Confirmation - Mass hide games borks profile

esstee11

*Post not relevant to casual/regular/non-shovelware trophy hunters, you need not worry or make silly or condescending replies 😝👍 only relevant to the extremist crowd:

Just wanted to make a confirmation forum post, that making a large amount of 'hidden games' is... ill advised.

For whatever reason, it like blows the brain of your system, and it messes things up. (I did this on PS5 today but I expect it would be the same for PS4 and PS3).

I had heard a rumour many years ago that a mass exodus could make your profile screwy. I never knew for sure the hidden games capacity. I Can confirm, don't do it.

Firstly lemme say theres nothing wrong with these games, this was personal choice to use the hide feature. Because: I gave up extreme trophy hunting in June 2022, I dislike seeing those awful jumping games and other shovelware 0.79p 1 minute trash plats on my profile. I hesitated to attempt to amend it for a year due to the hide rumour I heard. But today decided no, I'm gonna do it, first do baby steps and delete the 'jumping' and animal alphabet etc the real nasty shovelware first. Then at a later date if I want to I may delete all the rata.

So first deleted/hid (kept count with tallies) 300 real bad shovelware. 

My plat count before was 1,980.

So it should have said 1,680.

Profile borked! And said my total plat (on this site) was 148! Oh shit lol.

..I've been messing with it since, tried to take all the hides off, still borked, tried having only about 20 hides, some of the games I pressed hide on still even show on the profile the resilient rebels, borked, now it says something random like about 3k trophies hidden, and with my plat total about 100 less than it started with, and I'll just leave it at that at whatever current bizarre place its decided to land on. I didnt achieve anything I initially wanted, other than a bunch of stress and panic. 

So moral of the story is, yea hiding 'a few' little games is fine.

But do not attempt to hide hundreds or thousands, it does not work. It will bork.

Edited by esstee11
  • Like 2

Maybe but the console seemed to just pick and chose what it wanted to hide, just to clarify this is down to the functionality and capacity of the PS5 console itself, no issue with the psnp site that is doing its job correctly 🙂 

Edit: ah, I may have posted this topic in the wrong category as it isnt a site issue it's a console issue, I didnt know where to post it sorry.

Edited by esstee11

13 minutes ago, esstee11 said:

Maybe but the console seemed to just pick and chose what it wanted to hide, just to clarify this is down to the functionality and capacity of the PS5 console itself, no issue with the psnp site that is doing its job correctly 🙂 

I see. In that case I would still recommend waiting. Can't say I know the exact details of how PSN trophies are hidden but it wouldn't surprise me if this was the kind of system where changes like this are delayed.

Just to add other console profile borks and quirks since the incident, now every game in my console library now has a padlock locked sign on lol. But if you click on it it plays. What a nightmare. Such fun. 

I'm just gonna restart my console hope for the best and play my in nightmare game and attempt to forget how I willingly (accidentally) lobotomized my ps5 😅

Hiding and unhiding games has been quite buggy for years now, sometimes requiring you to go onto different consoles (even ones you've never owned) like the PS3 and reversing it being a hidden game on there, and so on. I detail it a bit more at the bottom of this post, but yeah, it's a mess that I doubt Sony is even fully aware of or even interested in fixing

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

create a new account @esstee11 :kiss:

No I've never wanted to start a new profile. Cuz I'm proud of the hard plats I have done, that I dont think I can mentally put myself through again lol like The Evil Within, Outlast 2, Super Meat Boy, etc. 

I just wanted my good plats I worked hard to achieve, not be lost in the sea of past bad plats. But oh well. 

35 minutes ago, DeadDexterous said:

If you sign into the PlayStation website, go to privacy settings, hidden games, it shows all of your games in one big list. You can then just tick/untick whichever games you want. Even includes Vita games.

Yea, that is what I did. But via console. Pretty sure it's exactly the same and the only way to hide games.

20 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

Hiding and unhiding games has been quite buggy for years now, sometimes requiring you to go onto different consoles (even ones you've never owned) like the PS3 and reversing it being a hidden game on there, and so on. I detail it a bit more at the bottom of this post, but yeah, it's a mess that I doubt Sony is even fully aware of or even interested in fixing

Yea you're right, and sadly more buggy than I had realised.

Just thought I'd make this post for extra confirmation though, for other people like me weighing up if it's a good idea or not to try to hide shovelware (it's not, it just doesnt work), there are a lot of retired extreme trophy hunters like me that would like a mass wipe of past bad 'game'/plat choices. But oh well!

And I now know the only real answer is just deal with it, or make a new profile. Looks like I'm just dealing with it then!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, esstee11 said:

No I've never wanted to start a new profile. Cuz I'm proud of the hard plats I have done, that I dont think I can mentally put myself through again lol like The Evil Within, Outlast 2, Super Meat Boy, etc. 

I just wanted my good plats I worked hard to achieve, not be lost in the sea of past bad plats. But oh well. 

Not trying to be cheesy, but your shovelware plats don’t really define your profile, all of the games you’ve played do. If you were playing strictly shovelware, then I’d understand wanting to hide them or start a new profile. Be proud of your profile!

I’m hoping your issue fixes itself though. I say give it time. If not, doesn’t hurt to get in contact with PlayStation support. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, esstee11 said:

I remember when u specifically played games just because the plats were very hard lol

seems like somewhere along the line your goal shifted to real easy plats to race up the leaderboard

maybe u should go back to playing the games u LOVE.... horror games lol 

either way, try to have fun with ur games, and don't let your trophy list stress u out :) 

• Like 3

@HoorayForTyler awesome response, you're right, thanks! I appreciate the morale boost 😆

@DeadDexterous ah i see ok cool, so it does make a difference outside of console that's great to know, thanks! Also thanks for watching some of my silly old vids lol 😁

@MonaSaxPayne yea lol I did love the hard horrors and I still do 😁 

Then yea I lost myself for about 2 maybe 3 years to thinking a leaderboard chase was fun, got to #10 UK then all seriously disgraceful shovelware (jumping games, animal alphabet, 1 button 1 minute filth) bombarded and flooded the market. I really hated them and took issue with them even being allowed to pass Sony standards to release, completely turned me off of any temporal fun I had in a LB chase, and never played another one since then June 2022.

So yea I do just play only the indie/horror/good/wierd/fun/hard/whatever actually appeals to me games now, back on track 😆👍

Anyway digressing a little, simply made the post to let people know to hide a mass of games will result in a funked up mess. To anyone still unaware of the buggy nature of the hide function.  

Edited by esstee11
  • Like 3

That's interesting. Your profile / games list / trophy list views on the PS5 and PS4 are all driven by web API requests that it's making and it does seem like it gets easily confused if something goes wrong. (eg. I can literally just scroll rapidly down my games list and sometimes "something" goes wrong and it starts showing games out of sequence, or with wrong details). 

If I look at the response from the trophy summary API for your account I get an amount which is presumably your actual totals (ie. it's not excluding hidden games?)

accountId            : 
trophyLevel          : 999
trophyPoint          : 2710725
trophyLevelBasePoint : 1631340
trophyLevelNextPoint : 2147483647
progress             : 0
tier                 : 10
earnedTrophies       : @{bronze=14541; silver=11884; gold=17131; platinum=1981}

If those are your actual totals, then it suggests to me that API doesn't account for hidden games and so I suspect the PS5 is having to try and calculate your adjusted totals (ie. excluding the hidden games) on the fly; and because of the way it makes API requests (being limited to requesting details about x number of games in each request), it makes so many requests and gives up. So the totals you see are whatever it got to before deciding to give up.

Out of interest if you have the console offline what do your trophy totals look like then?

8 hours ago, andshrew said:

...it makes so many requests and gives up. So the totals you see are whatever it got to before deciding to give up.

Out of interest if you have the console offline what do your trophy totals look like then?

Yea it definately looks and feels like the ps5 just gave up. It did the Danny Devito nope gif lol.

I never have the console offline.

And yea ps5 console is just showing the before total amounts. I'm just leaving it as is, darnt mess with it again. It's fine I'm ok with it as is. Its just a shame it wouldnt do what I wanted it to. Which is the point of it. Just a shame a function on the ps5 doesnt function as it's supposed to! Well, only to a certain degree until it throws a hissy fit lol. But oh well thats life!