Top 5 games you played in 2023 (that have trophies)

LukeTheGooner

1. Diablo 2 Resurrected (my favourite game of all time)

2. Tribes of Midgard (really liked this for some reason)

3. Remnant: from the ashes (getting 2 for christmas hopefully)

4. Immortals Fenyx rising (really liked the base game, but DLC was utter trash)

5. Spec ops: the line (just hard enough to make it memorable, but not hairpulling)

• Like 1

spacer.png

1. Marvel's Spider-Man - The platinum was awesome to get and I loved exploring the world by web swinging. Such a beautiful game.

spacer.png

2. Hitman: Blood Money - It's one of my favourite games of all-time and I had such a blast getting the platinum for it. I did the whole thing on Professional getting the Silent Assassin ratings too which made me really improve at the game. I actually got good at the stealth mechanics which I was proud of myself for. I never was any good at the game growing up.

spacer.png

3. Tormented Souls - I'm a huge fan of OG Survival Horror, I love that this brought back so many features from the older games. They really did a fantastic job capturing the atmosphere and gameplay from games such as Silent Hill and Resident Evil and the puzzles were challenging.

spacer.png

4. Firewatch - Some of the most immersed I've ever felt in a video game. I found the story to be amazing and the voice acting was so good for an indie title. It was such a beautiful experience I won't ever forget.

spacer.png

5. Life is Strange: True Colors - Ended up becoming my favourite LIS game in the series. I loved Alex Chen, thought she was a great character to play. The visuals and art style of the game was gorgeous and I really enjoyed the story in this one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChilledBrandon said:

3. Tormented Souls - I'm a huge fan of OG Survival Horror, I love that this brought back so many features from the older games. They really did a fantastic job capturing the atmosphere and gameplay from games such as Silent Hill and Resident Evil and the puzzles were challenging.

thanks for posting this, going to have to give this game a look

• Like 1

I haven't played much in 2023... Also still waiting for my asian copy of Like A Dragon Gaiden to arrive.

1. Resident Evil 4 Remake - Basically most of my childhood was spent in this game on PS2. The remake made it justice but I don't think it replaces the original fully.

2. Binary Domain - Had done online trophies a few years ago, but only did my 1st playthrough this year. Great storytelling from the Yakuza series' studio.

3. The Evil Within - I saw it as a true successor to RE4, even though I love RE5. It's as if the series did a good job mixing the action/horror elements, which I think was perfect only in RE Village & RE4 Remake almost a decade later.

4. Alan Wake - Classic X360 game that I never had the chance to play since I never owned any form of Xbox.

5. Like A Dragon: Ishin! - Previously exclusive to Japan. The game is plenty of fun with a compelling story. I really wanted to learn more about the tale of Sakamoto Ryoma! You really can't go wrong with any of the RGG studios game. Can't wait to play Gaiden & Infinite Wealth.

• Like 1

In no particular order:

• The Talos Principle II
  • Norco
  • Anodyne 2: Return to Dust
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Heaven's Vault

I'm planning on finally getting around to Outer Wilds in the next week or two, which might shake things up based on its reputation, but aside from that I feel pretty good about this list and don't see it changing.

• Like 2

How convenient that I already decided on my top ten during a forum event recently!

5. Little Nightmares II

4. Ender Lillies: Quietus of the Knights

3. The Outer Worlds

2. Rogue Legacy 2

1. Superhot

However, five simply isn't going to fit the bill, considering the breadth of quality games I finished this year (58 to be exact, most of them being decent at the very least) so here's an entirely too long list of honorable mentions:

Habroxia 2

Stray

Afterparty

Arise: A Simple Story

I Am Dead

Rising Hell

The Gardens Between

Omno

Minit

Psychonauts 2

Endling: Extinction is Forever

Chicken Police

It's really more of a top 17 list, if I'm being honest.

• Like 4

1. Manhunt - Some of the best trial and error I've played on any game. The fact that the music actually helps you in the game is in own right, incredible. 

2. Siren - Perfect atmosphere. I've never felt so stressed out playing any game. Everything here is awesome from the story, to things like the sound design and music. 

3. Girls und Panzer - Just got into the anime prior to playing the game, was actually very impressed with the quality here. It's both fun and faithful to the original series.

4. Little Witch Nobeta - This one combined the whole souls kind of thing with third person shooting, so my interest was piqued immediately. It's short, but I enjoyed my time with it very much.

5. Onimusha: Warlords - I believe as a kid I couldn't get into the original being d pad only, I was very glad I picked up this after all these years. Really great game with a lot of soul to it. I'd like to see the sequels hit the PSN store eventually. 

Edited by Spageos
  • Like 2

Since I played a lot of games in 2023 that came out this year I'm gonna make 2 lists: games in 2023 and backlog!(Even if games like The Legend of Dragoon isn't really backlog as I played it for 20 years constantly :D ) I'm gonna put them in order:

2023:

5. Armored Core VI

4. Live a Live (this is a remastered of the orginal so I'll put it here)

3. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

2. Theathrythm: Final Fantasy

1. Sea of Stars

Older
5. Persona 3 Portable

4. Baldur's Gate

3. Metal Gear Solid

2. Final Fantasy VI

1. The Legend of Dragoon

As you can see, there is a pattern in my list, RPGs everywhere :D

Edited by ryuzakix5
  • Like 2

1. Mass Effect Trilogy: Legendary Edition
  2. Lies of P
  3. God of War Ragnarok
  4. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  5. Mafia

In that order. Some very good games played this year, even though I had played Mass Effect trilogy on the PS3, I replayed it years later and it is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Honorable mentions:

• Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
  • Death's Door
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Like 2

This year is reaaly stacked for me. Lot's of grat games all around. 

Out of 2023 releases only

1. Armored Core 6 - You really feel like in some mecha anime and I love my good mecha anime.

2. Lies of P - Second best soulslike ever. (The best is Sekiro). The variety in combat is just exquisite. 

3. Marvel's Spider Man 2 - While not realizing it's true potential it is still great game that is fun to play. 

4. Street Fighter 6 - my favorite fighting game for now. 

5. Star Wars: Jedi Survivor - a really nice 3d-metroidvania. Exploring was really fun. 

Out of everything else

1. Chained Echoes - Best game of 2022 and probably best JRPG I've played. This game just gets it. Fun combat, not a lot of combat encounters, story with a lot of twists and turns. What's not to like?

2. Omori - This is such a great emotional rollercoaster that is better to be experienced as blind as possible. But don't forget to open the door. 

3. Grime - One of the best souslike metroidvanias. While the beginning was really difficult for me it eventually clicked and I really enjoyed the game. 

4. Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4 -  I finally got around to play the series and turns out it's a fun and a unique twist on a turn based tactics.

5. Genshin Impact - 4.0-4.2 Archon quest finale and Furina story quest were just perfect and really emotional. 

There are a lot more but it is already two lists of five.

Edited by Akrioz
  • Like 3

1. Alan Wake Remastered - One of my favorite games of all time.  Completed on 360 when it was originally released and had just as much fun getting the platinum.

2. Ghostwire Tokyo - Super fun open world that isn't too overwhelming.  The setting and lore is what kept me interested, but I also enjoyed hunting down all the collectibles.  Not for everyone, but I love a good collect-a-thon.

3. Dead Space Remake - Such an amazing remake. Currently on my third (and final) run through of the game to get the platinum, but still having a great time.

4. Hogwarts Legacy - As a lifelong Harry Potter fan, this game was everything I hoped it would be.

5. Escape Academy - Played couch co-op with my wife and we both loved working together to solve puzzles under a time-limit.  May not be as fun as a single player experience though. (played and completed on XSX though)

Honorable mentions: Star Wars: Jedi Survivor, Alan Wake II, Yakuza 0, TMNT: Shredder's Revenge

Edited by WingBingDing
  • Like 3

Oh man, this is a tough one, but I think top 5 would be (in no particular order):

1. Death's Door - Still working on the platinum for this one, a very fun little adventure where you go around reaping souls as part of your day job.
  2. Ghost of Tsushima - I don't think I can say anything that others haven't already, the story of this one is pretty damn good.
  3. Killer Frequency - A slightly absurd premise, but the writing was pretty damn good and the main characters are just fun to listen to.
  4. Axiom Verge 2 - Definitely glad I played the sequel before the original Axiom Verge, this one is the superior of the two by far imo.
  5. Return of the Obra Dinn - The twists this game takes with its story are quite good, and the mystery you have to solve just gets weirder as you go. Definitely not an easy one though.

If I could extend it to a top ten, I'd also include:

• Deliver us the Moon
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
  • Stray
  • Creature in the Well
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  • Like 1