Sient Hill Ascension

Don_Chipotle

I only heard about this after looking up news about the Silent Hill 2 remake. I couldn't believe there was seemingly no marketing for this. I've got a ton of videos on Ascension in my Youtube Watch Later playlist and honestly I'm scared to watch any. The titles and thumbnails give me all the info I want to know, and maybe ignorance is bliss.

2 hours ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

I like how it seems like a low budget telltale or supermassive game and then I remember Konami passed in supermassive pitch for a silent hill game 

being a silent hill fan is painful 

There is this part where this character called Karl is running from a monster and it looks messy, not in the good way, his running animation looks bad, and the way he doesnt show any face emotion while running from a big monster, its just a mess 

That "IT'S TRAUMA!" emote really tells you all you need to know about it. But seeing the UI and how they are having the story revolve around the "players choice" which really just means the story will change based on who whales the most just shows that Konami sees Silent Hill as something to milk and the fans as dollar signs. And again, them trying to meme the trauma thing just shows how (not) seriously they are treating that subject matter.

Also that CG looks like it came from the Downcoming games like damn I've seen Source Film Maker shorts that look more convincing.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

I like how it seems like a low budget telltale or supermassive game and then I remember Konami passed in supermassive pitch for a silent hill game 

being a silent hill fan is painful 

I would have LOVED a Telltale styled game in the Silent Hill universe. So much lore potential.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, SmileSlice said:

I would have LOVED a Telltale styled game in the Silent Hill universe. So much lore potential.

Even why not release the first SH original game with trophy support, it doesnt matter if its emulation, if you sell it with enough hype people would buy it and i bet its somewhat less expensive from a company point of view, and you respect the work previously done for the franchise, not saying its easy for everyone as it requiere to dust old codes and it requieres time to create, but i think its a win/win for everyone.

I wonder if time goes by they will sell this game digital for consoles with all the outtakes and roads available.

16 minutes ago, Don_Chipotle said:

Even why not release the first SH original game with trophy support, it doesnt matter if its emulation

I would love to play the original in its PS1 state with trophy support. The extra-hard dithering and choppy rendering were so perfectly jank it was amazing. No other PS1 title I've played feels and deals the way SH1 does with the hardware limitations. The VHS-style filter on games like Christmas Massacre and Nun Massacre are great, but absolutely do not compare to the dithering of SH1

• Like 1

Konami really looked at the Interactive Movie genre, the least monetizable game genre, and challenged themselves to monetize it. The UI seems designed strictly and solely for streamers. It just feels to busy and cluttered and really takes you out of the "game".  I don't know what Konami was thinking releasing this as the start of their revival project. Skipped straight to the greed and milking phase of a franchise. The only positive I see so far is the un-filtered chat and all the wild things people can say.

That being said though, if there was a single player option that played like a interactive movie I would play it.

On 11/8/2023 at 11:19 AM, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

I would love to play the original in its PS1 state with trophy support. The extra-hard dithering and choppy rendering were so perfectly jank it was amazing. No other PS1 title I've played feels and deals the way SH1 does with the hardware limitations. The VHS-style filter on games like Christmas Massacre and Nun Massacre are great, but absolutely do not compare to the dithering of SH1

Its quite a challenge to match the same line of a game with a "B horror american film from a japanese point of view" vibe, it looks like something simple but its not, from how the lines of the script was done, to the sound effects, to the little details, its amazing the job team silent did at that time