How would you like to see your future ?

Yami

I snooped around the age thread and found that most forummites (as PSNp calls it themselves) are between 15 and 19 I believe and another good chunk is between 20 and 24... so you guys must all have a bright future ! Since I haven't seen a similar thread, how would you like to see your future ? This question is actually job intended hence I'm 18 and finnishing my highschool in June and I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do next so... However if you wanna talk/share about anything else that's future related, feel free to do so !

Well then, first some background. As I already said I'm graduating highschool in June. This is in a faculty called science & modern languages (I live in Belgium so you might not have an equivalent :S ) so the most logical choice and which is also my first one, is to do something with science since I've studied it for 4 full years now and I'm kinda done studying languages (I've studied Dutch,German,French and English and Dutch is my native tongue). So I'm considering going to universty in the faculty of "Pure maths" (I like maths, I can't help it).
However, I'm actually also dreaming a bit of becoming a scenarist (for either games or movies) or a writer, but I'm actually afraid it's out of my league.
Anyone has some advice or comments ?

Edited by DarKNesS_X
  • Like 2

Well then, first some background. As I already said I'm graduating highschool in June. This is in a faculty called science & modern languages (I live in Belgium so you might not have an equivalent :S ) so the most logical choice and which is also my first one, is to do something with science since I've studied it for 4 full years now and I'm kinda done studying languages (I've studied Dutch,German,French and English and Dutch is my native tongue). So I'm considering going to universty in the faculty of "Pure maths" (I like maths, I can't help it).

However, I'm actually also dreaming a bit of becoming a scenarist (for either games or movies) or a writer, but I'm actually afraid it's out of my league.

Anyone has some advice or comments ?

Lol, i've done the same thing in most of my high school career (i'm also from Belgium :D) Now i'm in my first year of college when majoring in chemistry. But seems like i'm not enjoying it very much so i'm going to switch to computer sciences next year... Hopefully that'll work out a bit better =)

I'm not really sure about what to do with my future so i'm kinda trying new stuff out.

• Like 1

My classmates joke that most of us will work in McDonald's because most of us are having a hard time in High School... but that's not most likely going to happen to me.  B)

My future can either be:

1) A computer programmer (I get high grades at Computer Class)

2) A civil engineer (following my dad's footsteps)

3) A writer (I can express a lot through writing poems, in Filipino or English)

4) A chess GM or a basketball player (I was a former varsity of both sports, although I stayed one year for both sports, especially chess because its training is tedious like solving puzzles and basketball pulled my grades a bit)

5) A Dota 2 Professional Player (IN MY DREAMS, although I'm improving)

6) And if anything goes wrong, McDonald's BABY.  B)

Edited by bigbirdisHOT
  • Like 1

The only thing stopping you from achieving your dreams, are the excuses you make for yourself...

Trust me, I'm a superstar dj, brain surgeon who is an astronaut in his spare time

Yeah, I am all those things too... In my dreams ;) Yet, if you are a skilled enough writer, you CAN be all these things through your characters ?!

That's why it is so appealing

I want my children to have a rich father and very hot mother...

And plz tell me, which one of them are you (planning to become) ? ;)

Edited by DarKNesS_X

Give me one completely valid reason why becoming a scenarist or a writer is "out of your league"?

Because you know, there's no real specific education for it and is completely dependant on your skill and creativity.

Also, speaking for the scenarist, I like to think that there's not much demand for them ;

Edited by eburkulosis

Because you know, there's no real specific education for it and is completely dependant on your skill and creativity.

Also, speaking for the scenarist, I like to think that there's not much demand for them ;s

By that logic, wouldn't that make it an infinitely more accessible profession as a result? I mean, when you compare it to something like pursuing a job in neuroscience, which has a very particular - and costly - set of qualifications required for any prospective job in the field, it's relatively simple. You've pretty much just said that you are only limited by yourself, your emotions, your creativity, your direction and your desire to write - everything else in this world of ours is secondary in the writer's world. If you have those things, you'll always be able to write something. 

In my blunt as a ♥ opinion, you've essentially given up before you've even started. When I hear somebody who's in a good position in life say that their life's goal is something that is "out of my league" or "not possible," I automatically come to one of two conclusions:

1. They're not fucking arsed to put the work into attaining their goal.

2. They're worried what people will think. 

Both attributes are the fucking death of any potential success. Now, I'm going to go out on a limb here, but based on what you wrote you aren't lacking the determination or drive to make your goal an actuality - you're lacking the confidence. You regret the things you don't do in this life way more than the things you do, so throw any self-doubt out the window and don't compare your work to others: you've a unique voice, just like all the other writers, so use it. 

By the way, you couldn't be more wrong with your, "there's not much demand for them" comment. People are always on the hunt for new screenplays that'll bring in the money, the only problem is that the industry is inundated with shite screenplays. So, I'd rephrase your original comment to something like this: "there's not much demand for shite screenplays." 

And there is of course an education to be a writer: read. A lot. Indulge in the Hemmingways, the Joyces, the Bukowskis, the Fitzgeralds, any writer you an think of. Read as much as you can of anything you can find, observe the mad world around you and you'll find yourself - subconsciously and consciously - picking up little ways to improve your own writing. 

Who knows, you could end up writing a fantastic film about a photographer who can see math in his photos, or whatever you can come up with. But again, what the fuck do I know? 

• Like 3

By that logic, wouldn't that make it an infinitely more accessible profession as a result? I mean, when you compare it to something like pursuing a job in neuroscience, which has a very particular - and costly - set of qualifications required for any prospective job in the field, it's relatively simple. You've pretty much just said that you are only limited by yourself, your emotions, your creativity, your direction and your desire to write - everything else in this world of ours is secondary in the writer's world. If you have those things, you'll always be able to write something. 

In my blunt as a ♥ opinion, you've essentially given up before you've even started. When I hear somebody who's in a good position in life say that their life's goal is something that is "out of my league" or "not possible," I automatically come to one of two conclusions:

1. They're not fucking arsed to put the work into attaining their goal.

2. They're worried what people will think. 

Both attributes are the fucking death of any potential success. Now, I'm going to go out on a limb here, but based on what you wrote you aren't lacking the determination or drive to make your goal an actuality - you're lacking the confidence. You regret the things you don't do in this life way more than the things you do, so throw any self-doubt out the window and don't compare your work to others: you've a unique voice, just like all the other writers, so use it. 

By the way, you couldn't be more wrong with your, "there's not much demand for them" comment. People are always on the hunt for new screenplays that'll bring in the money, the only problem is that the industry is inundated with shite screenplays. So, I'd rephrase your original comment to something like this: "there's not much demand for shite screenplays." 

And there is of course an education to be a writer: read. A lot. Indulge in the Hemmingways, the Joyces, the Bukowskis, the Fitzgeralds, any writer you an think of. Read as much as you can of anything you can find, observe the mad world around you and you'll find yourself - subconsciously and consciously - picking up little ways to improve your own writing. 

Who knows, you could end up writing a fantastic film about a photographer who can see math in his photos, or whatever you can come up with. But again, what the fuck do I know? 

Wow, I actually never thought of it this way. You just cranked up my mood and made my day good sir !

I'm determined to try my best, with your signature kept in mind offcourse ;) And who knows what'll happen.

But anyhow, you're only 23 yourself and I'm pretty interested in your story too ! If you want to share it that is :)

I'm 24 so I'm one of the older ones :P  My hopes for the future is just to have a decent job.. possibly even one in the Games Industry (it's what I studied.. and yet, there is no jobs in that area here), I'm jobless right now :( not as easy to fix when jobs are that sparse in this country.

The only thing stopping you from achieving your dreams, are the excuses you make for yourself...

Trust me, I'm a superstar dj, brain surgeon who is an astronaut in his spare time

Do you tell that to yourself when your collect teh welfare benefits. :P

Edit: Even tho I made this joke, I still fear you and your ways.

Edited by supa-bane