how to know that my PS3 hasn't been jailbreak?

OmriStyle27

i just bought a used PS3 and i want to know for sure that the last owner of this console didn't jailbreak it , i asked him already and he said no but i just want to know for sure before i log in with my main account.

I have a Slim PS3 version 4.86

i also understand that you can see OFW and 2 folder named app_home and PS3_GAME , but i don't where i can see all of that.

I think you only need to update the system software to the latest version🤔 or try to bait an alternative account if sony going to ban and thats the proof your ps3 was jailbroken😅

Edited by ReverzerO-

im  not sure how jailbreak is installed, but im guessing you could prob just format the system? itll wipe everything out back to factory settings. i tried linux and windows on my ps3 when it had otheros in the beginning and a format got rid of it because i could never get it to function very good 

30 minutes ago, ReverzerO- said:

I think you only need to update the system software to the latest version🤔 or try to bait an alternative account if sony going to ban and thats the proof your ps3 is jailbroken😅

yeah i tried to do that but after that i read somewhere that if they ban you they don't only ban your account , the ban the PS3 as well lol so it's probably not a good idea😅

16 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

im  not sure how jailbreak is installed, but im guessing you could prob just format the system? itll wipe everything out back to factory settings. i tried linux and windows on my ps3 when it had otheros in the beginning and a format got rid of it because i could never get it to function very good 

Yeah i think i will format the system just be sure , but man why does it takes so long?

need to wait 18 hours for a full reboot😅

I don’t really know much about this tbh but you could try going to System > System Settings and check System Information to see the software version. If it’s up to date (v4.91) there’s a good chance it’s OFW as I’ve heard CFW has to run on an older version. 🤷‍♂️

56 minutes ago, ReverzerO- said:

I think you only need to update the system software to the latest version🤔 or try to bait an alternative account if sony going to ban and thats the proof your ps3 was jailbroken😅

I know that you wrote it just for fun, but according to Urban Legends it is not the account being banned, but the whole system, so I wouldn't recommend that method ;).

15 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I don’t really know much about this tbh but you could try going to System > System Settings and check System Information to see the software version. If it’s up to date (v4.91) there’s a good chance it’s OFW as I’ve heard CFW has to run on an older version. 🤷‍♂️

And that's how it shall be done.

1 hour ago, OmriStyle27 said:

i also understand that you can see OFW and 2 folder named app_home and PS3_GAME , but i don't where i can see all of that.

No, you can not see something like that on OFW system.

Edited by Smashero
  • Like 2

I bought a PS3 without knowing CFW was installed. But after I started the PS3 the loading screen was different and there was something with CFW. I wanted to exchange the HDD anyway so I replaced it. otherwise, simply format the hard drive and install the original PS3 fw

Edited by vsvpl1501
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, vsvpl1501 said:

I bought a PS3 without knowing CFW was installed. But after I started the PS3 the loading screen was different and there was something with CFW. I wanted to exchange the HDD anyway so I replaced it. otherwise, simply format the hard drive and install the original PS3 fw

yeah i will format the hard drive but too bad it takes such a long time , 18 hours.

50 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

35 minutes ago, Smashero said:

I know that you wrote it just for fun, but according to Urban Legends it is not the account being banned, but the whole system, so I wouldn't recommend that method ;).

And that's how it shall be done.

No, you can not see something like that on OFW system.

my version is 4.86 which i'm still guessing its a good sign because the version is not so old.

anyway i updated to the latest version and log in with a test account i created just now and good news is this PS3 is not banned.

(if a PS3 is banned once you will try to log in to it it will show a message on screen that basically says that this PS3 is banned.)

If your firmware version just says "4.86" you're fine. CFW would say something like "4.86.1". But depending on how it was jailbroken, you'd see things on your XMB that you know aren't supposed to normally be there. In other words you can tell a console is jailbroken. This .1 is also the thing that tips off Sony's servers...however, the threat of playing on jailbroken hardware isn't what it used to be, Sony isn't worried about the PS3 anymore so long as you're not doing something stupid like hacking trophies or cheating online. No one has reported being banned for it in years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OmriStyle27 said:

yeah i will format the hard drive but too bad it takes such a long time , 18 hours.

Jeah :D It was the same for me. I left the ps3 running overnight. Only to install an ssd 2 days later ...

• Haha 1

There are some ways to tell if a system has CFW or HFW (Hybrid Firmware, Hen).

Upon boot screen, if you see something like Hen or Evilnat, then chances are the PS3 has CFW/HFW. If you also see some folders, starting with star in front of them (e.g. Packet Manager), or “Enable Hen” under Game then the system is also containing CFW/HFW.

Speaking for Hen/HFW, you can boot the PS3 in the safe mode and install the latest update (make sure to do this procedure twice) to revert back to OFW. Sadly I can’t talk about CFW/Evilnat since I don’t know about it too much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Viper said:

If your firmware version just says "4.86" you're fine. CFW would say something like "4.86.1". But depending on how it was jailbroken, you'd see things on your XMB that you know aren't supposed to normally be there. In other words you can tell a console is jailbroken. This .1 is also the thing that tips off Sony's servers...however, the threat of playing on jailbroken hardware isn't what it used to be, Sony isn't worried about the PS3 anymore so long as you're not doing something stupid like hacking trophies or cheating online. No one has reported being banned for it in years. 

Thanks for the comforting reply , yeah i was thinking the same thing.

it's such an old console and from what i understand sony will probably abandon it completely once they'll shut down the PS Store because they will not make anymore money out of it.

but just to be on the safe side i will format the system completely.

3 hours ago, XxIsa-GxX said:

There are some ways to tell if a system has CFW or HFW (Hybrid Firmware, Hen).

Upon boot screen, if you see something like Hen or Evilnat, then chances are the PS3 has CFW/HFW. If you also see some folders, starting with star in front of them (e.g. Packet Manager), or “Enable Hen” under Game then the system is also containing CFW/HFW.

Speaking for Hen/HFW, you can boot the PS3 in the safe mode and install the latest update (make sure to do this procedure twice) to revert back to OFW. Sadly I can’t talk about CFW/Evilnat since I don’t know about it too much.

I checked everything that you said and didn't find anything weird.

to be honest , i think my console is legit but just to be on the safe side i will format the system.

58 minutes ago, TheSpinsk said:

The chances for being banned on a jailbroken PS3 in 2024 is so low. Sony doesn't give a shit about the PS3. It's only if you fuck around too much with CFW or sum.

yeah i read on many other forums that people are playing online games for years on a jailbroken PS3 and they never got banned.

they just don't do stupid things like using mods in games or use cheats to unlock trophies.

anyway i format the system of my PS3 completely just to be on the safe side (even tho i didn't saw anything weird that related to a jailbroken ps3).

Edited by OmriStyle27