Scholar/Lost Books Bugged (Plus Explorer)

VladimirKal

I've not seen anyone on here post about it so I thought I'd make people aware that the lost books can bug out which also had the knock-on effect for me of being unable to unlock Explorer either.

I collected all seven books (also re-checked all locations to make sure) and when I went to turn the last in Basim kept saying that he had nothing more yet for the collector.

At this point I checked the map and every territory is at 100% so I pressed to track the mission from the investigation menu and it shows me as collecting only 5/6 for the mission.

Unfortunately my earliest save I had from hours before when I still only had the last book to collect from the Round City only shows 4/6 and so it seems like one has not counted as collected at some point and I've not spotted the tracker not increase.

4 minutes ago, skin_it_up said:

This bug happen to me twice until I figured out the work around to complete the book mission and stop it glitching out 😫

What was the workaround?

I'd tried reloading, restarting and going back around all the locations and nothing so far has fixed it.

19 minutes ago, xIRockyRock said:

You just mentioned you collected all 7 books. But if you fully discovered the map you have only 6 books. One isn’t shown on the map and can be found far east of the map in the desert. Did you collect this as well?

Thanks, I know a lot of people have missed that one but I definitely collected that one too. (Throwing the jar through th floor at the ruins and I'm sure he gave me the "Eldritch themed" talisman after it.)

1 minute ago, VladimirKal said:

What was the workaround?

I'd tried reloading, restarting and going back around all the locations and nothing so far has fixed it.

I think he referred to that hidden book that is not shown on the tracker. The location is shown in the post above.

There's also a vendor named 'map collector' or something. You can pay them scholar tokens to reveal collectibles on the map. Maybe try that if the hidden book that.
The icon looks a bit like a real life star (cross with a dot).

A new save mine was bugged 4/6 books but had all 7 couldn’t turn them in I think I know what caused this glitch twice the fix is to not collect any books until you beat the story make sure you have the quest tracked collect 6 of the books than the unmarked book then go hand them in I believe picking books up before the quest bugs out the quest 

• Like 1

I picked up all books before beating the story. My last book was collected during the mission that you enter the palace (can't get it earlier).

I do now remember that I had to talk 2 or even 3 times to the person before the mission was completely finished.

Yes. You hand over 1, then 2, then 3 or something. Then my quest was completed but the trophy didn’t unlock. So I read about the hidden book, which also triggers a special voice line. Maybe it has to be the last book to collect. Or maybe only collect it, when you finished the quest completely. 

Maybe it glitches out if you hand over the hidden book as a normal part of the quest, and the game can’t trigger the special voiceline for last. 

Don’t know how this hot garbage trophy was coded.

Edited by xIRockyRock
  • Like 1

I know I turned in a few books about halfway (2-4 books) when I came across him the first time.
Then I collected everything else and the book in the palace was my last collectible overall which popped the overall collectible trophy(explorer).

Some time later I went back to him to finish for the scholar trophy. And what I remember from the dialogue, is that I got the special book dialogue as part of this.

So yeah, having all books before you turn anything in or at least making sure the special book is part of the last batch might help avoiding it glitch.

13 minutes ago, Deluziion90 said:

So does anyone have a step by step how to approach this trophy?

I've just started the game so should I ignore all books and just do all of them at once + the special one people have been talking about or what's the way to go?

Just finish the story so the 6th book is available to pick up then mark the book quest pick all books up 1 to 6 then pick up 7th hidden book hand in quest make a backup just incase 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skin_it_up said:

Just finish the story so the 6th book is available to pick up then mark the book quest pick all books up 1 to 6 then pick up 7th hidden book hand in quest make a backup just incase 

So just ignore all books, finish the game and then get the books all at once right?

Was checking around the internet to see if anyone else ran in to this problem but yes your collectibles can glitch and lock you out of the explorer trophy. I gathered all collectibles but one of them still appears on my map even though i already have it and got the respective trophy for it. It is not unique to the books as it was Dervis artifact in my case. 

To avoid this problem I recommend not reloading your saves as this is what caused it for me. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk

A bit of a good but strange update for me is that I had some time last night and for my Ubisoft support ticket that I filed to make them aware of it, they wanted screenshots so I done the exact same as the previous night of following Powerpyx's guide to re-check locations. (Both times going right to where it should be, not just looking for the symbol from a distance/on the map.)

This time though a book (Lost Book #3: Al-Kwarizmi: Al-Jabr) was in a building in Abbasiyah, NW of the observatory (just East of the collector) although the symbol for it wasn't on my map and Abbasiyah still showed as 100% complete before collecting it.

I picked it up and Explorer popped and then I was able to turn it in to get the reward and corresponding trophy. The counter for the area didn't change in case that's worth mentioning.

So perhaps a possible solution for some people is to try a couple of times of fully closing the game (maybe even restart the console), follow the guide of going to each location and hope the missing one(s) appear in one of the locations.

So I popped this trophy twice after testing I can confirm if you wait until after beating the story mark the book quest and pick up all 6 books then go back to him returning the 6 books then go get the 7th hidden book turn it in pops trophy I believe picking books up before the quest bugs it out and I also believe picking up the hidden book will bug quest out just do as I said you be fine I done a lot of testing 4 runs of the game 

Edited by skin_it_up
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, skin_it_up said:

So I popped this trophy twice after testing I can confirm if you wait until after beating the story mark the book quest and pick up all 6 books then go back to him returning the 6 books then go get the 7th hidden book turn it in pops trophy I believe picking books up before the quest bugs it out and I also believe picking up the hidden book will bug quest out just do as I said you be fine I done a lot of testing 4 runs or the game 

Thanks for testing! Think I'll be good to go.

I got the mission to return books but haven't looted a single one yet (still on the main mission)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deluziion90 said:

Thanks for testing! Think I'll be good to go.

I got the mission to return books but haven't looted a single one yet (still on the main mission)

No problem dude i always try to help the community if I can I think I got it down so gonna do the ps4 version using this exact method 😎

Edited by skin_it_up

On 10/10/2023 at 1:08 PM, skin_it_up said:

No problem dude i always try to help the community if I can I think I got it down so gonna do the ps4 version using this exact method 😎

Finished story

Grabbed 6 books with quest activated

turned 6 books in

found the hidden book

turned it in

trophy popped

Method worked :D

• Like 2

On 10/9/2023 at 9:52 AM, xIRockyRock said:

You just mentioned you collected all 7 books. But if you fully discovered the map you have only 6 books. One isn’t shown on the map nor the map tracker and can be found far east of the map in the desert. Did you collect this as well?

Here a picture of said location:

spacer.png

Thanks for posting, this sorted it for me.

On 10/9/2023 at 4:52 AM, xIRockyRock said:

You just mentioned you collected all 7 books. But if you fully discovered the map you have only 6 books. One isn’t shown on the map nor the map tracker and can be found far east of the map in the desert. Did you collect this as well?

Here a picture of said location:

spacer.png

Thank you! That was the last one I needed.

Could there be a difference between PS4 and PS5 versions? I finished the story on PS4 and only had the Palace book left to collect. I went to turn in all 7 books at the same time. It looks as if the book that is not marked on the map was handed in first as Basim says "I've found this strange book" (I forget the rest of the dialogue after he says this). I then turned in the 6 other books a few seconds later and the trophy popped. Just a thought.

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2023 at 9:49 AM, VladimirKal said:

A bit of a good but strange update for me is that I had some time last night and for my Ubisoft support ticket that I filed to make them aware of it, they wanted screenshots so I done the exact same as the previous night of following Powerpyx's guide to re-check locations. (Both times going right to where it should be, not just looking for the symbol from a distance/on the map.)

This time though a book (Lost Book #3: Al-Kwarizmi: Al-Jabr) was in a building in Abbasiyah, NW of the observatory (just East of the collector) although the symbol for it wasn't on my map and Abbasiyah still showed as 100% complete before collecting it.

I picked it up and Explorer popped and then I was able to turn it in to get the reward and corresponding trophy. The counter for the area didn't change in case that's worth mentioning.

So perhaps a possible solution for some people is to try a couple of times of fully closing the game (maybe even restart the console), follow the guide of going to each location and hope the missing one(s) appear in one of the locations.

This has just saved me! My entire map was 100% but thought I’d check all locations starting with this one.. as soon as I got close the marker appeared and my 100% for the area disappeared. Picked up the book got the explorer trophy handed in the book got that trophy.

i had collected everything before finishing story and handed books after.