How difficult is Grounded Mode?

willmill97

From what I've heard I'm not sure if the AI is any more difficult but they removed more HUD and even less supplies.

Hmmm, so basically Metro Last Light's Ranger Mode. That was a good challenge. Looking forward to playing Grounded mode after I've finished up on some other games :lol:. Probably have to play around a bit with it first to familiarize myself with the controls again B). Can probably try some of the new online trophies for that though.

I am currently playing Survivor+ (at least I am hoping that game did not glitched for me on this and that all difficulty trophies will unlock upon finishing this playthrough) and can say that this is not that difficult. I am currently 90% finished with the game and had only problems on couple of occasions, one fight with Joel and one fight with Ellie - both of them with infected enemies or opponents, the human kind is no threat at all, solid amount of ammo and smacking them with brick or a bottle and finishing with a deathblow works like a charm...

For Grounded we will see, it will be a challenge for sure....and Grounded+....why ND, why? :P

I just reached Bills and have only died twice. I'd say if you found Survivor easy this is no different except the hud is gone. I'm expecting pain once I get to the keycard place and the sewers lol

Edited by XPaddyCFCX

if grounded mode is one hit kill, whats GM+ gonna be...?

I'm on GM+... I used the glitch to skip the first playthrough and keep all my upgrades and stuff to make things ever so slightly easier. Hope it stacks.

• Like 1

I just reached Bills and have only died twice. I'd say if you found Survivor easy this is no differemt except the hud is gone. I'm expcting pain once I get to the keycard place and the sewers lol

I was as well when I played Survivor. Both areas went by very smoothly for me. For the keycard, obviously make sure you have it before you turn the power on.  Know your path and RUN! The sewers, I stuck to the right-hand side and had saved up so many items and materials that I just bombed them from behind the concrete blocks on the right. The toughest time I had on Survivor were mainly the Ellie portions. 

I'm on GM+... I used the glitch to skip the first playthrough and keep all my upgrades and stuff to make things ever so slightly easier. Hope it stacks.

I'm glad that you confirmed that this works. I hadn't been able to find an answer. I'm looking forward to playing the game again, but not twice!

• Like 1

Have made it to the first bloater - only one shotgun shell and one bullet left. Not in good shape at all.

There is no HUD at all, which is pretty cool. 

Almost everyone can one-hit kill you. Have really had no need for health packs since you are either alive or dead. The few times I have not died instantly (from shots from long range I think), the screen turns red around the edges to indicate damage. That effect fades after a few minutes, almost like regenerative health, which is not a TLOU thing.

Checkpoints have been removed from the midpoints of the bigger encounters - the graveyard, the backyards, the capitol building, the high school parking lot... *Not* looking forward to Ellie's fight with a bloater, that is going to suck big time. And if they removed the hospital checkpoint, well...

The AI seems smarter, but not tremendously different. They seem to notice dead bodies faster (I think...), so it is always good to haul enemies behind cover before choking them out (a good practice anyway). Their movements may be a bit more random and they do flank you better.

As if Survivor were not stealth enough, Grounded is pure Metal Gear Solid. I made it to the high school parking lot with only one gun kill - guns are just too loud. Wasted way too much ammo inside/outside the high school though.

Had a really hard time with Bill's trap - normally not that hard... Can't remember if Survivor had one-hit-kill for this (don't think so), but it seems you can't pistol whip enemies off of you if they get to you.

Also, oddly, some checkpoints have been moved. Bill's trap starts when you enter the room, not when you are already hanging - the graveyard sets you back to the burn pile, not the first courtyard.

Just very happy that ND did not impose an MGS European Extreme mode for Grounded.

Edited by warpsmith
  • Like 1

I'm glad that you confirmed that this works. I hadn't been able to find an answer. I'm looking forward to playing the game again, but not twice!

How to use that glitch? I recently finished the plat and would rather play just once more, not more two times  :unsure:  Help!

How to use that glitch? I recently finished the plat and would rather play just once more, not more two times  :unsure:  Help!

Start NG+ on any difficulty.

complete first chapter

when 2nd chapter starts, save the game and exit to main menu

choose chapter select and pick the 1st chapter

choose the difficulty that you want (Grounded in this case) and play to the end

*It hasn't been confirmed that the GM and GM+ trophies will both stack and unlock

• Like 1

Start NG+ on any difficulty.

complete first chapter

when 2nd chapter starts, save the game and exit to main menu

choose chapter select and pick the 1st chapter

choose the difficulty that you want (Grounded in this case) and play to the end

*It hasn't been confirmed that the GM and GM+ trophies will both stack and unlock

Actually, now I think about it, why would GM and GM+ stack? We're using a glitch that we're not supposed to, and the only other way to access GM+ is to do GM anyway. ND probably hasn't made it stackable unless they know about the glitch but have left it in to be kind? :dunno:

Actually, now I think about it, why would GM and GM+ stack? We're using a glitch that we're not supposed to, and the only other way to access GM+ is to do GM anyway. ND probably hasn't made it stackable unless they know about the glitch but have left it in to be kind? :dunno:

Not sure if they will or not. They all stacked in the normal game, plus and non-plus trophies.

I'm making my way very slowly through Grounded Mode.

I just recently made it to the hotel (I think it is?) where Hunters are found wandering about. Basically the part before you fall down the elevator shaft.

I've died many times, I'm not going to sit here and tell you I haven't died a lot. Mostly because I failed to be stealthy.

It's definitely not for someone who is impatient and likes to run towards the enemy. You really have to sit back and watch enemy paths before deciding a good opportunity to choke them out. Stealth is a must, supplies are scarce, enemies will kill you very quickly if you're unaware of them surrounding you. The AI themselves don't seem hard to get rid of, but then again I've just been choking them out.

To say the least, it has it's challenging moments. As it should for a tougher difficulty setting. I can only imagine it getting more challenging as I get further into the game.

Especially the part coming up. I don't deal well with aggressive infected running at me in dark corridors.

Give me 20 Hunters over a few infected any day.

Edited by HighOnStardust
  • Like 4

If it's anything like Metro's Ranger Mode, I'm keen. As long as it's not an 'Insane' (a la Outlast) game mode (which from what you guys are saying, it's not), it should definitely be achievable; not to say it won't be difficult though!

I'm seriously debating whether to play TLOU now and go for the platinum... OR to wait until the PS4 version before I play it again. Games like this, Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, MGS series I try to only play ONCE, and then come back to it in a year or two so the story and game is almost fresh (almost like experiencing it for the first time).

Regardless though, Grounded Mode should be a great challenge!