Question: Kids should be taught in a school for topics at a Grade 1 and beyond level, or by parents that may or may not be educated to do so?

Ares_Peverell

I want to know your opinion on this topic.

Should Kids be taught in a school setting for any topics on the Grade 1 and beyond level? (For reference this like basic math, science, and English we're talking about here)

Or should they be taught by the parents even though they may or may not be educated in said topics to actually teach it?

Edit: I'd like to add on that I am 100% in support of schools. I also have nothing against Homeschooling, I just find that Homeschooling takes the social aspect. I asked this because a lot of older family member were talking about how school should be taught by the parents and not by schools, and I disagreed with them. I just wanted your thoughts, and you all have made great points.

Thank you very much, I'll lock the topic if I can :)

Edited by Ares_Peverell
Edited my opinion and locking thread.

Yeah, definitely. A lot of current parents are relying way more on technology to parent their kids instead of doing it themselves, so I feel like putting them in charge of education as well wouldn’t be the greatest idea.

Education depends so much on the quality of the people teaching it. 

Doesn't matter how much you may be interested in a subject and have a willingness to learn, if you get unlucky and have a poor teacher teaching it, it'll completely destroy the whole learning experience for you and make you hate the subject and what you're being taught. 

I went to public schools my whole life and college and I can count on one hand the amount of truly good teachers I had in this time. And you know it when you get one. Teachers that have a passion for what they're teaching and it isn't just a job to them like most. It makes a huge impact on students and how they learn. Most of the stuff they teach in school is stuff you'll never need to know so you don't up retaining it after school so a lot of it is a waste of time. The value of education is a bit overrated. It's not necessarily what you went to school for and what books you read, it's more about what you know and can apply and those are two very different things. Higher education =/= higher intelligence.  

But as others have mentioned, school is not just about learning, it's about developing your social skills and finding out where you fit in with society. You don't get that with homeschooling and can be a big disadvantage once you do enter the 'real world' and work force as you'll be way behind socially. In most aspects, that's the most important aspect of public school. Developing your social skills which is equally as important as education, if not, more so. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

parents help with homework

I'm 14 and i'm not getting help from my parents while I do homework and I still got good grades. 

2 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

if you get unlucky and have a poor teacher teaching it, it'll completely destroy the whole learning experience for you and make you hate the subject and what you're being taught. 

I hate so much of the teachers I got this year, and I have to agree.. It affects ALOT compared to last year.

5 minutes ago, draqilo said:

I'm 14 and i'm not getting help from my parents while I do homework and I still got good grades. 

I hate so much of the teachers I got this year, and I have to agree.. It affects ALOT compared to last year.

Not all do and necessarily need to. I help mine when they need it or ask for it which is usually the case when they have a bad teacher in that subject. 

Me on the other hand never got any help with homework so I never did it and had to redo all my grades but a lot of my teachers were crap as well