Games that took you by surprise

merciful84

Red Dead Redemption - I was never a big fan of westerns, but I got to play this on someone else's PS3.  Loved it instantly, and it was actually the first game I purchased once I got my own PS3.

For some reason I got exhausted from playing this game and it certainly wasn't the first or biggest open world game that I played. I don't know if it was because western aren't really my thing or what. But I had to take a break from it and play a few other games in between before finishing it.

Spider-Man 3: I actually really ended up liking this game! I will say that it was first sign of licensed games getting better overall this past generation. The story missions and ending played out even better than the movie imo.

Heavy Rain: Downloaded the demo as the first thing on my PS3 while waiting for FF13 to come out a few days later. Instantly drawn in and mesmerized by the gameplay. Ended up being my first platinum,

Assassins Creed III: If anyone played every title up to this one and wasn't surprised during the "Haytham bringing Charles in" scene, you're lying or you spent way too much time on the internet beforehand. I got AC2 when I got my PS3 and didn't play it for months. Picked up AC1 for a couple bucks and when I finished, I wasn't too excited to play 2. The gameplay and story in 2 really got me hooked, so I played Bloodlines, Brotherhood, Revelations and finally picked up III. My jaw dropped during that scene and I was stunned for at least 5 seconds. When Desmond next says "Wait, What?", I out loud said "What the F#*&!"

Echochrome: Another simply designed game that surprised me how great it is.

Bioshock Infinite- I loved the first. The second was okay. But Infinite was amazing. My favorite part is near the beginning. When Booker was in the church. I just love the song playing and walking through the people to get cleansed.

Uncharted Series- At first I didn't give to shakes about the games. But finally a friend convinced me to get the first. And I've been a fan boy ever since.

Mirrors Edge- I don't really know if there are fans out there. But I loved this game. No the story might not have been super amazing. But it just felt so good. Not many game give you a free running experience like Mirrors Edge. I has a wonderful time with this game and, I'm looking forward to number 2.

Killer Instinct- I always knew people who loved Mortal Kombat. So one day i found the first Killer Instinct at Vintage Stock and bought it. I never knew what kind of game it was i just like the picture on the front. I was like "WOW" i played better that Mortal Kombat. To this day it is still my third favorite fighting game behind. Persona 4 Arena and the BlazBlue series.

Skyrim- I've hated on this game a lot on some of these threads so might as well keeping going. So many friends recommended this game to me because I LOVE Dragon Age. So i was like"Okay i get it and try it.". Well that is the seconds worst game I've ever bought right behind Twisted Metal on PS2. It felt like a cheap know off of Dragon Age. I know Elder Scrolls came first but, I've never liked any of the Elder Scrolls games. I felt was to open for me and the story was unbearable. The controls were... never mind I'll end my rant. I could go on forever about this game and why I don't like it.

Heavy Rain: Downloaded the demo as the first thing on my PS3 while waiting for FF13 to come out a few days later. Instantly drawn in and mesmerized by the gameplay. Ended up being my first platinum,

I'd agree Heavy Rain is an amazing game. I loved playing it and it has great replay value.

Tales of Xillia - I have never been a fan of JRPG's, before playing Xillia the only experience I had with them was the Pokemon games. Win it came to JRPG's on consoles I just simply ignored them, and in my PS1 days, I started a few but didn't get more than an hour deep. I decided to give this game a chance after seeing how much praise it got from site members. This game is the one that opened my eyes and made me see past all my misconceptions about the genre. After completing it, i wanted more - so I decided that I would play Ni no Kuni, and I absolutely loved it.

PES 2014 - I know nothing about soccer or about sports in general, I have never played a sport and I have seen maybe a combined total of two minutes of televised sport matches. Yet another game I took a chance on and yet another that paid off, Thanks to Plus I recently got this game for free and am glad I played it. I have no idea what I am doing while playing it, but with every game played I learn a little more, and with every game played the fun factor increases for me. I get a thrill every time I score a goal, especially after a lengthy battle of trying to get the ball back in my teams possession.

These two games have really helped in expanding my taste in games. Xillia helped me to end this unwarranted dislike I had of JRPG's and led me to play the amazing Ni no Kuni. PES showed me that you don't need to be a diehard sports fan to find enjoyment or fun in a sports game. I'll definitely be playing more games from these genres

Uncharted - Going into this, I was expecting a mediocre shooter. And while I don't enjoy the shooting sections, I do enjoy the climbing even if it is rather simplistic.

Arkedo Series - I'm surprised how much I enjoyed ARKEDO 1 and 3. Very fun games. 2 on the other hand...

Beyond Good & Evil - I went into this game completely blind. I knew nothing about it other than it was an easy trophy list (and hey, it was on sale). Loved every single minute of it, slightly too short but I liked the design of the levels, the side-quest type things you can do for orbs...

Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock - I had heard, before starting this, time and time again that the game was one of the worst things people had played... Yet I actually enjoyed it.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Ok, who had the bright idea of turning Harry Potter into a shooter? :facepalm:

Rayman 3 HD - I loved this game on the PS2. One of my favourites and I remember numbering my save files and I think I finished it around 19 or 20 times. Playing through it again on PS3, I was surprised to find how repetitive it was. Some things are best left to memory.

Sound Shapes - Will they ever stop with the DLC!?

Tekken Revolution - No DLC yet! I am both happy and surprised, considering it's a free game.

WipEout HD - Everyone kept saying 'this is totez the hardest plat on PS3' and 'dat WipEout gane is so hard yo' and as everyone kept saying "oh, madbuk only plays easy games" and it was on my list anyway, I decided to give it a go. Beat Zico was a bitch, but with Zico out the way, I found Elite was a very good difficulty and had a perfect balance between luck and skill - except for the time trial parts... Loved this game.

• Like 1

Arkedo Series - I'm surprised how much I enjoyed ARKEDO 1 and 3. Very fun games. 2 on the other hand...

Beyond Good & Evil - I went into this game completely blind. I knew nothing about it other than it was an easy trophy list (and hey, it was on sale). Loved every single minute of it, slightly too short but I liked the design of the levels, the side-quest type things you can do for orbs...

Definately 2 great games. I can't say that I was taken by surprise though since Arkedo Series looked right up my alley and I heard nothing but great things about Beyond Good & Evil.

Bioshock 2:When i first tried this game back in february i hated it i only got to about the second level before i put it away,i hated the combat system(mainly the fact you moved to slow)and i hated the atmosphere(i hate games that are set that so far back in time,thats also the reason why la noire has been gathering dust).But today i picjed it back up again(running out of games to play)and i have to say after a few hours of playing i got used to the combat system(it became unimportant)thanxs to the story whuch just pulled me in si now i plan on getting bioshick infinite out my bscklog to play that than someday i willvget bioshock.

Yeah I can understand why Bioshock 2 put off a lot people. If you're expecting much of the same from the first game then intitially you'll be let down. But its actually what I liked about it: It moved on from telling just Rapture's story and focused on a particular character's and had you playing as an unlikely protagonist. I think 2K did a great job making me feel that I was indeed in control of a Big Daddy than a normal human being. From the weapons you carry, duel wielding of plasmids and firearms, to how the overall game is played (options with the little sisters, etc).

Edited by merciful84

Farcry 3. I had it on xbox and PC (freebie with GPU at the time) and tbh I hated FC2. After a couple of hours on FC3 however and a fan was made. Absolutley outstanding and so so addictive. I really didn't want it to end. Hence its on my backlog of games for PS3. Fantastic game, my only gripe, co-op lobbies..not been able to choose your level is a sin :angry:

Like wise Bioshock. I brought it on a steam sale ( Bio Inf) and fell in love. I played the first on release and couldnt really get passed the first couple of levels, I just did'nt get the hype. All I can say is I now own B1+2 to play after I finish Inf on PS3 (found them for 8£ for the pair second hand) and its one of the few games I'll be picking up all dlc for on payday too. Looking back I just don;t know why I didn't get into the original *sad panda face*

Edited by Dognoms

Skyrim - i remember hearing about this back in 2012 and everyone was talking about it , a year passes and its 2013 i tried to remember what game it was that everyone was talking about, and somehow end up stumbling upon morrowind and oblivion i put a few hours into both of them , but then i ended up stumbling back upon skyrim and was just simply amazed when i played it , i was so excited and awed that i ended up playing the game for 2 months straight , my life was all about skyrim during the first few months of that year...

definetly puppeter. i though it was just another boring platformer given for ps plus but damn was it a surprise. also battlefield 2 . it's my first bf game played and i wasnt aware you could destroy buildings until i missfired a rpg in a wall and it blew and i was like holy shit i did that.

Edited by drevviill