A Recommendation for getting MWIII for FREE

So I got a digital Ps5 cause I was all like "I buy all my games digitally anyways". 

But a week later I realized that you can play ps5 versions if you had a ps4 disc. And how ive been renting games FOR FREE from the library for a couple years at that point.

Such a stupid move on my part...

Despite this being a post for a super lame overrated title such as Call Of Duty. I wholeheartedly support this PSA.

Check out your local libraries fellas. 

Edited by Profeelgood

1 hour ago, Profeelgood said:

So I got a digital Ps5 cause I was all like "I buy all my games digitally anyways". 

But a week later I realized that you can play ps5 versions if you had a ps4 disc. And how ive been renting games FOR FREE from the library for a couple years at that point.

LONG LIVE PHYSICAL MEDIA!!!

1 hour ago, Profeelgood said:

Despite this being a post for a super lame overrated title such as Call Of Duty. I wholeheartedly support this PSA.

Check out your local libraries fellas. 

The main reason why I created this PSA for this particular game was not only that I had utilized this same method for the MW2019 and MWII plats, but also in the thread about MWIII trophies being DLC there were so many people saying something along the lines of "I wasn't going to buy this game but now I might have to" or so. If you really don't want to, or in some people's cases cannot, spend the money on the game, this can be a great method. And for any game too. Try before you buy, no charge, just a library card

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

For everyone up in arms about the news that the PS5 version of MWIII is listed as MWII DLC, and to those who stated they weren't planning on buying MWIII but now feel like they need to for the 100%, I have a recommendation for you to get MWIII for free, but it comes with some big caveats:

CHECK YOUR LOCAL LIBRARIES. 

Most libraries nowadays have video games in their catalog available for check out, an you can usually keep them for 7 days. IT'S FREE TO USE. This is how I got the platinums for MW2019 and MWII. Didn't spend a penny on either title just by checking the game out from my local library. You can check online if your library is getting the game, as most libraries put "On Order" for things they're getting in to add to their catalog. If there's no listing for it, you can put in what most libraries refer to as a "Purchase Request" basically just asking the library to get the item to add to their catalog. Most libraries nowadays also are in a consortium, where multiple libraries "share" catalogs and you can request an item from another library (aka Inter-library loans) to pick up at your library of choice.

THE CAVEATS: New release items typically don't become available at libraries until a couple weeks or so after they are released, and for high-profile hot items like CoD games, a lot of people could potentially request a hold on the same item. This can lead to you not getting to check out the game until a couple months or more after the game's launch. If you play a lot of Multiplayer, you will absolutely be behind all the No-Lifers and even the frequent casuals,  as well as any battle passes or Seasons, and for some people that just won't do. On the other side of that issue, the game will have had several patches and balances, and potentially new content released in later Seasons.

TL;DR if you don't want to spend the $70 (or even the $50-60 sale prices for the holidays) on MWIII and want to play the game for free, and don't mind probably waiting a few months to play it and being behind in leveling and Seasons/battle passes, check your local libraries for the game, or any other game you want to try before you buy! LONG LIVE PHYSICAL MEDIA!!!

Do you live in Montreal? Ive been doing it at my local libraries for 10-15 years already and you're the first person who I actually saw on the internet talking about it! 

1 hour ago, SteveCheraLouis said:

Do you live in Montreal? Ive been doing it at my local libraries for 10-15 years already and you're the first person who I actually saw on the internet talking about it! 

30 minutes ago, OmegaRejectz said:

... what kind of libraries do you got where you live?!?

I live in the Midwest States. Some libraries here have massive game catalogs, one of them I love going to has including 200 PS3 titles, 120-140 PS4 titles, and about 50-60 PS5 titles, plus probably just as many in the Xbox 360/One/Series family, and over 100 3DS/Switch games. Another library near me though has 6 PS5 games, 30ish PS4 games, and about 50-60 PS3 games, with slightly more in the Xbox family. One other near my work has no PS5 games, maybe 30-40 PS4 games, and a handful of PS3 games, and barely 20 across all Xbox consoles. It can definitely be hit or miss, but again most libraries can do "Inter-Library Loans" where one library requests an item they don't have from a different library at the request of a library card holder. Takes a little bit of time to get the game delivered to the requesting library, but still FREEEEEEEEEEE

1 hour ago, Maxine said:

Instantly made me think of this banger of a song!

Core memory unlocked, and while yes it is a banger, nothing can compete with this masterpiece

Edited by BIOHAZARD-R-US
  • Like 1

I live in Ontario and we have a nice library too! I actually just got Spider-Man 2 and it only came out like 10 days ago. I easily save hundreds of dollars per year with this, and since it seems like there's not a huge demand I basically get to just keep renewing most games. We get copies of probably 90% of new games that get a physical version - I was very sad when Alan Wake 2 was digital only for exactly this reason.

16 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Couldn’t you post this for every physical release?  Or ones that are popular.  This isn’t something unique to COD.

Certainly applies to all physical release games (the aforementioned Alan Wake II digital-only release is a travesty), but the main reason why I made this particular thread about this particular game was because I'd already done this with both MW reboots, and so many people were conflicted about buying the game because of the trophy list. I figured this would be a good opportunity to shed light on a potentially great alternative

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

You aren't getting the game for free, as it's not yours. You can certainly play it for free this way though. Pretty cool if you have a local library that has games!

If you can play the game, check it out as many times as you like with the only exception being if someone else puts a hold request on it, and get the platinum, all without paying a single penny, then yes you are getting the game for free. Regardless of whether it’s yours to keep or not, you can check it out as many times as you want. It took me three checkouts for MWII because it had hold requests after each of my 7 days, but I still got the plat and didn’t pay anything.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/2/2023 at 3:31 PM, SteveCheraLouis said:

I live close to Montreal what library that got games?