Toys for Bob Going Independent

fenrir54565

Would love to see a return to Skylanders for Toys for Bob. My kid really enjoyed the games and they were pretty good platformers.

Congrats to Toys for Bob for going Independent. Hopefully with all the knowledge and experienced they gained, they can better navigate success going forward and stay indie.

• Like 2

Might be for the best, they could work on smaller scale new IP or, like mentioned above, partner with publisher like Microsoft. But I wonder what this means for Crash and Spyro, might still happen since MS owns them but seems less likely TFB will be involved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, majob said:

Teaming up with the company that cut your jobs is a funny one.

"We have experience with all the assets of one (or more) of your IPs and can put out a well-selling title faster then you can bring in a new team to get up to speed and deliver something. Sign here and we'll take the money up front this time."

Could make sense under the right conditions...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Would love to see a return to Skylanders for Toys for Bob. My kid really enjoyed the games and they were pretty good platformers.

Congrats to Toys for Bob for going Independent. Hopefully with all the knowledge and experienced they gained, they can better navigate success going forward and stay indie.

A new Skylanders game would be amazing. Maybe not a new toy line to go with it this time though. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Yes, it was. Hence the announcement of things changing. They’re breaking away from Microsoft. 

Ahh I got confused by the initial announcement lol I had it in my head they were breaking from activision to work with Microsoft and was like wait what lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JavaNext said:

Might be for the best, they could work on smaller scale new IP or, like mentioned above, partner with publisher like Microsoft. But I wonder what this means for Crash and Spyro, might still happen since MS owns them but seems less likely TFB will be involved.

Crash and/or Spyro could be TFB's first project post independency.

8 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

So breaking away from ActivisionBlizzard (who's owned by Microsoft) to go independent and potentially collab with Microsoft?

It may seem weird but it was an amicable split. I'm guessing TFB bought themselves out which MS would have needed to agree to. Then they're familiar with some IPs that MS now owns with MS only needing to worry about giving them a lump sum for them to then handle the rest of the development by themselves and less oversight needed by MS. More burden is on TBS's shoulders now to make a really good game.

6 hours ago, Zephrese said:

Really concerned about the future of Crash and - especially - Spyro now. ;;

You think MS acquired mascot characters that rival Sonic just to not use them? They both have some merch sprinkled out in the public right now and I think MS will notice that smidge extra profit they generate. They have a solid mascot character with Master Chief for the Xbox brand but that's more mature/teen+ demographic. They've never had a successful cutesy/kid mascot. They tried in the past with the likes of Blinx, Viva Pinata and Kinectimals but none of those ever stuck. Crash (and lesser extent Spyro) is one of the top ten most beloved 90's video game related mascot characters. I don't see them not capitalizing on owning him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

I don't see them not capitalizing on owning him.

I just don't trust them to do so (especially given how they've treated Banjo), or at least to do so properly without a bunch of strings attached. Although, to be fair, I don't think that Sony would either if the roles were reversed given their obsession with blockbusters. lol

Either way they've not given me any more reason than ABK to expect much of anything good out of 'em on this in particular, but I'd be very happy if things turn out much more positive in the end than they currently seem.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 4

I'm forever thankful for the Spyro and Crash Remasters, brought a lot of memories from my childhood of me playing the original games.

I wish them all good sucess on their goals of being indepedent.

• Like 3