Toys for Bob Going Independent

fenrir54565

An odd development, but makes sense of that rumour some time ago of them getting shut down. I suspect there is some Microsoft PR nonsense going on. They've been afraid to close any studios or even crack the whip at all out of fear of bad PR for a long time now. As such my guess is they told Toys for Bob that rather than getting cut, they can instead go independent and get some good future deals on IPs that Microsoft now owns. Microsoft gets to cut these guys while being able to put forward that they're such good guys for letting them go independent, win win.

1 hour ago, mcnichoj said:

You think MS acquired mascot characters that rival Sonic just to not use them? They both have some merch sprinkled out in the public right now and I think MS will notice that smidge extra profit they generate. They have a solid mascot character with Master Chief for the Xbox brand but that's more mature/teen+ demographic. They've never had a successful cutesy/kid mascot. They tried in the past with the likes of Blinx, Viva Pinata and Kinectimals but none of those ever stuck. Crash (and lesser extent Spyro) is one of the top ten most beloved 90's video game related mascot characters. I don't see them not capitalizing on owning him.

Sonic has a large dedicated fanbase. Sonic gets constant games. Sonic has had several animated shows. Sonic has had live action movies that actually did pretty well. Sonic actually can make new fans rather than coasting on stuff from 20 years ago to ever less success. That Sonic? Come on now. Have some respect here. Sonic is no Mario certainly, but it is many levels above the rest you've mentioned, and that's not an insult, that is just a fact of life.

If they intend to capitalise on those IPs then why would they let Toys for Bob go? If you think that it would be good business for Microsoft to use those IPs... what exactly has happened in the last decade that tells you that Xbox knows what good business is? I'll actually give Xbox this one, minor as it is. Those IPs are worthless to Xbox and they'd just be wasting their money and effort trying. By letting Toys for Bob go, who'll no doubt want to use the IPs (paying Microsoft), they'll be able to at least make a small amount of money from the IPs at no cost to themselves. As for Toys for Bob. Being beholden to Microsoft on the IPs, which aren't even strong ones, is foolish and will no doubt doom them to failure. Instead they should actually bet on themselves and try to develop their own IP in the genre. Would you disagree with me on that last part?

1 hour ago, Zephrese said:

I just don't trust them to do so (especially given how they've treated Banjo), or at least to do so properly without a bunch of strings attached. Although, to be fair, I don't think that Sony would either if the roles were reversed given their obsession with blockbusters. lol

Either way they've not given me any more reason than ABK to expect much of anything good out of 'em on this in particular, but I'd be very happy if things turn out much more positive in the end than they currently seem.

Sony certainly wouldn't no. That said, I could see that changing in the future. If Microsoft gives up on Xbox then PlayStation will be able to shift some of their focus elsewhere, and that area would be a key one I think for them. Out of the big three only Nintendo really has any capacity for making young fans which is a vital demographic. As such I could see the new boss, whoever that may end up, deciding that they should be making/buying up some studios to put out games to try and appeal to the younger demographic.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Sonic has a large dedicated fanbase. Sonic gets constant games. Sonic has had several animated shows. Sonic has had live action movies that actually did pretty well. Sonic actually can make new fans rather than coasting on stuff from 20 years ago to ever less success. That Sonic? Come on now. Have some respect here. Sonic is no Mario certainly, but it is many levels above the rest you've mentioned, and that's not an insult, that is just a fact of life.

Err I’m pretty sure he is saying Microsoft’s previous attempts with mascot characters weren’t good and that having Spyro and crash are two mascot characters that coikd  rival a character like sonic.

• Like 1

As a Crash & Spyro fan, this seems like bad news. A very talented team that will probably make something great, but considering that Crash Team Rumber also announced it is getting its final update alongside this announcement, it probably means they won't be touching the IP much. Granted, they may have already made or worked extensively on Spyro 4 at this point, but guess we will see,

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 6:56 PM, JPtheNeurotic said:

Err I’m pretty sure he is saying Microsoft’s previous attempts with mascot characters weren’t good and that having Spyro and crash are two mascot characters that coikd  rival a character like sonic.

No love for Clippy?!

• Like 1