Top 5 games you played in 2023 (that have trophies)

LukeTheGooner

• 3 weeks later...

Octopath Traveler II :platinum:

Best game of the year for me. Amazing! 10/10

Trackmania

Great racing game. Hundreds of hours of fun and content.

OlliOlli World

Best indie game I’ve played in quite some time.

God of War Ragnarok

Best AAA game I played this year. 
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III

Yearly returning cashgrab or not. I still have a lot of fun playing MP with my friends.

I picked some different genres for some variety. 

Edited by Baker

I'll steal from my own "Awards Ceremony" here, as it slips right into this thread like a glove!

1-BEST-GAME.jpg

Freelancer-Key-Art-01-1024x576.jpg

1st Place: Hitman Freelancer

Hitman Freelancer is the single best game mode add-on ever added to any game...

...and because it benefits from the absurd, relatively unprecedented situation where it takes full advantage of 3 separate full game's worth of content, by using the maps from all entries of the Hitman: World of Assassination Trilogy...
...the result is that it is, while technically a DLC, bigger, grander, more content-rich, and more complete and varied than the majority of full game releases could ever hope to be!

It's also an absolutely astoundingly good game in its own right. 

Even after playing the original games that make up the Hitman Trilogy for upwards of 400 hours, I still sank another 200 into Freelancer this year, trophies-be-damned...
...and it has done the almost impossible feat of making playing the base game variant of Hitman - the "normal" maps, where saving is possible, and there isn't a rogue-like element - feel almost quaint by comparison.

To be clear, that is me saying that this DLC mode is so good, and improves on the mechanics of what I already consider to be the best games of the generation so much, that it actually feels odd going back to that original game now!

It's a game mode that breathes new life into a game that didn't need it but benefits immeasurably from it, and is able to combine elements of home-building, stealth, action, rogue-like, comedy and puzzle game...
...and does it in a way that simple never gets old, or wears out its welcome.

The game pulled me - someone who loves earning trophies - away from other games that have them completely, and has such a wealth of special, in-game challenges and rewards that I never felt the lack of them at all.

The unique situation afforded by the sheer wealth of content it draws from means a rogue-like of a size and scope that will likely NEVER be replicated by any single game...
...and does it using game mechanics that were already sublime, ridiculous, responsive, smart, fun and awesome.

It IS my 2023 Game of the Year...
...it just happens to not be technically it's own "game"!

La12bae.png

2nd Place: The Last of Us: Part II

It's a game takes the "Narrative Character Action" genre that tends to permeate the AAA space - sometimes to the point of exhaustion - but elevates it to its peak, with memorable characters, a bleak, complicated and beautifully realised world, a surprising, un-pandering story...
...and does it with gameplay that never stops being exciting, fun and engaging.

The world is dour and oppressive and the story bleak and haunting, but it's to Naughty Dog's credit that the gameplay is able to maintain on top of that, and keep the player wanting to keep on going, even as the characters descend into horror, madness and abject despair.

A hell of a game from start to finish, and the best game I earned a trophy in this year!

Lf8bcdd.png

3rd Place: Tetris Effect

It takes a heck of a game to keep me playing, relatively steadily, for years, particularly when - as was the case here - I had no real expectation of ever getting that coveted platinum trophy...
...but it takes an even better game to keep me playing just the same amount afterwards!

Despite having finished every trophy in both versions of the game, I currently have over 160 hours clocked "post-platinum" - and that is a testament to just how good Tetris Effect is, and what a smorgasbord of gameplay it has to offer.

It's the quintessential version of the quintessential game - the best version of a perennial classic - and goes so far above and beyond most other Tetris releases (of which there are, quite literally hundreds,) that it leaves them lying in the dirt.

It presents that classic, brilliant, simple gameplay in so many variants, and in such a phantasmagoric symphony of light, sound, particle effects and overall polish, that it really feels impossible than any future Tetris release will top it.

From the VR modes, to the excellent Multiplayer, to the Journey Mode with it's Lumines-style campaign, to its brilliantly curated - and enormous - collection of Tetris variants from over the years, Tetris Effect is a game that feels like a culmination of the classic game.

It is the Ur-Tetris - the Tetris for all, for all time...
...and it is as addictive, simple, challenging, varied, gorgeously presented, and lovingly curated as it needs to be to earn that accolade.

Lb2471b.png

4th Place: This War of Mine: The Final Cut

This War of Mine: Final Cut is a strategy survival game - not a genre I'm tremendously well versed it - and it's one that has relatively limited tools to tell a narrative story in any traditional sense...
...but holy cow, does it manage to tell unique, tragic, hear-wrenching stories through non-traditional ways!

A game where the gameplay is that narrative, and every run of its bleak, harrowing experience of random every-day people trying to outlast a war they have no involvement with nor part to play in presents new, awful scenarios that the player must witness and navigate at every turn.

In some ways, it is the "Anti-Sims" - a game where the player has the same rough perspective and control as they do in a game like The Sims, but rather than feeling like a God, they feel the hopeless despair of a parent, trying their hardest to protect these people, making tough choices, seeing the consequences of these choices... and often failing.

It's a game that takes a lot of smart, small touches to humanise the characters, to the extent that the player bond to them grows and grows as time goes on - and in a very real sense, this game, which has no set narrative, and little dialogue or specific plot points - ends up feeling far more narrative heavy and emotionally resonant than games with heavy narrative elements manage!

Tough, brutal, unforgiving, emotional, savage, touching, and genuinely player-driven stories that change each time the game is played...
... come together in both one of the best emotional experiences a strategy game can offer, and an experience only the interactivity of a game could offer!

La37889.png

5th Place: NORCO

NORCO is a game that, on the surface, seems like it should simply shrink into the crowd, as one of many pixel-art, low budget indie Neo-Adventure Games out there...
...but to assume so and pass it by would be folly.
That would deny the player from realising the truth:
That NORCO is not simple a weird game, and an awesome game, and a game that brilliantly combines the odd, the peculiar, the weird and the insane with genuine human trauma, frailty, suffering and loss, and combines them all in a patchwork quilt of some of the most outlandish story ideas possible, all the while containing them in a completely emotionally grounded and gritty plastic reality...
...but it's quite simply one of the best written games out there. 

Its narrative and tone feel like the child of Cronenberg, Lynch, Philip K Dick and Carlton Mellick - a mishmash conglomeration of bizarre concepts that should never work together...
...yet completely do, simply because the world the devs have created feels both absurd, yet oddly plausible, and the characters navigating it feel tragically real in their turmoil, confusion and insanity.

Add to that some excellent pixel art visuals, a really stellar soundtrack of Bladerunner-esque electro-jazz, memorable and unique characters, well crafted gameplay and a pace and clip that feels tantamount to a high quality TV show, and it all adds up to a game that isn't just one of the best Neo-Adventure Games out there...
...it's one of the best games out there, period!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...