Purpose of Trophy Checklists

PHIL_DADDY1

I've tried to find an explanation for what this section of the forums are for - Trophy Checklists - but can't find one.

It seems like a bit of a mixed bag in the directory of what people are using this for.

What is the intention of this category?

12 minutes ago, PHIL_DADDY1 said:

I've tried to find an explanation for what this section of the forums are for - Trophy Checklists - but can't find one.

It seems like a bit of a mixed bag in the directory of what people are using this for.

It’s a sub-forum for people to talk about their profiles, their trophies, and whatever else they want to talk about. 

It’s not rigidly defined, but generally if someone talks about coming up with a plan to earn trophies (check them off a list, if you will), then it goes here. Or if they want to recount earning trophies, that also goes here. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, PHIL_DADDY1 said:

I was wondering this too as one of my topics was moved to this category. Mine and two other peoples related topics in the same forum were moved here. My topic talks about my journey in completing a certain game to completion and so were the two others. I checked several topics on this forum and it seems for the most part talking about earning trophies with multiple games but mine was talking about completion with one game so I thought it would make sense for it to be in that games forum page. Since It would be a lot more helpful for people going to platinum that game to know what to look out for. My topic was also on that game's forum for about 2 months and I also spotted a mod there months before and they did not move it then so why the sudden change? Another related topic was also on that forum for 4 months and was also suddenly moved.

Edited by UnknownProphesy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, UnknownProphesy said:

Another related topic was also on that forum for 4 months and was also suddenly moved.

In your case, there were multiple posts on the same topic, and since we have a no duplicate topics rule, in order to stop the inevitable eventual 20 abandoned threads of people repeating the same thing, it was either merge them all into one thread on the same topic, or move them here where the topic of working towards the trophies on a game is the idea.

• Like 2

Usually the consensus is that here you're talking about your experiences with games that you play/played. Of course, it's not a rule, but most members of the forum use the checklists for videogame reviews. Kinda like a blog, really. 

As CelestialRequiem correctly mentioned, it's also a rather safe haven, unsavory people actually kinda avoid this part of the site. Must be because of all the game talking and reading required 😂

But simply put, if you enjoyed your games and your platinum journeys and want to share your experience, usually here is where you'd want to post.

• Like 4

A lot of different folks write different in different styles, documenting their gaming experience- either platinum by platinum, or delving into a series, or talking about games they liked or didn’t like and why.

I like it because, - at least the way I use it, following various threads curated and written by the same authors for a long while - I’ve gotten to know their tastes and their styles…

…so I can check in every few weeks and read a bunch, of good stuff - and it has some of the same feeling as the old “game magazine” days.

I’ll get some interesting takes on games know, some awareness of games I’ve heard of but not played, and some new games put on my radar, and knowing the person who wrote it, and their tastes, can gauge pretty accurately if it’s one I should look out for myself.

Plus - in the checklists, the sniping and the snark tends to get left at the waters edge.
We can disagree on games completely, but without it descending into gutter-sniping, and everyone tends to respect the others opinion, because whether we agree or not, we’re all generally aware of the effort involved in articulating it, and putting it out there, and respect the effort and the process.

Occasionally there will be the odd knuckle-fuck walloper who stumbles in, and drops a drive-by turdlet like they would on the wider site…

…but they tend to get the short shrift from everyone, and just get salty and piss off back to the more public forums.

TL:DR:

It’s the part of the site where people are nice to each-other, and talk about…

…y’know…

liking games, rather than how much they hate them all.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Copanele said:

Kinda like a blog, really. 

Sums it up nicely for me. I started writing here when I looked for a place to talk about games I had  played in a more profound manner. Started in the "most recent platinum" thread and then transitioned here. It didn't fit my actual blog which relates to my work as both an author and a local politician, so this is a perfect space.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

A lot of different folks write different in different styles, documenting their gaming experience- either platinum by platinum, or delving into a series, or talking about games they liked or didn’t like and why.

I like it because, - at least the way I use it, following various threads curated and written by the same authors for a long while - I’ve gotten to know their tastes and their styles…

…so I can check in every few weeks and read a bunch, of good stuff - and it has some of the same feeling as the old “game magazine” days.

I’ll get some interesting takes on games know, some awareness of games I’ve heard of but not played, and some new games put on my radar, and knowing the person who wrote it, and their tastes, can gauge pretty accurately if it’s one I should look out for myself.

Plus - in the checklists, the sniping and the snark tends to get left at the waters edge.
We can disagree on games completely, but without it descending into gutter-sniping, and everyone tends to respect the others opinion, because whether we agree or not, we’re all generally aware of the effort involved in articulating it, and putting it out there, and respect the effort and the process.

Occasionally there will be the odd knuckle-fuck walloper who stumbles in, and drops a drive-by turdlet like they would on the wider site…

…but they tend to get the short shrift from everyone, and just get salty and piss off back to the more public forums.

TL:DR:

It’s the part of the site where people are nice to each-other, and talk about…

…y’know…

liking games, rather than how much they hate them all.

I've been reading yours and a few others checklists for so long then I finally bit the bullet and made my own. And I agree this part of the forums is definitely a lot more peaceful and less miscreants!

12 hours ago, Copanele said:

Must be because of all the game talking and reading required 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1