Guides Suggestion: Rating before faving

Go to solution Solved by Sly Ripper,

I think before you can favorite a guide, you should have to rate it.

As it stands, the ratings seem a bit pointless, since so many guides don't have ratings, but people are faving them. So, there's no real way of knowing whether or not a guide is useful. You could say that guides with a lot of favorites are good, but those faves could just be from people wanting a quick link back to the guide because it's a game they might want to plat eventually, instead of actually liking the guide. There's no real way of knowing. That train of thought alone makes the rating system pointless to even have too, since it's not what's letting you know if a guide is good or not, the favorites are.

Also, I've only seen a couple guides with less than 4 stars, and they had way more faves than ratings, so it could have just been a couple of ratings dragging it down, or even some of the guide writer's friends bringing it up. If all the faves had rated it, I think it would be a more accurate representation of the guide. Same goes for guides with 4-5 stars.

Anyway, the point is, I think making people rate before they fave a guide would make the ratings more accurate, and by extension, more useful.

People add guides to favourites not because they are good, but because they want to return to them later.

Anyway, the point is, I think making people rate before they fave a guide would make the ratings more accurate, and by extension, more useful.

No, it'll just make people rage because they won't be able to use functionality they want. Edited by vivan

• 2 weeks later...

You need to own the game to be able to rate it, anyone can favourite a guide.

Can you add that little back notification bubble that you do during mouseover of star ratings that users can't rate?

Notifications that say "You cannot rate games that you do not own." for people who are trying to rate games they don't own and a notification that says "You cannot rate your own guide." for people that are trying to rate their own guides?

And I guess additionally "You have to have an account on this website to rate guides." for people who aren't signed in.

This would be really helpful because the ratings system is quite confusing without information telling people how it works.

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

Why not change Favourite to Bookmarks since favourite suggests that it's good. 

I own the game, have the platinum, but it still won't let me rate the guide. Any other reason?

Are you signed in? Since sometimes I'm signed in on the forums but not on the other parts of the site. 

Why not change Favourite to Bookmarks since favourite suggests that it's good. 

Are you signed in? Since sometimes I'm signed in on the forums but not on the other parts of the site. 

Yep. Just went and double checked and I can't rate it. Tried another guide and I can't rate that one either.

Guide:https://psnprofiles.com/guide/147-Burnout-Paradise-Trophy-Guide

Platinumhttps://psnprofiles.com/trophies/483-Burnout-Paradise/skateak

That's exactly what is supposed to happen. What are you expecting to happen? They even turn green to show that you've rated.

Haha. I know that but it doesn't count as being rated. I have tried to rate this trophy guide https://psnprofiles.com/guide/71-Prince-of-Persia-The-Sands-of-Time-Trophy-Guide a couple times since April 2nd. See it still has 0 ratings?

Haha. I know that but it doesn't count as being rated. I have tried to rate this trophy guide https://psnprofiles.com/guide/71-Prince-of-Persia-The-Sands-of-Time-Trophy-Guide a couple times since April 2nd. See it still has 0 ratings?

Not quite, it does have ratings but not enough for it to show a value yet. This stops one person making a guide look 1/5.

Not quite, it does have ratings but not enough for it to show a value yet. This stops one person making a guide look 1/5.

Maybe it's better to show "awaiting 5 ratings" instead of "no ratings"? Or, make it a bit longer to fit "awaiting x more ratings"?

Maybe it's better to show "awaiting 5 ratings" instead of "no ratings"? Or, make it a bit longer to fit "awaiting x more ratings"?

How about "Not enough votes yet to show average rating." ?

Additionally, these: https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/15163-guides-suggestion-rating-before-faving/#entry318292

• Like 1

I think 4 people need to rate a guide for the ratings to show up.

That makes sense. Not a huge deal. Just wanted to make sure the author got credit for writing the guide. I am sure they aren't easy and are quite time consuming.