Big Boss Rank

Hi all,

Currently struggling with the Big Boss rank trophy, and am wondering about "Caution" states. Seeing conflicting reports about whether getting one will nullify your run. Anyone know for sure?

Getting to Fortune to use my first save is much harder than I thought, and have managed to do it today but one guard saw another get tranqed and managed to call in a caution (definitely not an Alert)

Edited by factualfiction
Said "with" instead of "will"
  • Like 2

On 10/29/2023 at 3:15 PM, William Faure said:

By the end of the game, you should have 3 mandatory alerts, one happening during the Oil Fence sniping section, and two from the Arsenal Tengu ambushes.

See I always assumed the three at the end of the game would be the tanker hallway fight and the two separate tengu fights, but just getting to the sniping section on the oil fence, my ALRTNUM has suddenly jumped from 0 to 1. 

Not far from the end so will push through and see what happens....

I got the big boss rank earlier today.  I have chest pain now lol. I'm no pro.

random notes:

my 3 alerts were EE sniper, Tengu 1 and 2

my overall shots were 696😅

For the Tengu fights you can cheese them and is very helpful so dont waste shots

I was stuck on the Rays for hours. what helped control the flow was always making sure at least one Ray not on the platform had damage because then I knew that would be the next one jumping on platform.  Was the hardest part of the run for me but may be easier for others.

Do the vamp cheese so you don't waste shots

I'm sure everyone knows this stuff but hope it helps to anyone new. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SKIDRACKET said:

I got the big boss rank earlier today.  I have chest pain now lol. I'm no pro.

random notes:

my 3 alerts were EE sniper, Tengu 1 and 2

my overall shots were 696😅

For the Tengu fights you can cheese them and is very helpful so dont waste shots

I was stuck on the Rays for hours. what helped control the flow was always making sure at least one Ray not on the platform had damage because then I knew that would be the next one jumping on platform.  Was the hardest part of the run for me but may be easier for others.

Do the vamp cheese so you don't waste shots

I'm sure everyone knows this stuff but hope it helps to anyone new. 

GG... My game crashed before Fatman first save maybe i retry later

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SKIDRACKET said:

damn dude im sorry. i haven't had any crashes but ive had multiple freezes that resolve after a couple seconds. never had it on the ps3 collection. 

Waiting around 3 min but freeze and not resolve... With Tengu second run too i dodge to much and Raiden freeze in air with leg like a V and last save was before EE sniping

43 minutes ago, hugesawfan said:

Does pausing the game freeze the game timer?

Yes it does

16 minutes ago, Rebourne07 said:

@LadyZero__ What’s the Tengu skip? Got a link to how it works? 🙏🏻

Tengu fight 1

Tengu fight 2

https://youtu.be/sfZdrizqZE8?si=WLTDlcE1n4LEM6tD

Both work, have just done them on my file. Room 1 is a little complicated but is very doable - it's a speedrun technique. You have to flatten against the door, go into first person, unflatten from the door, do the three hit combo and release first person view just before the kick. Bit more info here https://metalgearspeedrunners.com/wiki/doku.php?id=mgs2_boss_tengu_1

Room 2, you just do what is shown in the video and it seems to work. Took me a few tries as the guy kept passing out but it worked

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, factualfiction said:

Yes it does

Tengu fight 1

Tengu fight 2

Both work, have just done them on my file. Room 1 is a little complicated but is very doable - it's a speedrun technique. You have to flatten against the door, go into first person, unflatten from the door, do the three hit combo and release first person view just before the kick. Bit more info here https://metalgearspeedrunners.com/wiki/doku.php?id=mgs2_boss_tengu_1

Room 2, you just do what is shown in the video and it seems to work. Took me a few tries as the guy kept passing out but it worked

Also, because we are not speedrunning, you can safely reach the door by defeating the first wave with M9 and then use every Stun Grenade you have to the door, if any gets in your way just let them follow you down the corridor a bit, use a Stun and go for the door again and do the trick, there should be no guard nearby that will screw you up. Tengu 2 has a lot of skips, Coolant is the easier but you need to be a little precise with the timing, put on a vocal timer with Alexa or something similar. 1:05 minute or 1:10.

1 hour ago, factualfiction said:

Yes it does

Tengu fight 1

Tengu fight 2

This is amazing thank you so much!

• Like 2

For anyone who wants inspiration on possible saves to make, mine were:

1. Fortune boss fight, 112 shots, 00:43:28

2. Sensors before harrier fight, 192 shots, 1:05:49

3. Vamp boss fight, 257 shots, 1:23:29

4. Emma sniping sequence, 278 shots, 1:33:55

5. Tengu fight, 353 shots, 1:48:54

6. Ray boss fight, 364 shots, 1:53:59

7. Solidus torture, 572 shots, 2:04:36

8. Solidus boss fight, 572 shots, 2:06:25

Final time 2:23:26

The three hour time limit isn't an issue, as long as you're not going out of your way to taunt the timer like leaving the game running while you have a shower or something. You need to beat the game with less than 700 shots, don't underestimate how many shots the Ray fight will take up. I fired over 200 shots during that one fight. I remember the extreme Solidus torture minigame giving me a lot of trouble on the PS3, so I planned my saves to give me one before and after the torture sequence. Ended up being completely unnecessary, I aced the minigame on my first attempt without even losing any health. Found the most difficult bosses to be Fatman and the Harrier.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the skips for Tengu 1 and Tengu 2 still work. There is also a cheese to melee Vamp which makes the fight much easier than using the tranq.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2023 at 3:03 PM, hugesawfan said:

For anyone who wants inspiration on possible saves to make, mine were:

1. Fortune boss fight, 112 shots, 00:43:28

2. Sensors before harrier fight, 192 shots, 1:05:49

3. Vamp boss fight, 257 shots, 1:23:29

4. Emma sniping sequence, 278 shots, 1:33:55

5. Tengu fight, 353 shots, 1:48:54

6. Ray boss fight, 364 shots, 1:53:59

7. Solidus torture, 572 shots, 2:04:36

8. Solidus boss fight, 572 shots, 2:06:25

Final time 2:23:26

The three hour time limit isn't an issue, as long as you're not going out of your way to taunt the timer like leaving the game running while you have a shower or something. You need to beat the game with less than 700 shots, don't underestimate how many shots the Ray fight will take up. I fired over 200 shots during that one fight. I remember the extreme Solidus torture minigame giving me a lot of trouble on the PS3, so I planned my saves to give me one before and after the torture sequence. Ended up being completely unnecessary, I aced the minigame on my first attempt without even losing any health. Found the most difficult bosses to be Fatman and the Harrier.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the skips for Tengu 1 and Tengu 2 still work. There is also a cheese to melee Vamp which makes the fight much easier than using the tranq.

I wouldn't save before Fortune or before Vamp, with enough practice they're beatable without too much hassle and 1st try, Fatman though is a hard boss and I would save just after Fortune, if you want to avoid shooting the sensors you could shoot them exit and re-enter from the door and save after, just take your time with the Cypher ones, time is not a problem, I finished with 2:08:59 and I took my time in a couple of hard rooms. Just remember to grab every Stun Grenade you come across, my advice is:
1. After Fortune.
2. Before Harrier after shooting the sensors.
3. After Harrier or before Vamp, your choice.

4. Emma snipe, kill her if discovered and start again.

5. Before Tengu 1, try to learn the glitches -> the 1st room is easier by putting the first wave to sleep with M9 and make a run for the door with Stuns after that

6. Before Rays

7. Before Solidus -> Torture is 15 seconds, I don't think it needs a save

8. Make your choice, I saved before Fortune but noticed that it wasn't needed at all, just pick up the box and do the left-right trick on the wall, it might be better to save before Strut F bomb disposal room.

Edited by ryuzakix5
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ryuzakix5 said:

I wouldn't save before Fortune or before Vamp, with enough practice they're beatable without too much hassle and 1st try, Fatman though is a hard boss and I would save just after Fortune, if you want to avoid shooting the sensors you could shoot them exit and re-enter from the door and save after, just take your time with the Cypher ones, time is not a problem, I finished with 2:08:59 and I took my time in a couple of hard rooms. Just remember to grab every Stun Grenade you come across, my advice is:
1. After Fortune.
2. Before Harrier after shooting the sensors.
3. After Harrier or before Vamp, your choice.

4. Emma snipe, kill her if discovered and start again.

5. Before Tengu 1, try to learn the glitches -> the 1st room is easier by putting the first wave to sleep with M9 and make a run for the door with Stuns after that

6. Before Rays

7. Before Solidus -> Torture is 15 seconds, I don't think it needs a save

8. Make your choice, I saved before Fortune but noticed that it wasn't needed at all, just pick up the box and do the left-right trick on the wall, it might be better to save before Strut F bomb disposal room.

This is a pretty good list although I would swap the first save to an early section of plant. That way you don't have to play Tanker again if you mess up and also because everything after the first save will feel a bit less stressful.

And just to clear some confusion with people regarding alerts; Emma being spotted during the sniping section does not count as an alert.

1st alert: Tanker fight with Snake

2nd alert: Tengu 1

3rd alert: Tengu 2

Now the reason it's weird is because after the sniping section your alerts will increase to 1 even if you're not spotted there. I'm not sure why but it seems like the Tanker alert is (sometimes?) not added to the counter until this part. But anyways - in my run Emma was spotted 2 times and I still got Big Boss rank.