf3000 said:

There is currently no way to enable video capture on the Vita without hacking on the software side (aka CFW, which is forbidden on this site) or doing serious hardware modifications.

For the PSTV, there used to be the Whitelist hack (v1 and v2), which worked without a hacked Vita, but won't work with a system running 3.74 (latest version, required for PSN).

i mentioned the whitelist option for the PSTV, but that still involves CFW so i don't understand how that would be any different

Just now, Pelziowo said:

i mentioned the whitelist option for the PSTV, but that still involves CFW so i don't understand how that would be any different

No, the original whitelist hacks didn't need a CFW installed (CFW = system software with ability to run unsigned code), because they involved some later-fixed flaws in the Mail app by allowing to download and manipulate the app title database. Which means on database rebuild or LiveArea refresh it was gone. This could entirely be done with an unmodified PSTV and no system components were changed.

2 minutes ago, StarWolf3000 said:

No, the original whitelist hacks didn't need a CFW installed (CFW = system software with ability to run unsigned code), because they involved some later-fixed flaws in the Mail app by allowing to download and manipulate the app title database. Which means on database rebuild or LiveArea refresh it was gone. This could entirely be done with an unmodified PSTV and no system components were changed.

That's interesting, sadly not really the solution i'm looking for if i can't connect to PSN though, as i wanted to broadcast doing trophy hunting on certain games

That's more so the reason why i asked here, to find out what i can and can't do, without getting in trouble with the site.

My goal was to find a solution that's ethical, but that doesn't really seem viable unless i could get one of the old modded PSVitas

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/27/2023 at 7:24 PM, StarWolf3000 said:

There is currently no way to enable video capture on the Vita without hacking on the software side (aka CFW, which is forbidden on this site)

On 7/27/2023 at 7:50 PM, StarWolf3000 said:

Other places might be able to help you, this site however can't because of their rules and PSN ToS.

Isn't CFW usage only illegal when used to earn or alter trophies? That's how I interpret the rules anyway.

Using a CFW is not illegal. Using it only shifts all responsibility to the one who uses it, and rises the risk of getting banned on PSN and/or this site (though I haven't seen a single case where a user was banned from PSN for using CFW on the Vita, while there have been lots of banned profiles on PS3).

And unless you tell someone you're using CFW or your activities (unobtainable trophies for example) make it visible, no one would be able to say you're using CFW, at least on Vita.

Edited by StarWolf3000

On 7/27/2023 at 7:24 PM, StarWolf3000 said:

[...] serious hardware modifications.

This is what I am currently working on. Got two brand new in box Vitas that I am demolishing; one for HDMI output and another with a built in capture card.

Wish me luck.

40 minutes ago, StarWolf3000 said:

Using a CFW is not illegal. Using it only shifts all responsibility to the one who uses it, and rises the risk of getting banned on PSN and/or this site (though I haven't seen a single case where a user was banned from PSN for using CFW on the Vita, while there have been lots of banned profiles on PS3).

And unless you tell someone you're using CFW or your activities (unobtainable trophies for example) make it visible, no one would be able to say you're using CFW, at least on Vita.

In this case, the evidence would be unavoidable. You're recording/streaming gameplay. Then the question is "how is this person getting recordings of a blacklisted PSTV game". I like to be very transparent and honest about the things I do, so the concept of hiding this is already thrown out the window.

Kind of gave up on this anyway, unless a CRT member says otherwise. It's such a shame because there's a lot of blacklisted PSTV games I want to broadcast trophy hunting

4 hours ago, Pelziowo said:

It's such a shame because there's a lot of blacklisted PSTV games I want to broadcast trophy hunting

Is the broadcasting the important part or getting the trophies on your account the important part. If the broadcasting is the important part, do it on an alt account if you’re worried about the effect on your main. 

22 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Is the broadcasting the important part or getting the trophies on your account the important part. If the broadcasting is the important part, do it on an alt account if you’re worried about the effect on your main. 

Both are as important as each other, if I can't do both of them on my main, then I just won't bother to do it at all

Broadcasting the trophies you earn should allow you to gather enough evidence you did not cheat them.

Before starting to play, show your psn on your vita. After your session update your psn on your vita and show it. The timestamps should match the ones on your psnp.

I am not saying you should do it, only that it can be done. A lot of people also play games on the VITA from other regions, and getting these games is also questionable, even without the use of CFW.

16 minutes ago, Cauvuh_Lakrwa said:

A lot of people also play games on the VITA from other regions, and getting these games is also questionable, even without the use of CFW.

There's a shitload of Vita physicals in Japan and Asia in general, more than double the amount we got in the west. It is (or was, as prices went up and availbility got down) easier to get those games on cart and played on your profile (remember, Vita carts are region-free).

• Like 1

Only viable way to make video's of vita gameplay without CFW or risky things is just an external camera pointing at the screen.

Way back in the day I made a few video's like that. Used a digital photo camera that could also make video's. Had that on top of something (stack of books?) so I could hold the vita in front of it while I sat behind it and then all lights out in the room and at night so it was very dark in the room.

Only mistake I made: the camera still had auto focus on, so sometimes it would re-focus depending on what was shown on the vita screen and that made some parts blurry.

I know it wasn't the most comfortable way to record stuff on a handheld but... it's the only thing I can think of.
Maybe today there are better ways to set up now we have smartphones and all sort of things to hold them with.
My digital camera was from a time shortly before smartphones similar to what we have now got big. I still had a Nokia with a physical numeric keyboard at the time 😅