The last cartoon you watched?

Not a show per se, but I've been watching the old Disney shorts with Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

pl4kls7.jpeg

He's Mickey Mouse's predecessor, so you can guess that he's super old. But it's fun to watch something from 96-97 years ago and look at visual gags that made people of that time laugh. A lot of them aged surprisingly well. From the history standpoint, it's also interesting to see how Disney's media empire grew. It's crazy that there were only 10 years between Oswald and the Snow White movie.

Edit: I want to watch Dexter's Labo at some point as well. Genndy Tartakovsky's style is so unique, recognisable, and iconic.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 3

It's been a while since I watched one but I'm fairly sure it was Samurai Jack. I feel like I should re-watch the 2003 Clone Wars series and Batman TAS at some point though.

Edit: Would a CG show count? If so I watched that CG Starship Troopers show called Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles which is funny to think that they actually made a kids show about Starship Troopers but despite that they managed to make it fairly mature enough and they show Arachnids being killed left and right with blue blood. It's supposed to be more accurate to the novel in which the characters have the power armor and the Skinnies are in it.

Edited by Redgrave
  • Like 3

On 2/24/2024 at 4:28 AM, Slava said:

Edit: I want to watch Dexter's Labo at some point as well. Genndy Tartakovsky's style is so unique, recognisable, and iconic.

I have somehow never heard of Oswald the rabbit, I’ll have to look into that.

I also didn’t know dexters lab was made by a Russian guy lol Learn something new every day.

spacer.png

Happy Saturday morning!

Edited by Mr_Fluffy_Pants_
  • Like 2

spacer.png

Quite the timely thread as I've just been watching The Fairly OddParents the past couple days on Netflix. 😊 Sadly it's only Season 7 in the UK, but good enough for a nostalgia trip. 

I used to watch this show when I was growing up and it always made me so happy. It was one of my favourite concepts for a cartoon.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ChilledBrandon said:

spacer.png

Quite the timely thread as I've just been watching The Fairly OddParents the past couple days on Netflix. 😊 Sadly it's only Season 7 in the UK, but good enough for a nostalgia trip. 

I used to watch this show when I was growing up and it always made me so happy. It was one of my favourite concepts for a cartoon.

I remember having that episode where Timmy wishes for everything to be muted recorded on VHS. I don't even know why that one specifically unless it was just from when I was messing around with VHS recordings because I also remembered having that SpongeBob episode where Mr. Krabs wants to date Ms. Puff after that one among a bunch of other stuff I would randomly record. But I remember watching it so many times I could probably just quote and act out the episode from memory :P

• Like 2

spacer.png

Cannot overstate how much this show means to me. Having a Disney protagonist with neurodivergences is such a huge thing and a great comfort because I relate to it so much. I adore Luz, she's an amazing character in both how she's written and her whole personality and backstory <3 

And that isn't even getting into the story, other characters etc which I really enjoy! It's not actually my favourite cartoon, but it's the one that's the most comforting to me

• Like 3

spacer.png

Pinky and the Brain

“Cartoon chaos with the genius mouse and his stupid sidekick who try to conquer the world each night“

Another classic 90s cartoon from my childhood. I’m sure some of the younger members of the site haven’t heard of this one, since it finished in ‘98.

It’s hilarious, and I recommend you check it out if you haven’t already.

• Like 4

spacer.png

After hating on it for years, I finally started Steven Universe... I just finished Future a few days ago. It was seriously so much better than I expected. The world-building, characterization, and plot were all really good. I expected it to be mainly filler with some plot sprinkled in, but there was important information in almost every single episode! It touched on some serious topics too.. I wish I could've been part of the fandom back when it was airing, instead of a bystander xP

• Like 2

Brian Jacques' Redwall (1999)

This is one of my favorite childhood shows from the year I was born, 1999. Season 1 was fantastic, I like Season 2 and 3. I saw all of the episodes on Tubi. It's been a nostalgic trip so far. For the first time I was watching this, it aired on PBS when I live in U.S. since 2001. I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

I AM THAT IS! 🐁 🗡 

spacer.png

Edited by SnapsDaMouse
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

Disneys Gargoyles 

1994-1997

One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled. It was a time of darkness. It was a world of fear. It was the age of gargoyles. Stone by day, warriors by night, We were betrayed by the humans we had sworn to protect, frozen in stone by a magic spell for a thousand years. Now, here in Manhattan, the spell is broken, and we live again

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

CYBERSIX

I revisit this series every few years. Cybersix is probably one of the greatest superhero cartoons I’ve seen, with one of the coolest protagonists in my opinion. Awesome monster-of-the-week style of show, and with downright gorgeous animation. I especially love the design of the gargoyle creatures in one of the episodes.

From what I’ve heard, the comics are much darker and Teletoon had to make some serious edits to make it more kid friendly I guess.

Edited by SmileSlice
Corrected spelling and grammar.
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, chriee said:

Currently rewatching the old Beavis & Butt-Head cartoons, last watched the episode "Patsies" toward the end of season 5.

They still hold up.

I just watched the newest season and the new movie actually on paramount +. Wasn’t a fan of the movie honestly, the newest season isn’t bad but didn’t enjoy it as much as the older ones when I was younger. Still quite a few hilarious parts though.

spacer.png

The episodes where beavis and butt head are adults now were my favourite.

I watched the newest season of futurama (from last year I think?) on Disney+, it was very good.

I always thought futurama had really good writing, glad to see it back. Hope it doesn’t get canceled for what the third(?) time lol

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The world needs a hero more than ever. However it doesn't need a hero that is a man of steel or a caped crusader, but a freak. Not your ordinary every day freak, but a Freakazoid!

MV5BMDJlODY5MDAtMzE3YS00MWVjLThhOTktMzQ3OTJjMjY5OTZhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODA4OTIyMzY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Made by the same creators as Batman TAS and the DCAU in general, Freakazoid is a parody of superhero stuff and the humor lands gracefully. There isn't an episode where I didn't burst out laughing at least once and it's probably because the creators and everyone involved were clearly having fun with it. Part of the joke is that they have high profile actors and just have them say stupid things. For example, they have Ricardo Montalban (Khan in Star Trek II) play an over the top villain and gets offended when Freakazoid calls him a weenie.

They also have Tim Curry play a role in one episode too and it's as great as you would expect. Ed Asner also does a great role as the police officer Cosgrove and my favorite running joke with him is when he points at whoever and goes "Hey, cut it out!" and they stop whatever they are doing :P

Spoiler

If only Master Vrook said that to Revan and Malak, the Jedi Civil War and other subsequent events could have been prevented.

Freakazoid is just hilarious all around and I can't recommend it enough. It's a shame it was short lived because of ratings and execs thought a third season would have been too expensive but they made do with what they could and you could tell how much fun they had with it. If only we could have seen a crossover with Freakazoid and other DCAU characters which they even joke about a couple of times with one where Freakazoid gets asked if he will crossover with Superman TAS and one of the earlier jokes is referencing that Batman is on another network so he can't help.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I'm done with Disney's Oswald shorts. Unless I find more, it's Winkler productions and then Walter Lantz. So I'll start the Mickey Mouse era now.

Plane Crazy is the first Mickey cartoon (and Minnie too). Steamboat Willie was actually the third short featuring the mouse that was made, but the first that was shown publicly. 

It was cool. I like how it used the first person perspective to add a bit of tension when things go out of control. The animation was smooth, the familiar visual gags are there. The romantic subplot is something reminiscent of Oswald shorts too, in which Mickey learns that "No" means "No". Or maybe he doesn't 😁. That little bastard.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...