Has anyone successfully had a game license revoked by request?

Senex26

So a month ago I was browsing the store when I noticed it gave me the option to download the Black Ops 3 Zombie Chronicles edition for free, I think because I have PS essential. I downloaded it with no intention of playing it immediately, it's in my backlog so I just thought it'd be good to have it.

Then I realised to get the 100% for this game I'd need either the season pass or the Zombie Chronicles Deluxe edition. The season pass is never on sale, but the deluxe edition goes on sale regularly.

Annoyingly, because I downloaded the game off PS Plus I'm barred from buying this deluxe edition because it says buying it would conflict with a product I already own, which is the regular Zombies edition.

I've been to PS support and after numerous back and forth they simply refused to remove the license for the regular edition which would allow me to upgrade. They say nothing can be done till next February when the game leaves the pass. That's over six months? I'm concerned the game won't even be on sale then, plus it's just so unnecessarily long to wait for something so simple to fix.

Has anyone else been in this position and had any success? I haven't even opened the game but apparently that isn't a factor.

Such a pain. This is why 90% of my purchases are physical, but season passes for COD games are never available physical.

I do recall being told by support that as 14 days had elapsed since I "purchased" I was ineligible for a refund. 

This happens in some specific situations, simply because Sony is such a shitty mess. annoyingly, your option is to buy the desired game on an alternate account, as your account is tied to that purchase forever, even if you leave psplus one day, there will still be license conflicts between some things. There are some things I've just given up on understanding, and just accepted that it's a goddamn mess. Also, Sony's support sucks.

9 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

Yes and it's a very quick and easy process. Problem is most people at Sony support are complete idiots. It took me multiple attempts to get the right person, and when I did she did it in about 60sec! 

This sounds hopeful. So you just kept trying different staff until eventually one did it for you? Did you phone or use the chat assistant?

11 minutes ago, Senex26 said:

This sounds hopeful. So you just kept trying different staff until eventually one did it for you? Did you phone or use the chat assistant?

Yea just keep trying, I always use chat. I can't exactly remember how it works but I think if you end chat you have to wait 24hrs to try again, so what I did was either ask to speak to someone else or just stop responding until they close chat, if I remember correctly when they close chat you can immediately try again. 

I could be wrong or it could've changed as it's been a year since I last contacted them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

You could actually just make a dummy account buy the deluxe edition on it download it and play it on your main account bit of a work around 

I would do this as long as I can earn the trophies on my main. How do you go about doing this? Would it not bar me from playing it if I try to select it on my main account?

19 minutes ago, Senex26 said:

I would do this as long as I can earn the trophies on my main. How do you go about doing this? Would it not bar me from playing it if I try to select it on my main account?

Nah just creat a new profile on your consol and buy it and start it downloading then switch over to your main account as long as your consol is set to main anything on it is free game to the other accounts on it and if it's on a PS5 all the accounts on it can share content it's basically game sharing with yourself I do it when I'm self boosting stuff and use dummy accounts they share plus and everything cause they are on a main consol 

To sum it up just make another account on your consol buy it download then just switch to your main to play it

I had to get the psplus goat simulator license removed when I wanted to buy the goaty edition, contacted somone on the live chat and told them what I was trying to do, they got it fixed in just a few minutes, had no problems. Pretty sure i had to do that for ghost of tsushima as well for the directors cut. Anywhos, just keep trying the chat thing someone should be able to help you eventually

11 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Nah just creat a new profile on your consol and buy it and start it downloading then switch over to your main account as long as your consol is set to main anything on it is free game to the other accounts on it and if it's on a PS5 all the accounts on it can share content it's basically game sharing with yourself I do it when I'm self boosting stuff and use dummy accounts they share plus and everything cause they are on a main consol 

To sum it up just make another account on your consol buy it download then just switch to your main to play it

Exactly, this how my kids and I share games.

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies everyone. I think the dummy account method sounds best, although I will keep trying PS support when I have the time. Funny how PlayStation themselves don't have a protocol for this specific issue, it's either they do it or they don't!

It’s honestly surprising stuff like this doesn’t happen more often with so many games having all these various “versions” and “editions” to confuse the hell out of the buyer, especially when I can’t find them in the store half the time. I’ve never actually heard of an instance of conflicting product licenses though so I’m not sure what to do, but it’s really hard to imagine Sony doesn’t have the power to rectify this situation for you if they really wanted to.

It sounds like some people have had success with certain customer service employees so you could keep trying that route, but if you grow tired of dealing with these people I’d just recommend doing what Taliesin suggested and buy the version you want on an alternate account. Once the game is downloaded to your console hard drive, all the accounts on your system will be able to access it so you can play & earn trophies on your main account. The only downside to this is that technically your alt will always own that version of the game, but it shouldn’t be a big deal.