Big Boss Rank

15 minutes ago, Marloges said:

Just to clarify ... Getting 'seen' does not count as an alert, right? The guard has to actually call in and finish his sentence for it to count as an alert?

Yeah that's right, the alarm and alert music has to start. In my playthrough, I had a few cautions where an enemy saw another one get tranquilized, and they called in "Caution" (where they say something like "All of you, stay alert!")

If you're in doubt, the mission failed screen will say how alerts you have as ALRTNUM

• Like 1

Managed to get Big Boss ranking for both versions. First time, it took me around 20-25 hours, second time around 8.

I would also recommend making your first save after Stillman because you don't want to start all over again if you mess up during the bomb disposals. I saved this way both times, although the second time it wasn't needed since i didn't mess up anywhere until Fatman.

I used the melee trick on Vamp and the skips on Tengus as others said here too. On the second Tengu fight if you manage to make the 10-3-3 combo choke/drop/ grab it will take around a minute and a half. I managed to do it on my first playthrough. On the second I didn't and simply camped in the room with Snake but it takes longer for the fight to end.

• Like 2

I placed my saves after getting up the elevator with Raiden, at the Fatman fight (though Fortune can be tricky, but Fatman might be the hardest boss), before the Harrier, before Vamp, at the sniping section, at the Tengus, Ray and then before the torture. The bosses are the hardest part so you really want your saves to be there so you can restart as much as you want.

I just did extreme all dogtags on ps3, my god that was stressful, couldnt imagine doing the big boss run especially torturing yourself limited saves and the 1 to 2 hit kill bossed and how bs this game can be at time.

And rewatchung all cutscenes, not sure how bad vr will be but im hoping regardless how hard its much shorter lol

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Sarsky said:

I just did extreme all dogtags on ps3, my god that was stressful, couldnt imagine doing the big boss run especially torturing yourself limited saves and the 1 to 2 hit kill bossed and how bs this game can be at time.

And rewatchung all cutscenes, not sure how bad vr will be but im hoping regardless how hard its much shorter lol

Having done the PS3 platinum I personally feel like the PS5 platinum is more difficult, but probably shorter, mostly due to the save limit for Big Boss rank.  I personally wish they'd have done it like MGS1 and given us the option to do the highest rank on hard mode or extreme instead.

I doubt I'll ever go for it, but at least there are really good guides for those who do.  I'm content with the PS3 platinum, atm.  I'm only doing the MG/MG2 plat and the MGS1 plat from this collection for now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snake2410 said:

Having done the PS3 platinum I personally feel like the PS5 platinum is more difficult, but probably shorter, mostly due to the save limit for Big Boss rank.  I personally wish they'd have done it like MGS1 and given us the option to do the highest rank on hard mode or extreme instead.

I doubt I'll ever go for it, but at least there are really good guides for those who do.  I'm content with the PS3 platinum, atm.  I'm only doing the MG/MG2 plat and the MGS1 plat from this collection for now.

agreed, the vr missions are somwhat frustrating from what im experieincing, ive started mgs 1 snakes missions, since im starting of with harder missions first so i can relax as i progress instead of wearing myself out and getting stressed on further i get, its going be tedious but the big boss rank while shorter just would feel like a fucking slog, like vr its anywhere 1 to 10 mins for a mission, big boss is like 3 hours not including all the fuck ups, cutscene rewatching/skipping, using turbo on strangle shit etc... sounds awful lol.

On 11/12/2023 at 6:24 PM, Sarsky said:

agreed, the vr missions are somwhat frustrating from what im experieincing, ive started mgs 1 snakes missions, since im starting of with harder missions first so i can relax as i progress instead of wearing myself out and getting stressed on further i get, its going be tedious but the big boss rank while shorter just would feel like a fucking slog, like vr its anywhere 1 to 10 mins for a mission, big boss is like 3 hours not including all the fuck ups, cutscene rewatching/skipping, using turbo on strangle shit etc... sounds awful lol.

What sucks is MGS2 is probably my favorite of the series, so I'd LOVE to get the plat on this version too, but my confidence with Big Boss rank bounces between really confident I could do it to no confidence.  If I can pull off the skips maybe I could do it.  Extreme wasn't THAT bad other than the Harrier and Ray fights, so I may give it the old college try sometime soon.  Going to watch as many videos on it as I can find to see the beat routes and such.

1 hour ago, GaMeVoLt said:

Honestly Big Boss is not that bad. Having got the platinum on PS5 it kinda made me go back and try to get the PS3 Plat that I abandoned back in 2015. Some of those VR Missions (Mostly Snake MGS1) have given me more rage and anger than going for Big Boss Rank. 

I hope it's the same for me.  I'd really like to go for it myself.  The MGS1 Snake VR's sucked, BUT I had a worse time with the M4 hold ups lol.

12 minutes ago, Snake2410 said:

I hope it's the same for me.  I'd really like to go for it myself.  The MGS1 Snake VR's sucked, BUT I had a worse time with the M4 hold ups lol.

I just got the VR trophy now 😃. I used tape on the Square button to hold it down just enough to hold the gun up and used R2 to toggle the M4 on and off. Worked a treat because the pressure buttons suck. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GaMeVoLt said:

I just got the VR trophy now 😃. I used tape on the Square button to hold it down just enough to hold the gun up and used R2 to toggle the M4 on and off. Worked a treat because the pressure buttons suck. 

You still think Big Boss is easier?  I'm watching a video of someone doing it.  I think I could pull it off, but the saves just make me nervous.  My Extreme run for dogtags on the PS3 version was not nearly as smooth as this dude does it lol.

I just finished my Big Boss run today, and it was something else lol. My first time ever getting that rank and I had some major fuckups in certain sections.

I placed my saves in this order:

• Fortune

• After contacting Ames

• Harrier

• Protecting Emma on the Oil Fence

• Tengu Fight 1

• Tengu Fight 2

• Metal Gear Ray Fight

• Solidus

I had to restart a few times since I got spotted while disarming my last bomb in Strut E. 🫠

The most trouble I had was with the Harrier fight actually. The hitbox can be real jank at times and I'd also get killed during the missile barrage as well. Fatman was a bit troublesome, but nothing too bad. Rest of the game was smooth sailing minus some hiccups here and there. I ended up doing both Tengu skips, except the second one got messed up sadly.

Overall I'd say this was more difficult than the PS3 platinum imo. The VR missions were a pain in some regard, yet the Big Boss rank was actually tough for me. It's doable, but just know that you'll probably end up reloading your saves a lot haha. Definitely proud of myself for getting it done though.

Edited by Senbon Kaguya
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SadboiShinji_ said:

Can anyone confirm if pausing counts towards your overall time?
I've seen some reports online that it does, however I guess with the Master Collection you could return to the PS Home menu which should technically pause the application..

PS home menu doesn't pause cutscenes so I doubt that pauses the game.  I was under the impression that pausing does stop the timer, but I don't know.

55 minutes ago, SadboiShinji_ said:

JaguarKing confirmed it. That's a relief!

spacer.png

Good, because if I do get around to doing it I'm sure I'll be pausing a lot, between stress and checking videos for the best and fastest strategy for each room.  I'm not always the best at memorizing things, even though I was pretty good at MGS2 back in the day, so I'm going to need references quite a bit.  

I have a save "before" the Emma sniper session, and it shows 1 alert. Is this the one carried from Tanker, or I was spotted but didn’t realize? Checked my recorded video, and it showed no alert during the session.

Confirmed that the Tanker alert shows at the beginning of Shut L Oil Field that I have the save.

Edited by ksddz

1 hour ago, ksddz said:

I have a save "before" the Emma sniper session and it shows 1 alert. Is this the one carried from Tanker, or I was spotted but didn’t realize? Checked the recorded video and it show no alert during the session.

One place says the Tanker alert shows at the beginning of Shut L (bottom) that I have the save.

should be the tanker one. the alert thing seems buggy and only seems too show that one when reaching the sniping part for whatever reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THX-1138-4EB said:

I noticed after the Fortune fight on extreme, I received full health back. I didn't think that would happen on extreme. Do all bosses supply you with full health after beating them?

Yep, all bosses restore your health - annoyingly though, you'll be going in after a tough encounter (the Tengu fights before the Ray's DON'T restore your health, not does the holding your breath encounter before Solidus) so you'll usually be going in with low health and needing to get yours strats down

I did it! Thanks to some videos on YouTube and referred to some speedrun for boss fights. Apparently, the 8-save limit is the most difficult part, followed by Fatman and MG Rays. Used Rose Loop for the Ray fight and spent 4 hours to pass.

My Big Boss run:

Edited by ksddz
  • Like 1